Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th November 2015, 13:09   #34421  |  Link
Knight77

After many many test I can confirm that the function to move the subs in the black bars

In both my PC works only if I use xysubfilter.dll 745 or previous . Why? Can anyone give me a solution about this? I'd like to use the last version :-(

I got that version by aracnoz in a post in Dsplayer thread and is the only one working (both in dsplayer and mphc)....

Last edited by Knight77; 29th November 2015 at 12:36.
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 19:54   #34422  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Warner I forgot to ask....

1. I havent used this forum in years but Im not getting any instant email notifications when someone posts on this thread even though Ive subscribed to it and have instant emails not ticked. Do you know whats might be wrong?

2. I have had all four image doubling sections turned on to always, is that why Im sure sometimes the BD images look at times to either skip or jump a tiny bit in places, something looks unnatural with the smoothness of the image?

3. What is image doubling for? As I also use a few files and trailers off youtube always trying to get 1080p/720p but sometime have to use 480, is image doubling good for these? If so can it be set so it doesnt play with the BD rips?

4. Also in the source section of madvr do I select projector since thats what I use?

Im running the HTPC via an HDMI splitter so one of the outs goes direct to the proj, the other out direct to the Marantz 8802 for audio only.
1. I don't know anything about email updates and don't use this forum all that often. Someone else would have to help you with that one.

2-3. Image doubling and image upscaling are the same thing. Image doubling is a more sophisticated form of image upscaling. Its advantage is it's typically better in key measures of upscaling: sharpness, aliasing and ringing. But, its limitation is it can only double the image in both directions.

So, for image doubling to be useful, you need a scaling factor of at least 2x. When upscaling to 1080p, this represents a resolution of 960 x 540 (540 x 2 = 1080p). Image doubling + SuperRes(3) looks really great with SD content.

4. Yes, you want to set your device as a projector as this will open up a "screen configuration" option, which allows you to set the aspect ratio of your screen. Other devices assume you are always displaying the image at 16:9.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 21:13   #34423  |  Link
aufkrawall

I'm using D3D11 in windowed fullscreen on Windows 10 for a few days now and so far there hasn't been a problem with playback jittering/tearing.
Either something has been fixed in the current Nvidia drivers (using 359.00) or it was the big Windows 10 November update.
However, instead now there sometimes is some graphical corruption on the desktop after leaving windowed fullscreen which disappers when moving a window over it or pressing F5. Probably either a NV driver or DWM bug, but it's very minor.

If the issue is really gone for good, madVR is totally bug-free for me in its current shape.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 21:28   #34424  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

I need a helping hand again, if anyone can advice me.

I get random crashes (very often) when changing from normal to fullscreen, using right click and full screen, or alt+enter. The mpc-hc + madvr crashes, but windows does not crash. I wanted to ask, why this might happen, I will post a log file, if anyone can give me a hang on how to read the log file, or how to generate it.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 23:19   #34425  |  Link
truexfan81

i get a crash 1 out of every 3 times i launch a video lol and its only when using madvr, funny thing is the crash reports always point to the nvidia driver happens with absolutely every version of the nvidia driver too.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 06:47   #34426  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Try that (I assume this is 1080p -> 1080p):[list][*]Chroma: NNEDI3 128 neurons
I think I might still be getting dropped frames with my madvr set to 128 neurons, how to I test it, I believe there is a place in JRiver?

Also as I am actually running two monitors, the Sony VW1100 projector in the cinema and a 1080p monitor in the foyer, is madvr getting affected as its actually working on 2 display's?

The proj and the monitor at the same time...
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 06:49   #34427  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I think I might still be getting dropped frames with my madvr set to 128 neurons, how to I test it, I believe there is a place in JRiver?
Dropped frames are viewable in the OSD (CTRL-J)
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 06:52   #34428  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

Also as I am actually running two monitors, the Sony VW1100 projector in the cinema and a 1080p monitor in the foyer, is madvr getting affected as its actually working on 2 display's?

The proj and the monitor at the same time...
Reduce the number of neurons to 64.

This is taken from an online guide:

How Do I Measure the Performance of My Chosen Settings?

Once the settings have been configured to your liking, it is important madVR's settings match the capabilities of your hardware. To determine this, the menu below can be overlaid during playback by pressing Cntrl + J to provide feedback on your PC’s rendering performance. Combining several settings labelled Medium or higher will create a large load on the graphics card.

Rendering performance is dependent upon the average rendering and present time of each frame in relation to the movie frame interval. In the example below, a new frame is drawn every 41.71ms. However, at an average rendering time of 49.29ms plus a present time of 0.61ms (49.29 + 0.61 = 49.90ms), the computer is unable to keep up with the frame rate of the video. The result is dropped frames, presentation glitches and generally choppy playback. As such, settings in madVR will have to be dialed-down. Predicting the load placed on the graphics processor is factor of the resolution of the video and the display, as well as the frame rate and bit depth of the video. A video with a native frame rate of 30 frames/s will require madVR to work 25% harder than a video with a frame rate of 23.976 frames/s. It is advised to find a demanding source (SD or 720P) to test your settings, ensuring some headroom is left under the movie frame interval.

Display Rendering Stats:
Cntrl + J during full screen playback:
Old 29th November 2015, 15:21   #34429  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

madshi, could you add support for either arithmetic operators, or some more measures of throughput in the profile select rules? I ask because I'm pretty sure the amount of time it takes my GPU to apply a particular filter scales linearly with the amount of pixels it has to process. So if I know it can handle a particular profile for 720p30, I'd like to use that as an upper limit, so it uses the same profile up to 1280*720*30 = 27648000 pixels per second.

In a profile select rule, I imagine this would work like (srcWidth * srcHeight * deintFps <= 27648000), or (srcPixels * deintFps <= 27648000), or (srcThroughput <= 27648000), depending on what is available. Adding support for arithmetic operators (or at least multiplication) would generalize the rule selection nicely. In my case, I'd probably combine this with (srcWidth == targetWidth or srcHeight == targetHeight) to know when I only have to worry about chroma scaling.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 20:10   #34430  |  Link
TheElix

What might be preventing Fullscreen Exclusive mode from activating on my computer? I have fresh-installed MPC-HC and madVR and it doesn't help.

Windows 10 x64
MPC-HC 1.7.10
madVR 0.89.17

Edit: Madshi, I uploaded log, bug report and DxDiag information in one archive: https://yadi.sk/d/8Y5cl6AAkyp5t Also, in this instance, the player also crashed. As it happens every single time now.

Last edited by TheElix; 4th December 2015 at 19:02.
TheElix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2015, 21:51   #34431  |  Link
Uoppi

Hi, here goes first post! A little confused about madVR tags, so could someone please help and clarify which tags should be used in each of the following three cases:

1) Progressive segmented frame, i.e. 25 progressive frames divided/segmented into 50 fields. Meaning the video ought to be weaved into 25p. Does simply "deint=Off" do it? The auto deinterlacing seems to erroneously detect the material as interlaced, as per the container tag.

2) Progressive film stored on DVD as interlaced. Simply "deint=Off"?

3) Pal speedup removal of 25p content or film stored as interlaced on DVD (using Reclock). I'm guessing simply "frameRate=24" or "frameRate=23.976" (which one?)
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 12:46   #34432  |  Link
xabregas

Hi,

So i have tested the new xysubfilter and new madvr and i was almost amazed when i saw that in 2.35 movies the subtitlees now can go to the black bars outside the movie window. But it was a matter of minutes until they went back to the front of the movie while playing. Anyone knows how to fix it, i.e making the subtitles stay in the black bars??
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:07   #34433  |  Link
adhara

Quote:
It is the deinterlacing likely causing the issue. madVR uses some of the GPU's muscle to deinterlace. You would have to reduce your settings. Start with using Ordered Dithering and then reducing chroma upscaling to something like Lanczos3 + AR.

You can create separate profiles for deinterlaced content (srcInterlaced) using madVR profile rules, which what I would recommend. Then, you could turn down your settings when deinterlacing is encountered, and turn them back up when it is not.

Also, I realize you are likely using image quadrupling at 720p -> 2160p. You could simplify things by disabling image quadrupling and using image doubling + image upscaling instead. I think I would still go with the separate profile for deinterlaced content, but that would probably provide immediate relief to your graphics card.

The moral of the story is your settings are likely too aggressive for your card.
Thanks,

Question, if I put "activate deinterlacing" off on MadVr, is the display reponsible for doing this stuff ?
I see no différences between on and off regarding this setting.

This will avoid me to add some new filters on my MadVR profiles and I could let my current setting like that...

When you says: "Also, I realize you are likely using image quadrupling at 720p -> 2160p. You could simplify things by disabling image quadrupling and using image doubling + image upscaling instead."

Can you please explain a little more ? How achieve this ?
Same quality ? (I have few 720p videos).

Regards.

PS: here my Jriver settings in terme of video:

Last edited by adhara; 30th November 2015 at 16:22.
adhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:18   #34434  |  Link
foozoor

Hey madshi! It's been a while we did not see you here.
What do you prepare for this December?
I can't wait for the future amazing things.

Hey Warner306! It's so sad that DSPlayer is discontinued again.
Do you plan to create another guide with mpc-hc or PotPlayer somewhere soon?
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 16:25   #34435  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Hey madshi!
Like what?
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 17:22   #34436  |  Link
Aktan

Hi All, I have a problem that hopefully someone can help me fix. I'm thinking I'm just missing something silly in some settings. I'm using MPC-HC Version 1.7.9 opening an analog capture device. I use ffdshow tryouts to change the output colorspace (to avoid the forced load of MPC-HC internal Deinterlacer filter on 4:2:2 color spaces) and to deinterlace the source. I use madVR Version 0.89.9 as the renderer. The problem I have is if I use ffdshow to double the frame rate for deinterlacing, madVR seems to drop all those extra frames. I see this in stats and it only happens if I double the frame rate. This problem doesn't exist with other renderers like EVR as it is a lot smoother when the frame rate is doubled. I didn't use madVR's own deinterlacing becuase it wasn't deinterlacing well. I'm guessing this is probably due to the fact that the queues are stuck at 0-1 in stats. I'm also guessing this is why madVR keeps dropping frames. The combination of ffdshow deinterlacing and madVR renderer does not have a problem if I use a MPEG2 source instead of an analog capture source probably since the queues can be filled properly then. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix this?
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2015, 22:07   #34437  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by foozoor View Post
Hey madshi! It's been a while we did not see you here.

Hey Warner306! It's so sad that DSPlayer is discontinued again.
Do you plan to create another guide with mpc-hc or PotPlayer somewhere soon?
This guide is for MPC-HC and remains current with recent versions of MPC-HC, MPC-BE and madVR: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596.

This was the method I used previously to use madVR with Kodi.

FYI, the possibility of integrating madVR into Kodi main branch has at least been discussed. However, it could take one or two more versions for this to ever happen. But at least something productive came out of DSPlayer's demise.
Old 1st December 2015, 00:42   #34438  |  Link
Della

Quote:
This guide is for MPC-HC and remains current with recent versions of MPC-HC, MPC-BE and madVR: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596.

This was the method I used previously to use madVR with Kodi.

FYI, the possibility of integrating madVR into Kodi main branch has at least been discussed. However, it could take one or two more versions for this to ever happen. But at least something productive came out of DSPlayer's demise.
I've often referred to this guide, VERY well done Warner.
Thanks for your effort
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 01:34   #34439  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Hi, here goes first post! A little confused about madVR tags, so could someone please help and clarify which tags should be used in each of the following three cases:

1) Progressive segmented frame, i.e. 25 progressive frames divided/segmented into 50 fields. Meaning the video ought to be weaved into 25p. Does simply "deint=Off" do it? The auto deinterlacing seems to erroneously detect the material as interlaced, as per the container tag.

2) Progressive film stored on DVD as interlaced. Simply "deint=Off"?

3) Pal speedup removal of 25p content or film stored as interlaced on DVD (using Reclock). I'm guessing simply "frameRate=24" or "frameRate=23.976" (which one?)
1) No, deint=film is what you want. Film means progressive content and madVR can detect what it needs to do to get it.

2) No, again deint=film.

3) I am less sure about this one (NTSC here) but I believe you don't need anything, reclock should take care of it.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:24   #34440  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
I've often referred to this guide, VERY well done Warner.
Thanks for your effort
Thanks, that document is still changing as my understanding of the software improves. A few fact checkers have helped, but most has come from personal experience alone.

Lately, I have been experimenting with settings. I find I am over-reporting the abilities of super-xbr and image doubling in general. super-xbr does ring a lot in certain situations, making it very distracting. Recommending settings is the most difficult part of writing a guide.

I have described image doubling as the ideal upscaler. But any upscaler that rings more than a simple linear upscaler is not perfect. It has its own pros and cons.

Are there any people here who use superxbr with SuperRes(3) or higher to scale from 1080p -> 2160p? Does this look good to you? At 540p -> 1080p, superxbr100 + AR with SuperRes(3) creates a very unnatural picture on my display.

Last edited by Warner306; 2nd December 2015 at 04:33.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling