Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 27th January 2022, 12:26   #1  |  Link
vcmohan

Upgrading to Windows 11

Has any one upgraded to windows 11 and using with Avisynth+ without any problem? I intend to upgrade sometime soon if others have good experience with it. Request guidance.
Old 27th January 2022, 14:07   #2  |  Link
kedautinh12

i'm using win 11 and don't have any problem with avs+
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 18:13   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

Windows 11? I'm still using Windows XP. Maybe I should look into it ...
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 18:58   #4  |  Link
coolgit

Windows 10/11 are pants.

Sticking to Windows 7 for life by the look of it.
coolgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2022, 23:28   #5  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
Maybe I should look into it ...
Don't bother, Windows 11 is basically Win10 with a Mac OSX skin on, less functionalities in the taskbar and more bugs... (I know 'cause I'm using it...)

Avisynth wise, though, it works.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 01:56   #6  |  Link
johnmeyer

I'm just curious. I have over a dozen computers, most running Windows XP (or earlier) O/S. However, I do have several computer running Windows 7. I like 7 just fine, although it broke searching, has driver issues with all the old hardware I have to use for my media business, etc.

So here's the question: is there actually anything function in Windows 10 (and now 11) that I'm missing out on? I've been forced to use is on many occasions when helping someone with a problem and, like the Microsoft pointless re-write of their office apps twenty years ago, it looks like they just rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic (i.e., a pointless, misguided effort). I never once find myself coming back to XP & 7 and saying, "gee, I really should upgrade."

P.S. When I say "earlier," I mean earlier. I have a 1987 laptop which runs 24/7, capturing all the phone calls on my home PBX, and it is running DOS 3.1. It used to run DOS 5, but ever since the disk drive froze up, and I've had to run it off floppies, and so I have to run a really old, more compact version of DOS. Still works great!
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 09:02   #7  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
So here's the question: is there actually anything function in Windows 10 (and now 11) that I'm missing out on?
The only "nice" feature of Windows 11 for me is the fact that it can run Android apps and they have a store which resembles the native Play Store in Android, but that's it.

Features wise, you don't miss much and unless you need things like Visual Studio 2022 to work or modern drivers for recent hardware or DirectX12, there's hardly any need to upgrade.

The things I hate about Windows 11 are:

1) The taskbar has been completely re-written in XAML and it lacks some basic functionalities. Sure, you can bring it back to the left instead of the center, but if you right click on it, you don't have the options you would have on Win10 like launching the Task Manager and also if you drag a file to a program in the taskbar that is minimized 'cause you want the application to open and then drop it in there like you would in Windows 10, you can't and it's gonna say "not permitted" on Windows 11.

Picture yourself this scenario: you are browsing a folder and you find a file, you have FileZilla minimized and you want to drop that file into Filezilla. Normally you would drag it to the taskbar, wait for Filezilla to go back being a window and then drop it there, but with the new taskbar YOU CAN'T!

2) The new Windows button doesn't show a list of all programs, it shows you a list of the preferred applications and you MUST click on "All apps" to have the list of all programs you would have on Win10. So you're effectively clicking it TWICE while on Win10 you just had to click once.

3) The dumbed down right click option. If you right click on a file, Windows automatically assumes you're an idiot and shows you a reduced menu, as if we didn't all use that very same menu for the last 20+ years... So, if you right click on a picture (or any file) you get this crap:

but fortunately there's a value in the registry that restores the good old right click:

There's more but if I keep going I'm gonna get angry (frustrated by Microsoft poor decisions) first thing in the morning and that ain't good for my blood pressure, so I'm just gonna leave it there...

Last edited by FranceBB; 28th January 2022 at 09:07.
Old 28th January 2022, 09:20   #8  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Oh come on, it's just things going more and more into the great Mobile Way. That long list doesn't fit in it so they decided to shorten it :P

I wonder if it learns your usage pattern along the way. That would be a good thing, just show the ones I use all the time.
Old 28th January 2022, 12:58   #9  |  Link
vcmohan

One more thing. For upgrading to windows 11 do I need to save all my data files? Do I need to reinstall all applications I installed on windows 10? Or is it like normal OS upgrade done from time to time automatically?
Old 28th January 2022, 13:05   #10  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmohan View Post
One more thing. For upgrading to windows 11 do I need to save all my data files? Do I need to reinstall all applications I installed on windows 10? Or is it like normal OS upgrade done from time to time automatically?
I'd save my data daily, beside updating, upgrading or whatever.

Anyway, a in place upgrade will leave all your data and apps where they are.

My two cents is to have a clean install, as some redundant/useless dll will be kept from Windows 10.

I did a in place upgrade but I am planning to have a fresh install on the first major Windows 11 service pack.
Old 28th January 2022, 13:37   #11  |  Link
kedautinh12

Just update your data still keep after update. You can rollback to win 10 and don't lost any data
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2022, 16:02   #12  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmohan View Post
I personally consider Windows 11 as a Service Pack of Windows 10. Whatever problems you may have, probably occur with the major bi-annual releases anyway. Usually some drivers need to be reinstalled, but I've never had any serious issues with updates.
Old 29th January 2022, 11:24   #13  |  Link
Balling

FranceBB, nice to see you patched the uDWM microcompositor to remove rounded coreners that can even hide part of movie, for example! Nice.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 05:40   #14  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Honstly -- if you're running WinXP (with way outdated security holes), you're better off installing Linux and it will run smoothly with everything up-to-date.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 08:34   #15  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
WinXP (with way outdated security holes)
0Patch still works and covers zero-day vulnerabilities.
Microsoft Extended Support provided security updates 'till July 2019, then 0patch picked up the task and they provide security fixes for WinXP and Win7.
In a nutshell, 0patch + a good antivirus and firewall like Avast Premier will do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
you're better off installing Linux and it will run smoothly with everything up-to-date.
On modern hardware I do recommend Linux as main OS and Windows VMs for literally everything you need in terms of either encoding or coding etc. I'm proudly running Fedora since January 6, 2016 and all my Windows (Win98Se, WinXP, Win11) are VMs created via a clone-disk (disk to vhd) of my old 1999, 2002 and 2015 physical installations.
All my work-server (real work servers), though, are all running Windows Server 2019 and they're gonna stay like that as they're the ones who really encode stuff.
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:31   #16  |  Link
thescrapyard

Interesting thing I stumbled across by accident, is that Windows 11 and late revisions of Windows 10 can run native Linux apps in its native GUI in Windows without a VM machine running Linux

It does it via something called WSL2

I'm installing a dual boot of my system running Windows 10 just to give this a try. WSL2 doesn't like my copy of Windows 10 as its too early and I ain't doing yet another install/update just to try that, but will set-up a dual boot. I did this years ago when I moved from WinXP to Win7. Had it on dual boot for considerable time until I accepted Windows 7

I avoided Windows 10 for a very very long time, as it sucked big style on first releases (as usual). I tried Windows 8 but that was so bad I never touched it again

Its like having Wine on Linux to run Windows software, but now WSL is Linux on Windows

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-i...sl2-windows-10
thescrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2022, 18:53   #17  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

So you can run WSL2 within a VM within Linux?
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2022, 19:20   #18  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
1) The taskbar has been completely re-written in XAML and it lacks some basic functionalities. Sure, you can bring it back to the left instead of the center, but if you right click on it, you don't have the options you would have on Win10 like launching the Task Manager and also if you drag a file to a program in the taskbar that is minimized 'cause you want the application to open and then drop it in there like you would in Windows 10, you can't and it's gonna say "not permitted" on Windows 11.
Can't you fix that with ClassicShell or power tools like AHK or AutoIt?
Old 4th February 2022, 19:55   #19  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Can't you fix that with ClassicShell or power tools like AHK or AutoIt?
Totally, but with patch Tuesday and other automatic updates it might break which is why I don't wanna have anything too weird or different from the original configuration, therefore I really would like Microsoft to bring the option back.
You know, as long as I change reg entries it's fine, but as soon as I change system DLLs, there could be dragons. Last thing I want is the PC to restart after an update and never boot ever again. DX
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:29   #20  |  Link
Marshalla12

I haven't upgraded yet even on Windows 10))
I'm too comfortable with my 7
I use my notebook with this windows version for work. I make calls. use a virtual number for marketing, I speak to clients, email them and so on
no lagging or something like that
Marshalla12 is offline   Reply With Quote