Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th April 2006, 16:57   #381  |  Link
jeanl

Thanks Mtz
OK now this makes sense.
- In the VOB, there's a first tiny VOBU 1/1 starting at PTS 45045 and ending at 90090. This cell isn't referenced in the movie PGC.
- This is followed by the normal cell 2/1 which starts at PTS 21021 (there's a clock reset here).
- The first subpic of the english stream has a raw PTS of 5318313 (LBA 10876).
- Because DVDSubEdit does not extract based on the PGC, it does not know VCID 1/1 shouldn't be taken into account. As a result, it computes the adjusted PTS of the first subpic as:
(5318313-45045-21021+90090) = 5342337 which yields 59.300 s. In other words, DVDSubEdit adjust the PTS by taking into accound the PTS reset after VCID 1/1.
- PGCDemux by contrast knows that VCID1/1 shouldn't be included (because it's demuxing by PGC). Its adjusted PTS is:
(5318313-21021) = 5297292 which yields 58.800s.

So this all makes sense. I believe PGCDemux is right here. The first VCID should not be taken into account as it isn't part of the movie PGC. I'm not sure whether this should be corrected in DVDSubEdit, which really isn't a demuxer...

Jeanl
Old 28th April 2006, 17:31   #382  |  Link
mpucoder

Both programs are right, you just have to know the perspective. DVDSubEdit is giving timecodes relative to the multiplexed titleset, while PgcDemux can give a title relative view (among others).
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 17:52   #383  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Hmmm, I think it's somewhat "dangerous" if it's left as it is.

IMHO the best solution would be to limit the ability to save .SUP files to cases where there's an .IFO file present, in connection with the loaded .VOB files. So that the PGC info in the .IFO file can be taken into account when saving the .SUP...

If you don't want to go into this, I think would be better to remove the .SUP file function, or keep it as a (hidden) function for debugging purposes only. At the very least I think you should issue a warning when saving a .SUP.
Old 28th April 2006, 21:53   #384  |  Link
Mtz

If SubRip at this moment cannot offer precise timing I prefer to use the timings from sup files generated by PGCDemux or DVDSubEdit than load in DVDSubEdit, OCR to srt and obtain the srt with correct timings.
I hope jeanl to solve the sup > ocr > srt timings correct.
I'm glad to offer my little help to this wonderful application, jeanl.
enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 23:30   #385  |  Link
jeanl

Mtz, currently DVDSubEdit will give you exactly the same timing value in the .sup and .srt files. The formula is the same (it was not before I fixed the bug in that last version).
The case is that DVDSubEdit and PGCDemux will not necessarily give you the same timing. I'm not sure what to say about it.
My opinion is that it all depends how you demux your video. Presumably, you want a sup to remux in the video. If that's the case, I think you should use PGCDemux since it will demux both the video and the subpics (and the audio). The "save as sup" option in DVDSubEdit was meant to be a convenience rather than a full demuxing feature, for which you would need to specify the starting VCID etc...
jeanl
Old 1st May 2006, 17:20   #386  |  Link
odbo2005

Dear jeanl
Is it possible to add effects to orginal subtitle in DCSQT?
odbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 17:23   #387  |  Link
jeanl

odbo2005, what kind of effect do you have in mind? At this point, the answer is no: you can't add DCSQTs, so you can't add effects like wipes and fades. If there's enough demand for it, I might add that at one point, but I've seen more people wanting to remove wipes and fades than wanting to add them!
Jeanl
Old 2nd May 2006, 08:03   #388  |  Link
odbo2005

Jeanl,I want to make subtitle in my DVD like karaoke,
include 2 music track & 2subtitle,one for normal & one for karaoke.
The wipe effect is my nessary.
I can make 2 same subtitle in DVD,than add wipe effect to
one for karaoke,if DVDSubEdit can do this.
Old 2nd May 2006, 14:52   #389  |  Link
jeanl

Sorry but DVDSubEdit can't do that at this point.
Beside, I believe you're talking about horizontal wipe effect, and that can't really be done with multiple DCSQTs. If your subtitle is longer than the width of the screen, you can't adjust the startx position outside of the screen to make it move left for example. If I'm not mistaken, these kinds of wipes have to be done by encoding and displaying multiple SPUs ...
Jeanl
Old 2nd May 2006, 15:59   #390  |  Link
mpucoder

In karaoke the color of the text changes as the words are sung - this is what I believe odbo2005 wants to do. And it is properly called a wipe, so is revealing the text without repositioning it (it's a wipe from transparent). If the text moves it's called a scroll.
Anyway, to do a wipe you need CHG_COLCON and only one spu.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 16:36   #391  |  Link
jeanl

OK I get it, mistook a wipe for a scroll!!! Sorry at the moment DVDSubEdit can't do that stuff. I suppose what would be needed would be a way to add DCSQTs, adjusting their timing, and editing the commands in each DCSQT including the CHG_COLCON. That would be a lot of work, I'm afraid...
jeanl
Old 5th May 2006, 20:10   #392  |  Link
odbo2005

Dear Jeanl
Yes,the wipe DCSQT command is mor Complex than scroll & fade.
It's a hard work,I thing so...

Old 10th May 2006, 09:57   #393  |  Link
phusg

DVDSubEdit changes size of DVD files?

Greetings Jeanl et al,

Enjoyed another DVD film this weekend with subtitles nicely repositioned vertically downwards as far as possible!

Only now when I try to burn the adjusted DVD files with Nero I get an error along the lines of, 'File repositioning failed, DVD files not a multiple of 2k'. My question is whether it is possible that DVDSubEdit could have changed the size of the DVD files (even slightly)? I'm now burning the original .iso without problems.

regards,
Pete
phusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 10:05   #394  |  Link
phusg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusg
Greetings Jeanl et al,

Enjoyed another DVD film this weekend with subtitles nicely repositioned vertically downwards as far as possible!

Only now when I try to burn the adjusted DVD files with Nero I get an error along the lines of, 'File repositioning failed, DVD files not a multiple of 2k'. My question is whether it is possible that DVDSubEdit could have changed the size of the DVD files (even slightly)? I'm now burning the original .iso without problems.

regards,
Pete
Shit, sorry, spoke too soon. Data verification just failed after burning the .iso, so it looks like the problem is all mine! Sorry...
phusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 15:06   #395  |  Link
doggersen

Hi jeanl...

...I know this subject have been touched before, but just wanted to hear when we can expect (if at all? ), an option to have the subtitles centered. I know it partly centers subtitles, but not on those subs for hearing impaired where the subtitles are positioned under the characters talking (subtitles practically flying all over the screen).

Also, i know this have also been touched before, but is it technically impossible to have your program edit movies that are "write protected" (i.e. like an image mounted in daemon tools!).
doggersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 12:12   #396  |  Link
jeanl

no, you can't edit an ISO mounted DVD because the mounted files are read-only, and there's nothing that DVDSubEdit can do about that... Sorry. About centering, I"m not sure what you would like... YOu can already reposition the subs exactly where you like them (use the mouse, and drag the subs anywhere you like). I'm guessing you mean when there is text in 2 different places in the picture, and you'd like to be able to move them independently. I haven't implemented that, not too easy either, but I'll put that on the wish list...
jeanl
Old 18th May 2006, 04:11   #397  |  Link
doggersen

Thanks for the answers!

The thing about multiple subs on the screen at once in different places, I haven't really thought about. But I guess some Hearing paired subs has that, so it's great that you will try and find a solution for that.

But it was actually not exactly what i meant.
What I'm thinking about are those hearing impaired subs where the subtitles are not in the middle of the screen at the bottom as normal, but instead they are situated under the characters speaking in the movie.
It's not that they are multiple places at once (at least not always), but that they at one point are displayed at the bottom, and the next subtitle that appears might be situated at the very top (because a character in the upper part of the screens says
something).
It's those subs that i would like to have AUTOMATICALLY centered both vertically and horizontially

I've taken the liberty to actually EMAIL you a subtitle file, so you can see the phenomena for yourself. Hope that's okay!
doggersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 07:16   #398  |  Link
jeanl

OK I see, that's probably easier to achieve....
jeanl
Old 29th May 2006, 20:11   #399  |  Link
christopheramos

subtitle vs. captions?

Hi, I am kind of confused over subtitles versus captions for the hearing impaired when it comes to using DVDSubEdit.

This is an image from a tv show I want to remove the subtitles from. The audio language is in English, and the words at the bottom are Swedish. So I am guessing the words at the bottom are subtitles.

Given that, can DVDSubEdit remove these subtitles and the black boxes the words are in?

What about removing the number 5 at the top, can it do that to?

Thanks!
Chris
Attached Images

christopheramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 20:23   #400  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

When you initially captured this TV show and created the DVD, did you somehow create a separate subtitle/subpic stream, or did you (more likely) capture the onscreen subtitles as a PERMANENT part of the video?

If your DVD doesn't contain a separate subtitle/subpic stream, there's nothing DVDSubEdit can do for you...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote