Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:42   #1401  |  Link
benus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Waiting for info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsz View Post
I pause the work in the later of the last year and concentrate on many kinds of algorithms of the next generation video coding standard (HEVC related). I believe I will be back and code to finish the 10-bits support of the DiAVC in this May.
Hi schweinsz.

It is July now and still we have not heard from you about the progress of your works over new DiAVC 10-bit version.
Could you be so kind and let us know if you plan to implement the code or perhaps you dropped the idea.

Regards
benus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 14:29   #1402  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by benus View Post
Hi schweinsz.

It is July now and still we have not heard from you about the progress of your works over new DiAVC 10-bit version.
Could you be so kind and let us know if you plan to implement the code or perhaps you dropped the idea.

Regards
Sorry that I cancel the plan to finish the DiAVC 10-bit version. I am working on a new private video coding codec that will be similar performance with the HEVC. I am working on intra-coding currently.
__________________
The Next Generation Internet Video Codec project.
DiAVC, World's Fastest H.264 High profile Software Decoder.
http://di-avc.com/.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 16:52   #1403  |  Link
hajj_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 823
could you give us some more indepth information on your own codec. Did you contact google, mozilla or xiph about selling your codec patents to them?
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 20:36   #1404  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
could you give us some more indepth information on your own codec. Did you contact google, mozilla or xiph about selling your codec patents to them?
Currently I don't contact with anyone in google, mozilla or xiph and I don't know anyone or any contact information in the three company/organization. Anyway, I am very glad to sell my codec and all the patents to them.
I ever read the xiph's daala and google's on-going vp9. Because I have an entirely new architecture/algorithms, I find it is hard to integrate most of my algorithms into their architecture, so I decide to work out a totally new codec with my algorithms.
__________________
The Next Generation Internet Video Codec project.
DiAVC, World's Fastest H.264 High profile Software Decoder.
http://di-avc.com/.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 19:04   #1405  |  Link
dukey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 560
schweinsz,
I don't think the buy section on your website is working correctly. Paypal says it can't load correctly because the window is in a frame. I guess you could get around this by, not using frames on your website, or opening the buy window inside a new tab/window.
dukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 06:14   #1406  |  Link
an3k
Registered User
 
an3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 147
Seriously:

First there is a guy developing a decoder and most people are only blaming him for his "slow decoder", "crappy code" and whatever else. Then they notice they were kinda wrong but never excused themselves.

Then neuron2 completely removed DGAVCIndex and published DGAVCIndexDI instead, forcing users to additionally buy a DiAVC Decoder license. Then suddenly both projects are dead but instead of telling interested customers (since both of them sell software licenses) that the project is dead both websites are still the same, offering a license.

I know that developing nearly everything yourself can be very boring and exhausting over a long time but if you sell your software you have to support it for at least a year after you sold it to a customer. What would you say when you just bought a license and notice some month later by accident that the software you bought a license for is dead?

Why did i "upgrade" from DGAVCIndex to DGAVCIndexDI? Because DGAVCIndex processes ONLY the first file, even if you opened multiple ones and because it's extremely slow. Multi-Threading? 64-Bit?

Last edited by Guest; 21st January 2013 at 14:25. Reason: rule 4, no profanity
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 14:56   #1407  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
Then neuron2 completely removed DGAVCIndex
I withdrew it because libavcodec became unusable for accurate random access due to regressions and my trouble report was ignored. Additionally the "hall of shame" incident disinclined me to want to work further with people that treated me that way.

Quote:
and published DGAVCIndexDI instead, forcing users to additionally buy a DiAVC Decoder license.
I didn't force anything. I offered an additional option for decoding. At the time it looked like DiAVC was here to stay. To be honest, I don't know the state of DiAVC at this time but as long as DGAVCDecDI still works with the shipped DiAVC binary there is no reason to withdraw it.

Quote:
Then suddenly both projects are dead
DGAVCDecDI is not dead. It still functions properly and ships with a compatible diavc.dx. If you are saying that DiAVC licenses are no longer available, then this is the first I have heard of it and if it is indeed true, then I will withdraw DGAVCDecDI.

Quote:
but instead of telling interested customers (since both of them sell software licenses) that the project is dead both websites are still the same, offering a license.
So you say that DiAVC licenses are in fact still available?! Then what are exactly are you complaining about?

Quote:
Why did i "upgrade" from DGAVCIndex to DGAVCIndexDI? Because DGAVCIndex processes ONLY the first file, even if you opened multiple ones and because it's extremely slow. Multi-Threading? 64-Bit?
If you are not happy with DGAVCDecDI then request a refund and I'll be happy to oblige. My flagship product is DGDecNV. I made DGAVCDecDI to offer some kind of option to people without an nVidia card. At some point DiAVC broke backwards compatibility with DGAVCDecDI and was apparently not willing to work with me to correct that and stop that from happening again. Tracking a moving target is difficult and time consuming, and not economically practical for a product with a very small user base and my very low license fee. So I decided to leave DGAVCDecDI as it is and ship an older known compatible diavc.dx binary. The shipped version still works and some people without other options continue to find it useful.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:30   #1408  |  Link
an3k
Registered User
 
an3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I withdrew it because libavcodec became unusable for accurate random access due to regressions and my trouble report was ignored. Additionally the "hall of shame" incident disinclined me to want to work further with people that treated me that way.
Didn't knew about that. What's the "hall of shame" incident? just found a japanese website saying something about GPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I didn't force anything. I offered an additional option for decoding. At the time it looked like DiAVC was here to stay. To be honest, I don't know the state of DiAVC at this time but as long as DGAVCDecDI still works with the shipped DiAVC binary there is no reason to withdraw it.
Well, since DGAVCIndex got removed it is kind of forcing customers to buy another license Currently licenses for DiAVC can still be bought. Last update is from May 31st, 2011, see DiAVC Changelog
I'm currently waiting for a reply from the dev about machine id change but if nothing happens should i inform you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
DGAVCDecDI is not dead. It still functions properly and ships with a compatible diavc.dx. If you are saying that DiAVC licenses are no longer available, then this is the first I have heard of it and if it is indeed true, then I will withdraw DGAVCDecDI.
See neuron2.net Forum. Since you deleted my account there (or wiped the whole forum) i have to ask here: Where did you said that it's alpha?
I count a project as dead if there is (likely) no further development; that doesn't mean that the latest release doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
So you say that DiAVC licenses are in fact still available?! Then what are exactly are you complaining about?
That i had to buy a license for a decoder i don't want but have to use because DGAVCIndex got removed completely and DGAVCIndexDI only works with DiAVC.
I really don't know if the last working libavcodec offers more or at least the same decoding features as DiAVC 1.2.2 does but keeping the support for it would have been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
If you are not happy with DGAVCDecDI then request a refund and I'll be happy to oblige. My flagship product is DGDecNV. I made DGAVCDecDI to offer some kind of option to people without an nVidia card. At some point DiAVC broke backwards compatibility with DGAVCDecDI and was apparently not willing to work with me to correct that and stop that from happening again. Tracking a moving target is difficult and time consuming, and not economically practical for a product with a very small user base and my very low license fee. So I decided to leave DGAVCDecDI as it is and ship an older known compatible diavc.dx binary. The shipped version still works and some people without other options continue to find it useful.
On my computer i use DGIndexNV (i was an early adopter - before your license generator was online and i really like that tool but since i got a spare Dell Server with two Xeon QuadCores i want to use that one for decoding too. Sadly it has only PCI-X and PCI-E x8 slots so afaik i cannot add a nVIDIA GPU and that forces me to use DGAVCIndex(DI).
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:58   #1409  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
I'm currently waiting for a reply from the dev about machine id change but if nothing happens should i inform you?
Yes, please do.

Quote:
Where did you said that it's alpha?
In the Readme that ships with DGAVCDecDI.

Quote:
I count a project as dead if there is (likely) no further development; that doesn't mean that the latest release doesn't work
I never promised to continue developing anything in perpetuity.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 19:50   #1410  |  Link
an3k
Registered User
 
an3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
In the Readme that ships with DGAVCDecDI.
Oh, yes, right. I must have overread that one word

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I never promised to continue developing anything in perpetuity.
And that's not what i request but buying a license and noticing by accident some month later that development of the software has stopped is just annoying.

But perhaps there will be an (at least minor) updated version after you merged DGIndex, DGAVCIndex and DGIndexNV into one program - as you indicated in the neuron2.net forum
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:26   #1411  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Be reasonable! You think merging support for CUVID, libavcodec, and DiAVC would be a minor update?

Anyway, now I think you are being disingenuous, as you stated you initially made a donation to get DGDecNV long ago, so your claim of making a donation for DGAVCDecDI only to find after a month later that I don't intend to develop it further is a fabrication. And for what purpose?

As I have told you several times, if you are unhappy then send me your info and I will issue you a refund. Then I will not have to deal further with your silliness.

Last edited by Guest; 21st January 2013 at 20:35.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 21:07   #1412  |  Link
an3k
Registered User
 
an3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Be reasonable! You think merging support for CUVID, libavcodec, and DiAVC would be a minor update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by an3k View Post
But perhaps there will be an (at least minor) updated version of the DGAVCIndex part after you merged DGIndex, DGAVCIndex and DGIndexNV into one program - as you indicated in the neuron2.net forum
This is what i meant, thought it was clear enough before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Anyway, now I think you are being disingenuous, as you stated you initially made a donation to get DGDecNV long ago, so your claim of making a donation for DGAVCDecDI only to find after a month later that I don't intend to develop it further is a fabrication. And for what purpose?
I made ONE donation for DGIndexNV long time ago. Period! I never said i made another donation for DGAVCIndexDI. I said i bought a license for DiAVC! You know that DGAVCIndexDI without DiAVC is completely useless?! Please read more carefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
As I have told you several times, if you are unhappy then send me your info and I will issue you a refund. Then I will not have to deal further with your silliness.
Wow! Are you serious? Insulting a customer who tried to help you where possible and violating forum rules (Rule #4 to be exact)?! Anyway, this is the wrong place for discussing the problems between us and since you're already a moderator i sadly have to contact doom9.
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 21:17   #1413  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
I cannot be held responsible for whether or not DiAVC continues development or not. This is what I mean by your silliness. Why don't you go rag on them? You've had the benefit of my DGDecNV product now for years for a measly $15 and yet here you are ragging on me. I explained the situation to you as clearly and openly as I could but you won't let it go. And why the profanity that I had to remove? You set the tone buddy.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 22:12   #1414  |  Link
an3k
Registered User
 
an3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I cannot be held responsible for whether or not DiAVC continues development or not. This is what I mean by your silliness.
Example:
Quote:
nVIDIA now wants a license fee for software that implements OpenCL/CUDA directly. You buy a license. Two month later you hear by accident that nVIDIA is going a complete new way and that OpenCL/CUDA is no longer maintained/supported. But they still ask for a license fee and didn't posted a notice about the discontinuation on the website.
It is kind of the same just with the exception that you develop DGIndexNV yourself and didn't had to buy a license for it.

I absolutely know that you cannot be held for DiAVC and i know that there is no guarantee that the kind of software like DiAVC, DGIndex, AviSynth, etc. is maintained till the end of the world but you also stopped developing DGAVCIndexDI. First completely removing DGAVCIndex and then stopping development of the replacement. All these three things are connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Why don't you go rag on them?
Isn't this the main thread of DiAVC? If schweinsz is dead, on vacation or just to busy with developing something else that he doesn't read this and replies - what else should i do? If he doesn't send me the updated license code because his software thinks the machine code changed for no reason (many users have that issue) i'll get him to refund. Perhaps his decoder is nice, perhaps not. I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
You've had the benefit of my DGDecNV product now for years for a measly $15 and yet here you are ragging on me.
True and the price is ok for that. I paid 50 for AnyDVDHD and i get lifetime updates/upgrades. Higher price but they also release much more updates. Same for many other software out there! But it doesn't mean that you can instantly stop development/support for a software just because the user only paid once. To be fair you at least should inform users on your website so they can decide themselves if they want to buy a license for a more or less soon dying software. It's about fairness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I explained the situation to you as clearly and openly as I could but you won't let it go.
Then you absolutely misunderstood me. I was just discussing with you about that stuff. I never was trying to get my money back from you. I never tried you to begin development of DGAVCIndex again - it would be nice, yes but i know that its the developers decision and that is very hard to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
And why the profanity that I had to remove? You set the tone buddy.
That was just to express how i see the whole situation. As i wrote there were some users kind of "bullying" schweinsz for his initial postings. Then the force for users to buy a DiAVC license or keep the not well working old DGAVCIndex version. Then the issue with stopped development but no information on the website - neither on yours nor on DiAVCs. In short: "WHAT THE FREAK" was not directed to anyone here! It was not my intention to insult someone and I'm sorry if i did.

...
...
...

And thank you for the refund but you really don't have to do that. I'm using DGIndexNV and i like to keep using it (i could even without rejecting ...) but I'm fair and thus I'm rejecting your refund! Perhaps we just got one's wires crossed and i hope that this post explains it a bit better and that we aren't each others deadly enemy
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:41   #1415  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo
 
LigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany, rural Altmark
Posts: 5,494
It is indeed a pity that schweinsz decided to be ... "less active" with DiAVC. For any reason he may have. I believe one of them was professionally developing H.265 software. Yes, five.

But if you still prefer (or are stuck to) software-only decoding, there are also still alternative ways. FFMS2 is still being developed, trying to get rid of "insanity" in the multi-threaded decoding. And DirectShow is the last hope anchor, which can be successful if used wisely, carefully tweaking filters and merits to ensure that the graph does nothing else but decoding with optimal quality, especially without unexpected additional filtering.
__________________

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:32   #1416  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer
 
LoRd_MuldeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Last House on Slunk Street
Posts: 12,906
an3k, the fact that one tool (DGAVCIndex) happened to be released as a Freeware neither gives you any guarantees for future updates nor does it give you any guarantees that such an update would still be available as Freeware. And of course having been a user of one tool (DGAVCIndex) doesn't give you the "right" to use other Payware tools, such as DGDecNV or DGAVCIndexDI, for free. Nobody forced you to buy any of those! You could have continued using DGAVCIndex as-is or you could have used an alternative. Instead you decided to buy DGAVCIndexDI+DiAVC. So what exactly are you complaining about? For what I understand, the existing DGAVCIndexDI still does work with the "compatible" version of DiAVC. Right? So, unless there is a particular problem, what is your concern? You bought a software and it works. I don't think anybody gave you a guarantee for "free lifelong updates" when you bought your DGAVCIndexDI+DiAVC licenses. And that's not unusual at all! For example: If you buy a Microsoft Office today, you get the "current" version and that's it. You might get some "security" updates/fixes now and then for free, but for next "major update" you have to pay again! Or stick with your "old" version...
__________________
There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment.
How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork.



Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 22nd January 2013 at 12:38.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:07   #1417  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Actually, I do offer free lifetime updates, if I create any! I don't guarantee to make any update or future versions of my donation-ware, but if I do they will always be free to existing licensees.

But your point stands, one cannot expect that development must necessarily continue just because a working version is still sold.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 04:12   #1418  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
If you are not happy with DGAVCDecDI then request a refund and I'll be happy to oblige. My flagship product is DGDecNV. I made DGAVCDecDI to offer some kind of option to people without an nVidia card. At some point DiAVC broke backwards compatibility with DGAVCDecDI and was apparently not willing to work with me to correct that and stop that from happening again. Tracking a moving target is difficult and time consuming, and not economically practical for a product with a very small user base and my very low license fee. So I decided to leave DGAVCDecDI as it is and ship an older known compatible diavc.dx binary. The shipped version still works and some people without other options continue to find it useful.
I never change the interface of the DiAVC for a very long time. Actually I don't know why it becomes not compatible with the DGAVCDecDI. Now I concentrate on a new video coding project that is with better coding efficiency than the HEVC. but I still maintain the DiAVC project.
__________________
The Next Generation Internet Video Codec project.
DiAVC, World's Fastest H.264 High profile Software Decoder.
http://di-avc.com/.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 04:15   #1419  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Well, schweinsz, with all due respect, nothing changed in DGAVCDecDI and then one day things stopped working with one of your new releases. We've discussed this but you were not interested in resolving it, just kept saying nothing changed. This is why I had to stop my development.

Don't you recall writing this to me:

"I notice the same problem; perhaps it is because that I change some compiler options of the DiAVC."

What ticked me off is that you just started releasing versions that you knew broke backward compatibility without discussing it with me or informing me. That told me you didn't care about DGAVCDecDI. So why should I care about DiAVC? I thought we had a good partnership going and that we could do great things together. Then you started not caring, and I suppose it is because you moved on to your new encoder.

Quote:
but I still maintain the DiAVC project
Then you can release a latest version that is compatible with DGAVCDecDI just as version 1.2.2 was? If not, then what does "maintain" actually mean to you?

Last edited by Guest; 25th January 2013 at 04:58.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 07:59   #1420  |  Link
schweinsz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Well, schweinsz, with all due respect, nothing changed in DGAVCDecDI and then one day things stopped working with one of your new releases. We've discussed this but you were not interested in resolving it, just kept saying nothing changed. This is why I had to stop my development.

Don't you recall writing this to me:

"I notice the same problem; perhaps it is because that I change some compiler options of the DiAVC."

What ticked me off is that you just started releasing versions that you knew broke backward compatibility without discussing it with me or informing me. That told me you didn't care about DGAVCDecDI. So why should I care about DiAVC? I thought we had a good partnership going and that we could do great things together. Then you started not caring, and I suppose it is because you moved on to your new encoder.
I don't know what I changed in detail. I only know that the interface functions are not changed. I only add some more features into the DiAVC.
"I notice the same problem; perhaps it is because that I change some compiler options of the DiAVC."
You should notice the "perhaps".



Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Then you can release a latest version that is compatible with DGAVCDecDI just as version 1.2.2 was? If not, then what does "maintain" actually mean to you?
For example, I fix a problem in the GetMachineCode.exe for some computers that it is hard to get their harddisk serial number in recent days.
__________________
The Next Generation Internet Video Codec project.
DiAVC, World's Fastest H.264 High profile Software Decoder.
http://di-avc.com/.
schweinsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avc, diavc, fastest decoder, h.264, software

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.