Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 26th November 2006, 05:57   #2341  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

I'm here... yeah vacation for me is packing... i'm moving to where its warmer... pankov... i'll look at the PM's in the AM... oddball.. I did not pursue your issue as you indicated you had requested a refund.

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 14:08   #2342  |  Link
Ginsonic

Betaboy, Please don't forget about my update notification, I am patiently waiting for many days now. You have an unread PM from me too !
Ginsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 13:11   #2343  |  Link
Oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaboy
What you dont understand is that the license is for the installed OS. Not the PC as you are indicating. This is not something we are defining but the IP holders who we licensing the technology from. This is nothing we can control.
As stated in the CC forum.
And as stated way earlier in this thread too.

Some of the decisions made by CC are not on their own will. Free upgrade is not free on the IP licence. Why can't people understand that ?

IF you want to blame someone, go blame the MPEG.LA or the other licence holders.

And when will people understand that software warrenty and *right* for the upgrade is a myth ?!
You can hope for it, but you can not oblige the seller to do it.

Quick reminder: you want to make something that acts with MPEG4 AVC, sell your product as you need to eat at the end of the month and stay legal, you _need_ to get a licence for it. Point and simple.
This is the _same_ for MP3, and many others technologies.

And last but not least, if you guys were stopping fracking bash about thoses things, maybe cc would have more time to work on your issues rather than having to deal with you stupid trolls.

Last edited by Oxygen; 27th November 2006 at 13:16.
Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 13:37   #2344  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

I read before that there are no fees bellow 100 000 copies of the decoder...
Old 27th November 2006, 14:16   #2345  |  Link
clsid

And upgrades are free.

Quote:
And when will people understand that software warrenty and *right* for the upgrade is a myth ?!
It becomes a right when a company sells something with a note attached to it saying "feature X will be added at a later date".
Old 27th November 2006, 14:16   #2346  |  Link
Episode
n00b

This one is from MPEG LA

Quote:
Royalties to be paid by end product manufacturers for an encoder, a decoder or both (“unit”) begin at US $0.20 per unit after the first 100,000 units each year. There are no royalties on the first 100,000 units each year. Above 5 million units per year, the royalty is US $0.10 per unit.
Episode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 14:48   #2347  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

Means we got pwned!
bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 14:57   #2348  |  Link
Oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode View Post
This one is from MPEG LA
Quote:
Following is a brief summary of the licensing terms, which are yet to be incorporated into definitive license agreements and therefore, provided for information purposes only. These terms cover the entire AVC Standard regardless of which Profile(s) are used:
Hence, as you and i don't know what licence CC have, you can't refer to a brief summary of the licensing terms

The quote you are refering to only mention the royalties PER codec, not the surrounding costs

Licence *entry ticket* for example ...
Old 27th November 2006, 15:08   #2349  |  Link
Oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
And upgrades are free.

It becomes a right when a company sells something with a note attached to it saying "feature X will be added at a later date".
Good luck with enforcing that.

Either you read that as :
i've the right to get the upgrade at a later time
OR
it's not on this version, you need to wait for the future version to get it, upgrade will be on your charge

Again, don't take me wrong, i don't necessarly agree with the activation (well, i don't agree with it at all), but people should stop mis-interpreting what they read.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:51   #2350  |  Link
clsid

It is normal in the software world that minor and micro updates are free. Major updates (v1 -> v2) are usually not free.

BTW, CoreCodec's official statement is that all 1.x updates are free for existing customers. So STFU.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:58   #2351  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
It is normal in the software world that minor and micro updates are free. Major updates (v1 -> v2) are usually not free.

BTW, CoreCodec's official statement is that all 1.x updates are free for existing customers. So STFU.
You still overlooked the fact that it's not free for them. Oxygen is definitely correct in that we do not know the true licensing terms they have with mpegla. Quoting a public document is generally not evidence as to the true costs.

"Features will be added at a later date" cannot possibly be taken as "updates are free". Not to mention that GPU support wasn't mentioned for the 1.0 version on the site simply that it will exist in Professional Edition at some point. Misleading (yes) Illegal (No).

Last edited by ChronoCross; 27th November 2006 at 17:01.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 19:21   #2352  |  Link
clsid

The licensing terms are as given in that document unless you prove me otherwise. Period.

Again, BetaBoy himself has said that all v1.x updates will be free, including the update that contains the promised GPU acceleration support. Period.
Old 27th November 2006, 19:50   #2353  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

1.x + gpu free
2.x + gpu + more than 2 cores + ... + ... = pay

At least thats what i would do
bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 20:02   #2354  |  Link
Oxygen

Quote:
The licensing terms are as given in that document unless you prove me otherwise. Period.

Again, BetaBoy himself has said that all v1.x updates will be free, including the update that contains the promised GPU acceleration support. Period.
It's no document. It's a PR.
And i've nothing to prove to you. Period.

Anyway, please STFU yourself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPEGLA
1 The licensing terms summarized below are for informational purposes only. They are not an offer to license and may
not be relied upon for any purpose. The AVC Patent Portfolio License provides the actual terms of license on which
users may rely.
as stated in the first page here: http://www.mpegla.com/avc/AVC_TermsSummary.pdf

BB stated way earlier (late may i think) that there would be one day an activation to provide the free updates. Period.

Last edited by Oxygen; 27th November 2006 at 20:04.
Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 20:02   #2355  |  Link
Oxygen

Quote:

thanks for playing, please come back another time.
Old 27th November 2006, 20:39   #2356  |  Link
clsid

That Press Release contains the same numbers as the 'Summary of license Terms'. I my eyes that info is pretty reliable. Better than any fairy tales you guys suck out of your thumbs.
Old 27th November 2006, 20:39   #2357  |  Link
Episode
n00b

@Oxygen, this one http://www.mpegla.com/avc/AVC_TermsSummary.pdf isn't just PR and it says exactly the same thing as my earlier link did.

Anyway, I still propose that bond should separate this discussion from this thread into it's own as it really doesn't have anything do to with the actual product anymore, just bashing each other with nonsense claims and insults. People who are really trying to get help with their activation process may not get help because all the attention is directed on those who are fighting (in a way that leads to nowhere, it's like little kids fighting with arguments like "it is!" "no it isn't" "but it is!" "go to hell!" "I'm gonna tell my mommy.." .

Discussion about CoreCodecs activation system, lack of promised features and other such thing is good and necessary and CoreCodec can and should listen to their customers for what they want (remember, these are the guys that are paying your salary) , because that way they can bring us better product in next version. But when it turns into like this, it shouldn't included in a thread that's supposed to be somekind of helpdesk-thread for those that are having some issues with their product.
Episode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 22:36   #2358  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode View Post
@Oxygen, this one http://www.mpegla.com/avc/AVC_TermsSummary.pdf isn't just PR and it says exactly the same thing as my earlier link did.

Anyway, I still propose that bond should separate this discussion from this thread into it's own as it really doesn't have anything do to with the actual product anymore, just bashing each other with nonsense claims and insults. People who are really trying to get help with their activation process may not get help because all the attention is directed on those who are fighting (in a way that leads to nowhere, it's like little kids fighting with arguments like "it is!" "no it isn't" "but it is!" "go to hell!" "I'm gonna tell my mommy.." .

Discussion about CoreCodecs activation system, lack of promised features and other such thing is good and necessary and CoreCodec can and should listen to their customers for what they want (remember, these are the guys that are paying your salary) , because that way they can bring us better product in next version. But when it turns into like this, it shouldn't included in a thread that's supposed to be somekind of helpdesk-thread for those that are having some issues with their product.
here here
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 23:09   #2359  |  Link
Oxygen

Quote:
That Press Release contains the same numbers as the 'Summary of license Terms'. I my eyes that info is pretty reliable. Better than any fairy tales you guys suck out of your thumbs.
What part of that you don't understand ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPEGLA
1 The licensing terms summarized below are for informational purposes only. They are not an offer to license and may
not be relied upon for any purpose
. The AVC Patent Portfolio License provides the actual terms of license on which
users may rely.
Old 28th November 2006, 16:04   #2360  |  Link
lazyn00b

MCE bug fixed?

On the bright side, problems with CoreAVC decoder on MCE 2005 seem to be fixed with this 1.2 release! I played a few different clips encoded with x264 over and over for hours with WMP 11 on repeat, and there were no crashes.

Can any other MCE 2005 users confirm this improvement?
lazyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
codec, coreavc, corecodec, coremvc, cuda, decoder, dxva, h.264, mvc, scam