Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 19th May 2003, 19:47   #1  |  Link
snek_one

DVDx speed vs quality optimisation discussion (including problems/ideas.. everything)

I thought it should be time for a discussion like this, seeing how DVDx is still the easiest to use program, and completely free. The only problem it has is it's speed..

Right now I am encoding a 94 minute non-interlaced PAL 4:3 DVD movie to SVCD and it's going to take a whopping 13 hours @ 3fps! This on a 1800+ Athlon XP + 512MB DDR is pretty long if you ask me.. Using CCE or TMPEG i could do multiple passes. But these are not free programs

I have heard the speed problem lies in DVDx's 1pass VBR which results in pretty decent quality but is very slow. To make up for the quality I use BiCubic resizing but this makes it even slower.

The question is, does it really make sense to do all this? Do you really loose that much quality when encoding from a pretty decent DVD source?

Another problem I am having when frameserving using that VideoServer plugin is that it doesn't handle multipass eventhough I checked the checkbox. It stops after the first pass..

Something else I am really interrested in is what resolutions, bitrate and matrix settigs are currently available and worth my time to investigate. I have heard of KVCD and XVCD but I haven't found a proper explanation of their benefits & negative aspects, something I hope someone here can also tell me...

Can the encoding also be sped up by encoding to a lower resolution with a higher bitrate to compensate, as I have heard say about KVCD. But not all dvd-players support it.. And is the quality really good enough? If I can get a dvd movie onto 1 cd and the quality is still very acceptable AND it encodes at a higher speed I will definitely give it a shot! But I'd rather know before hand, since it's not something you can do easily with DVDx as far as I know and I would thus have to buy CCE or TMPEG. Unless of course I only use MPEG1 in which case I can use TMPEG, right? Which is where KVCD comes back to mind again..

Well, those are my thoughts for the moment, please feel free to add yours!
snek_one is offline   Reply With Quote