Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th September 2009, 03:18   #1  |  Link
FredThompson

Any independent test of nVidia Elemental Accelerator?

http://newsletters.creativecow.net/s...-21/index.html

nVidia claims a 500-1100% speed increase using their Elemental Accelerator with a Quadro FX card.

Does anyone have a copy coming who would volunteer to share some independent tests?
Old 24th September 2009, 03:19   #2  |  Link
Chengbin

Unless you value speed, I don't recommend it.

BTW, a Quadro FX card is ridiculously expensive. A card easily costs a very decent computer.
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 03:50   #3  |  Link
aegisofrime

Obviously there's no reason why it will not work on a "normal" gaming card, since they use the same chips and all. But for some reason, nVidia will not offer it for the gaming cards. :/
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 03:59   #4  |  Link
FredThompson

@Chengbin, does your post seem as silly as it does to me. The card is for speed and is 1/5 or less the price of the equivalent processing done on PCs.

You've heard of "apples and oranges"? Your statement is comparing a car to an airplane.

@aegisofrime, decoding is probably the same but methinks it's more likely the "gaming" cards are crippled versions of the same core. I've still got a circuit trace repair pen from when the AMD chips were found to be hackable by connecting surface poles.
Old 24th September 2009, 05:24   #5  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

500-1100% faster than what, Quicktime?

Seriously, these numbers are meaningless. Last time I saw similar claims, the encoder was actually slower than x264, but they just picked the slowest encoder out there to compare it with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredThompson View Post
@Chengbin, does your post seem as silly as it does to me. The card is for speed and is 1/5 or less the price of the equivalent processing done on PCs.
I already have a CPU. It cost $0, because I already have it. If I buy a Quadro, I'm buying something I didn't already have. Even if it actually were significantly faster than x264 (which I highly doubt), it's outright lying to say that it's "cheaper".
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 08:38   #6  |  Link
FredThompson

Chengbin totally missed that the primary thesis is speed, clearly shown by the statement,
Quote:
"Unless you value speed, I don't recommend it."
The second thesis is total cost to operate, that point was missed as well:
Quote:
"BTW, a Quadro FX card is ridiculously expensive. A card easily costs a very decent computer."
You appear to have also missed both. Two clicks and you could have read nVidia's methodolgy.

Claim is ~$700 to have 500% the encoding power of a quad-core system. The same processing power in the equivalent time would require 5 additional quad-core systems at $140 each, far below their actual cost. Even so, the power, complexity and physical space required would be greater, all of which add to TCO.

You should chose your words better and read for comprehension. This thread is about nVidia's claim and their products, not your personal situation. I most certainly did not lie but you most certainly did slander me. Keep your straw dog to yourself.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:43   #7  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Claim is ~$700 to have 500% the encoding power of a quad-core system. The same processing power in the equivalent time would require 5 additional quad-core systems at $140 each, far below their actual cost. Even so, the power, complexity and physical space required would be greater, all of which add to TCO.

You should chose your words better and read for comprehension. This thread is about nVidia's claim and their products, not your personal situation.
The entire claim lies on the (likely outright bull) "fact" that the card is "500% faster" than a quad core CPU. Every single properly performed test done so far has shown that GPU encoders are barely--at best--competitive with CPU encoders, so it is highly doubtful that the tables have turned in one or two months.

I suggest you stop believing every word that comes out of corporate marketing departments.
Quote:
you most certainly did slander me. Keep your straw dog to yourself.
And now you start insulting other forum members and accusing them of "slander" for doubting the almighty word of nVidia.

This is ridiculous--my claim that nVidia is lying about it being "cheaper" is slander? I mean, even if my claim was false, which it isn't, you should probably look up the definition of the word "slander" before you use it incorrectly.

Furthermore, I don't see any reason you should be standing up for nVidia here and trying to protect them from my "slander" of them. If they want to accuse me of "slander", let them do it themselves.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 24th September 2009 at 08:52.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:49   #8  |  Link
G_M_C

What about this marketing done by Ati on their launch yesterday ?

Quote:
Perhaps the most interesting instruction added however is an instruction for Sum of Absolute Differences (SAD). SAD is an instruction of great importance in video encoding and computer vision due to its use in motion estimation, and on the RV770 the lack of a native instruction requires emulating it in no less than 12 instructions. By adding a native SAD instruction, the time to compute a SAD has been reduced to a single clock cycle, and AMD believes that it will result in a significant (>2x) speedup in video encoding.
Would that be beinifial to use through OpenCL / DirectCompute ?

Or the abillity to do 1 clock FFT transformations ?
G_M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 08:51   #9  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post
What about this marketing done by Ati on their launch yesterday ?

Would that be beinifial to use through OpenCL / DirectCompute ?

Or the abillity to do 1 clock FFT transformations ?
That looks quite nice. CUDA has had _usad() for quite some time, but I don't know if that actually translates to a single instruction or not, since nVidia works extremely hard to prevent us from looking at the actual assembly code being sent to the GPU.

The main problem with a fast SAD is that it makes the other parts of the motion estimation process a much larger bottleneck than before.

(This definitely makes motion search on the GPU a bigger option for x264, but there is still the problem that the analysis we've done on the process suggests that it will be very difficult to fully parallelize the process. It's only easy to parallelize if we do it on the source frames instead of the reconstructed frames... which vastly reduces compression.)

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 24th September 2009 at 08:54.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:36   #10  |  Link
FredThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
The entire claim lies on the (likely outright bull)
Conjecture, not proven.
Quote:
"fact" that the card is "500% faster" than a quad core CPU. Every single properly performed test done so far has shown that GPU encoders are barely--at best--competitive with CPU encoders, so it is highly doubtful that the tables have turned in one or two months.
Good. We agree you are projecting conjecture, not demonstrating fact. Read the first 2 sentences of the thread. The first states nVidia's claim, the second asks if anyone will be VERIFYING it. Conjecture is not verification.
Quote:
I suggest you stop believing every word that comes out of corporate marketing departments.
Second time you slander me.
Quote:
And now you start insulting other forum members
Identifying your slander and presentation of conjecture as fact is not an insult. You may find it uncomfortable, true, but it is neither slander nor an insult. Identifying flaws in Chengbin's comment is neither slander nor insult.
Quote:
and accusing them of "slander" for doubting the almighty word of nVidia.

This is ridiculous--my claim that nVidia is lying about it being "cheaper" is slander?
No, I state you slandered me with your comment to me. You didn't quote or disprove nVidia's claims. You didn't even address their methodology. Your statement, "it's outright lying to say that it's "cheaper"." directly relates to your quotation of my statements.
Quote:
I mean, even if my claim was false, which it isn't,
That is unprovable conjecture. You don't have the device and haven't tested it. You are projecting that which you expect to be as real.
Quote:
you should probably look up the definition of the word "slander" before you use it incorrectly.
Sorry, you're wrong about that, too. slander is "a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report" which is what you did in your comment to the portion of my statements which you quoted.
Quote:
Furthermore, I don't see any reason you should be standing up for nVidia here and trying to protect them from my "slander" of them. If they want to accuse me of "slander", let them do it themselves.
Another straw dog. I clearly stated you slandered me. I showed you the basic math of how the device would be "cheaper", to use your word, in TCO if nVidia's claim is proven to be true. Their claim is not disproven yet, regardless of your projections and attempts to change my words into something they are not.

I will no longer reply to you regarding this. It is clear you are not thinking clearly now.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:43   #11  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
That looks quite nice. CUDA has had _usad() for quite some time, but I don't know if that actually translates to a single instruction or not, since nVidia works extremely hard to prevent us from looking at the actual assembly code being sent to the GPU.

The main problem with a fast SAD is that it makes the other parts of the motion estimation process a much larger bottleneck than before.

(This definitely makes motion search on the GPU a bigger option for x264, but there is still the problem that the analysis we've done on the process suggests that it will be very difficult to fully parallelize the process. It's only easy to parallelize if we do it on the source frames instead of the reconstructed frames... which vastly reduces compression.)
I did look promising, thats why i posted this. I've got positive feelings about DirectCompute / OpenCL in general. Cause it makes using the vast power of a GPU more of an option. There will be all kinds of problems or setbackt, i shure of it, but the fact the DirectCompute is part of DirectX makes GPGPU a much better idea.

Before this implementation intop DX11, GPGPU had the feeling like good old DOS, where you had to write your game for every graphic chipset separately (Tseng Labs, Ati Mach64, you needed to put drivers for too many of them). Unifying GPGPU in DX11 might help to get things going finally, maybe it also forces Nv to be more open about the assembly instructions used/needed

And in that respect it might me a nice idea to put some time/research/brainstorming into

Last edited by G_M_C; 24th September 2009 at 10:05.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:53   #12  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
I will no longer reply to you regarding this.
You probably should have done that before, not after, repeatedly violating the forum rules. It's quite apparent that you are not actually interested in a technical discussion despite my attempts to respond with technically-oriented posts in this thread.

At this point it is quite clear that you are here to promote nVidia products; you practically admitted it when you took offense after I called nVidia's claims a lie. Only a shill takes personal offense to claims directed against a corporation.

Also, slander is spoken, libel is written.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 24th September 2009 at 10:02.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:00   #13  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

It's not just the final codec that's accelerated, it's the whole pipeline, including decoding and heavy filtering. However, Premier has had gpu-assisted rendering for a decade now, that's nothing new, and completely turning it off is very disingenuous. However, there's nothing to prove or disprove, the entire claim is pure marketing: There's no hard facts, and plenty of room for people to read in their own ideas.

There is one useful chart:

But how high is the quality compared to Adobe's high quality preset? Nobody knows, that's not included; they'd just like you to believe they're equivalent. Again, it's regular marketing.

Fred, your hypersensitivity is borderline trolling. Calm down before you are struck.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 12:35   #14  |  Link
FredThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
It's not just the final codec that's accelerated, it's the whole pipeline, including decoding and heavy filtering. However, Premier has had gpu-assisted rendering for a decade now, that's nothing new, and completely turning it off is very disingenuous. However, there's nothing to prove or disprove, the entire claim is pure marketing: There's no hard facts, and plenty of room for people to read in their own ideas.

There is one useful chart:

But how high is the quality compared to Adobe's high quality preset? Nobody knows, that's not included; they'd just like you to believe they're equivalent. Again, it's regular marketing.
If testing shows results such as those at http://digitalcontentproducer.com/af...26/index2.html, it's not "regular marketing", it's much closer to a lie by omission. That article mentions nVidia's baseline is crippled.
Quote:
Fred, your hypersensitivity is borderline trolling. Calm down before you are struck.
The topic of this thread is in the first two sentences. You're looking in the wrong direction and at the wrong topic.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:37   #15  |  Link
FredThompson

Here's another brief mention translated from German which says nVidia was claiming 2-11 fold increase earlier this year: http://www.slashcam.com/news/single/...erat-7701.html
Old 24th September 2009, 13:59   #16  |  Link
G_M_C

Quote:
Here's another brief mention translated from German which says nVidia was claiming 2-11 fold increase earlier this year: http://www.slashcam.com/news/single/...erat-7701.html
nVidia was claiming 2-11 fold the speed of a quadcore CPU. This is is clearly stated in that article; So you also could have been more clear in your post couldn't you ? You suggest more than it is with your "2-11 fold increase". Increase ... of what exactly? 11 times zip is still zip. Your post actually says nothing.

2-11 fold the speed of a quadcore CPU is clearer ... GPGPU is supposed to be faster than that isn't it ? 2 x speed of nehalem, upcoming Sandy Bridge will probably be 2 x faster than Nehalem too (and it might be 11 times faster than AMD's slowest X4).

Let Nv and Ati get SAD (and other usefull commands) into OpenCL first, so that everybody can use it; And not only those who can shell out for some exotic piece of hardware, and some equally expensive piece of software that can use it. As long as it remains that much of a niche-product, almost nobody will actually care.

Last edited by G_M_C; 24th September 2009 at 15:08.
Old 24th September 2009, 14:24   #17  |  Link
nm

Quote:
nVidia was claiming 2-11 fold the speed of an Intel quadcore. GPGPU is supposed to be faster than that isn't it ?
It depends on the task. Some calculations can be done faster on a GPU, others can't. As DS said, we have yet to see a GPU encoder that would be significantly faster than software encoding at the same level of quality. Also, GPU encoders tend to have no settings for adjusting the speed/quality tradeoff. Some implementations even choose a bitrate for you.

Here's some previous discussion on the NVIDIA CUDA encoder: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148276
Elemental accelerator may use a completely different encoder implementation, so until we see proper tests...

Edit: Information on the encoder parameters can be found in the user guide: http://www.elementaltechnologies.com...20Guide-en.pdf
Looks like there's AQ, 2-pass VBR and support for interlaced encoding.

Marketing blog: http://www.elementaltechnologies.com/blog/accelerator

Last edited by nm; 24th September 2009 at 15:04.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 17:02   #18  |  Link
CpT

Quote:
500-1100% faster than what, Quicktime?

Seriously, these numbers are meaningless. Last time I saw similar claims, the encoder was actually slower than x264, but they just picked the slowest encoder out there to compare it with.
This is true, even my overclocked q9400 @ only 3.2 gets comparable fps to badaboom on my gtx 280 when encoding 1280x videos while using med-high x264 settings. And med-high settings with x264 utterly blows away every cuda encoder that's currently available.

I have to almost double the bitrate with badaboom or mediacoder to achieve comparable results to x264.

I really really hope cuda encoders evolve into something great, but its not there yet.
CpT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 18:16   #19  |  Link
TheResidentEvil

Same. its a shame really, so much potential for so long and its of little to no use.
TheResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 19:07   #20  |  Link
FredThompson

Quote:
nVidia was claiming 2-11 fold the speed of a quadcore CPU. This is is clearly stated in that article; So you also could have been more clear in your post couldn't you ? You suggest more than it is with your "2-11 fold increase". Increase ... of what exactly? 11 times zip is still zip. Your post actually says nothing.
Yes, could have been more clear. Was referring to how their press release through Creative Cow claims 500%+ and a few months ago they were claiming 200%+. That's all I was trying to point out. Should have been obvious, apparently was not. Taken by itself, that particular statement is not grounded, no different than a "50% better" sticker on a shelf-display. 50% better than what? Measured how? My favorite example of that are Mary Kay window stickers claiming it is "America's best selling brand." It's not the highest volume so best selling how?
Quote:
Let Nv and Ati get SAD (and other useful commands) into OpenCL first, so that everybody can use it; And not only those who can shell out for some exotic piece of hardware, and some equally expensive piece of software that can use it. As long as it remains that much of a niche-product, almost nobody will actually care.
Not a lot of downward price pressure with only 2 competitors. You're right, if the hardware could crunch as much as they claim, they'd move a lot more of them with free software. They appear to use $75/hour as their comparison. May make sense in that situation but not in our free labor hobbyist arena.