Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 17th May 2003, 09:15   #1  |  Link
Polarbear

Weird computer reboot...

Hello to all,

AMD 2000+, 1gig ram, asus mb.
GKnot 0.28, Divx 5.05.

I am not sure WHERE the problem is stemmed from...the computer will simply reboot when it's in the middle of encoding, and happens every time, with different sources. Please offer some suggestions.

Thanx in advance,

-Polarbear
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 12:40   #2  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

"Sounds" like a hardware issue.

Encoding applications produce LOTS of heat. If you're overclocking, or have insufficient fans/cooling, this could be the reason.

You can test CPU heat issues with the prime95 application; if that's not the trouble, you can test memory with memtest86. Both are available via searching on Google, you might also stop by the hardware forum here for additinal advice and assistance.

Good luck!
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2003, 00:51   #3  |  Link
Polarbear

Thanx for the great suggestion. I checked with both of those diagnostic softwares, and after running them for an extensive amount of time, my system turned out fine. I checked every setting (hardware / software) and narrowed the problem down to CPU Frequency Multiple and CPU/PCI Frequency. I have an Asus Motherboard w/ 2000+ AMD chipset.

First off, what IS the 'correct' non-overclocked setting for those 2 above mentioned thing should be? I always thought they were supposed to be:
CPU Frequence Multiple: 12.5x
CPU/PCI Frequency: 133/33
Thus yielding 1666 Mhz.

But under those settings, I ALWAYS get a crash midway through the encoding process and ONLY the encoding process, not any other burn through program test.

I changed the settings to:
CPU Frequency Multiple: 12.5x
CPU/PCI Frequency: 100/33
Thus yielding 1222.77 Mhz.

The system, though encodes at a much slower rate, doesn't reboot anymore upon encoding.

I know for certain it is an AMD 2000+ CPU...so what setting should it be by default for normal CPU speed and what seems to be the problem?

Any help / suggestion greatly appreciated on this matter.
Thank you all so much,

-Polarbear
Old 19th May 2003, 01:25   #4  |  Link
jggimi
Moderator Emeritus

At least you've narrowed it down to a likely hardware problem. I don't know the "correct" values for your particular CPU and your particular motherboard -- I have Athlon T-birds and Epox motherboards, and they "defaulted" with the proper FSB and multiplier. If it were me, I'd first see if Asus supports that CPU on that board, and, if they have a BIOS update, then, I'd also check my CPU out at AMD's website for additional info. I'd also make sure the CPU was still under warranty.

I'm moving this thread to the Hardware forum; perhaps someone more Asus and Athlon XP knowledgeable can help you out.
jggimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2003, 17:38   #5  |  Link
CaPPyD
Swollen Member

The original settings are the correct settings for your mobo/processor. At this point I would be looking at possibly you HSF is not seated properly or the CPU is defective. You can check the heat of your processor using MotherBoardMonitor (MBM). My suggestion would be to do an encode with MBM running and see what the temp of the CPU is during the encode. This way we could determine if you have a heat issue or not.
CaPPyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2003, 18:39   #6  |  Link
avih
Capture, Deinterlace

try to disable bios shadow and video shadow from the bios.
avih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2003, 02:56   #7  |  Link
Polarbear

Thank you all for the helpful suggestion.

I am fairly certain the hardware is not an issue, quite frankly. I had been encoding w/ the previous version (can't remember which) of GK w/ Divx 5.04 under the exact same hardware setting and everything was working fine. I had to reinstall XP Pro and thus resintall the necessary encoding softwares, and all the sudden, the rebooting occured, when I set the CPU to 1666 Mhz (12.5x / 133/33). I set the CPU back to 1222 Mhz (12.5x / 100/33) and the encoding, aside from being much slower, functions perfectly.

I checked the CPU temp, and it's well below critical level and also disabled the shadow bios / graphics stuff, but the comp still reboots at 1666 Mhz. Very frustrating.

Please offer any other advice if possible,
Thank you all once again,

-Polarbear
Old 20th May 2003, 12:19   #8  |  Link
Auban

It sounds a bit strange but if you think about what's controling the CPU, it's the BIOS. I would recomend an upgrade of your BIOS (Reflash your BIOS as we call it, here in Sweden ). Look on the manufacters homepage and se if they have released any new BIOS-versions to your motherboard.

This might not solve your problems but it's worth a shot.

Just a little curious, what happends if you overclock? .
Maybe you haven't tested this and remember that if you overclock and something happends your guarantee might not be valid any more.
Auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2003, 07:55   #9  |  Link
Polarbear

Thanx again to all who tried to help out w/ my problem.

Actually I never had the problem prior to I flashed my bios (latest bios file from Asus), due to the replacement of my harddrive with a 250 gig Western Digital (new bios added support for mobo's recognition of 48-bit address HD (> 132 gigs)). I downgraded to the earliest bios which supported the large HD, and the problem still occured. I tried the beta bios, problem still occured. It's absolutely frustrating.

If I am not able to resolve this issue either myself, or with all your help, I might be prompted to get another system all together. I am going to start another post seeking some suggestions on hardware solutions for a new PC, please offer opinions on that too if hardware is your thing.

Thank you all, once again.

-Polarbear
Old 10th June 2003, 16:40   #10  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

Beware flashing your BIOS. I just lost a mobo to it.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2003, 00:42   #11  |  Link
Polarbear

Hello Again Everyone,

Didn't want to beat an old thread to death, but my very weird problem seemed to be resolved now, and no hardware changes were being made.

From my extensive reinstalling / tweaking the encoding softwares, I believe the problem for me was in one of the AviSynth versions included with the Gknot 0.28 package. In the old computer setup prior to the harddrive crash, I had Gknot 0.28, but included in it was an older version of AviSynth, I believe. And once I installed the new harddrive with all software reinstall, I downloaded one of the newer Gknot 0.28 packages which included also a newer AviSynth. And ever since then, reboots had been happening during encodings.

I resinstalled verions 2.0.8 of Avisynth with older filters to accomodate it, and the problem went away. And I installed the latest version of Gknot (0.28.4 beta) and the problem also went away.

Anyway, just found that absolutely weird. I tried to look into Avisynth patch history to try to find out what exactly in its version changes might have caused the problem, but couldn't find anything concrete.

Thanx again to all of you guys for the help,

Cheers,
-Polarbear