Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th February 2016, 00:36   #36421  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokrySedeS View Post
Yes, I know about these settings in the player, as I say they have NOTHING to do with MadVR's decision to rescale a frame if it has black borders when the auto A/R is enabled. My player is set to normal size, no zoom, original A/R etc, and if I switch to EVR-CP (or if I switch MadVR's auto A/R off), as mentioned earlier, there is no scaling/zooming problem (but then of course, there is no auto A/R from MadVR).

I don't think anyone understands what the issue is, hopefully Madshi will and will agree that in some cases (namely for those using exclusively vertical shift to move the picture up/down according to its A/R on 16/9 screens) we should be able to use the auto A/R without any scaling/zooming, i.e. the picture will shift up/down to get rid of one of the black bars and we'll get small black bars on the sides. It's not difficult to do, it simply needs a "no scaling" option in the existing list of sizes of black borders for which we don't want to apply scaling, or to put a value there much larger than 50, something like 100 or even 200.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 24th February 2016 at 00:42.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 00:38   #36422  |  Link
XMonarchY

I noticed that rips performed with HEVC run much worse than rips performed with h.264/x.264 using similar settings... Is that normal?
Old 24th February 2016, 00:45   #36423  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
I noticed that rips performed with HEVC run much worse than rips performed with h.264/x.264 using similar settings... Is that normal?
Yes as unless you have a 960 or 950 there is no h/w acceleration for HEVC 10bits in LAV. There is some acceleration in PowerDVD though using OpenCL I think, so worth a try in the meantime, but that won't help you with MadVR of course.

You should only have issues with HEVC 10bits, as HEVC 8bits is accelerated in more GPUs, but you need to check for h/w acceleration support.

AMD Artic Islands and NVidia Pascal later this year (summer for AMD) are expected to bring all we need for HEVC 10bits, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a for HDR, etc.

In the meantime, moving to 64bits significantly helps. HEVC 10bits files used to stutter badly on my rig (see my sig) with 32bits LAV/MadVR/MPC-Be, and moving to 64bits made them fully playable.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 24th February 2016 at 00:48.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 00:52   #36424  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Yes as unless you have a 960 or 950 there is no h/w acceleration for HEVC 10bits in LAV. There is some acceleration in PowerDVD though using OpenCL I think, so worth a try in the meantime, but that won't help you with MadVR of course.

You should only have issues with HEVC 10bits, as HEVC 8bits is accelerated in more GPUs, but you need to check for h/w acceleration support.

AMD Artic Islands and NVidia Pascal later this year (summer for AMD) are expected to bring all we need for HEVC 10bits, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a for HDR, etc.

In the meantime, moving to 64bits significantly helps. HEVC 10bits used to stutter badly on my rig (see full sig) with 32bits LAV/MadVR/MPC-Be, and moving to 64bits made them fully playable.
That sucks... Hopefully HEVC won't become THE standard...

Some other questions for everyone:
Which SSIM Downscaling % is equal to previous madVR's build's values for 2D?

Any ideas which settings to reduce to get Doubling SuperSampling to work on 1080p? I tried NNEDI3 16n for Luma-Only Doubling-Only and NNEDI3 16n for Chroma Upscaling, but I still got mad drops. Doubling 1080p content with NNEDI3 and NNED3 Chroma Upscaling + SSIM downscaling 2D 100% looks SOOO good though!

EDIT: Even if I set Doubling to 2x with NNEDI3 16n and Jinc for Chroma Upscaling, I still get mad dropped frames...
Old 24th February 2016, 01:15   #36425  |  Link
baii

If you want to play with supersampling then you need to turn down other toys, nnedi chroma, error diffusion is two big one that get slashed right away.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 01:57   #36426  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Some other questions for everyone:
Which SSIM Downscaling % is equal to previous madVR's build's values for 2D?

Any ideas which settings to reduce to get Doubling SuperSampling to work on 1080p? I tried NNEDI3 16n for Luma-Only Doubling-Only and NNEDI3 16n for Chroma Upscaling, but I still got mad drops. Doubling 1080p content with NNEDI3 and NNED3 Chroma Upscaling + SSIM downscaling 2D 100% looks SOOO good though!

EDIT: Even if I set Doubling to 2x with NNEDI3 16n and Jinc for Chroma Upscaling, I still get mad dropped frames...
100% should be what it was before.

Yeah it's pretty demanding, I have to used SSIM 1D and NNEDI3 16 neurons with my 960, although I am running error diffusion.

Depending on the content you may not notice much of a difference. I took a look at the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F blu-ray and using NNEDI3 doubling and SSIM 1D downscaling actually reduced picture crispness ever so slightly. I'm thinking if I'm going to be using it I'll need something more powerful so I can enable refinements. I think basically that's where the doubling will come in handy, with high quality sources if you're just doubling and downscaling it might just end up having the same slight reduction in crispness. But with content that has aliasing issues even at 1080 you will stand to gain more from it with some nice anti-aliasing as a result of the upscasling and downscaling process.

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th February 2016 at 02:01.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 02:32   #36427  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Hey man, even with the changes your guide has a lot of incorrect informations,
The problem with most of the guides is afirmations without explanations, I started using madvr with a guide that has a lot of wrong informations, for a beginner this is bad because we tend to believe on guides
Did you reads the thread madvr options explaned?
You should try to explain the configs and if you want talk about your preferences as personal preferences
Like the topic about image refinements and upscaling refinements, is simple wrong and not explained...
Doubling and chroma upscaling too
I just edited this guide today for content, which is easier to follow for a new user. It uses many of the definitions provided by Asmodian along with numerous other credible sources.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 03:09   #36428  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I just edited this guide today for content, which is easier to follow for a new user. It uses many of the definitions provided by Asmodian along with numerous other credible sources.
Thanks man
Today I don't need a guide anymore but is good to know to recomend to my friends...
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 04:31   #36429  |  Link
baii

Quick question for profile rule using display, does active display mean where the player window is in, or the displays that are connected?
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 04:50   #36430  |  Link
hu1kamania

Here is an example of SuperSampling at 1080p that I thought turned out nice, so I wanted to share. It's before and after Doubling. Of course the doubled image benefits from some Refinements

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/163078

Image Downscaling: SSIM 1D 100% AR LL
Image Upscaling: Jinc AR
Image Doubling: NNEDI3, 32
Upscaling Refinement: Crispen edges: 1.0 w/ Linear Light and AR
Enhance detail: 1.0
SuperRes: 2 w/ linear light
Chroma Upscaling: NNEDI3 32
hu1kamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 05:09   #36431  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu1kamania View Post
Here is an example of SuperSampling at 1080p that I thought turned out nice, so I wanted to share. It's before and after Doubling. Of course the doubled image benefits from some Refinements
That's what image enhancement SHOULD look like, looks good.
Can't image anyone who would rather look at the slightly softer picture.

It actually looks like there's more resolution which is exactly what you want, no aliasing, no white haloing, no excessive brightness.

Could you post another the same image with the same settings without supersampling for comparison? (with enhancements)

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th February 2016 at 05:11.
Old 24th February 2016, 05:28   #36432  |  Link
hu1kamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
That's what image enhancement SHOULD look like, looks good.
Can't image anyone who would rather look at the slightly softer picture.

It actually looks like there's more resolution which is exactly what you want, no aliasing, no white haloing, no excessive brightness.

Could you post another the same image with the same settings without supersampling for comparison? (with enhancements)
Here is another before and after SuperSampling, was that what you wanted?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/163079
Old 24th February 2016, 05:39   #36433  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Here is another before and after SuperSampling, was that what you wanted?

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/163079
If the only difference is enabling/disabling NNEDI3 then yes. I ony wish to observe the difference between the image enhancements working on a 2x upscale and the effects of SSIM 1D vs enhancements working on the original 1080 image. It feel it's unfair to compare stock 1080 with no enhancements vs a supersampled enhanced picture.
Old 24th February 2016, 06:12   #36434  |  Link
hu1kamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
If the only difference is enabling/disabling NNEDI3 then yes. I ony wish to observe the difference between the image enhancements working on a 2x upscale and the effects of SSIM 1D vs enhancements working on the original 1080 image. It feel it's unfair to compare stock 1080 with no enhancements vs a supersampled enhanced picture.
I agree, it's not a fair comparison! Here is one without the refinements, aside from SR 2. VERY difficult to discern a difference:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/163082

Not nearly as much fun, and perhaps not the ideal source for this experiment.

As I understand it, applying image refinements to a doubled image should boast better results vs. regular image enhancements. I mainly just wanted to show that nice results can be achieved with SuperSampling.
Old 24th February 2016, 06:58   #36435  |  Link
thewebchat
Advanced Blogging

madVR since 0.90.11 has crashed w/ Skylake iGPU (HD 520) on videos with dimension 702x480. Default settings, 64-bit.
thewebchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 07:09   #36436  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebchat View Post
madVR since 0.90.11 has crashed w/ Skylake iGPU (HD 520) on videos with dimension 702x480. Default settings, 64-bit.
Yup, that'll be the same problem already reported a few times, I suspect it'll be fixed in the next version.
Old 24th February 2016, 07:10   #36437  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I agree, it's not a fair comparison! Here is one without the refinements, aside from SR 2. VERY difficult to discern a difference:
Actually if you could do that with your previous screenshot (Smaug on his treasure) that'd be great.
Old 24th February 2016, 09:39   #36438  |  Link
MokrySedeS
I am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Yes, I know about these settings in the player, as I say they have NOTHING to do with MadVR's decision to rescale a frame if it has black borders when the auto A/R is enabled. My player is set to normal size, no zoom, original A/R etc, and if I switch to EVR-CP (or if I switch MadVR's auto A/R off), as mentioned earlier, there is no scaling/zooming problem (but then of course, there is no auto A/R from MadVR).

I don't think anyone understands what the issue is, hopefully Madshi will and will agree that in some cases (namely for those using exclusively vertical shift to move the picture up/down according to its A/R on 16/9 screens) we should be able to use the auto A/R without any scaling/zooming, i.e. the picture will shift up/down to get rid of one of the black bars and we'll get small black bars on the sides. It's not difficult to do, it simply needs a "no scaling" option in the existing list of sizes of black borders for which we don't want to apply scaling, or to put a value there much larger than 50, something like 100 or even 200.
But in my screenshot you can clearly see that the image is cropped by madvr, shifted to the top and the zoom is at 100%.
Isn't it exactly what you want?

Here's a better example:

The option you mention doesn't even have to be enabled.
MokrySedeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 10:06   #36439  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Manni, can you please post a screenshot of the situation when zooming happens although it shouldn't, with Ctrl+J OSD turned on, with your media player set to 100% or "no zoom"?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 10:19   #36440  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
Hey man, even with the changes your guide has a lot of incorrect informations,
The problem with most of the guides is afirmations without explanations, I started using madvr with a guide that has a lot of wrong informations, for a beginner this is bad because we tend to believe on guides
Did you reads the thread madvr options explaned?
You should try to explain the configs and if you want talk about your preferences as personal preferences
Like the topic about image refinements and upscaling refinements, is simple wrong and not explained...
Doubling and chroma upscaling too
Thanks for pointing that out.

I edited it and added a few words about those segments of the review, please help me improve, if you feel that it is not quite there.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling