Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th June 2003, 00:37   #1  |  Link
rapjp2001

How do I make AVISource work on my DV-AVI?

Guys,

I am new to AVISynth and I wanted to open this DV-AVI I captured to my machine and it kept giving me this bizaare "Unrecognized Exception"!!!

All I had in my AVS file was AVIFileSource("MyFile.AVI")...

I then tried using OopenDMLSource, Got the same damn error...

Then I tried DirectShowSource and it worked!!!

Is DirectShowSource going to work for me well or do I need to make AVISynthWork with AVIFileSource???

All I want to do is frameserve this AVI to CCE and be able to do some filtering that may help make the video better...

Please advise a newbie!!!

Thanks

Rajiv
rapjp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 00:48   #2  |  Link
bilu

DirectShowSource has problems with seeking, but you won't seek during encode, I guess

I think you should have any more problems, given that you're not using filters in the script. Just ensure you are using the correct way for your Avisynth version to frameserve to CCE.

Good luck.

Bilu
bilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 03:33   #3  |  Link
rapjp2001

Thanks Bilu,

You wrote
<<
DirectShowSource has problems with seeking, but you won't seek during encode, I guess
>>
I guess not since I am getting a frame at a time in a linear fashion...right?

With that said, is there any way I can get AVIsynth to open my DV-AVI using AVIFileSource??? Then I will be covered in all aspects...

<<
I think you should have any more problems,
>>
I think you meant that I should *not* have any problems, right? :-)

<<
given that you're not using filters in the script.
>>
Well, the whole point of going the AVISynth route was to be able to do some pre-filtering like PeachSmoother etc. and then feed that frame by frame to CCE...With what you said, will that be an issue???

As it stands, If I do not do this filtering, I can feed the DV-AVI directly to CCE and it works, its just that I want to smooth the picture a bit...hence this AVISynth method...

<<
Just ensure you are using the correct way for your Avisynth version to frameserve to CCE.
>>
Can you please expand on what you mean by the correct way, I thought there was only one way and that was to open the file, do some filtering etc. and feed this AVS to CCE...Am I missing something???

Please help me get my arms around AVISynth...]

Thanks
Old 25th June 2003, 13:24   #4  |  Link
troy

I am having the same issues as rap. Does it matter if I open up with directshowsource if I want to do filtering.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 14:45   #5  |  Link
bilu

Read this first:

http://www.avisynth.org/index.php?page=DirectShowSource

Ask questions later if you have doubts, but I think it's all here.

Best regards,
Bilu
bilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 19:06   #6  |  Link
Unarmed

Have you tried installing a VfW DV codec, such as Canopus' DV playback codec? If it's a standard DV video stream in an AVI, the Canopus codec should allow you to open the file with AVISource().
Unarmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2003, 19:58   #7  |  Link
rapjp2001

I just installed the Canopus DV Codec and it still complains with a message "Evaluation: Unrecognized Exception"...When I switch back to DirectShowSource, it plays fine...

However, I tried a DV-TYpe 2 AVI file and it worked...It seems to be that if you have a DV Type 1 file, AVISynth complains....

I did not try the type 2 file before installing the Canopus codec, so I cannot say for sure what caused the AVISource on this type 2 to play -- was it the Canopus Codec or it would have worked regardless...

Rajiv
Old 25th June 2003, 20:06   #8  |  Link
Unarmed

Ah. If it's type-1, you're pretty much stuck with using DirectShowSource.
Unarmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2003, 16:06   #9  |  Link
baz00ie

Don't worry so much, this is an easy one...

First start using WinDV to tansfer your DV data to and from your computer. That tiny program will transfer in either type-1 or type-2. If you want to use AviSynth and VDub then select Type-2 in WinDV.

Type-2 will load directly into Virtualdub and AviSynth uses the script: AVISource("C:\video.avi")

------------------------

Install both the Panasonic codec and the Canopus decoder ( look in the DV forum stickys for links)

I use the Panasonic codec for working in the RGB color space (virtualDub)

...and the Canopus decoder for the YUV color space (AviSynth)

The video data is exactly the same but you can determine which codec does the decoding by changing the FourCC code from "dvsd" to "cdvc".

note: If the Canopus codec is doing the decoding then you don't have to add the line "ConvertToYUY2()" in your AviSynth script.

"dvsd" = Panasonic/Microsoft/Sony

"cdvc" = Canopus

good Luck

baz

also, type-1 Dv can be converted to type-2, the data is exacly the same, only type-1 uses just one data steam to save space.
baz00ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2003, 16:15   #10  |  Link
rapjp2001

Thanks baz00ie for the feedback...

And yes, I have started using Vegas video or WinDV to do my captures as they allow for capture as Type 2 files.

Re: the codecs...I have installed both...I was curious, how do you change the fourCC code??? Is that flag what tells VirtualDub or AViSynth or any other program what codec to use when decoding?

Which is better codec to use -- I forget what CCE expects the output to be - I think it expects in YUV format rather than RGB and if that is the case, then will my resultant filtered newly saved AVI from VirtualDub(assuming I do prefiltering and then feeding teh AVI to CCE rather than frameserving using AVISynth) be problematic for CCE???

Thanks

Rajiv
Old 27th June 2003, 04:54   #11  |  Link
baz00ie

Re: the codecs...I have installed both...I was curious, how do you change the fourCC code??? Is that flag what tells VirtualDub or AViSynth or any other program what codec to use when decoding?

To change the FourCC thingy, go to Doom9's Full Software download page and under "Avi editing tools" you'll find a tiny program called FourCC changer.

...and yes the FourCC is part of the video file "header" that tells an application like Media Player what the file is and how to deal with it.

Choosing to use the Panasonic or Canopus codec should depend only upon which color space you intend to process the video in. for example if you're using VirtualDub and it's filters, or maybe After Effects then you'll want to use the Panasonic codec because it will automatically upsample the DV data from it's native YUV color space to the computer's color space, RGB...

However, if you're using AviSynth then you can keep the DV data in it's original YUV color space and eliminate the need for any kind of color conversion. For that you'll want to use the Canopus decoder. When you pass the video data from AviSynth to VirtualDub select "fast recompress" (in VDub) to render your final video file.

Video data = YUV
Computer data = RGB
And how we go about dealing with it is why we're here

(and don't get me started on NTSC, PAL and Film,... cause that's just another headache)

good luck
baz
Old 27th June 2003, 07:00   #12  |  Link
kaitsuburi

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarmed
Have you tried installing a VfW DV codec, such as Canopus' DV playback codec?
Do you know of any other place this codec is available? The link is broken (has been for a while, IIRC).

Thanks!

-kaitsburi
Old 27th June 2003, 15:08   #13  |  Link
baz00ie

sure,... head over to the DV forum page, there is a "links" sticky that has what you want.

later
baz
Old 27th June 2003, 15:37   #14  |  Link
kaitsuburi

Thanks baz!

The Canopus ftp link in the sticky still doesn't work for me (it's the same as the broken link above), but there is alternative hosting for the Canopus DV codec here, one of the other links from the sticky.

-kaitsuburi
Old 28th June 2003, 05:48   #15  |  Link
troy

Is there a problem with the canopus codec and windows xp sp1. I installed the canopus converter and tried to convert some avi files and it crashed my computer and I had to reformat my drive.
Old 28th June 2003, 18:12   #16  |  Link
stickboy
AviSynth Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by kaitsuburi
Do you know of any other place this codec is available? The link is broken (has been for a while, IIRC).
The download link on Canopus' web site works fine for me...
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2003, 01:02   #17  |  Link
troy

I used the fourcc changer to convert my type1 avi file to convert with cce using avisynth. This still does not work. CCE will seem to convert but the conversion is done very quick and the output m2v file just has a logo about not having cvsd codec. I am successful if I first convert my type1 avi file to type2 and then convert with fourcc. Is it worth it to do this. Will my output file look any better if I use avisource as opposed to directshowsource. Yes I will eventually test this out for myself but are there any ideas about this.