Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 11th May 2013, 01:39   #1041  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Here is a small experimental update which improves support for adding multiple jobs/file at once.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2013 at 21:23.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 16:17   #1042  |  Link
superhil

thank you for the update :-D
btw, any plan to add resize and crop options as part of GUI?
superhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 18:03   #1043  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhil View Post
any plan to add resize and crop options as part of GUI?
Not currently.

That's mainly because pre-processing filters don't fit well into the existing "configuration" and "template" system (although the filters currently end up there, if you write them into the "custom parameters" box).

It's more a separate thing that should be kept in a separate data structure, I think. But I currently don't have the time to do that properly.
Old 13th May 2013, 06:09   #1044  |  Link
superhil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
That's mainly because pre-processing filters don't fit well into the existing "configuration" and "template" system (although the filters currently end up there, if you write them into the "custom parameters" box).
I agree with this, it should be separated from template.
How about simply add this (crop and resize) as part of "custom parameters"?
I mean, for example, if resize option is checked, then it will add some parameter into "custom parameter"

----
btw, is it possible to make this software automatically delete "file.stats" and "file.stats.mbtree" after the process finished when we use 2-pass mode?
i don't know much about programming, but i think it's not that difficult to add this command.

thank you

Last edited by superhil; 13th May 2013 at 09:13.
superhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:37   #1045  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
I agree with this, it should be separated from template.
How about simply add this (crop and resize) as part of "custom parameters"?
I mean, for example, if resize option is checked, then it will add some parameter into "custom parameter"
The "custom parameter" belong to the encoder settings. Something like pre-processing filters, logically, don't fit in there very well.

Quote:
btw, is it possible to make this software automatically delete "file.stats" and "file.stats.mbtree" after the process finished when we use 2-pass mode?
i don't know much about programming, but i think it's not that difficult to add this command.
Sure, this is straight forward to do. But surly most users don't want that, so I would have to make it an option.

Adding that new option to the GUI as well as to the internal data structures and saving/loading it from the INI file is the bigger work...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2013 at 00:16.
Old 14th May 2013, 01:46   #1046  |  Link
VideoFanatic

Slowed Down encodings bug

I encode several videos each day in Simple x264 Launcher. I get around 13-14 FPS. However I've noticed that if an encoding in the queue starts while I'm doing something CPU intensive like muxing a video (which only takes a couple of minutes) then the encoding may encode at between 6-10 FPS. The problem is that after I finish muxing a video and all the cores are free, the encoding speed does not recover to 13-14 FPS, it just stays at 6-10 FPS. Is there any way you can fix that please?
VideoFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 10:07   #1047  |  Link
detmek

Using latest stabe build and experimental too gives me an error when I click on Show Help screen for x264 and Avs2YUV.

Encoding works fine for normal files. I didn't try AVS script yet.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 17:10   #1048  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
I encode several videos each day in Simple x264 Launcher. I get around 13-14 FPS. However I've noticed that if an encoding in the queue starts while I'm doing something CPU intensive like muxing a video (which only takes a couple of minutes) then the encoding may encode at between 6-10 FPS. The problem is that after I finish muxing a video and all the cores are free, the encoding speed does not recover to 13-14 FPS, it just stays at 6-10 FPS. Is there any way you can fix that please?
Not related to Simple x264 Launcher. It's scheduler of the operating system which decides how much CPU time a specific process gets at given moment in time. Should be clear that if you create more processes at the same time, like running a Muxer while you already are running a video encoder, things will become slower, because your CPU doesn't magically duplicate, so all process need to share the available CPU resources.

Finally, if you "slow down" a running encoder process for a certain time, e.g. by running other CPU intensive processes in parallel, of course this will have a permanent effect on its overall (average) throughput. That's because, even if the other processes terminate, the encoder process cannot use more than 100% of the CPU time, so it can never catch up the time it already lost! - as compared to running with 100% CPU time all the way.

(Car analogy: If your car can drive at most 100 km/h, then the maximum average speed you can ever reach would be 100 km/h, i.e. driving 100 km/h all the time. Consequently, if at any point you get slowed down by a traffic jam and thus are forced to drive slower than 100 km/h, this will permanently reduce your average speed, i.e. you will arrive later - regardless of what happens after the traffic jam)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2013 at 17:18.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:17   #1049  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmek View Post
Using latest stabe build and experimental too gives me an error when I click on Show Help screen for x264 and Avs2YUV.

I see what the problem is. Will be fixed shortly!
Old 14th May 2013, 17:30   #1050  |  Link
VideoFanatic

Quote:
Finally, if you "slow down" a running encoder process for a certain time, e.g. by running other CPU intensive processes in parallel, of course this will have a permanent effect on its overall (average) throughput. That's because, even if the other processes terminate, the encoder process cannot use more than 100% of the CPU time, so it can never catch up the time it already lost! - as compared to running with 100% CPU time all the way.
I know that, what I'm saying is that if an encoding starts at the same time while I'm muxing a video then the FPS encoding speed will drop by up to half from 13FPS to 6.5 FPS. That's normal due to 2 programs using the CPU at the same time. What I'm saying is, is that when the muxing has completed after a couple of minutes and Simple x264 Launcher is the only program using the CPU again, the encoding speed does not go back up to 13 FPS.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:38   #1051  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
I know that, what I'm saying is that if an encoding starts at the same time while I'm muxing a video then the FPS encoding speed will drop by up to half from 13FPS to 6.5 FPS. That's normal due to 2 programs using the CPU at the same time. What I'm saying is, is that when the muxing has completed after a couple of minutes and Simple x264 Launcher is the only program using the CPU again, the encoding speed does not go back up to 13 FPS.
And I already explained to you why that is

Back to the car analogy: If you start at 12:00 at your home and you know that you would arrive at your destination at 18:00, given that you drive at maximum speed of 100 km/h all the time, but then you get into a traffic jam and need to drive only 50 km/h for a period of 2 hours, can you still arrive at 18:00? No you can't! Even if you drive 100 km/h again for the rest of the way.

Here the car's current speed corresponds to the percentage of CPU time the encoder process gets assigned. And the time of arrival corresponds to the overall encoding time, and thus to the (average) encoder throughput, i.e. the number of frames processed per second. That's because the number of frames is fixed, but the encoding time may vary.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2013 at 17:55.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:56   #1052  |  Link
VideoFanatic

The car analogy seems to say that if you're due to arrive at 6PM but you get caught in a traffic jam then of course your journey will take longer. I understand that. Obviously the encoding will take longer if I mux a video at the same time as doing the encoding because the CPU power will be shared between them. What I'm saying is that I got 13FPS before I started muxing a video then when I started muxing a video, the encoding speed halved. After the muxing was complete, the encoding speed did not go back to 13FPS even though nothing else was using the CPU. Of course the encoding will take longer due to the time lost, the problem is that the FPS speed stays at half even after the muxing was complete.

If I was to do the same thing with HC Encoder for example, the FPS speed goes back to normal after I've finished muxing a video. Why does that not happen with your program? Could you fix it please.
Old 14th May 2013, 18:02   #1053  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You seem to make the assumption that the "FPS" value displayed by x264 is something like an average over the last few seconds only. But it's not! It's simply the number of frames processed so far, divided by the number of seconds that have passed since the encode started. In other words, it's x264's current estimate of the overall average throughput. Thus, it should go up, slightly and slowly, after your other processes have terminated. But it clearly cannot reach the maximum of 13 fps again - just like you said yourself: the journey will take longer... (or in other words: in the end, the FPS will be lower)

Code:
1701     int64_t i_time = x264_mdate();
1702     if( i_previous && i_time - i_previous < UPDATE_INTERVAL )
1703         return i_previous;
1704     int64_t i_elapsed = i_time - i_start;
1705     double fps = i_elapsed > 0 ? i_frame * 1000000. / i_elapsed : 0;
You can make the experiment: Suspend the x264 process with Process Explorer for a longer time, near the start of the encode. Then resume it. You will then see an FPS value near zero

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 14th May 2013 at 23:28.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:25   #1054  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmek View Post

I see what the problem is. Will be fixed shortly!
Fixed version is available now
Old 14th May 2013, 23:33   #1055  |  Link
detmek

Thanks. Works just fine.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 21:34   #1056  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Uploaded a new build. OpenCL workaround has been removed, as it is not needed anymore.
Old 16th June 2013, 02:39   #1057  |  Link
Dion

Would you be willing to add a priority option for the CPU usage.

High
Above Normal
Normal
Below Normal <--- This is what it currently defaults too.
Low

I would like to run it in low. Without having to manually do it everytime.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 21:41   #1058  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I can add that, if there really is a use-case for this.
Old 16th June 2013, 22:49   #1059  |  Link
CarlPig

I will vote for the option.
CarlPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 23:58   #1060  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Okay, I have added the option to the preferences.