Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2001, 22:49   #1  |  Link
Lev

difference between movie and anime ripping?

hey,

at the moment i'm ripping my anime with the settings from the doom9 sbc guide.. with some additional filters like smart smoother and warpsharp...

is it smart to use these settings?

i mean there must be a big difference in ripping normal video or animation..

is there maybe a specialized anime sbc ripping guide somewhere?
Lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2001, 18:06   #2  |  Link
dragonlz

The main difference between anime and movies is that anime is only drawn at 16 fps or less(some parts as low as 1fps) It's Telecined differently than regular movies and therefore is harder to IVTC.

For some reasons, I've also noticed that anime requires more bits than normal movies. That's kind of weird because we all know anime uses a lot LESS colors than natural images and the bits requirements should be the other way around.

And again using filters such as smart smoother and warp sharp do help you get a smoother image and better quality with the same bitrate. (I think that's mainly done by smart smoother, warp sharp just make it look nicer)
Old 18th December 2001, 09:31   #3  |  Link
poopity poop
Master of Poop!

I agree with dragonlz. Its harder to rip anime because the ivtc is harder, and it takes longer because of the great fitler set of smart smoother and warpsharp, but the picture is nicer because of those.

I know when I encode Kenshin I use differetn settings when I encode a movie. Kenshin I only have a max bitrate of 3500 whereas movies I pump up to 5000 because of all the textures. I think you jsut need to encode a bunch of things to see what works the best for you
Old 29th January 2002, 04:41   #4  |  Link
flipdon
HomeStarRunner

poopity poop, your Kenshin rips were amazing. too bad you didn't encode till the end of shishio

im gonna try using smart smoother and warpsharp on a regular movie (Attack the Gas Station w/ Eng subs). i have it done without the filters so i can compare.
Old 31st January 2002, 20:38   #5  |  Link
poopity poop
Master of Poop!

accually I am going to encode the rest of them over spring break/summer so look forward to them, but I'm not going to be using my OC3 to distro them by myself I'll most likely give them to #anime-divx on DALnet(NOT #animedivx adx). So look forward to them. I'm also going to make Kenshin SVCD's 1CD rip, with a cool interactive menu, with both audio and subtitles that you can turn on and off, like a real DVD. Look forward to them. And if anyone like Gargoyles I'm going to be recording them from my direct TV this summer and making 2 CD SVCDs of them
Old 1st February 2002, 06:27   #6  |  Link
flipdon
HomeStarRunner

oh wow...i loved gargoyles. i'll be looking forward to your encodes. keep up the amazing work.

im gonna try and do Flame of Recca, have 6 DVDs right in front of me. dunno if anyone else is encoding it at the moment, but im doing it for me, and i'll distribute if channels are interested.
Old 5th February 2002, 06:44   #7  |  Link
Dali Lama

@ Poop

@ Poop, I just bought the first Kenshin DVD and I want to rip it in the same amazing quality as you do.

Can you save me a lot of time in selecting the proper filter settings from your experience. (actually I like fooling around with the settings too, but I want to see what is considered the "Best")

Also, is your resolution for the rips in 512xXXX? That's what I think is good for anime.

Ummm, Do you use neutral bicubic resize? I use that for all of my regular movie encodes.

I also apply a low temporal filter using gknot and avisynth and the new Decomb filter with post processing filter.

What do you think about those filters?

hmmm, that's all I can think of.

Thanks,

Dali
Dali Lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 08:24   #8  |  Link
dragonlz

@dali

You can save poop a lot of time by going to his page for filter setup.
http://web.syr.edu/~tjmyers/ripping_home.html
http://web.syr.edu/~tjmyers/animefilters.html

it pretty much answers all of your questions
Old 5th February 2002, 10:09   #9  |  Link
manono

I don't know about that. I think if the man himself were here, he'd say that those pages, particularly the first one, were pretty much out of date.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2002, 17:10   #10  |  Link
Dali Lama

Thanks Dragonlz for the links. I actually read his page after I posted last night.

However, I am still interested in the latest experiments and refined parameters, as Manono mentioned for the two most used filters: warp sharp and smart smoother. But I am also interested in learning more about the new optimized 3d cleaner and use of a temporal filter before resizing and after ivtc. Speaking of that, how about the new decomb filter? It worked really well on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Also, if he could give specific info about the bitrate, etc. he used for Kenshin, since that is going to be the first anime I will encode.

Thanks to all,

Dali
Dali Lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2002, 19:32   #11  |  Link
dragonlz

@Dali
No problem

If you want to get more info on warp sharp and smart smoother, refer to this thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10007
Contains a very detailed discussion about what settings to use on those filters.

Decomb works really well with anime. That's what I use now, give it a shot.