Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th November 2011, 03:37   #11101  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I would recommend to not disable anything in LAV Video, it will always pick the best format for the file you're playing.

I should probably finish dvd playback, so we can remove ffdshow video from the equation.
Quick question but what is the difference between decoding regular mpeg-2 and decoding "dvd video"? Is it the flags?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 07:44   #11102  |  Link
THX-UltraII

dont want to go offtopic too much so I opened a new thread. Could madVR+NVIDIA users take a look at this and see if you guys have this problem too?:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163225
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 07:57   #11103  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Quick question but what is the difference between decoding regular mpeg-2 and decoding "dvd video"? Is it the flags?
A DVD decoder needs to support DVD subtitles and the navigation overlays.

I tried decoding with LAV Video, and adding ffdshow raw video for the subtitles - and it failed miserably. Playback just froze when it hit the menu. When i added "support" for that in LAV Video (just accepting the data, but not drawing it), playback was fine.

So all thats left is drawing DVD subtitles and the navigation overlays that show which button is active.
Old 26th November 2011, 08:37   #11104  |  Link
jmone

Deinterlacing Issue with Non-Square Pixel Material on Intel IGP3000? I was testing using LAV Video and madVR over a range of test files using a i7-2600K with HD3000 IGP to see how it would go. It went really well for most content (including up to AVC 1080/50i material). I did find an issue however with lots of dropped frames but only if the source material had non-square pixels (eg 1440x1080, or Anamorphic 720x576i). At first I thought it was only MPEG-2 but it is also DV-AVI. So a 4:3 720x576i is fine, but a 16:9 720x576i is not.

Queues look like this:
Decoder 26-28/28
Upload 12-15/24
Deinterlace 1-5/24
Render 1-3/24
Backbuffer 0-2/8

Things I tried:
* If I check "perform deinterlacing in seperate thread" then the Deinterlace queue goes to 21-24/24, but Render 1-3/24, and Backbuffer 0-1/8
* Exclusive mode makes no difference
* If I deinterlace in LAV Video (eg YADIF) then the issue goes away
* If I use a different GPU (eg nVidia 550Ti) then the issue goes away

Last edited by jmone; 26th November 2011 at 08:55.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 14:06   #11105  |  Link
ikarad

@Madshi
I have problem with madvr and rgb32 output with ffdshow
image is cut in tow parts (up there is image, down there is black screen)

with nv12 ou yv12 output in ffdshow ther is no problem

I have madvr0.74 but even problem with all version of madvr.

Same problem with all version of ffdshow (I use the last version but I try with many versions)

Edit: It works with RGB24. The problem occurs with only RGB32

Last edited by ikarad; 27th November 2011 at 15:40.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 14:14   #11106  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
You're still using madVR as the renderer, ffdshow just does the MPEG2 decoding.

Many of the things listed in that guide are either redundant, or detrimental.

All 4:2:2, 4:4:4, and in most cases, all RGB formats should be disabled in ffdshow/LAV Video decoder's output options. (madVR needs the raw 4:2:0 data to work best).
Sorry man, this does not work. I just set it up as you have it configured in these screenshots.

I don't know why folks keep say "Yeah MadVR works fine, you just gotta use such-and-such filter setup". No, it doesn't. If you're on Windows 7+, you cannot play back DVDs (via the VDEO_TS file, not the IFOs) with MadVR unless you have been monkeying around with the DVD Navigator.
Old 26th November 2011, 15:10   #11107  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
I don't know why folks keep say "Yeah MadVR works fine, you just gotta use such-and-such filter setup". No, it doesn't. If you're on Windows 7+, you cannot play back DVDs (via the VDEO_TS file, not the IFOs) with MadVR unless you have been monkeying around with the DVD Navigator.
You should not talk in absolutes.
I can play DVDs with madVR in MPC-HC just fine, without changing anything about the DVD Navigator (on Win7 SP1 x64)

I do however use AnyDVD to remove copy protections from DVDs, not sure if that matters. The main point is, it works just fine without "monkeying around with the DVD Navigator", so your point is just not true (for me, and other people as well).
Old 26th November 2011, 15:24   #11108  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
You should not talk in absolutes.
I can play DVDs with madVR in MPC-HC just fine, without changing anything about the DVD Navigator (on Win7 SP1 x64)

I do however use AnyDVD to remove copy protections from DVDs, not sure if that matters.
No, it's not a copy protection thing (at least not a DVD copy protection thing). Happens when I try backup burns of my DVDs as well, and those had all the copy protection stripped.

Maybe it only effects U.S. versions of Windows?
Old 26th November 2011, 17:38   #11109  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
No, it's not a copy protection thing (at least not a DVD copy protection thing). Happens when I try backup burns of my DVDs as well, and those had all the copy protection stripped.

Maybe it only effects U.S. versions of Windows?
It works fine here on a U.S. copy of Win7 x64 without patching the DVD navigator.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 18:59   #11110  |  Link
dansrfe

To the people that say the regular Windows 7 navigator works for them...please explain how and what you use.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, MPC-HC latest, ffdshow A/V latest, LAV Splitter, madVR...and I can't bypass the Macrovision error without replacing or changing paths to qdvd.dll.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 19:27   #11111  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
To the people that say the regular Windows 7 navigator works for them...please explain how and what you use.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, MPC-HC latest, ffdshow A/V latest, LAV Splitter, madVR...and I can't bypass the Macrovision error without replacing or changing paths to qdvd.dll.
MPC-HC, ffdshow for both a/v (for DVDs), madVR and Reclock. There's really nothing special about my setup. It just works.

This has not always been the case, but at some point it got fixed. I'm afraid I don't know how or when as DVD playback isn't really that important to me and when I did have to play a DVD and got the Macrovision error I just switched back to EVR-CP. At some point, quite some time ago, I found that this was no longer necessary and it hasn't been an issue since.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 20:12   #11112  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:

It largely depends on the DVD I've noticed. Those with newer copy protection schemes will not work with MadVR unless I run AnyDVD to break the encryption. Switching to EVR alleviates the problem. Anyways, when I want to watch a DVD (and it's rare) with MadVR, I use Lav Filters + MadVR + ffdshow video decoder (for DVD video decoding using libavcodec on Mpeg2) + AnyDVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorbo View Post
MPC-HC, ffdshow for both a/v (for DVDs), madVR and Reclock. There's really nothing special about my setup. It just works.

This has not always been the case, but at some point it got fixed. I'm afraid I don't know how or when as DVD playback isn't really that important to me and when I did have to play a DVD and got the Macrovision error I just switched back to EVR-CP. At some point, quite some time ago, I found that this was no longer necessary and it hasn't been an issue since.
I noticed this too but after just checking today using all the latest filters + MPC-HC or Potplayer, encryption error occurs when trying to use MadVR + DVD (with ffdshow video decoding for MPEG2/DVD decoding) on Avatar DVD.
Old 27th November 2011, 01:09   #11113  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

For me DVD playback works only with ffdshow audio processor. So I have MPC-HC, madVR, LAV Audio, Microsoft DTV-DVD video decoder, ffdshow audio processor, and DVD navigator (WIN 7 64bit sp1)

EDIT:
It works without ffdshow audio processor when we set ffdshow video decoder as decoder for DVD img

Last edited by kasper93; 27th November 2011 at 01:20.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 06:42   #11114  |  Link
sexus

yeah lets just hope nevcairiel finishes his dvd support soon so we wont need ffdshow video no more
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 07:38   #11115  |  Link
Mikey2

I apologize for this really dumb question,, I suddenly dawned on me that a big point of the recent versions and discussions have me confused: I thought that on a fundamental level DXVA does not work with madVR (only with EVR...)

(I ran a few tests and sure enough I can get CoreAVC and MPC"s internal DXVA decoder to work in conjunction with EVR, but not with madVR.)

I normally use software decoding since it in itself makes no difference in image quality, but with the praises for DXVA in conjunction with the new de-interlace functionality of madVR, I want to try this out.
  • Does this imply that madVR uses HW de-interlacing when DXVA is enabled?
  • If so (as has been claimed) is madVR's de-interlacer superior to, for example, YADIF only in HW/DXVA/De-Interlace mode?

Thank you for bearing with my stupidity on this one (even after exhaustive research elsewhere I know I am not "getting" something extremely fundamental here...)

PS - Does this have something to do with DXVA *2*? Edit: I thought I had an issue there, but EVR is reporting that it is running DXVA2 (which makes sense since I am on Windows 7 Enterprise)

Last edited by Mikey2; 27th November 2011 at 07:47.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 08:12   #11116  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
  • Does this imply that madVR uses HW de-interlacing when DXVA is enabled?
  • If so (as has been claimed) is madVR's de-interlacer superior to, for example, YADIF only in HW/DXVA/De-Interlace mode?
First, you have to realize that DXVA is not a synonym for "Hardware Decoding". DXVA is a whole set of APIs that deal with DirectX Video Acceleration - which include Decoding, but also Post-Processing.

Keeping that in mind:
madVR will use DXVA Video Processing to deinterlace the movie. It will do that on all interlaced movies you send to it - it doesn't support any other deinterlacing mehtod.
And - madVR is still incompatible with DXVA Decoding. It can use DXVA Video Processing with any good software decoder, however.

If your HW deinterlacing is superior depends on your GPU, and usually is rather subjective.
Old 27th November 2011, 09:04   #11117  |  Link

Quote:
Sorry man, this does not work. I just set it up as you have it configured in these screenshots.

I have no system file modifications and with AnyDVD disabled, this still works fine playing straight off a disc. (AnyDVD is still required for Blu-ray playback, right?)
  1. Set MadVR as your video renderer under Playback > Output
  2. Disable all internal MPC-HC filters, including the Audio Switcher. (you can just right-click on the lists and "disable all")
  3. This is the minimum external filters I need to set up to have DVD playback working:
  4. In ffdshow's configuration, make sure you have DVD decoding enabled:
  5. To load a DVD, use File > Open Disc:

Open Directory may also work, I have no idea.
  6. This is my filter list when a file is playing:

ffdshow's Audio Processor does not interfere with DVD playback.
Other filters might. It used to be that I could not use ffdshow Video/Audio decoders at all with madVR for DVD playback (Macrovision error) but that seems to have been fixed.
Make sure you are up to date with MPC-HC and ffdshow. I'm a few weeks behind I think, but fairly recent.

I use ReClock as my audio renderer (particularly to play back 25p DVDs at 24Hz) but it's not necessary.

Oh, and madVR's refresh rate switcher may either not switch away from 60Hz, or introduce Macrovision errors. Still doesn't work reliably for me here so I manually switch before playing back anything.

I hope that works for you.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 10:51   #11118  |  Link
sexus

btw still getting jittery playback with .avi files heres a recent media log from one of them, i thought this was fixed in the latest lav filters -.-' , help ?!:

General
Complete name : H:\Movies library III\11-11-11\11UnKnowN.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 933 MiB
Duration : 1h 20mn
Overall bit rate : 1 614 Kbps
Writing library : MPlayer

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 1 161 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 304 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.221
Stream size : 671 MiB (72%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 259 MiB (28%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 480 ms (11.51 video frames)
Interleave, preload duration : 960 ms

Last edited by sexus; 27th November 2011 at 12:32.
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 11:09   #11119  |  Link
Mikey2

Quote:
you have to realize that DXVA is not a synonym for "Hardware Decoding". DXVA is a whole set of APIs that deal with DirectX Video Acceleration - which include Decoding, but also Post-Processing.
Thank you so much! That small clarification was exactly what I was missing!

Actually I hope this is good news. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have been having problems with frame-drops with de-interlacing on in .78 and in all situations (with decent ups-scalers) in .79. My favorite de-interlacer is MadVR’s; however, everything points to my bottleneck being the pathetically small 256MB of RAM on my SLI’d NVidia 8600GT cards. Therefore historically I have stayed away from HW decoding in the past (hence my ignorance.)

However, I have been working on the problem for so many hours and days that I am also trying to fill-in the gaps of my knowledge (specifically on the fundamental nature of these new features in madVR.)

Thus is seems H/W decoding part of the DXVA2 API/SDK is [thankfully] unused and therefore my question was in fact irrelevant. However, am I correct in understanding that, even it is not intrinsically implied, the de-interlacing API’s of the post-processing portion of DXVA2 are being used by madVR on the GPU? (My monitors seem to point to unfilled rendering queues, pinned GPU memory, and thus dropped frames while using de-interlacing.) Or is madVR simply using th DXVA2 API but still performing the calculations on the CPU, thus making this some sort of glitch in the software “plugging up” my GPU?

In any case, at the moment my GPU simply cannot perform both madVR’s de-interlacing and high-order upscaling algorithms simultaneously. Therefore as much as I like the new de-interlacer, it seems most prudent to utilize my limited GPU for Lanczos or spline upscaling and delegate the de-interlacing to YADIF over ffdshow and my under-utilized CPU…

I just wish I could afford a new GPU right now.

Thanks again for your help!
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 11:54   #11120  |  Link
mr.duck
quack quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
My favorite de-interlacer is MadVR’s;
madVR does not deinterlace. It just allows the graphics card to deinterlace.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling