Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th November 2017, 22:09   #47041  |  Link
Gopa

1440p vs 2160p

Madashi:
Turned-off, "reduce random noise" & increased, "reduce compression artifacts" (high). Turned-off, "image enhancements" & increased, "upscaling refinements" (fewer sharpeners). Results: lower render-time, even with, NGU sharp, very high, chroma & luma,with significantly improved image quality. Thank you!

Last edited by Gopa; 6th November 2017 at 10:06.
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 06:34   #47042  |  Link
Asmodian

No! Using anything but the native resolution is a very bad idea. Nothing in madVR is worth running a non-native resolution and the results would not be similar at all.

Turning up NGU quality or high for reduce compression artifacts are very minor improvements compared to the terrible quality from running the wrong resolution. Resolution is absolutely the last thing you would ever touch to get playback working. Switch to EVR before dropping the resolution.
Old 5th November 2017, 06:55   #47043  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Oh, my good ole 880m can hardly handle the new RCA high.
Use it only on the content that needs it most.. so ~480-720 Vres for the post part. Didn't see much of a difference at low strengths.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 08:52   #47044  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Thank you for the answer madshi, I've fixed the issue, it was the hdmi cable, now everything is running smooth.

Last edited by Dorohedoro; 5th November 2017 at 11:20.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 10:41   #47045  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
When you "test" a suggested optimized mode, can you afterwards apply/save it? Or does madVR complain that the GPU didn't accept it?

Can you please make a screenshot of your "custom modes" tab in the madVR settings? Please upload it somewhere else and then link to it here. Don't attach the screenshot here, doesn't work.
I managed to solve the issue I was having, here's what I did trying to optimize 2160p23:
- I started a 25Hz movie in order to *not* get the "you cannot edit the active resolution" when doing the following:
- Under "custom modes" tab I deleted the mode I was trying to optimize (2160p23)
- I then had to also delete 2160p23 in the regular "Display Modes" tab
- Under "custom modes" tab, I edited 2160p23 - test mode - success - reset gpu - optimize
- go back to "Display Modes" tab, I add back 2160p23
- Close the 25Hz movie
- Start a 23 Hz movie
- Wait 30 min
- Start the 25Hz movie again - choose to optimize the 2160p23 custom mode - choose a timing with no dropped frames - Test mode - success
- Close
- Start a 23 Hz movie, wait a couple of minutes - no dropped frames for 2-3 days - iterate the process if I want to

So to summarize my thoughts as someone who was doing this for the first time and using your guide: It seems I have two options when doing this iterative process, either I edit the custom modes when playing a movie with the framerate I am trying to optimize in the background (alt A), or when playing a movie with a different framerate than the one I am trying to optimize (alt B). The intuitive way is to do alt A, which is where I ran into most problems. If I choose to test a mode with the desired timings, I will get the "you cannot because of this being the active mode"-message. The only way to get around this (as far as I understand?) is to, say, have the display running in 60Hz (or something other than 23 Hz), and then delete the 2160p23 under "Display modes" - go to Custom Modes - optimize 2160p23, test, success, now go back to the "Display Modes" tab and then once again add the 2160p23 - close the program - start a 23Hz movie. Since this alt A seems to be the intuitive way of doing this as a newbie, the big problem is having to delete the 2160p23 mode under "Display Modes" tab, in order for the "optimize" button to work without getting the "activate display" error message - and then *adding it back* directly afterwards before closing and then starting a 23Hz movie again in order for MadVR to do its calculations when running an optimized mode.

That's why I choose alt B, which is totally counter-intuitive - because why would I playback a 25Hz (or 30Hz, it doesn't matter) movie when I am trying to optimize a 23 Hz mode? Well, because this lets me access MdVR settings and go into the "custom modes" tab, choose to optimize 2160p23, test mode, success - *without having to delete the "2160p23" under the "Display Modes" tab everytime I want to iterate the process*. I then, off course, close the program and start a 23 Hz movie to let MadVR do its calculations - close program - open a 25Hz movie - and do it all again.

Maybe I am missing something? This could be solved if I could edit MadVR settings *without having to playback a movie in the first place*. This way I could be in 60Hz, edit settings, exit, and then start a clip which forces the display into the mode I am tryng to optimize. Is there a way to do edit MadVR settings when not playing anything? If not, I would suggest that MadVR tells you (or the guide) that if you run a 23Hz movie in the background, and this is the mode you want to optimize, you have to delete the 2160p23 under the "Display Modes" tab everytime you want to iterate the process - and then adding it back directly afterwards once you have tested the new timings under "Custom Modes" tab.

I apologize if I have missed something basic, but like I said, as a newcomer this is how I approached it, and the guide didn't tell me that I needed to do this "delete the mode under display modes tab, go into custom modes to test timings, go back into display modes tab and add it back" - then playback movie to calculate - iterate.

On another note - I saw some comparison screenshots of blu-ray upscaled with NGU compared to UHD bluray that only has 2K Digital Intermediate - and the NGU ones were clearly better. So congrats Madshi - you officially beat Hollywood. so much for all your effort, it is truly appreciated!

Last edited by Cinemancave; 5th November 2017 at 10:43.
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 12:38   #47046  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
Is there a way to do edit MadVR settings when not playing anything?
Go to your installation folder of madVR. There youŽll find madHcCtrl.exe. Double click and now you should see the madVR icon in your system tray and you have access to madVR without movie playback.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 13:31   #47047  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes69 View Post
Go to your installation folder of madVR. There youŽll find madHcCtrl.exe. Double click and now you should see the madVR icon in your system tray and you have access to madVR without movie playback.
Wow thanks! Can't believe I've missed that Maybe a good idea would be if this was pointed out in the custom mode tutorial, madshi? Thay way, no one else would have to do what I did...

Last edited by Cinemancave; 5th November 2017 at 13:35.
Old 5th November 2017, 14:05   #47048  |  Link
scollaco

best output to the projector through madVR?

So I'm not an expert at these things but constantly trying to learn what I can.

I have a Roku Ultra and when playing 4K HDR material from Netflix, my projector reports:

3840x2160/24p
YCbCr 4:2:2
HDR10
BT.2020

There is no banding and everything looks excellent!!

Now I also use madVR for all my personal movie playback and I'm wondering what is the output to set? I have an Intel Nuc7i5BNK with Windows 10 and I set the Graphics Card to "Full Range", madVR output to RGB (0-255) and then my projector is set to Auto. Everything looks correct to me in terms of black levels etc...but I'm wondering if what I have set is the best possible setting to avoid banding and any other issues. Currently my projector reports

3840x2160/24p
RGB
BT.709

I also have the option on the Graphic card to set YCbCr. What is the the BEST output to the projector through madVR with my current HTPC?
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 14:11   #47049  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
...I also have the option on the Graphic card to set YCbCr. What is the the BEST output to the projector through madVR with my current HTPC?
Color space should be left at RGB. If there is an option in your PC's video settings for 12-bit instead of 8-bit, toggle that on. If you press ctrl+j during playback, you can see what MadVR is doing (and frametimes info etc.).
Old 5th November 2017, 14:52   #47050  |  Link
scollaco

Quote:
Color space should be left at RGB. If there is an option in your PC's video settings for 12-bit instead of 8-bit, toggle that on. If you press ctrl+j during playback, you can see what MadVR is doing (and frametimes info etc.).
Thanks Cinemancave. I don't have any option to set 12-bit in the Intel Graphics settings I wish Intel would add that control in the future.
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 19:00   #47051  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
I managed to solve the issue I was having, here's what I did trying to optimize 2160p23:
- I started a 25Hz movie in order to *not* get the "you cannot edit the active resolution" when doing the following:
- Under "custom modes" tab I deleted the mode I was trying to optimize (2160p23)
- I then had to also delete 2160p23 in the regular "Display Modes" tab
- Under "custom modes" tab, I edited 2160p23 - test mode - success - reset gpu - optimize
- go back to "Display Modes" tab, I add back 2160p23
- Close the 25Hz movie
- Start a 23 Hz movie
- Wait 30 min
- Start the 25Hz movie again - choose to optimize the 2160p23 custom mode - choose a timing with no dropped frames - Test mode - success
- Close
- Start a 23 Hz movie, wait a couple of minutes - no dropped frames for 2-3 days - iterate the process if I want to

So to summarize my thoughts as someone who was doing this for the first time and using your guide: It seems I have two options when doing this iterative process, either I edit the custom modes when playing a movie with the framerate I am trying to optimize in the background (alt A), or when playing a movie with a different framerate than the one I am trying to optimize (alt B). The intuitive way is to do alt A, which is where I ran into most problems. If I choose to test a mode with the desired timings, I will get the "you cannot because of this being the active mode"-message. The only way to get around this (as far as I understand?) is to, say, have the display running in 60Hz (or something other than 23 Hz), and then delete the 2160p23 under "Display modes" - go to Custom Modes - optimize 2160p23, test, success, now go back to the "Display Modes" tab and then once again add the 2160p23 - close the program - start a 23Hz movie. Since this alt A seems to be the intuitive way of doing this as a newbie, the big problem is having to delete the 2160p23 mode under "Display Modes" tab, in order for the "optimize" button to work without getting the "activate display" error message - and then *adding it back* directly afterwards before closing and then starting a 23Hz movie again in order for MadVR to do its calculations when running an optimized mode.

That's why I choose alt B, which is totally counter-intuitive - because why would I playback a 25Hz (or 30Hz, it doesn't matter) movie when I am trying to optimize a 23 Hz mode? Well, because this lets me access MdVR settings and go into the "custom modes" tab, choose to optimize 2160p23, test mode, success - *without having to delete the "2160p23" under the "Display Modes" tab everytime I want to iterate the process*. I then, off course, close the program and start a 23 Hz movie to let MadVR do its calculations - close program - open a 25Hz movie - and do it all again.

Maybe I am missing something? This could be solved if I could edit MadVR settings *without having to playback a movie in the first place*. This way I could be in 60Hz, edit settings, exit, and then start a clip which forces the display into the mode I am tryng to optimize. Is there a way to do edit MadVR settings when not playing anything? If not, I would suggest that MadVR tells you (or the guide) that if you run a 23Hz movie in the background, and this is the mode you want to optimize, you have to delete the 2160p23 under the "Display Modes" tab everytime you want to iterate the process - and then adding it back directly afterwards once you have tested the new timings under "Custom Modes" tab.

I apologize if I have missed something basic, but like I said, as a newcomer this is how I approached it, and the guide didn't tell me that I needed to do this "delete the mode under display modes tab, go into custom modes to test timings, go back into display modes tab and add it back" - then playback movie to calculate - iterate.

On another note - I saw some comparison screenshots of blu-ray upscaled with NGU compared to UHD bluray that only has 2K Digital Intermediate - and the NGU ones were clearly better. So congrats Madshi - you officially beat Hollywood. so much for all your effort, it is truly appreciated!
I can not create a custom resolution with 3840x2160p60,
Have you created one?
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 23:57   #47052  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I finally took time to try this custom resolution modes. And I can say it does NOT work with 23Hz.
Cause Nvidia custom resolution (control panel) uses 24Hz (as "title") for 23,976Hz (in reality)
Whereas madVR expects "title" to be 23Hz. It's a bug in nVidia control panel, but it's like this for so much time that I can't imagine nVidia fix it one day (I'm still in 385.41 though).
If I let madVR create the custom resolution itself, the title is "23Hz" in madVR, but madVR never manages to do optimization on it.

It would be great if nVidia managed to fix this for madVR custom modes to work, but for now, it's not a big problem since I use this setting in nVidia control panel, and it has always worked: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...00#post1781800
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 03:30   #47053  |  Link
Ed Riffles

Problems with render queues

I have currently been experiencing and issue with Madvr where the Render queues and the present queues are not fillig when using madvr to upscale to 3840x2160p, this leads to frame drops.
I have tried reinstalling the Lav Filters, MPC-HC, and Madvr multiples times in order to try and fix the issue. When this did not work i then decided to try DDU-ing my display drivers and installing and older version, that did not work either.
The only time i was able to get the Render queues and present queues to fill up was when i disconnected my second display off of my 980ti. My render queues and present queues then went up to 8 / 8. No more frame drops. Now i do not want to have to disable my second monitor in order to upscale movies and television with Madvr.
I then tried running the second monitor off of the internal igpu, i have an igpu630, with this when upscaling i was able to get 3-5 out of 8 render queues and present frames but was still dropping frames. This was not satisfactory. As of Right now i am unable to fix this.
OS Windows 10 pro latest Hardware: Intel core i5 7600k running at 4.0ghz, 980ti running at stock clocks, 16gbs of ram.
Software: Madvr version 0.92.7 (settings https://i.imgur.com/17BC4YZ.png https://i.imgur.com/nt4rruu.png https://i.imgur.com/BYsdkBp.png https://i.imgur.com/PDNgB44.png https://i.imgur.com/0b0sWfH.png https://i.imgur.com/knvDYar.png https://i.imgur.com/4xbll0A.png https://i.imgur.com/3D267hA.png ), Lav Filters 0.71.0 (video decoder settings https://i.imgur.com/z98BYcH.png), MPC-HC 1.7.13.112
Ed Riffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 03:42   #47054  |  Link
ryrynz

Excessive screenshots. Just post your OSD.

Sent from my Mars pro using Tapatalk
Old 6th November 2017, 03:56   #47055  |  Link
Ed Riffles

OSD
https://i.imgur.com/kvwrGHu.jpg

Last edited by Ed Riffles; 6th November 2017 at 03:56. Reason: too cluttered
Old 6th November 2017, 04:13   #47056  |  Link
ryrynz

What nvidia power profile you using?
Old 6th November 2017, 05:41   #47057  |  Link
Ed Riffles

I am running off of prefer Maximum performance
Old 6th November 2017, 06:40   #47058  |  Link
ryrynz

Try adaptive.
Old 6th November 2017, 09:22   #47059  |  Link
TheProfosist

@madshi I found a bug with the screenshots. I have 2x render resolution set for the screenshot. I have crop enabled. The source is a BD with 4x3 video. It is pillarboxed 1080p. So the video is 1920x1080 and its then cropped to ~1440x1080 but the screenshots get saved as 3840x2160. Since the image is cropped it ends up being stretched abnormally. Let me know if you need/want an example screenshot.
TheProfosist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 10:08   #47060  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
I can not create a custom resolution with 3840x2160p60,
Have you created one?
No, I haven't, but I have added it under Display Modes without optimizing it. Don't think I have any 30/60 Hz material atm.

"Out of Memory bug"
On another note, I wanted to play a 3D movie yesterday, and when I went back to watching 2D I got the red "Out of Memory" message when entering fullscreen. I've searched and found that this is a problem people have been having for years - but I cannot find a satisfactory solution? If I turn off stereoscopic 3D under Nvidia CP, the bug goes away. But then I have to always run the 3D Wizard before I play a 3D movie, and I would really like to avoid having to do that. Btw, I have 24 GB RAM and 11 GB VRAM, so that can't be a problem. I am running Win 10 with Creator's update. Does anyone know how to fix this? There is already an old bug report about this, so I don't want to create a new one if this has already been fixed.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling