Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th September 2017, 21:03   #46021  |  Link
huhn

my guess is "add grain" under image refinement. i don't see a reason why NGU sharp is totally without grain while NGU soft has grain.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 22:00   #46022  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is over the limited or to make it easier if you are dropping frames you are over it.
when the frame is 40.00ms
the average stats rendering how many ms should it be for not having problems?
thank you
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 22:16   #46023  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
When your average rendering time is over the frame interval time, you definitely have a problem. But depending on the GPU / hardware / software setup, the problems usually start way earlier. I have seen dropping frames starting with 75% GPU load corresponding to 30 ms rendering time for 25 fps / 40 ms frame interval time.
You have to check yourself the limit for your personal setup. Tighten madVRŽs settings gradually until you see the dropped frames or presentation glitch counter climb. Then you know the limit youŽll have to respect with your settings.
BTW there are some good madVR guides out there which answer many of this sort of questions.
And you can find these guides indeed by yourself with a little help of google
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 22:18   #46024  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
thank you
Sorry this is a joke isnt it?
Please read:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...23#post1819823
And tell me please what you dont understand.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 22:52   #46025  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
madVR v0.92.4 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:

* slightly modified user interface for Nvidia custom mode creation
There seems to be something very counter-intuitive about the new custom mode creation interface.
With v0.92.4, I can not longer create a new custom mode or optimize an existing mode.
When I try to add a custom mode I press add then fill in 47 or something.
The next screen shows the timings for the standard modes.
I select the first and press test.
Unlike with the previous version, there is no longer an apply button to select and confirm.
All I get is the TEST and CANCEL button!
With v0.92.3 there was an additional APPLY button and if pressed I was asked to reset the GPU.
What happened to the APPLY button??
Similar for optimizing an existing custom mode the APPLY button is here also missing.

If I roll back to v0.92.3 everything is working again (APPLY button is back )

GPU: nvidia GTX-680
System: Win7-x64, i7 CPU

Last edited by Pat357; 26th September 2017 at 22:58.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 22:53   #46026  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Are you sure your HDMI inputs just aren't configured differently? This is all down to your setup.. It ain't a madvr or mpc thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
Nothing to do with madvr. Sorry. I had to change a few settings from my Samsung TV. It has an option for 'Colour space', and it was set to 'auto'. I changed it to 'Native' and voila, colours now look right.
Told ya so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
well bad news on sony screens 50% is usually neutral and yes if you go lower it will unsharp.
Gosh,bit of an exception to the rule.. the defaults are usually 50 for most and TVs come sharpened out of the box.. unsharpening for content typically displayed on a TV seems somewhat counter-intuitive.
I might have a work at work on a few Sonys and see if they still do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Indeed, and it often differs among models made by the same manufacturer. For example I have an LG LCD and neutral sharpness is actually 50. On my LG plasma, neutral sharpness is 10. It's definitely not a setting you can blindly set to 0.
Damn, you're only going to know with a test pattern..That's some crazy stuff. Does anyone actually have need for something like this? Like would madshi even consider adding the ability to unsharpen?
Seems like based on these settings that going backwards with sharpening is fairly easy to do with a sharpening algo.

Last edited by ryrynz; 26th September 2017 at 22:59.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 02:29   #46027  |  Link
Stereodude

I have a problem with madVR freezing when watching the premier of Star Trek Discovery recorded from my local CBS (1080i) station. 91.11 and 92.4 both do it. EVR does not freeze. The video and overlay will freeze and audio keeps playing. The spots for freezing are not consistent. The file is clean with no MPEG-2 errors.

It seems to be an issue with the "automatically detect hard coded black bars" feature. With it off (unchecked) playback is okay. This is probably the first IVTC'able 1080i60 content with hard coded black bars I've ever played. The feature seems to work fine in 1080p24 Blu-ray content as I haven't ever had a lockup like this before. Similarly, full screen 16:9 1080i60 (without hard coded black bars) IVTC's fine with no freezes.

I'm using MPC-HC 1.7.13 x64 / Win 8.1 Pro / Nvidia 1080.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 05:13   #46028  |  Link
ryrynz

First off reset to defaults after saving your config and check if it still does it, if it does then do some logging and submit it.

Last edited by ryrynz; 27th September 2017 at 05:15.
Old 27th September 2017, 07:09   #46029  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

That Star Trek show was an odd-ball resolution... it was Univisium (2:1) and usually most cappers crop to the 2:1, but these episodes had black bars encoded... it may in fact be a bug in madVR, or maybe a glitch in your black bar crop settings... black bars should be 40 on the top and 40 on the bottom (for 720p)... 60x2 for the 1080p rips

QB
Old 27th September 2017, 09:49   #46030  |  Link
kingpage

Madshi, would there be plan to bring NGU to MPDN as well? Or is there a way I could interface your files with the render script there?

Last edited by kingpage; 27th September 2017 at 09:56.
kingpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 10:47   #46031  |  Link
ryrynz

I'm fairly certain he's already said no, it's his own take on a neural network architecture upscaler, having this makes madVR unique and this is important when offering a paid version as well as it being an exclusive.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:32   #46032  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
First off reset to defaults after saving your config and check if it still does it, if it does then do some logging and submit it.
How do I save my current settings so I can revert to them after doing the troubleshooting?
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 11:52   #46033  |  Link
ryrynz

If madVR has write access to your program directory you'll see a file called settings.bin, doesn't hurt to make a copy of that and store it somewhere.
If you launch restore default settings.bat it'll rename the settings.bin file to settings.bak so you can simply rename it to recover your settings.
Old 27th September 2017, 15:53   #46034  |  Link
dvd1

excuse me, I want a complete guide on madVR, sepete indicate any?
thank you
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 15:55   #46035  |  Link
arrgh

Win10x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Then please try running this exe and pointing it to the media player process:

http://madshi.net/madTraceProcess32.zip

The stats look ok, except for the frame drops. Do those frames drops all occur when the movie starts or when you switch from windowed to fullscreen mode? Or do they pile up during playback in fullscreen mode? What kind of judder is it? E.g. is it juddering all the time? Or once every couple of seconds or minutes?
I was traveling for more than 2 weeks and had therefore no Chance to test or to answer; now I have catched up and updated to the newest Software Versions of madVR, LAV and MPC-BE;
the Problem still persists; 2D is fine; 3D is playing fine (TV is set to 23p/3D mode), but when I close the player the refresh rate is not reverted to 50p (my standard for PAL-TV) and MPC-BE stays open with a black full screen; only a restart of the PC helps since I can not bring other windows on top;

when I switch off the "3D toggle" for my TV in the Windows controls, then I get a side by side picture on the screen; the TV informs me that a 3D-signal was recognized and I could manually switch to 3D mode; still, if I close the player it hangs too;

I switched to 32 bit LAV and MPC-BE and could use the Tracer tool, but only with MPC-BE in a window; otherwise I can not access the tool; it seems that the outcome is the same like in x64 and full sreen... MPC-BE hangs; TV stays in 23p;

https://mega.nz/#!bgFhiBpb!sNYjbZgMI...KuZRy3LGAXPofc

had no time yet to look into Win8.1; but the studder was on a regular basis every maybe 2 sec;

forgot to mention in the title : Intel KBL i5 7200U / hd620 graphics

Last edited by arrgh; 27th September 2017 at 22:31.
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 16:55   #46036  |  Link
ForceX

I can't seem to get hard-coded black bars to crop/zoom. I distinctly remember the feature was working on this particular video in the past but now no matter which option I select it doesn't seem to work (other than the big black bars option which either doesn't remove it completely or zooms too much).

https://imgur.com/a/Yjy52

What am I doing wrong?
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 17:25   #46037  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
There seems to be something very counter-intuitive about the new custom mode creation interface.
With v0.92.4, I can not longer create a new custom mode or optimize an existing mode.
When I try to add a custom mode I press add then fill in 47 or something.
The next screen shows the timings for the standard modes.
I select the first and press test.
Unlike with the previous version, there is no longer an apply button to select and confirm.
All I get is the TEST and CANCEL button!
With v0.92.3 there was an additional APPLY button and if pressed I was asked to reset the GPU.
What happened to the APPLY button??
Similar for optimizing an existing custom mode the APPLY button is here also missing.

If I roll back to v0.92.3 everything is working again (APPLY button is back )

GPU: nvidia GTX-680
System: Win7-x64, i7 CPU
I can confirm that there is a problem in this area (although maybe not exactly as mentioned above).

I'm also on Nvidia (GTX 1060) on Win10-x64.

One thing that's confusing is the "Test" button (which I believe is only there for Nvidia). Perhaps some mention of that could be added to the Tutorial, madshi?

The way it worked before was:

1. "Apply" was initially greyed out
2. "Test" would cause the new mode to be tested and then return to the previous screen.
3. "Apply" button is now active and would apply the new mode.

I believe that the way it's supposed to work now is:

1. "Test" causes the mode to be tested (so far, this is really no different than before since "Apply" was not an available option then).
2. The Test screen now has an option to save the mode. I believe this is meant to be equivalent to exiting the Test screen and then doing an "Apply". (My opinion is that this is an improvement over the previous method.)

The real problem is that (for me, at least) it does NOT save the mode. If you look at the registry (HKCU.Software.madshi.madVR.DisplayModeMeasurements), the new mode is NOT there.

Or, am I missing something?
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 18:51   #46038  |  Link
Frexxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceX View Post
I can't seem to get hard-coded black bars to crop/zoom. I distinctly remember the feature was working on this particular video in the past but now no matter which option I select it doesn't seem to work (other than the big black bars option which either doesn't remove it completely or zooms too much).

https://imgur.com/a/Yjy52

What am I doing wrong?
Set hardware decoder to DXVA2 (copy-back) instead of DXVA2 (native) in LAV filters.
Frexxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 23:38   #46039  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I can confirm that there is a problem in this area (although maybe not exactly as mentioned above).

I'm also on Nvidia (GTX 1060) on Win10-x64.

One thing that's confusing is the "Test" button (which I believe is only there for Nvidia). Perhaps some mention of that could be added to the Tutorial, madshi?

The way it worked before was:

1. "Apply" was initially greyed out
2. "Test" would cause the new mode to be tested and then return to the previous screen.
3. "Apply" button is now active and would apply the new mode.

I believe that the way it's supposed to work now is:

1. "Test" causes the mode to be tested (so far, this is really no different than before since "Apply" was not an available option then).
2. The Test screen now has an option to save the mode. I believe this is meant to be equivalent to exiting the Test screen and then doing an "Apply". (My opinion is that this is an improvement over the previous method.)

The real problem is that (for me, at least) it does NOT save the mode. If you look at the registry (HKCU.Software.madshi.madVR.DisplayModeMeasurements), the new mode is NOT there.

Or, am I missing something?
I didn't even notice the "save" option when I had v0.92.4 installed, I had to roll back to v0.92.3.
When you pressed TEST with the save option enabled, did v0.92.4 ask you to reset the GPU?
For me it doesn't ask anything.
This is probably the reason why the mode is not saved as such.

The same happens in v0.92.4 when I try to optimize a custom mode: it never asks me to reset the GPU.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 01:17   #46040  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
I didn't even notice the "save" option when I had v0.92.4 installed, I had to roll back to v0.92.3.
When you pressed TEST with the save option enabled, did v0.92.4 ask you to reset the GPU?
For me it doesn't ask anything.
This is probably the reason why the mode is not saved as such.

The same happens in v0.92.4 when I try to optimize a custom mode: it never asks me to reset the GPU.
Just to make sure we're on the same page: You press Test, a new box appears showing progress and there is a Yes button on that box to Save. When you do that, the box goes away but the mode you were testing is still active. Another box appears which mentions different ways to apply the change (same as 92.3). You dismiss that box and press Reset GPU. That causes the mode you were testing to become inactive and the mode you started in is now active again.

The main point is that after all this, the custom mode is not saved, whereas it is saved in 92.3 when you do Reset GPU.

I'm not positive (from your description) whether we're talking about exactly the same thing. I would suggest that you go back to 92.4 and try the sequence as I outlined it and see if you get the same results that I got.

Since you didn't notice the button to save and (I presume) didn't use it, it's not surprising that you didn't get asked to reset the GPU.

In any case, my results seem to show a major bug, so I'm interested what madshi has to say.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling