Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 2nd August 2005, 00:03   #1  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Batch SSRC

Are there any tools to do batch encoding with SSRC?
I have 7 albums that I need to do sample conversions with and a batch method would greatly cut down on the manual work.

Last edited by EpheMeroN; 2nd August 2005 at 00:05.
EpheMeroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2005, 02:22   #2  |  Link
johnman

Wavewizard uses ssrc_hp to resample. Look at the forum for the latest release.
Old 3rd August 2005, 05:08   #3  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

I installed your WaveWizard v0.43b just now. Are there any options I can tweak for using SSRC? Also, will you have support for ReplayGain soon?
Old 3rd August 2005, 12:41   #4  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpheMeroN
I installed your WaveWizard v0.43b just now. Are there any options I can tweak for using SSRC? Also, will you have support for ReplayGain soon?
ww has allmost all options ssrc has (everything except --twopass), what do you need? Its not a frontend so you cant actualy change a command line if that was what you wanted.....

ReplayGain is not a big priority for me, but if the is a demand for it, i can always add it

Last edited by johnman; 3rd August 2005 at 12:44.
johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 12:57   #5  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman
ww has allmost all options ssrc has (everything except --twopass),
John is there a technical reason why you haven't included twopass? I use it all the time.
ursamtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 17:30   #6  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamtl
John is there a technical reason why you haven't included twopass? I use it all the time.
Im working on it now
Old 3rd August 2005, 23:26   #7  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

Doesn't the -twopass option increase quality by avoiding clipping?

Also, I would love ReplayGain, as I have heard many times that it's much better than regular normalizing (don't know TOO much on the subject though).
Old 3rd August 2005, 23:56   #8  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Doesn't the -twopass option increase quality by avoiding clipping?
Well, thats partly true. If clipping didnt happen, its just a waste of time.

The new ww gives a message if clipping has occured, and in the list you can see which files clipped. I personally dont like it if programs do to much automaticaly. If clipping occured i would rather normalize it myself. But thats just me. I used to have this option (in an unreleased version) but since i didnt like it i also removed it again.

Quote:
Also, I would love ReplayGain, as I have heard many times that it's much better than regular normalizing (don't know TOO much on the subject though).
well it might be better, but thats not always the case. I remember a thread on HA.org that described some problems when applying replaygain and then compressing it (to mpc IIRC). I dont know exactly what how or when, but it is not always a good idea to apply replaygain.

Im going to look into it, but if its to much work, il keep it on my todo for the next release. Currently im trying to support ac3encoding in cb, and when its finished, ill release a new ww.
Old 4th August 2005, 00:40   #9  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Well, thats partly true. If clipping didnt happen, its just a waste of time.

The new ww gives a message if clipping has occured, and in the list you can see which files clipped. I personally dont like it if programs do to much automaticaly.
John, I agree with you about some programs, but then again in this case if a file did clip, you'd have to redo it again so that's a waste of time too. Having the option to do twopass available would be good for those who don't care about the extra time (my experience has been that the second pass only takes a few extra seconds anyway).

Regards,
Steve.
Old 4th August 2005, 01:31   #10  |  Link
johnman

What do you think is better, do a real two pass by first searching for the peak and then do the real conversion, or to do the second pass only when clipping is detected? Both are not to hard to do so..... its up to you
Old 4th August 2005, 02:14   #11  |  Link
ursamtl

As I understand it, peaks that exceed 0dB may not be present in the source but can be produced by the conversion process. Therefore, searching for peaks before the conversion is pointless. Detecting peaks that exceed 0dB after conversion shouldn't be a problem as long as the data is in 32-bit floating point format.
Old 4th August 2005, 02:23   #12  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
As I understand it, peaks that exceed 0dB may not be present in the source but can be produced by the conversion process. Therefore, searching for peaks before the conversion is pointless. Detecting peaks that exceed 0dB after conversion shouldn't be a problem as long as the data is in 32-bit floating point format.
Sorry i wasnt clear enough...

What i was trying to explain are the following possiblities:

-- convert it witout saving it, and look if clipping occured. If clipping occured the the amplification will be lowered a little, and then reconvert it and save it for real. This way you dont have to save the first time which improves the speed a little

- same as before but with a large tempfile. This way the resampling doesnt have to be done again (if resampling was selected)

--or just convert AND save it, and if clipping occured do everything again.

Last edited by johnman; 4th August 2005 at 02:59.
Old 4th August 2005, 04:59   #13  |  Link
EpheMeroN
EphMan

I am quite new to understanding how audio conversions work, and just audio in general so maybe someone can help me figure this out a bit. I was under the assumption that the --twopass option in SSRC auto-detects clipping and corrects it yes? Like if it clips at a certain part in the audio file, during the second pass it will lower it automatically so it will not clip. Now, if I want to use SSRC to go from 44100hz to 48000hz 'AND' also normalize all the cd's won't that leave me with another possible chance of clipping during the normalizing process? I'm just trying to find the best method of handling this. Finally, can WaveWizard decode MP3s to WAVE? Up until now I was going to use CDex to give me the WAVE files to start out with. I once read on the HydrogenAudio Forums that CDex performed really really well at decoding mp3s to waves.
Old 4th August 2005, 10:27   #14  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
--or just convert AND save it, and if clipping occured do everything again.
for me this methode makes sense - if there is no clipping, no more further time will be wasted in a second pass

BTW
maybe a mod could join this thread to the ww posting
Old 4th August 2005, 13:11   #15  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
I am quite new to understanding how audio conversions work, and just audio in general so maybe someone can help me figure this out a bit. I was under the assumption that the --twopass option in SSRC auto-detects clipping and corrects it yes? Like if it clips at a certain part in the audio file, during the second pass it will lower it automatically so it will not clip. Now, if I want to use SSRC to go from 44100hz to 48000hz 'AND' also normalize all the cd's won't that leave me with another possible chance of clipping during the normalizing process? I'm just trying to find the best method of handling this. Finally, can WaveWizard decode MP3s to WAVE? Up until now I was going to use CDex to give me the WAVE files to start out with. I once read on the HydrogenAudio Forums that CDex performed really really well at decoding mp3s to waves.
The clip detection is nothing more then finding the highest peak in the file and if its to high, lower the overall volume so that the peak is just below the max.

Normalising to i.e. 95% is finding the highest peak, and change the overall volume so that the highest peak is at 95% of the max. So if you normalise there shouldnt be any clipping anyway. And if you are thinking about normalising, i wouldnt go above 95% just to be on the safeside.

So if you normalise and resample at the same time in ww, there is never any clipping.

About the mp3-decoding, ww once had this option, but when i released it, i removed it again. Im not to sure about the licensing stuff. But it still accepts mpeg audio files since i forgot to disable that to . So you can add them, but ww only creates an empty file when "converting" them.

Doesnt cdex use uses the mpg123 lib? That is indeed a good decoder for mp3 (ww used it to), but according to the author the decoding of mp1+2 is a bit shaky. The lame decoder is also based on mpg123.

Last edited by johnman; 4th August 2005 at 13:34.
Old 4th August 2005, 14:09   #16  |  Link
ursamtl

For decoding mp3's I highly recommend dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC). I've been using it for awhile and it works extremely well. You just right click on files and choose Convert then configure the options. It's free (there's an mp3 encoder that's trialware but decoding is free. dMC handles flac, ape and a whole variety of formats. Check it out at http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm.
Old 4th August 2005, 14:14   #17  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
The clip detection is nothing more then finding the highest peak in the file and if its to high, lower the overall volume so that the peak is just below the max.

Normalising to i.e. 95% is finding the highest peak, and change the overall volume so that the highest peak is at 95% of the max. So if you normalise there shouldnt be any clipping anyway. And if you are thinking about normalising, i wouldnt go above 95% just to be on the safeside.

So if you normalise and resample at the same time in ww, there is never any clipping.
As I understand it, the second pass is something like a forced normalization in that it checks for peaks that go over 0dB as a result of the conversion process and if it finds one then the whole file is attenuated so that the peaks fall just below 0dB. So, perhaps you're right, normalizing will take care of clipping, as long as it occurs after the conversion. On the other hand, if there's no clipping, the data is not affected when normalizing is not automatic. I have read some comments by pro audio folks who advise people never to normalize.
Old 7th August 2005, 03:13   #18  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphy
for me this methode makes sense - if there is no clipping, no more further time will be wasted in a second pass
Since the votes were 1 vs 0 vs 0 in favour for the reconversion when clipping is detected, i used this method

Last edited by johnman; 7th August 2005 at 03:18.
Old 7th August 2005, 14:27   #19  |  Link
ursamtl

Er, well actually I voted for SSRC's twopass method as it is used in the program. I guess I just didn't say it clearly enough to be perceived as a vote. Ah well...

Is there any way you could at least put in a checkbox for those who want to use it the original way?
Old 7th August 2005, 14:53   #20  |  Link
johnman

Quote:
Er, well actually I voted for SSRC's twopass method as it is used in the program. I guess I just didn't say it clearly enough to be perceived as a vote. Ah well...

Is there any way you could at least put in a checkbox for those who want to use it the original way?
i just understanded that you want somekind of twopass, never you want the ssrc way. Well vote is not over untill the release so... now its 1v1v0.

Sure i can add it, but do you expect all files to clip? I mean if one in 10 files clip its faster to redo a single file then to do twopass on all of them. But ill add an extra radio button anyway .

EDIT I just looked at it, and although its easy to do on normal file conversions, the "ssrc method" gives a little problem when merging files. So im afraid i have to push this to the next release since im trying to realease a new version asap. (hopefully today )

Last edited by johnman; 7th August 2005 at 15:07.