Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th October 2011, 10:47   #1  |  Link
travolter

AVI files freezing XPSP1

I use XP-SP1. Each time I load an AVI file into a program that read AVIs files (players like wmplayer/potplayer/avi joiners etc), the program become freezed.
Its an issue of XPsp1 because there are no problems with sp2/3.
I really need to use XPSP1 because I can use all my 4GB ram using PAE. In XPSP2/3 the PAE limit is 3gb.

I tried to install all kind of codec packs and splitters.. but maybe the problem is that default Microsoft AVIsplitter is always used by default in certain programs .

Same avi videos that freeze wmplayer also freeze video players as potplayer.
Using potplayer I solved the problem using the internal-potplayer-avi splitter, instead the MS (system default) one.

I tried installing matroska splitter to decode AVIs and avoid use the Microsoft avi splitter.. but Im not able to set it as prefered one in my system.

Any Microsoft AVI splitter update from XPsp1 to sp2 is avaible? maybe something missing?

Sorry if This is totally offtopic, but you are truly experts and I dont know other sources to ask.
Thanks friends.

Last edited by travolter; 30th October 2011 at 14:51.
travolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 11:54   #2  |  Link
hello_hello

I don't have an answer but have you tried Media Player Classic Home Cinema? Make sure it's internal AVI splitter is enabled and see if the problem goes away. Well it won't help with the freezing while you're trying to edit AVIs, but it might help with playing them.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:56   #3  |  Link
travolter

thanks for reply. As I said.. I dont have problems playing video because using the internal AVI splitter of MPC-HC or Potplayer all work ok. The problem come with programs that uses the MS avi splitter as default.

I wonder if its possible disable it and force other splitter to be used by default.
If I unregister quartz.dll my system cannt play any AVi file. I wonder how could I fix this problem
Old 1st November 2011, 15:05   #4  |  Link
hello_hello

I think you can change the merit of splitters to give the Haali Splitter priority.

I haven't used either of these in a long time so I can't vouch for them:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RadLight-Filter-Manager
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...er_Manager.htm

PS. If you get it to work please post back and let me know. The last time I did use those tools was for a similar reason as you, I wanted to give the Haali splitter preference over the Microsoft one, I'm not actually sure I managed to achieve it. If I did, it didn't fix my problem (I wanted to change merits for different reasons). I'll be interested to see if it works for you.

One thought.... you did select AVI as a file type when you installed the Haali splitter didn't you? It's not selected by default. If you don't remember doing so, you may have to install the Haali splitter again before you start experimenting with merits.

Last edited by hello_hello; 1st November 2011 at 15:12.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 23:34   #5  |  Link
travolter

I was not able to change the Microsft preference over Haali yet. Quartz.dll is used in first time. Ill continue investigating the problem.
Old 9th November 2011, 20:15   #6  |  Link
travolter

This is an update of my original query with more clues to try to find the problem and a solution.

Hi guys!
I ask here because I know that there are many people using 2K and old XP versions here. Maybe someone is aware of this problem and know a way to fit it.

Some AVi files freeze any video app when they are loaded from USBstick/USB-HD and also from DVD as Im reading here: http://club.myce.com...iaplayer-67943/

Same AVI files when they are being read from the system HD works perfectly.

Any clue to solve this problem?

My external HDs and USB sticks are OK.. I verified that AVI files working OK in XPsp2 and upper.. I tested with NTFS and FAT32, same problem with small AVIs or bigger ones.
Nothing happen with other video formats like wmv/mp4/mkv/mov/mpg...
Players and apps tested: MplayerHC, potplayer, WMP.

Exist any hotfix for windows2000 or XPsp1 to solve this?