Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th February 2019, 16:08   #54901  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
So is DX11, the Go-To under all circumstances outside of Interlaced.
there are so many circumstances no.

the saves is DXVA copyback for madVR it doesn't internally harm quality and is fast enough for most PCs.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 16:26   #54902  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there are so many circumstances no.

the saves is DXVA copyback for madVR it doesn't internally harm quality and is fast enough for most PCs.
Should we create a diagram for which one to pick ?

Also highlighting the advantages of each ?

What are the advantages for DXVA 2 vs DX11 ?

Is there a difference between ATI/ Nvidia implementation ?
Old 20th February 2019, 16:34   #54903  |  Link
huhn

this is the madVR thread not a hardware decoder thread.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 18:01   #54904  |  Link
el Filou

It can have an impact on madVR quality/performance though.

Basically (as of current madVR version; 'DXVA' here means either DXVA2 or D3D11):

- as per nevcairiel's advice, Intel QuickSync and NVIDIA CUVID are obsolete compared to DXVA copy-back and are not recommended
- native variants of DXVA prevent use of madVR's IVTC and black bar detection. They also consume a bit more VRAM (few hundreds MBs) which can be an issue if you have a discrete card with very small VRAM and you want a big decoder queue.
- copy-back variants of DXVA are not recommended for iGPUs for performance reasons. They can also have performance problems with discrete GPUs in rare situations like UHD on much older systems.
- DXVA2 native can have chroma quality issues on some GPUs
- D3D11 native prevents using hardware deinterlacing
- D3D11 copy-back is slower than DXVA2 copy-back and has no quality advantages, so you have no reason to use it really
- D3D11 native is slightly faster than DXVA2 native, and doesn't have the chroma quality issue, so is interesting if you're not using any of: IVTC, black bar detection, hardware deinterlacing.

- as always, your mileage will vary for compatibility/performance issue with some combinations of software/hardware.
Old 20th February 2019, 18:07   #54905  |  Link
iSeries

For me the only drawback for D3D11 native is no hardware deinterlacing (and even then it's only a minor drawback). What would be useful is if in LAV you could set a fallback decoder for interlaced content, but that's not really anything to do with madVR.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 18:07   #54906  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Hi Guys, I am slowly entering the 4k/UHD world and I have noticed something strange - but maybe it is a known problem and the reason why I am the only one here on Intel
Here is the problem:
When I play a 4k-file that has no black bars and change something in MadVR like target nits, etc. I see an immediate effect !!
But on files with black bars nothing changes - no matter what setting I test !! The only setting that has an effect is (de-)activating "output video in HDR format".

If this not known yet could someone please alert madshi over at AVS because I don't have an account there. Thanks !!
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 19:21   #54907  |  Link
alexnt

As promised and sideways...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khfijawkkh...04624.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by alexnt; 20th February 2019 at 19:33.
alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 19:34   #54908  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnt View Post

Check your setting under Windows Power OPtions.

You might've set it to High performance

Try setting it to Balanced and see if the CPU will down clock. < in advanced setting make sure minimum cpu speed is set to 5% >

But in either case, even if it downclocks, it's using the same quantity of resources.
Old 20th February 2019, 19:41   #54909  |  Link
alexnt

Quote:
Check your setting under Windows Power OPtions.

You might've set it to High performance

Try setting it to Balanced and see if the CPU will down clock. < in advanced setting make sure minimum cpu speed is set to 5% >

But in either case, even if it downclocks, it's using the same quantity of resources.

No no I m ok now. That was a video proof that there was an issue and now problem is solved. It was a reg key that was left even I uninstalled madvr.
alexnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 19:43   #54910  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
When I play a 4k-file that has no black bars and change something in MadVR like target nits, etc. I see an immediate effect !!
But on files with black bars nothing changes !!
If this not known yet could someone please alert madshi over at AVS
Yes, I can't find the exact post quickly but it's been reported to madshi by one of the testers that black bars were confusing the dynamic HDR algorithm. It should be fixed in the next release (or you can download the latest test build from the AVS thread, search for 'madVRhdrMeasure' starting from the last page).
Old 20th February 2019, 20:19   #54911  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
No no I m ok now. That was a video proof that there was an issue and now problem is solved. It was a reg key that was left even I uninstalled madvr.
Could you post location of reg key
Old 20th February 2019, 20:25   #54912  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Could you post location of reg key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR
Old 20th February 2019, 20:25   #54913  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Yes, I can't find the exact post quickly but it's been reported to madshi by one of the testers that black bars were confusing the dynamic HDR algorithm. It should be fixed in the next release (or you can download the latest test build from the AVS thread, search for 'madVRhdrMeasure' starting from the last page).
Does the size of the black bar change the quantity of confusion ?

For example, if it was a just a little bit of black bar in a near 16:9 movie, vs a 2:1 movie with big bars.
Old 20th February 2019, 20:27   #54914  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR
Thxx
Old 20th February 2019, 21:47   #54915  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
It should be fixed in the next release (or you can download the latest test build from the AVS thread, search for 'madVRhdrMeasure' starting from the last page).
Just tested the latest test build (54) and the problem is unfortunately still there !! So I would be very thankful if anyone could inform Madshi about that because watching John Carpenter's original HALLOWEEN is really not 'fun' right now.
Old 20th February 2019, 22:13   #54916  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Just tested the latest test build (54) and the problem is unfortunately still there !! So I would be very thankful if anyone could inform Madshi about that because watching John Carpenter's original HALLOWEEN is really not 'fun' right now.
What's happening, is it too dark or too bright ?

I just tried my copy of halloween 1978, changing the nit does make the screen brighter and darker.

I am using dxva2 copyback lav, on madv 92.17

Last edited by tp4tissue; 20th February 2019 at 22:27.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 22:53   #54917  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
I uninstalled both mpc hc & be last night and madvr, too.
I also deleted madvr's folder, rebooted and then I run a registry cleaning. I also deleted mpc's folder left in program files.

I reinstalled mpc and downloaded another(older version 91.4) of madvr and extracted the folder in another drive(c: - had it on d: ).

When I started playing a movie and opened madvr settings I noticed that my settings where there(all of them, even the hd profiles in scaling) but madvr folder didn't have "settings.bin" when I extected it. As I understand it retrieves previous settings and maybe that is the problem. Is there in other location that madvr creates folders and profiles, so if I clean them will solve the problem.

I don't believe what is happening is normal. I said before that there is not such issue with my brothers rig with 4670k and 660ti.
Gpu does all the rendering and so cpu drops clocks.
I have a 4690k and r9 290 and I know(because I have seen it) that madvr did't behave with the same way in the past.
I'd say that means you have another madVR installation, maybe for another player like JRiver like me.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2019, 23:25   #54918  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Quote:
What's happening, is it too dark or too bright ?
I just tried my copy of halloween 1978, changing the nit does make the screen brighter and darker.
I am using dxva2 copyback lav, on madv 92.17
It's way too dark !! For example, the 'Rabbit in Red' matchbook at around 9:12 is almost completely in the dark.
Unfortunately I can't use 'copyback' because my gpu is not fast enough. So I hope that Madshi might fix this soon !! Thx
Old 20th February 2019, 23:35   #54919  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
I'd say that means you have another madVR installation, maybe for another player like JRiver like me.
No, it is completely normal that Madvr stores its settings in the Registry. The settings.bin file is just a secondary storage method for the settings. See it as a backup.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 00:08   #54920  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
It's way too dark !! For example, the 'Rabbit in Red' matchbook at around 9:12 is almost completely in the dark.
Unfortunately I can't use 'copyback' because my gpu is not fast enough. So I hope that Madshi might fix this soon !! Thx
measure nits only work with Cpu decode, or Copyback dxva2 or dx11.

It does not work with native dxva or native dx11, because it can not measure the frame nits.

There's no way around this. if you want to use dynamic hdr + highlight recovery, you'll have to upgrade your GPU.

Which gpu do u have.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 21st February 2019 at 00:11.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling