Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th January 2014, 20:52   #22061  |  Link
djfred93

MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window. The debug don't work either.

Log

My system : Intel Core i7@920, Ati Radeon HD 5770, Windows 8.1, MPC-HC 1.7.2
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:17   #22062  |  Link
michkrol

Thanks for the rapid releases madshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
MadVR don't load with the latest version, it is stuck at opening the file and it crash on the setting window. The debug don't work either.

Log

My system : Intel Core i7@920, Ati Radeon HD 5770, Windows 8.1, MPC-HC 1.7.2
For me v0.87.4 works correctly. I'm on Intel HD4000, MPC-HC 1.7.2, Windows 8.1, so it might be Radeon-related. Have you tried resetting settings, just in case?
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:43   #22063  |  Link
trip_let

I seem to get the same results as below, even with 0.87.4. I also have HD 4000 / GT 650M (Optimus), on Win8.1 64. The OpenCL stuff doesn't work if GT 650M is used; otherwise, it does. DXVA image upscaling + NNEDI3 image doubling looks "correct," but that's just because NNEDI3 seemingly isn't being used at all with DXVA image upscaling. With the other upscaling, there are problems.

By the way, for a test case of 540p -> 1080p, rendering times Jinc3 AR are about 22 ms, while they're about 312 ms with NNEDI3 64 neurons (for image doubling), producing incorrect colors like namaiki got.

I tried 332.21, 327.23, and 326.01 drivers, all mobile versions, all with the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
My apologies if this has already been reported:

Testing Intel HD4000 with Nvidia 650M (Optimus). I have not replaced C:\Windows\SysWOW64\opencl.dll as was previously suggested. The 650M is selected for use. I have the latest drivers installed (ForceWare 327.02, Intel 3345). I tested with madVR87d. OpenCL error diffusion is not enabled for the below screenshots, but when it is enabled it seems to produce a black image.

How the image normally looks:
http://i43.tinypic.com/10xrlue.jpg

NNEDI Chroma enabled:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2yugkck.jpg
(appears to have a green tint)

NNEDI Chroma and Image doubling both enabled:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2zi0wfd.jpg

NNEDI Image doubling enabled:
http://i42.tinypic.com/4s04th.jpg
(image appears dark and perhaps missing a layer?)

DXVA scaling and nnedi doubling combined does seem to produce a correct image:
https://www.mediafire.com/?mgvmhdovgys5dfr

Note: Video was scaled from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 for 1.5x NNEDI to be enabled.

Logs for the above: https://www.mediafire.com/?wz32v37zzd3u9bj

Original 0.87 was crashing MPC-HC but 87a-d don't.

If I disable Optimus and use the Intel HD4000, the colors are not affected as such but the Intel GPU is too slow for realtime playback.
If a log means anything (it's not crashing, just not looking correct), see here.

Profile switching and all sorts of other goodies work fine and nothing is wrong except OpenCL features not working—producing garbage output like above or black screen for error diffusion. Thanks for all your work and rapid-fire debugging efforts, madshi!
trip_let is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:43   #22064  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
With Dithering + DeBanding we currently have in MadVR, DeNoise from ffdshow, and MPC-LumaSharpen (from SuperFX, the best one yet) sharpening, I get a better picture from a full 50Gb blu-ray than it can ever have.
James could you please give me a link where I could find this sharpen filter... Guess it is to add with shaders filters in mpc (post resize)...
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:50   #22065  |  Link
antonyfrn

@madashi some good news MPCHC + v0.87.4 + Geforce 334.67 Betas I can use NNEID3 but picture is green with my GTX760 4GB
EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
ASUS Xonar D2X
antonyfrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 21:54   #22066  |  Link
Deim0s

madshi,
Quote:
Can you please check whether the problem with 4K playback still occurs in v0.87.4?
Quote:
Maybe the 4K downscaling performance issue could be fixed, too, but I don't know. Give it a try and let me know.
On version 0.87.4, playback of all my test 4k samples it became perfectly.
And with the queue settings: CPU - 16, GPU - 8, backbuffers - 3, playback too perfectly and mpc-hc not crash.
Thanks for your great work!
Deim0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 22:03   #22067  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

madshi, could you explain how 'chroma upscaling = NNEDI3' and 'image doubling, double Chroma resolution' relate when upscaling a video exactly 2x?

640x360 -> 1280x720

GPU load 37%
chroma upscaling = NNEDI3
image doubling luma = NNEDI3
image doubling chroma = NNEDI3
opencl dither = enabled

GPU load 34%
chroma upscaling = Catmull-Rom
opencl dither = enabled

GPU load 28%
image doubling chroma = disabled
opencl dither = enabled

Why does GPU load differ?

[Edit]
Same thing happens with GPU load changing when 'image doubling luma = NNEDI3' is active for 640x360->1280x720 2x scale, depending on the setting for 'image upscaling'.

I was under the impression that 'image doubling luma' & 'image doubling chroma' would override 'image upscaling' & 'chroma upscaling' when the video is resized to a 2x multiple.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 27th January 2014 at 22:21.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 22:23   #22068  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.87.4 released
Thanks!

Quote:
Would be nice if someone could report the OpenCL driver bug with the current official drivers to NVidia.
I´ve reported it to Blaire (3dcenter forum). Not sure if he needs more details though, but I just went with "black screen/no picture output" as the failure description and linked to your full post for completeness sake.

Last edited by iSunrise; 27th January 2014 at 22:31.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 22:47   #22069  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyfrn View Post
@madashi some good news MPCHC + v0.87.4 + Geforce 334.67 Betas I can use NNEID3 but picture is green with my GTX760 4GB
Same here with the last beta... Green screen with NNEDI3 chroma upscaling
&
very dark picture (but no black screen) with image doubling <use NNEDI3 to double Luma resolution>

Error dithering & double chroma resolution is still black screen

Windows 7 + gtx 660 ti
Old 27th January 2014, 22:47   #22070  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Code:
madVR v0.87.4

* workaround added: NNEDI3 upscaling failed/froze with newer NVidia GPUs
* fixed: NNEDI3 chroma upscaling produced wrong colors with 10bit sources
* got rid of some unnecessary texture sharing
Thanks for the update, but while NNEDI3 now doesn't make the video output freeze completely anymore, I still get broken output:
With NNEDI3 vs. No NNEDI3

Running on a GeForce GTX 660 Ti with latest drivers (January 7, 2014).
Old 27th January 2014, 22:51   #22071  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Thanks for the update, but while NNEDI3 now doesn't make the video output freeze completely anymore, I still get broken output:

Quote:
You have to downgrade to NVidia 327.23 drivers (or older) to make the OpenCL features work with NVidia.
You should've read the release announcement to the end.
Old 27th January 2014, 22:56   #22072  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Sent a bug report to NVidia ill try poke one of the reps over at guru3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
I´ve reported it to Blaire (3dcenter forum). Not sure if he needs more details though, but I just went with "black screen/no picture output" as the failure description.
Thanks guys. More details would be:

(1) Can be reproduced by unchecking the "use random dithering instead of OpenCL error diffusion" option in the "rendering -> trade quality for performance" section of the madVR settings.

(2) Works fine with 327.23 and older drivers. Problem occurs with anything newer than 327.23.

(3) Technical cause is that D3D9 <-> OpenCL interop doesn't seem to work properly. All APIs return success, but the OpenCL kernels seem to produce zero/black output at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfred93 View Post
If I remember correctly, this problem occurred for you multiple times already in the past. I think this is very likely not a bug in madVR, but has some other cause specific to your PC. My first guess would be some other software making trouble. E.g. do you have some sort of Microsoft security software (anti-virus or similar) running? These are known to sometimes produce such problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_let View Post
I seem to get the same results as below, even with 0.87.4. I also have HD 4000 / GT 650M (Optimus), on Win8.1 64. The OpenCL stuff doesn't work if GT 650M is used; otherwise, it does. [...] I tried 332.21, 327.23, and 326.01 drivers, all mobile versions, all with the same results.
That is very weird. I also tested with Win8.1 64. But I used a dedicated GTX 650. With 327.23 drivers I get perfectly correct image output with all NNEDI3 related options and with error diffusion. With newer drivers everything is screwed up (either black screen or green tint).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deim0s View Post
On version 0.87.4, playback of all my test 4k samples it became perfectly.
And with the queue settings: CPU - 16, GPU - 8, backbuffers - 3, playback too perfectly and mpc-hc not crash.
Thanks for your great work!
Great!

(Your quotes are still missing the ">" button.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
madshi, could you explain how 'chroma upscaling = NNEDI3' and 'image doubling, double Chroma resolution' relate when upscaling a video exactly 2x?

640x360 -> 1280x720

GPU load 37%
opencl dither = enabled

GPU load 34%
chroma upscaling = Catmull-Rom
opencl dither = enabled

GPU load 28%
image doubling chroma = disabled
opencl dither = enabled

Why does GPU load differ?

[Edit]
Same thing happens with GPU load changing when 'image doubling luma = NNEDI3' is active for 640x360->1280x720 2x scale, depending on the setting for 'image upscaling'.

I was under the impression that 'image doubling luma' & 'image doubling chroma' would override 'image upscaling' & 'chroma upscaling' when the video is resized to a 2x multiple.

Am I misunderstanding something?
The first step in the madVR rendering pipeline is always to convert all content to RGB. This is always done, totally ignoring what the image doubling, image upscaling and image downscaling options say. If you have a 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 source, the algorithm in the chroma upscaling settings page defines what madVR does to get from 4:2:0/4:2:2 to 4:4:4. This has nothing to do with image doubling or image upscaling.

Once the image is RGB, image doubling is performed (if the settings say so). There are basically 3 different ways how image doubling can be done:

(1) Either you only double/quadruple the luma channel, but not the chroma channels. For this to work, madVR converts the RGB video data back to YCbCr, then doubles/quadruples the resolution of the Y channel. Afterwords two further scaling operations are done: The Y channel is up- or downscaled to the final target resolution (this step is skipped if image doubling already reached the exact target resolution, of course). And the CbCr channels are upscaled to the final target resolution in a separate step. Both of these operations are performed using the algorithms specified in the image up/downscaling settings pages. Finally, the separate Y and CbCr channels are joined together again and converted back to RGB.

(2) Or you double both luma and chroma channels using NNEDI3. This makes it easier for madVR because it isn't necessary to do *separate* followup scaling operations for Y and CbCr channels. It's easier for madVR, but usually not faster, simply because letting NNEDI3 double 3 channels is much slower than letting it double only 1 channel. So although (1) is more complicated, it should usually be faster.

(3) Or you quadruple luma and double chroma. This is somewhat similar to (1), just a bit more complicated.

Hope that explains everything?

Generally when using image doubling I'd recommend not using Jinc for image upscaling because it would cost a lot of extra performance for very little quality benefit. E.g. Lanczos3AR or even BicubicAR should do fine as followup upscaling algorithms after image doubling.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the update, but while NNEDI3 now doesn't make the video output freeze completely anymore, I still get broken output

Come on guys. Read the v0.87.4 announcement text!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You should've read the release announcement to the end.
^ Exactly!!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:04   #22073  |  Link
Farfie

Quote:

You still need to downgrade drivers even with 87.4.

Edit: man you guys are seriously too quick, madshi, nev. Seriously dedicated.

Last edited by Farfie; 27th January 2014 at 23:10. Reason: Don't know why I bother typing!
Farfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:14   #22074  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
If I remember correctly, this problem occurred for you multiple times already in the past. I think this is very likely not a bug in madVR, but has some other cause specific to your PC. My first guess would be some other software making trouble. E.g. do you have some sort of Microsoft security software (anti-virus or similar) running? These are known to sometimes produce such problems.
It was Avast who was making trouble. Thanks for this advice and for the new version.
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:15   #22075  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
&
very dark picture (but no black screen) with image doubling <use NNEDI3 to double Luma resolution> enable

Error dithering & double chroma resolution = black screen

Windows 7 + gtx 660 ti
@Madshi
here is a my log if it can help.
Both Chroma & double luma NNEDI3 are activated
Attached Files
File Type: rar madVR - log.rar (176.8 KB, 139 views)
Old 27th January 2014, 23:21   #22076  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
@Madshi
here is a my log if it can help.
Both Chroma & double luma NNEDI3 are activated
Read the v0.87.4 announcement text!!!

Last edited by madshi; 27th January 2014 at 23:34.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:39   #22077  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
And the CbCr channels are upscaled to the final target resolution in a separate step. Both of these operations are performed using the algorithms specified in the image up/downscaling settings pages. Finally, the separate Y and CbCr channels are joined together again and converted back to RGB.
Could you clarify this separate scaling step for the CbCr channel? Does it use the 'chroma upscaling' setting or the 'image upscaling' setting?

Or what if the destination resolution after NNEDI3 luma is smaller than 2x? Does it use the 'chroma upscaling' setting or the 'image downscaling' setting on the CbCr channel?

Also when you have NNEDI3 double both luma and chroma, are you working in RGB or YCbCr? Is only the 'image upscaling|downscaling' setting and NOT the 'chroma upscaling' used to go from 2x to destination size?

I ask, since a long time ago you changed madVR so the 'chroma scaling' setting was only used for converting sub-sampled YCbCr -> 4:4:4, followed by 'image upscaling' scaling both luma & chroma together to destination resolution. If the 'chroma scaling' setting is no longer doing 2x only scaling with NNEDI, I'd need to completely reassess my chroma setting.

Side question. What is the behavior if you set both NNEDI3 doubling, and quadrupling to 'Always'? Is madVR smart enough to only quadruple for scale factors >2x, or does it only quadruple?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 27th January 2014 at 23:42.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:40   #22078  |  Link

I don't know if you know this, but NNEDI3 scaling is still not working in the new builds on Nvidia cards.
Also, there seems to be a bug where the new OpenCL features are draining my wallet.

In all seriousness, the new dithering and NNEDI3 image doubling looks very nice.
NNEDI can look a bit artificial sometimes, but even when that is the case, the overall image is probably better than without it.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:48   #22079  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Also, there seems to be a bug where the new OpenCL features are draining my wallet.
It's not a bug. It's a feature!
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 23:52   #22080  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I don't know if you know this, but NNEDI3 scaling is still not working in the new builds on Nvidia cards.

In all seriousness, the new dithering and NNEDI3 image doubling looks very nice.
NNEDI can look a bit artificial sometimes, but even when that is the case, the overall image is probably better than without it.
Myabe
Quote:
Read the v0.87.4 announcement text!!!
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling