Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 1st February 2014, 11:14   #1941  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.34

OK, here is the new beta: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Quote:
# v0.34 (February 1, 2014)
# - BD scan bug when eac3to's output includes the angle number is fixed.
# - Due to bugs of tsMuxeR when demuxing the video streams of a multi-angle MPLS,
# the "SSIF+SSIF+..." syntax is now used in the tsMuxeR meta file for the video tracks.
# - When the "SSIF+SSIF+..." tsMuxeR syntax cannot be used due to too long file names,
# eac3to is used to demux the video tracks of multi-angle MPLS.
# - Better formula to compute the bitrate from the file size in 2-pass or ABR mode.
# - The conversion of the forced subtitles of streams without forced subtitles is now automatically skipped.
# - Copy M2TS/SSIF List to Clipboard (available by right-clicking on an entry in tab 1) was broken.
# - DGMVCSource is now the default again, instead of FRIMSource.
# - Updated DGMVCDecode.dll to the latest version (b20)
Currently, the program tries to use tsMuxeR whenever possible, and use eac3to to demux the video streams only in this precise case:
- The MPLS to compute is a multi-angle MPLS
- And it has too many SSIF parts to result in a file name compatible with the NTFS limitations.

Under NTFS, the maximum length of a file name is theoretically 255 characters. However, the full length of the path\filename is also limited to 260 characters. So, the program checks if the MPLS to demux is multi-angle. If it's not the case, it uses tsMuxeR the normal way (with the MPLS as input file name). Otherwise, it computes the length of the names that tsMuxeR will give to the video files, and if it is greater than 255 characters, then eac3to is used. Otherwise, the path of the output directory is added, and if the total length of the full file name is greater than 260 characters, then eac3to is used. Otherwise, tsMuxeR is used with the "+" syntax, and the two video files are renamed on disc immediately after the demux, to re-create a descent file name.

That means that now, tsMuxeR is used anyway in most cases, and the only exception is when the multi-angle SSIF has too many SSIF parts (normally more than 20 to 25 parts). For instance, it is now possible to demux the video streams of Cloudy 2 with tsMuxeR. The Disney BDs can also be demuxed by tsMuxeR, even when they have more than 120 parts in the MPLS, because the SSIFs are always mono-angle. IMO, most BDs will be demuxed by tsMuxeR, and only very rare exceptions will require the additional eac3to pass.

Note that to minimize the risk to have to use eac3to instead of tsMuxeR, you should select an output directory with a short name and placed directly in the root of one of your drives. For example, if you use "D:\3D\", you will probably have the possibility to demux a multi-angle MPLS containing up to approx 25 SSIF parts with tsMuxeR. Otherwise, eac3to may be used, and that means that the time necessary to do the demux phase will be multiplied by 2. Not a big deal anyway. AFAIK, eac3to does a good job with the video streams.

I think I'll keep that method, unless it doesn't work well with some BDs. Of course, if you find a BD that fails, please let me know. Also, I would like to know if a specific BD needs to be demuxed with eac3to. Currently, I have none.

Thanks to jdobbs for having suggested the solution to use tsMuxeR in most cases.

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st February 2014 at 11:29.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 11:57   #1942  |  Link
Nico8583

Is it a software to create a MPLS file ? So we could create a MPLS file only to open it in tsMuxeR and remove NTFS limitations

Or edit MPLS file to remove angle information and map SSIF with correct files

Last edited by Nico8583; 1st February 2014 at 12:00.
Nico8583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 13:22   #1943  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

AFAIK, no, but jdobbs suggested to write it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I might be able to write a command line app to do it if anyone wants it.
Old 1st February 2014, 15:09   #1944  |  Link
Nico8583

Yes I've seen this post but if tsMuxeR is not able to demux properly, it's useless so perhaps we could create a playlist (like for MP3) to replace file1+file2+file3...
Old 1st February 2014, 15:45   #1945  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico8583 View Post
Is it a software to create a MPLS file ? So we could create a MPLS file only to open it in tsMuxeR and remove NTFS limitations

Or edit MPLS file to remove angle information and map SSIF with correct files
Is it not exactly what you suggested here?:
Quote:
Do you think it's possible to convert MPLS multi-angle to separate MPLS ? Because you may lose informations when you don't open MPLS ?!
The solution of the "+" syntax works perfectly... as long as there are not too many SSIF files in the multi-angle MPLS.

IMO, the problem is due to the lack of an output file name for tsMuxeR. It can demux properly, but it cannot create the files with the (sometimes very) long file names it generates automatically, when there are too many SSIF files.

There are several ways to solve that problem, including the remux to a temp file, or using eac3to. But unfortunately, all methods, except the "+", need to write a lot of data on disc, and are therefore slow. It's why I have implemented the "+" method when it's possible.

The only method that may work faster than the remux or eac3to is your idea: with a new, mono-angle MPLF file, it should be possible to generate the output file with a short file name. But for that method to work, it is necessary to write that new MPLS in the BD folder BDMV/PLAYLIST. Most of the times, that folder is read only, and you have to copy all BD files (or at least some of them) to your HDD. It's again a waste of time and disc space.

It's why I have chosen the eac3to solution. It's a second demux pass, but IMO, it's the fastest of the 3 solutions, and it is reliable. Of course, I would prefer a modification of eac3to to support an output file name. I hope it will be implemented some day. In the meantime, the eac3to solution is sufficient IMO, given the fact that there are very few multi-angle MPLS referencing too many SSIFs. In fact, I don't think there is a single 3D BD having that problem currently available. So I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:10   #1946  |  Link
Nico8583

jdobbs suggests a tool to edit an MPLS file, but the best would be to create a new MPLS file (or remove angle information rom existing MPLS) for each angle in order to replace "+" method, so we could use this with infinity SSIF files.

Yes "+" method works perfectly but it can't be used with too many files, and remux to a temp file need time and space so no interest, we are allright. Why new MPLS needs to be write in BD folder and not to a temp folder ? Is it impossible to specify files path ?
Old 1st February 2014, 16:18   #1947  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Why new MPLS needs to be write in BD folder and not to a temp folder ? Is it impossible to specify files path ?
Yes. In the MPLS, you can only specify the number of the SSIF (or M2TS) files to include, not their full path. And tsMuxeR finds the containing folder relatively to the path of the MPLS file. In other words, it must be in the PLAYLIST directory of the BD. Pity. It's why I prefer the eac3to method.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:50   #1948  |  Link
Nico8583

OK I believed full paths could be indicated, sorry, so I'm agree with your solutions to have a full working demux :
- Add output filename to tsMuxeR
- Add angle detection feature to tsMuxeR

Last edited by Nico8583; 1st February 2014 at 16:53.
Old 2nd February 2014, 14:47   #1949  |  Link
Nico8583

I've perhaps found an tip to use a modified playlist with an ISO or BD :
- Create a folder (ex : D:\BD\)
- Create in this folder another folder named PLAYLIST (ex : D:\BD\PLAYLIST)
- Create a symbolic link to STREAM folder on ISO (ex : mklink D:\BD\PLAYLIST H:\BDMV\STREAM) - Works only with NTFS file system if I'm not wrong
- Copy or create a MPLS into D:\BD\PLAYLIST and open it in tsMuxeR. It works for me with an original MPLS, so it would be good to try with a modified playlist and no need to copy all files to HDD from an ISO or BD

Edit : Symbolic link appears in Windows like a classic shortcut, so delete it will delete the symbolic link without delete data.

Last edited by Nico8583; 2nd February 2014 at 14:49.
Old 2nd February 2014, 15:55   #1950  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Nice idea. :-) I'll test it. If it works fine, that could make the CLI tool proposed by jdobbs very interesting.
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:05   #1951  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I've perhaps found an tip to use a modified playlist with an ISO or BD :
- Create a folder (ex : D:\BD\)
- Create in this folder another folder named PLAYLIST (ex : D:\BD\PLAYLIST)
- Create a symbolic link to STREAM folder on ISO (ex : mklink D:\BD\PLAYLIST H:\BDMV\STREAM) - Works only with NTFS file system if I'm not wrong
- Copy or create a MPLS into D:\BD\PLAYLIST and open it in tsMuxeR. It works for me with an original MPLS, so it would be good to try with a modified playlist and no need to copy all files to HDD from an ISO or BD

Edit : Symbolic link appears in Windows like a classic shortcut, so delete it will delete the symbolic link without delete data.
I was thinking that same thing yesterday, but never got around to trying it. Sounds cool. In fact, you could create an entire BD structure that mirrors/links to the disc if you wanted to, and work exclusively from the "link folder". Of course there's always the problem of removing the disc. Hmm... I wonder what happens to the links then? Never tried it...

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd February 2014 at 16:09.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:13   #1952  |  Link
Nico8583

Quote:
I was thinking that same thing yesterday, but never got around to trying it. Sounds cool. In fact, you could create an entire BD structure that mirrors/links to the disc if you wanted to, and work exclusively from the "link folder". Of course there's always the problem of removing the disc. Hmm... I wonder what happens to the links then? Never tried it...
Yes for entire structure but if you do that, you cannot modify any files on the structure because symbolic link try to write in BD or ISO. But you can read all files

I've tried, if disc is removed you've got an error message to tell you "Drive is not ready" when you try to open symbolic link but it is allways existent.
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:19   #1953  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I guess you can simply delete the whole folder. The links will be deleted as well, and nothing wrong should happen.

AFAIK, there is only a strange thing with links: most tools that print the total file size of a directory containing soft or hard links count the space occupied by the real file instead of just the link, and therefore you can end up with strange results like more space occupied by the files on a disc than the total capacity of the disc! That's strange, but it's caused by bugs or limitations of these tools, and that should not have any impact on the possibility to "customize" a BD using links.
Old 2nd February 2014, 17:31   #1954  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yes for entire structure but if you do that, you cannot modify any files on the structure because symbolic link try to write in BD or ISO. But you can read all files

I've tried, if disc is removed you've got an error message to tell you "Drive is not ready" when you try to open symbolic link but it is allways existent.
Huh? When you're backing up a disc all you do is read. But you could play from it, replace links with modified CLPI and M2TS files... lots of things.
Old 2nd February 2014, 17:56   #1955  |  Link
Nico8583

Quote:
Huh? When you're backing up a disc all you do is read. But you could play from it, replace links with modified CLPI and M2TS files... lots of things.
If you are backing up to an folder, but you can't replace or modify anything directly on an ISO or an BD disc because there are on a read only support ?!
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:41   #1956  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
If you are backing up to an folder, but you can't replace or modify anything directly on an ISO or an BD disc because there are on a read only support ?!
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. All you have to do is replace any links with the modified MPLS and CLPI files in the link-structure. It's essentially the same thing you mentioned that you'd already done in this link. Imagine all the small files existing locally (where necessary for editing) and the large ones (e.g. the STREAM folder) being represented by a link. It's especially useful when files represent duplicate data (SSIF/M2TS). They get big (double in size) when you copy them to your hard drive-- but not when stored as an ISO.

It my not even be worth the trouble. When physic returns I'm sure he'll provide the ability to select alternate angles anyhow. I would think it to be a fairly simple change, so it's all academic.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd February 2014 at 19:18.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:39   #1957  |  Link
Nico8583

Yes I'm agree with you but I believed you wanted to create a symbolic link to BDMV folder or parent folder. If a symbolic link point to BDMV it's not possible to edit any files under this folder, but if link goes to STREAM folder yes it's possible
Old 3rd February 2014, 07:50   #1958  |  Link
Thalyn

OK, I'm at a loss and need some help here...

As people who've seen my posts on Neuron2's thread will know, I'm having an issue with extracting from some original discs. Not all of them - just 2 for now - but that's enough to be annoying. All I've been able to do with my own experiments is to make things worse, so I'm hoping that someone can find what I'm doing wrong, slap me across the back of the head and point me in the right direction.

Steps I've tried:
  • Install AnyDVD HD
  • Find playlist that corresponds to movie
  • Extract elementary streams with tsMuxer 2.6.12 (leave options as default)
  • Wait 3 hours for transcode
  • Curse when it has the same error
  • Install AnyDVD HD
  • Extract elementary streams with tsMuxer 2.6.12 (turn off SPS/PPS and SEI/VUI)
  • Install AnyDVD HD
  • Extract elementary streams with tsMuxer 2.6.12 (force SEI and VUI)
  • Wait 5 minutes for transcode to crash
  • Curse
  • Install AnyDVD HD
  • Extract elementary streams with EAC3to 3.27
  • Curse when it has the original error
  • Install AnyDVD HD
  • Find the file/s involved with said playlist
  • Copy them to my harddrive
  • Extract elementary streams with tsMuxer 2.6.12
  • Install MakeMKV
  • Find title that corresponds to movie
  • Extract movie to an MKV
  • Extract combined elementary streams with MKVExtract 6.7.0

I've even tried uninstalling and re-installing AnyDVD, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling my ODD drivers - none of it helps.

All of these lead to the same results with Pacific Rim: around frame 95,000 about a second of video goes missing with an obvious visual artefact. This occurs a few more times between there and the end of the film, shortening it by a good 6 or so seconds.

About the only thing I can think of is Win8.1, but that doesn't make sense as PowerDVD can play back the movies happily under the same OS.

Help?
Thalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:23   #1959  |  Link
sef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalyn View Post
OK, I'm at a loss and need some help here...
Try DirectShowMVCSource .. directly from SSIF..

Last edited by sef; 3rd February 2014 at 08:27.
sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 10:02   #1960  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalyn View Post
What have you used to transcode? I suppose it's DGMVCDecode, right? Have you tried also FRIMSource?
If FRIMSource fails too, that means that the problem is in the disc, in the Intel Media library, or in AnyDVD. Otherwise, it's a bug in DGMVCSource. If FRIMSource fails also, try DirectShowMVCSource, as sef recommends. It has some decoding bugs (only with some movies), but afaik not the one you have described.

Also, I guess you encode the MPLS directly from the original BD through AnyDVD. Have you tried to rip the BD to the HDD as an ISO, then mount that ISO and decode it? Maybe you have had a timeout problem due to the slow medium. Also, with a mounted ISO, you can verify if it has been correctly ripped to HDD by playing the movie with PowerDVD (but without AnyDVD). If it's not the case, try ripping it to ISO with another method.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd February 2014 at 10:06.