Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st March 2018, 19:34   #49981  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The correct way to use ReClock is to output in PCM. This is because ReClock can resample the audio (it actually upsamples the audio like Dolby TrueHD 96K Upsampling) and then slows it down or speeds it up to keep time. The change in pitch is so minor as to be imperceptible. So this option should still be considered lossless or close to lossless.

ReClock can't touch a bitstream source because it needs to be unpacked into separate PCM channels first. So it uses another approach when bitstreaming that is not failsafe or lossless, to say the least.

Given the trouble you are having with custom modes, I would try using ReClock with PCM output. As stated previously, you lose Dolby Atmos and DTS:X if you need these. You can bitstream with ReClock, but it is not the recommended way to use this software. It even warns you about this in its configuration panel.

Or, you could just live with these dropped frames. I did for years and rarely, if ever, noticed them. It is one frame we are talking about, not several at a time. It all depends on how much of a perfectionist you are.
You got me here with this perfectionist main thing is i cant stop thinking about those dropped frames.

Like i said above i did get to the point in custom modes that madvr did optimize timings parameters but in tutorial i can see Apply option in my situtation there is Test mode option insted apply and i dont know why is like this ?

Ok i think i got it sorted manage to choose optimized pixel clock with no frames dropped/repeated expected with 95% compatibility. Reclock switched off for now.

Now my question is shall i bitstream trough LAV audio or shall i send PCM or in this situation doesnt matter ?

Update on my case :

Just finished movie with those technical details :

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2 h 20 min
Bit rate : 9 597 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 808 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

By the end of the movie i've got 175 dropped frames and 34 repeated frames ! funny thing is neither me or my missus noticed juddering, stuttering etc Madvr was played with custom timings without reclock in use

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 31st March 2018 at 23:42.
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 00:44   #49982  |  Link
SamuriHL

I spent all afternoon on that very problem for 1080p. With my panasonic plasma I was not able to come even remotely close to eliminating dropped/repeated frames and I do notice them. So, I've finally given up on bitstreaming and use JRiver's video clocking ability for smooth playback. The reality is that the receiver is going to decode the audio anyway so you're really not losing anything so long as you have a proper audio decoder for the formats you use. I'm not doing Atmos or DTS:X yet so for me this is fine for now. When I move to a UHD screen with new receiver I'll revisit this whole mess. If you notice the dropped frames and you aren't able to fix it with a custom res, then try PCM and see what happens.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:22   #49983  |  Link
Warner306

Try another custom mode. This time one in yellow or green for compatibility, even if it isn’t perfect. I had to settle for one frame repeat every 19 minutes.
Warner306 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 01:24   #49984  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I spent all afternoon on that very problem for 1080p. With my panasonic plasma I was not able to come even remotely close to eliminating dropped/repeated frames and I do notice them. So, I've finally given up on bitstreaming and use JRiver's video clocking ability for smooth playback. The reality is that the receiver is going to decode the audio anyway so you're really not losing anything so long as you have a proper audio decoder for the formats you use. I'm not doing Atmos or DTS:X yet so for me this is fine for now. When I move to a UHD screen with new receiver I'll revisit this whole mess. If you notice the dropped frames and you aren't able to fix it with a custom res, then try PCM and see what happens.
I did bitstream but without using reclock, just direct audio device and lav filters, nothing else.

I will watch some movie tomorrow without bitstream just PCM but i gave a tried alrdy for few minutes and still had some occasional drops.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:26   #49985  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Try another custom mode. This time one in yellow or green for compatibility, even if it isnít perfect. I had to settle for one frame repeat every 19 minutes.
Ok will do

Can i use reclock with it or not ?
Old 1st April 2018, 01:37   #49986  |  Link
brazen1

Good job Max. You got it. Personally I wouldn't pay attention to the stats. Most of what you see could have been from the initial start or a rewind or fast forward as well. If both of you didn't see anything, then you didn't see anything. Now you can ditch Reclock and gain back your audio bitstream. Maybe check a couple other titles so you are happy.

P.S. Try Wasapi, not Direct.
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 01:54   #49987  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Good job Max. You got it. Personally I wouldn't pay attention to the stats. Most of what you see could have been from the initial start or a rewind or fast forward as well. If both of you didn't see anything, then you didn't see anything. Now you can ditch Reclock and gain back your audio bitstream. Maybe check a couple other titles so you are happy.

P.S. Try Wasapi, not Direct.

I always clear osd in madvr after going into fullscreen etc so i start from 0 dropped frames.

Do you mean to use Wasapi in Reclock or how ? or there is wasapi in mpc-hc?

Do you mean in mpc-hc : options -> playback -> output -> audio renderer : Direct Sound -> internal filters -> Audio renderer -> Device : Direct Sound Exclusive mode : check Allow bitstream : check ??

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 1st April 2018 at 02:03.
Old 1st April 2018, 10:59   #49988  |  Link
tyrindor

I think I figured out my problem where MPC-BE resizes all my windows after playback. My receiver has 2 identications, one for 4K and one for 480p. It is set to the 480p one by default, and won't let me delete it because it's "active". The 4K one is inactive and can be deleted... It seems my receiver was once correctly detected as 4K, but now detects as 480p. This is confirmed in NVIDIA drivers as it claims my native resolution is 720x480. I still can select 3840x2160 @ 60hz... but my windows constantly resizes to 480p sizes after MadVR playback. Screenshot of two entries: https://i.imgur.com/tRrdYSp.png

Receiver in question is a Denon X7200WA.

Any idea how to fix this? Seems like a HDMI handshaking issue, but I've already tried power cycling all the devices.

Last edited by tyrindor; 1st April 2018 at 11:49.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 12:01   #49989  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
I think I figured out my problem where MPC-BE resizes all my windows after playback. My receiver has 2 identications, one for 4K and one for 480p. It is set to the 480p one by default, and won't let me delete it because it's "active". The 4K one is inactive and can be deleted... It seems my receiver was once correctly detected as 4K, but now detects as 480p. This is confirmed in NVIDIA drivers as it claims my native resolution is 720x480. I still can select 3840x2160 @ 60hz... but my windows constantly resizes to 480p sizes after MadVR playback. Screenshot of two entries: https://i.imgur.com/tRrdYSp.png

Receiver in question is a Denon X7200WA.

Any idea how to fix this? Seems like a HDMI handshaking issue, but I've already tried power cycling all the devices.
I would assume you need find it in registry or edit EDID in windows
Old 1st April 2018, 12:09   #49990  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
I would assume you need find it in registry or edit EDID in windows
I figured out a way to force it to 3840x2160 using CRU, however Windows still resizes to 480p size after HDR playback.

Sigh, gonna have to just live with it and hope HDMI 2.1 isn't so damn fragile when it comes to handshaking.
Old 1st April 2018, 12:33   #49991  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Sounds to me like your receiver is kinda whacky if it reports a 480p mode as the native resolution in the first place. You might want to stroll through its option and figure out what causes that. On Windows it can sometimes help to delete the monitor configuration entirely (from Windows, not madVR).
Its easy to just blame it on HDMI, but HDMI is just a cable, there is two devices talking to each other over that - so look at those devices, not the cable.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 1st April 2018 at 12:36.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 12:58   #49992  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Sounds to me like your receiver is kinda whacky if it reports a 480p mode as the native resolution in the first place. You might want to stroll through its option and figure out what causes that. On Windows it can sometimes help to delete the monitor configuration entirely (from Windows, not madVR).
Its easy to just blame it on HDMI, but HDMI is just a cable, there is two devices talking to each other over that - so look at those devices, not the cable.
I bet is not the cable, cause i have same issue, after playing game or watching movie in HDR all open staff get resized and pushed to top left corner. I've read about and it's something between TV native resolution and windows programs native resolution if it makes sense.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:01   #49993  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
I figured out a way to force it to 3840x2160 using CRU, however Windows still resizes to 480p size after HDR playback.

Sigh, gonna have to just live with it and hope HDMI 2.1 isn't so damn fragile when it comes to handshaking.
Did u check this ? https://superuser.com/questions/2670...-turned-off-sw

read 7th post
Old 1st April 2018, 13:25   #49994  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
I bet is not the cable, cause i have same issue, after playing game or watching movie in HDR all open staff get resized and pushed to top left corner. I've read about and it's something between TV native resolution and windows programs native resolution if it makes sense.
Yea that's exactly what happens. It also screws up Kodi (using MadVR/MPC-BE as an external player). It happens mainly on 3D and 4K HDR content.

Quote:
I will give everything in there a try, but i've already tried the registry entries and I cannot use a DVI-HDMI adapter because I need lossless/Atmos/DTS-X. The persistent windows program running in the background might be my best bet.

Last edited by tyrindor; 1st April 2018 at 13:31.
Old 1st April 2018, 13:38   #49995  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, I know a few people on here also use KODI DS, anyone know whats happened to the KODI DS thread? "INVALID FORUM" - has it moved?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 13:57   #49996  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, I know a few people on here also use KODI DS, anyone know whats happened to the KODI DS thread? "INVALID FORUM" - has it moved?
Did you check the date today?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330410

K
PS - sorry for being off-topic, just helping mclingo out.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 1st April 2018 at 14:00.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 14:01   #49997  |  Link
mclingo

yes, however its after noon though and not really much of a joke is it?
Old 1st April 2018, 14:03   #49998  |  Link
mclingo

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-no-more

i'm guessing this is the "issue", I guess they are using this "joke" in order to take time to update something on their servers, cant see any reason to take a forum down for a day as a joke otherwise.
Old 1st April 2018, 14:28   #49999  |  Link
tyrindor

http://www.ninjacrab.com/persistent-windows/

I can confirm that this fixes my windows resizing issues after HDR playback. It's not a great solution though, it's an alpha program that was abandoned in 2015 and it must be ran 24/7. Surprisingly I could find no alternatives.

I tried everything else, and even manually editing EDID to force 4K at all times didn't fix it. My theory is that windows loses connection to the TV/Receiver completely for a split second while HDR is being disabled. When loss of HDMI handshake occurs windows briefly goes into 480p, which screws up all your window sizes and positions. Honestly, why windows still can't remember window sizes based on resolution is beyond me.
Old 1st April 2018, 14:28   #50000  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Yea that's exactly what happens. It also screws up Kodi (using MadVR/MPC-BE as an external player). It happens mainly on 3D and 4K HDR content.

I will give everything in there a try, but i've already tried the registry entries and I cannot use a DVI-HDMI adapter because I need lossless/Atmos/DTS-X. The persistent windows program running in the background might be my best bet.
Masybe remove everything in registry i mean like whole string restart pc and see what is there, or maybe look trough there if there isnt anywhere:

ActiveSize.cx =
ActiveSize.cy =

with your dodgy native 480p resolution and change it to 3180x2160

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling