Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd December 2014, 22:15   #27741  |  Link
DigitalLF

MadShi:

Hello! i really love MadVR it just gets better and better! but one thing is missing! a seekbar inside the picture area like in a 2.35:1 movie. Why i wonder is because i'm about to order a 2.40:1 screen!
Old 4th December 2014, 05:15   #27742  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
You just never seen NNEDI actually working Even with 16 neurons it's slower than Jinc8 AR. And 256 will rape even top GPUs.
OK NNEDI3 definitely isn't working. I tested with a 288p video by enabling/disabling frame quadrupling with all 4 options to 256 neurons, and rendering time is exactly the same.

For chroma upscaling, it is probably silently falling back to Jinc 3-taps AR since rendering times are the same.

Still... I'm pretty such there is a slight quality increase, unless it's a psychological effect.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 07:36.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 09:03   #27743  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
OK NNEDI3 definitely isn't working. I tested with a 288p video by enabling/disabling frame quadrupling with all 4 options to 256 neurons, and rendering time is exactly the same.

For chroma upscaling, it is probably silently falling back to Jinc 3-taps AR since rendering times are the same.

Still... I'm pretty such there is a slight quality increase, unless it's a psychological effect.
it's not used it is really really power demanding.

there has to be a reason why openCL doesn't work on your system.

a 7660m can use openCL that why I miss judge the situation and guess you where trying to use image double because the rendertimes didn't changed. there is simply no reason madVR wouldn't use it for chroma.

if you haven't tried it yet install new driver. and what OS are you using right now?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 02:53   #27744  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it's not used it is really really power demanding.

there has to be a reason why openCL doesn't work on your system.

a 7660m can use openCL that why I miss judge the situation and guess you where trying to use image double because the rendertimes didn't changed. there is simply no reason madVR wouldn't use it for chroma.

if you haven't tried it yet install new driver. and what OS are you using right now?
OpenCL is working. SVP is using it.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bits. Radeon HD 7660M.

As for drivers, I'm using LeeKM's modded driver v14.200. It's more stable and faster than any other driver I've tried. Unfortunately, as far as I know, none of LeeKM's more recent drivers support this graphic card. The latest Samsung-approved dual-graphics driver is very old with much lower performance, and although installing the latest driver directly from AMD works for my system, it doesn't work better than this version so I always end up reverting back to this one.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 07:36.
Old 5th December 2014, 04:05   #27745  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I just updated to the latest AMD drivers: 14.11.2 Beta (I'm surprised those are working out of the box on a dual-graphics system, but somehow it does)

NNEDI3 still doesn't work.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 07:34.
Old 5th December 2014, 04:36   #27746  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

With this latest driver, I still get tons of dropped frames on a 1080p TV with a rendering time of 7ms. However... only 1080p videos on 1080p display. 720p videos play fine with 15ms rendering time.

Old 5th December 2014, 04:44   #27747  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
With this latest driver, I still get tons of dropped frames on a 1080p TV with a rendering time of 7ms
please make a screen shoot with the madVR osd.

Last edited by huhn; 5th December 2014 at 04:53.
Old 5th December 2014, 05:07   #27748  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Furthermore, with this latest driver, 1080p .TP files don't play well. With the previous driver, they would play fine by closing SVP, but with this driver version, it lags even without SVP with madVR alone.
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2014, 05:20   #27749  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
please make a screen shoot with the madVR osd.
It's not dropping anymore for 1080p @ 15ms in full-screen mode although nothing changed. No clue what's going on. I'll update if/when the problem comes back.

In window mode, however, it dropped seriously with 13ms rendering time.
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2014, 05:52   #27750  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
It's not dropping anymore for 1080p @ 15ms in full-screen mode although nothing changed. No clue what's going on. I'll update if/when the problem comes back.

it will take sometime be for we can see the screen.

if it works fine in fullscreen exlusive mode and not in window mode there is a high change for a desktop composition miss match. this is an window 7 bug fixed in windows 8 and newer.

the screen can show this issue.
Old 5th December 2014, 05:56   #27751  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

I got the lag again in full-screen mode. The lag seems to come and go in full-screen, and always take effect in window mode.

Do you want the screenshot of the full screen?
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2014, 06:25   #27752  |  Link
huhn

no need, the stats are important not the image it self.

but if you use the attachments function of this forum an moderator has to look at them first, be for the rest of us can see them.

you can use an image hoster to avoid this.
Old 5th December 2014, 17:00   #27753  |  Link
x7007

Why it still 0.87.10 on the menu ? and it doesn't update to 87.11 ? I didn't know it's the new version till I actually download it.

It seems that it fixed the problem I had with Nvidia 970/980 with NNEDI3 , slow down, non stop dropped frames, presentation glitches.

Now it works perfectly with 87.11, 0-0 on everything.

Edit : it seem the problem is back, the problem begins after small flash of green screen and then everything becomes slow with 1-3 renderer Queue

Does anyone has issues with 970/980 with NNEDI3 ?

CAN anyone please confirm that NNEDI3 doesn't work properly with NVIDIA 970/980 GTX using 344.75 drivers ? Please

if the Nvidia 3DTV is enabled than there is SLOW DOWN after couple of seconds. There is green flash and subtitles arifacts black square or just messed up subtitles. renderer queue goes to 1 permatnaly instead 2-3, non stop dropped frames. Changing to Upscaling Jinc fix the problem instantly. With Nvidia 3DTV is disabled, there are no slow down, but there is a green flash every couple of seconds or when fast/back fowarding x number of times, and the more you do it eventually the video would freeze, the seconds doesn't move, but you can pause/play and move to any duration you want, but the movie won't play until Stop and Play. When restarting or Logging off windows 7, there is a little flash, like small tiny flash that doesn't happen before the problem with the NNEDI3. it's like something in the Nvidia Drivers or Madvr that messing something up, I just need confirmation about this, Games are running properly.

Last edited by x7007; 5th December 2014 at 18:34.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 20:46   #27754  |  Link
Xaurus

NNEDI3 works fine with my 970 on 344.75.
Old 5th December 2014, 20:53   #27755  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
NNEDI3 works fine with my 970 on 344.75.
Yes I've found the issue, I wrote it here

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=267
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 04:20   #27756  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Furthermore, with this latest driver, 1080p .TP files don't play well. With the previous driver, they would play fine by closing SVP, but with this driver version, it lags even without SVP with madVR alone.
a split is used in this screen this should be the case. because this only used for nvidia and intel GPU. maybe your intel IGPU is used for madVR.

Quote:

over 13 ms rendertimes and it works better in fullscreen mode.
if SVP is used it looks like it sometimes takes to many GPU power so madVR can't render the frames fast enough.

Quote:
I got the lag again in full-screen mode. The lag seems to come and go in full-screen, and always take effect in window mode.

Do you want the screenshot of the full screen?
the screen clearly shows that madVR didn't get the frame fast enough. if SVP is used it should be the problem here. rendertimes are really high for SVP usage too.
Old 6th December 2014, 04:30   #27757  |  Link
Xaurus

I need to call out to any experts on madvr/4:4:4 display etc.

I can use 4:4:4 with 23.976 refresh rate in PC mode on my Samsung TV, but this is without any motion enhancements. And to be frank, pure 23.976 doesn't look very smooth (especially in panning/moving scenes).
I am too annoyed by it to be able to keep it this way. Something must be done...

However, if I disable the PC mode, then I can get all the options in the menu and configure the motion stuff (also better blacks), but no longer 4:4:4 (which also makes fonts on the desktop look strange).
According to people here this seems to basically make madvr "useless", when it is not displaying on a 4:4:4 display.

I would love some more info on what exactly goes on when you are using madvr on a non-4:4:4 display.

So if I were to remove madvr - what should be used instead? What are the options and are all options really crappy?

Thanks.

edit: I moved from a Sony TV which seems to have had the motion stuff enabled for PC mode. I did not expect this dilemma when moving to Samsung.

Last edited by Xaurus; 6th December 2014 at 04:32.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 05:08   #27758  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quick question. If I want to enable/disable madVR programmatically, I'm seeing this key in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MPC-HC\MPC-HC\Settings\DSVidRen
System Default has a value of 0 while madVR has a value of 12. Is this always the case, or could activating madVR require a value different than 12 for some users?

Old 6th December 2014, 05:10   #27759  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
a split is used in this screen this should be the case. because this only used for nvidia and intel GPU. maybe your intel IGPU is used for madVR.
MPC-HC and SVP are definitely using the Radeon.

Is there a way to know which graphic card madVR is using, and whether it is using OpenCL?

I just ran a test: running MPC-HC in Performance and Economy mode without SVP.

In High Performance mode, rendering time is 14.7ms. In Economy mode, the same video renders in 9.6ms. It seems to further silently drop settings when running on the Intel.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 07:35.
Old 6th December 2014, 05:24   #27760  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
I need to call out to any experts on madvr/4:4:4 display etc.

I can use 4:4:4 with 23.976 refresh rate in PC mode on my Samsung TV, but this is without any motion enhancements. And to be frank, pure 23.976 doesn't look very smooth (especially in panning/moving scenes).
I am too annoyed by it to be able to keep it this way. Something must be done...

However, if I disable the PC mode, then I can get all the options in the menu and configure the motion stuff (also better blacks), but no longer 4:4:4 (which also makes fonts on the desktop look strange).
According to people here this seems to basically make madvr "useless", when it is not displaying on a 4:4:4 display.

I would love some more info on what exactly goes on when you are using madvr on a non-4:4:4 display.

So if I were to remove madvr - what should be used instead? What are the options and are all options really crappy?

Thanks.

edit: I moved from a Sony TV which seems to have had the motion stuff enabled for PC mode. I did not expect this dilemma when moving to Samsung.
you are pretty lucky that pc mode at 23p works. it's pretty normal that samsung only supports pc mode at 60 HZ.

madVR does better scaling too and chroma scaling has to be done when you use a PC as source.
the chroma scaler lost a lot of it benefits it's still not useless.

if you get "better black" than I guess your RGB level setup is wrong.

when your TV doesn't support 4:4:4 or you can't use it. it will be scaled from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 or lower and than again 4:4:4. this is not optimal at all.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling