Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 27th November 2006, 07:27   #1  |  Link
askids

Custom DVD backup

Hi,

I had some questions on making custom DVD backup. I used DVD rebuilder to convert DVD9 to DVD5 with CCE trial edition. Everything went on fine. I had selected lose 25% on extras. After the conversion was completed, I noticed that
a)the quality of extras was lost significantly
b)the menu file size was also not changed.

I also found out about menu shrink and tried it. It reduced the menu file size from 149MB to 7 MB. Now I want to do the following. But dont know how and would appreciate your input.

1) I want to utilize the 142 MB gained from reducing the menu file and improve the quality of extras by allowing the extras to go to new file size (278 MB to 420 MB). I cannot go beyond that because the DVD size would go beyong the regular DVD-R.
2) The extras in the original DVD is 30 minute of music videos (NTSC - 6 ch AC3) and can be accessed by the menu screen. I still want to have that feature.
3) I do not want to re-encode the main movie once again as it will take me another 5 hours. I am also very satisfied with the current output from DVD-RB/CCE.

Since I am a newbee, I have been following guides available in Doom9 But I am unable to get hold off one to meet my custom requirements and need input from the experts.

Please let me know how will I be able to do this ?

Thanks
askids
askids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 10:51   #2  |  Link
manono

Hello, and welcome to the forum,

I'm not about to write a guide for you, but the principle is fairly simple:

Demux the extras from the original retail DVD using PGCDemux. Reencode them so that they fill up the available space. Remux/author the reencoded extras using Muxman. Open the DVD-Rebuilder created DVD in VobBlanker and replace the low quality extras with your new higher quality extras using the "Replace" button. "Process". Test in a software DVD player. The menu will work as before. The main movie won't have been reencoded, and will be the same as before. If everything checks out, burn to DVDR.

Last edited by manono; 27th November 2006 at 10:54.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 10:38   #3  |  Link
askids

thanks manono! I tried doing this and follow the process as explained by you. But I think somewhere I messed up. Now within the extras indexing is lost.

I am attaching the IFOEDIT screenshots
original extras IFO
[img=http://maxupload.com/thumb/039D9468.jpg]

DVD-RB extras IFO
[img=http://maxupload.com/thumb/CADB5974.jpg]

Newly rebuilt IFO with muxman
[img=http://maxupload.com/thumb/2207B9D4.jpg]

Final IFO from VobBlank
[img=http://maxupload.com/thumb/A94DBED9]

There were 6 cells in the extra untill I rebuilt it using muxman. Even though the final IFO shows 6 cells, the start and end time are wrong. How do I correct this ?

Thanks
askids

Last edited by askids; 28th November 2006 at 10:41.
Old 28th November 2006, 11:15   #4  |  Link
manono

There were 6 cells in the extra untill I rebuilt it using muxman.

Did you load the Celltimes.txt into Muxman (File->Import Chapter)?

Nothing in IFOEdit means anything to me. Sorry.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 13:04   #5  |  Link
askids

my bad. I had missed this.

Now everything is working fine. Thank you manono!!