Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 13th October 2009, 05:44   #1  |  Link
mk2x1

De-muxed video length is wrong

I’ve used DVD Author (TMPGEnc) to create an .mpg file from a DVD structure. The run time of the movie is 2hr 1min. When I de-mux the file to get elementary streams the .ac3 audio is 2:01 but the video is 1:37. All the video is present but when I play the video it runs fast. I’ve searched the posts and others have encountered this problem before and the suggested solutions are to try PgcDemux, TMPGEnc, DVDlab, etc. which I’ve tried with no success. Even if I re-write the GOP timecode with DVDlab, the .m2v file is 1:37 and runs fast. I am trying to get to elementary stream so that I can edit with Cuttermaran so as to avoid re-encoding. Any suggestions on how to get the .m2v file with the correct time?
mk2x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 06:05   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

PGCDemux.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 07:03   #3  |  Link
setarip_old

@mk2x1

Hi

1) What is the title and region number of the original DVD?

2) What software and procedures did you use to rip the DVD?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 10:54   #4  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2x1 View Post
Any suggestions on how to get the .m2v file with the correct time?
It already has the correct length. Prove it to yourself by opening it in GSpot and checking the length it shows.

If you just want to cut something like the end credits to bring it down to DVD5 size, VobBlanker can do that without you demuxing/remuxing.

Last edited by manono; 13th October 2009 at 10:56.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 04:03   #5  |  Link
mk2x1

Inspector.Gadget : PGCDemux creates a .m2v with the wrong reported length too.

setarip_old: The title is "Against All Odds". Region is 1. Ripped with DvDdecriptor in both File and IFO modes. Same result. When in File mode I use DVD Author to create .mpg file in preparation for demuxing. In IFO mode I've tried De-muxing streams but alway get the same results. The audio is correct at 2:01 but the video is 1:37.

manono: Yes, the number of frames and the frame rate tell me that the actual length is correct. Gspot does confirm this. But other data embedded in the video stream is telling whatever player or editor that I use on the stream to "play" all of the frames in 1:37 time which results in a faster playback. I'm want to input streams to Cuttermaran so that I can do frame accurate cuts and inserts.
Old 14th October 2009, 04:22   #6  |  Link
manono

Players always show the wrong length for an M2V. However, the players I use do play them at the correct speed. I use MPC-HC. Maybe try a different (better) player.

I don't use Cuttermaran, but have you tried using the M2V as-is for what you want to do? Have you tried muxing the M2V into MPG format using ImagoMPEG-Muxer? Have you tried making an MPG from the source VOBs using VOB2MPG? They'll both have the audio in them, though, but will both show the length correctly when played..
Old 15th October 2009, 04:38   #7  |  Link
mk2x1

@manono

What I want to do is to use Cuttermaran to edit various parts of the movie without re-encoding. Thats what Cuttermaran is designed to do. The problem is that if the video and the audio are not the same length and do not run at the same speed in the editor, then the video and audio will not be cut at the same place and the end result of muxing the edited streams back together will be the wrong audio for a given cut of video. I have used Cuttermaran many many times and it works well. The problem I am having now appears to be a result of some peculiarity in the way the movie was authored in the first place. The question that I am trying to answer, is there a way to correct the length and run time of the video stream without re-encoding. Or is there a way to de-mux that works around the timing errors. Every de-muxer that I've tried gives me the same wrong video timing.
Old 15th October 2009, 05:01   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

@mk2x1

If the created multiplexed MPEG-2 (NOT the separate video and audio streams) plays back properly, try using
"MPEG2CUT2.EXE" (NOT the older "MPEG2CUT.EXE") for your cutting/editing...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 05:59   #9  |  Link
mk2x1

The multiplexed mpg files plays correctly in time. But I believe that MPEG2CUT2 will only cut at a GOP. I would like to be able to cut at any frame.
Old 15th October 2009, 06:00   #10  |  Link
manono

Yeah, I don't get it either. Mux the audio and video and then the cuts are guaranteed to be at the proper location. If for some reason you don't want the audio, demux afterwards and get rid of it. It seems to me you're trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Don't tell me Cuttermaran accepts only elementary streams as input?

Is there anyone here that uses Cuttermaran and can set mk2x1 straight?
Old 15th October 2009, 08:07   #11  |  Link
Ghitulescu

If you have only 1 audio and no subtitles (1 video ES + 1 audio ES) multiplexed in a MPEG-2 file, you can use almost any commercial cutter, I think womble mpeg VCR or a similar suite has a 30 days trial version online.

Has the multiplexed file a wrong duration?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote