Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2008, 00:25   #261  |  Link
crypto
@DVBPortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
Wow, that's a big increase! Same encoder settings I assume?
You mean between the test runs (NV vs. non-NV)? Sure.
Between the passes? No. I was using my normal "production" batches for ATV (Main Profile 5 MB/s), which are optimized on multi pass. There is even some heavy preprocessing (LFS) on pass #2. Without it would be a lot faster. I think, I redo the tests with some simpler scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Exactly! High-quality deinterlacer for free along with PAFF decoding are the most important for me however I'm ATI user
Exactly the point.
I would also add: high boost on fast first passes and on single pass encodes at high fps (HD realtime encoding)

All in all a big win. Thanks Don.
Old 20th September 2008, 00:42   #262  |  Link

I'm going to try to fix multi-instance this weekend. It probably won't support interleaved access, but at least the GUIs will be able to do two-pass (hopefully) without choking to death.
Old 20th September 2008, 03:57   #263  |  Link
ooferomen

is it too much work to implement mpeg2/vc1 decoding? nvidia's vp3 has the same level of decoding for mpeg2/vc1 as vp2 has for h264. getting that purevideo deinterlacing for mpeg2 1080i would be cool
Old 20th September 2008, 04:11   #264  |  Link

Please read existing threads thoroughly.
Old 20th September 2008, 08:57   #265  |  Link
crypto
@DVBPortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I'm going to try to fix multi-instance this weekend. It probably won't support interleaved access, but at least the GUIs will be able to do two-pass (hopefully) without choking to death.
I hope this is not too complicated. This is clearly an issue of the GUI and not of dgavcdecodenv. Multipasses are clearly sequentially serialized. There is no need to overlap them.

I know, that there is currently no place for additional features, but would it be possible to access the scaler via CUDA maybe in a similar way like the deinterlacer.
Old 20th September 2008, 12:38   #266  |  Link
lucassp

Which chips support full hardware VC-1 decoding?
Which chips have VP3? I didn't hear anything about it.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:00   #267  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
I hope this is not too complicated. This is clearly an issue of the GUI and not of dgavcdecodenv. Multipasses are clearly sequentially serialized. There is no need to overlap them.

I know, that there is currently no place for additional features, but would it be possible to access the scaler via CUDA maybe in a similar way like the deinterlacer.
issue of the gui?
so if you cant to a stackorizontal or stackvertical with 2 avc sources is still an "issue of the GUI"?
i dont think so.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:25   #268  |  Link

Hey Sharktooth,

Why does MeGUI have to open the script twice? Why can't you open the script once and then just start requesting at frame 0 again for the encode phase?

And if preview is disabled, why do you open the script for it anyway?

I found that you can do multipass DivX in VirtualDub because it opens the filter once only and then starts requesting again at frame 0 for the second pass.

HCEnc also opens the script twice. It makes no sense to me, even for other reasons such as memory efficiency.

Last edited by Guest; 20th September 2008 at 15:28.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:20   #269  |  Link
pwolfamv

Quote:
Do not put it in your Avisynth plugins directory. Do not try to use it with any GUI.
too late... It works though, no issues :P simple script resizing down to 640x360 is giving me +10fps while encoding in vdub using PicVideo mjpeg codec.

Only thing worth mentioning would be that seeking is still slow.

i'm not really into h264 encoding so this is the best way for me test something, heh.
Old 21st September 2008, 21:20   #270  |  Link
Pookie

I've been feeding it AVCHD camcorder files from various sources and the vast majority have worked flawlessly. The two I'm posting seem to seize the transcoding 4-6 frames short of completion when running them through x264 or VirtualDub

17MB
http://www.mediafire.com/?jamzuytnvso

8MB
http://www.mediafire.com/?tg1pysyytfw
Old 21st September 2008, 23:45   #271  |  Link

Thanks, Pookie, I'll have a look at it. I can always rely on you for good trouble reports giving me everything I need to duplicate it without me having to ask!

On another front... Woo hoo! I have multi instance working. And it supports interleaving from different processes, too, not just serialized (most of the GUIs are serial, however, and I can't vouch for the performance if you do interleaved access). I tested it in 2-pass HCEnc, which went mammary glands up before (gotta watch out for rule 4, doncha know). New package coming tonight or tomorrow then.

What I did was move all CUDA code and variables into the filter instance DGAVCDecoder object. Then each new filter instance starts up an entire complete new CUDA instance. CUDA already manages context switching between threads. I can open a script in two instances of VirtualDub and step and seek independently without them interfering with each other. I was shocked to see CUDA managing that without me having to explicitly push/pop contexts, but hey, no complaints from me.

I also did it for DGAVCIndexNV, so that you can open multiple DGAVCIndexNV instances at once if you so desire, although I don't see much reason for that.

Last edited by Guest; 22nd September 2008 at 00:05.
Old 21st September 2008, 23:49   #272  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Thanks, Pookie, I'll have a look at it. I can always rely on you for good trouble reports giving me everything I need to duplicate it without me having to ask!

On another front... Woo hoo! I have multi instance working. And it supports interleaving from different procees, too, not just serialized (most of the GUIs are serial, however, and I can't vouch for the performance if you do interleaved access). I tested it in 2-pass HCEnc, which went mammary glands up before (gotta watch out for rule 4, doncha know). New package with extended expiration tonight or tomorrow then.
Excellent work.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:13   #273  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Can somebody check if .avs with hardware decoding work in Sony Vegas or adobe premiere
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:15   #274  |  Link

You might want to wait for the new version as I don't know if those apps open the script more than once. With the new version, I don't see why there would be any problem, as long as they can already open AVS scripts.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:22   #275  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

now I am really thinking about selling my just bought 4850. Hardware decoding AVCHD footage via avs in premiere or vegas = priceless ATI WEAK UP!!!!
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:42   #276  |  Link
Zwitterion

Can you tell CUDA which field to keep when Deinterlacing? Then, with two instances of DGAVCDecodeNV, one could hack together a CUDA bobber.

Code:
a=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00001_NV.dga", deinterlace=true, order=1)
b=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00001_NV.dga", deinterlace=true, order=0)

Interleave(a,b)
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:52   #277  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwitterion View Post
Can you tell CUDA which field to keep when Deinterlacing? Then, with two instances of DGAVCDecodeNV, one could hack together a CUDA bobber.

Code:
a=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00001_NV.dga", deinterlace=true, order=1)
b=DGAVCDecodeNV_AVCSource("00001_NV.dga", deinterlace=true, order=0)

Interleave(a,b)
Brilliant! Yes, in fact you can. I'll see if it works and, if so, add the parameter.
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:52   #278  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Hey Sharktooth,

Why does MeGUI have to open the script twice? Why can't you open the script once and then just start requesting at frame 0 again for the encode phase?

And if preview is disabled, why do you open the script for it anyway?

I found that you can do multipass DivX in VirtualDub because it opens the filter once only and then starts requesting again at frame 0 for the second pass.

HCEnc also opens the script twice. It makes no sense to me, even for other reasons such as memory efficiency.
there are multiple reasons. changing that behaviour would mean changing a lot of code and using a single instance would also mean you cant re-use the avs for other tasks.
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:19   #279  |  Link

Quote:
Brilliant! Yes, in fact you can. I'll see if it works and, if so, add the parameter.
Both instances returned the same field, so I wrote to Nvidia about it. It may be a CUDA bug.
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:20   #280  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
there are multiple reasons.
Your not telling us what the reasons are suggests that you don't know what they are.

Quote:
using a single instance would also mean you cant re-use the avs for other tasks.
That doesn't sound right. Why can't you re-use the AVS just as you can load the same script multiple times in VirtualDub?

Anyway, it's a moot point as I have multi-instance working, but I was curious about that design decision.

Last edited by Guest; 22nd September 2008 at 01:23.
Closed Thread