Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2008, 22:42   #381  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummus View Post
Sir, I load a DVD Rip file to convert into DVD file. But AVStoDVD limits the file to 4GB instead of 4.7GB and converts around 80% of the video. How to do complete convertion?
What do you mean with "DVD Rip" file?

Could you post here or send by email the log file generated by AVStoDVD?

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:22   #382  |  Link
ummus

DVD Rip file means .AVI file (Full video file)
ummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:24   #383  |  Link
rendez2k

Something you've created yourself or downloaded? Two things spring to mind. Is the file damaged and the 4gb limit sounds like you're drives possibly formatted as FAT32?
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:34   #384  |  Link
ummus

The AVI files are downloaded and my drives are formatted as FAT 32.
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:45   #385  |  Link
rendez2k

FAT32 only allows files 4gb in size max. AVStoDVD will be converting the avi to a larger file! You need to use an NTFS formatted drive.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:06   #386  |  Link
ummus

Thank you for your kind information and help.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:25   #387  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

If your file system is FAT32, you have another possiblity: look at AVStoDVD toolbar and click on 'DVD Size'/'Custom Size'. Type "3900". Start your project.

I hope the file you have downloaded is not breaking forum rule n° 6...

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum

Last edited by MrC; 22nd August 2008 at 13:28.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:48   #388  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

AVStoDVD release 2.1.0 available to download

Change log (since release 2.0.0):

- Added simple DVD Menu editing and building (static and motion customizable thumbnails)
- Added multiple file selection in 'Add' Common Dialog window
- Added autoselect Audio and Subs files if they have same name as Video
- Added 'HCenc Advanced Configuration' option (AQ, Lumgain, Matrix, Profile) in 'Title Edit'/'Video'
- Added an option to quickly lock the Video Encoding Profiles
- Added 'Custom DVD Size' storing
- Added main AVStoDVD form position storing upon exit
- Added 'Restore default Settings' in main form menu
- Improved bitrate calculation routine
- Improved use of BatchMux (many thanks to Sir Didymus for his help)
- Improved use of API BrowseForFolder
- Improved log activity
- Removed internal check on DVD drive status before burning (ImgBurn does the stuff by itself)
- ImgBurn updated to 2.4.2.0
- MediaInfo updated to 0.7.7.4
- BatchMux updated to 1.1

*Note for alpha debugger*
There are no major changes since last 2.1.0 Alpha. Only bugs fixing.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:14   #389  |  Link
rendez2k

Great!! I'm away till Monday but I'll be testing when I get back
Old 22nd August 2008, 22:16   #390  |  Link
ricardo.santos

Hi MrC

Tested it twice with 3 and 4 videos, static and motion customizable thumbnails working fine here

Good work!
ricardo.santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 11:55   #391  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k
Sir Didymus: the first test failed again, but changing that line and re-running through muxman was a success - all is working!
Just want to clarify that the definitive bugfix for the problem you have reported has been implemented in the release 1.2 of BatchMux.exe. I admit that the related statement in the short changelog (BatchMux authoring thread) is someway cryptical on the matter...

I kindly ask Mrc, for the next releases of AVStoDVD, to remove the "temporary fix" consisting in the long timeout for buttons selection end time...

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC

>> Originally Posted by Sir Didymus
>> But there are also other good reasons (both of theoric and of very practical nature) for asking it...
>> Maybe I will give some further comment on the matter in the future...

Please, go ahead. You know I appreciate a lot your opinion and suggestions. And not only as BatchMux developer...

Bye
Well thanks for your kind words! So, after some time spent on the development of BatchMux 1.2, let me make some further comment on the point of the A/R of the menues...

It seems to me that one of the "best practice rules of good DVD authoring" should be discussed here:
Code:
never never never author a DVD if you know in advance it will fail to play on some standalones...
The point is not about the obsolescence of the 4:3 TV sets. We agree on this. Of course we should also state that nowadays movies are shot in a large variety of different A/R - so, in any case, the anamorphic format with 16:9 A/R is NOT the reference format; in addition the amount of available assets or new TV movies that are continuing to be shot only in 4:3 format is still huge...

The point is that the 4:3 A/R is THE standard for the TV sets: both 4:3 TV and 16:9 need nothing additional to display 4:3 movies. These movies are always displayed in Normal mode, without scaling or cropping the pictures in any way.

On the contrary, 16:9 movies can be showed properly on a ws TV, but there is the need of having some additional information for the standard televisions, since a 4:3 TV requires either letterboxing the picture or cropping and enlarging it horizontally (P/S).

Let me use an analogy to describe the problem from a different perspective. The standard for the transmission of the TV signal is still keeping separate the luminance and the chroma of the picture, in such a way that the B/W TV sets (that doesn't exist any more) are in any case enabled to properly display color pictures by ignoring the chroma information. Here the fact that B/W TV are totally obsolete is a matter of fact, but if you want to broadcast a TV signal, you have to comply with the standard, and prepare your TV signal in order for it to be properly seen on a B/W TV...

Let's go back to AVStoDVD.

Please consider that 4:3 menus will look not at all bad on ws TV. Really, if you are skeptical on the matter, you may easily make some tests by yourself: they look perfectly OK. If you think you need to keep limited to 1 the number of groups of buttons in the the AVStoDVD menu pages, this is the choice to take. It has the additional advantage that all of the available 36 buttons can be used in each menu page - hem... even thought some human factor experts will tell you that authoring a DVD menu with more than 7/9 buttons per page is another horrible practice...

Authoring a DVD with 16:9 menues having just 1 group of buttons in the menu pages is not an option, since it breaks the above "good authoring" rule. Look at the following nightmare scenario: I prepare a nice DVD with AVStoDVD, I watch the movie on my PC, then I quickly check everything is OK on my standalone. After these positive double checks, I bring the DVD (relaxed and happy) to the house of my girlfriend with the idea of having a nice evening together. And the menu is not working on her standalone... That's very bad, isn't it? She will tell me that I did it by purpose, I have no way to start the movie with other buttons on the remote controller, and the evening may easily end in a disaster...

Authoring the DVD with 16:9 menues and 2 groups of buttons in the menu pages is the way most commercial DVD are authored. Normally the two supported A/R are widescreen and automatic letterbox. As alternative, the DVD may be prepared supporting widescreen and automatic P/S. The complexity (and the number) of the assets to prepare is doubled respect to the 4:3 use case, but the overall benefits (quality and guarantee that all standalone will properly display the menu) make this option the most popular. 18 buttons per page are available for each menu page.

Authoring the DVD with 16:9 menues and 3 groups of buttons in the most complete way of authoring a DVD menu. Here the display on widescreen TV set is guaranteed, and the possibility of looking at the menu with letterboxed or P/S A/R is left as an option to the users, that normally have the possibility to set their preference in the setup of their standalones. The complexity (and the number) of the assets to prepare is the maximum; also the number of buttons per page of the menus is limited to 12, so this option (which is in any case not rare to find on commercial DVDs) is not the most popular on the market.

Of course, the best of the best would be that the users of AVStoDVD were enabled to choose among one of the above possibilities; that would be really a distinctive feature, but it would most probably imply some significant complications in the GUI and the programming of your excellent application...

Well, sorry for my long comments... I just wanted to state with some detail my point of view...

Again, please accept my compliments for the development of AVStoDVD, and feel free to ignore (in part or in total) all of the above considerations... :-(

Cheers,
SD

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 26th August 2008 at 13:24. Reason: Spelling...
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 13:48   #392  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
I kindly ask Mrc, for the next releases of AVStoDVD, to remove the "temporary fix" consisting in the long timeout for buttons selection end time...
Will do.

About menus.

Right now AVStoDVD can only produce 16:9 A/R menus and they includes 2 buttons groups: WS and Letterbox, the first for 16:9 TV and the latter for 4:3 TV. So there should not be any compatibility risk. I did not include PanScan (and I do not plan to include it) because I do not like cropping background, and maybe thumbnails. Btw compatibility with any TV is fulfilled and if a guy wants to delight his (low- or hi-tech) girlfriend with a movie encoded with AVStoDVD, he (they) should be pleased enough.

I fully agree with the purpose to follow standards. And I agree that having the possibility to create a 4:3 A/R menu can be useful, mainly when the DVD content is encoded as 4:3 A/R.
That's means I will add 4:3 A/R menus to AVStoDVD, but not ASAP, because it implies a deep revision of DVD Menu Editor form.

Stay tuned. I hope to continue developing step by step AVStoDVD with suggestions and feat request of you all. Unitl high definition will put an end to it.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 26th August 2008, 15:29   #393  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC
...Right now AVStoDVD can only produce 16:9 A/R menus and they includes 2 buttons groups: WS and Letterbox, the first for 16:9 TV and the latter for 4:3 TV....
Great! I was not aware about this!
I worked too much on BatchMux in the last weeks: in the alpha release of AVStoDVD I tested just one group of buttons was present!

Quote:
...That's means I will add 4:3 A/R menus to AVStoDVD, but not ASAP, because it implies a deep revision of DVD Menu Editor form...
Excellent! No pressure from my side...

Quote:
Stay tuned. I hope to continue developing step by step AVStoDVD with suggestions and feat request of you all. Unitl high definition will put an end to it.

Bye
OK! Let see... It will take some time, IMHO, for hi def to become the mainstream...
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 01:33   #394  |  Link
brianhj

AVStoDVD: Path/File access error

I load my avi and change all my settings but when I hit start it gives me the "progress status window but immediately says "Process aborted!" and i hit close to return to the main window. In the log window at the bottom it says "Process aborted. Error code: 75 - Path/File access error"

It does this with any file. What path or file is it having trouble accessing???
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 01:46   #395  |  Link
gizzin

mine wont retain the settings properly, and it encodes with quenc 1pass instead of hc 2pass.
gizzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 07:57   #396  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I load my avi and change all my settings but when I hit start it gives me the "progress status window but immediately says "Process aborted!" and i hit close to return to the main window. In the log window at the bottom it says "Process aborted. Error code: 75 - Path/File access error"

It does this with any file. What path or file is it having trouble accessing???
Hi brianhj and welcome.

Some troubleshooting ideas:

1. Click on 'Settings'/'System'/'Software Info'. Is there anything red?
2. Do 'Source Titles' or 'Output Folder' have non-standard chars?
3. Does 'Preview Output' works?
4. If you kept the log file generated by AVStoDVD, please send it to me by email or PM.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 27th August 2008, 07:59   #397  |  Link
rendez2k

Just a quick note - my menu issue on my Panasonic issue isn't fixed in the final version.
Old 27th August 2008, 08:07   #398  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzin View Post
mine wont retain the settings properly, and it encodes with quenc 1pass instead of hc 2pass.
Take a look at following posts and let me know if they solve your issue:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...33#post1161133

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...95#post1156495

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 27th August 2008, 08:10   #399  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Just a quick note - my menu issue on my Panasonic issue isn't fixed in the final version.
That was my fear. I will move ASAP to BatchMux 1.2 and try to send you a patch. Thanks for report.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
Old 27th August 2008, 10:14   #400  |  Link
PatchWorKs

Legality issues

As already posted in the SF-project Tracker, distributing ImgBurn (that is free but not open source) together with GPL-licensed code violates the license itself.

So I strongly suggest you (and non only you...) to switch from ImgBurn to an open source compatible burning tool:

- http://freshmeat.net/projects/cdrecord/
- http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrdao/

I'm sure you can grab some inspirations from:

- http://cdrtfe.sourceforge.net/
- http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

Hope that helps !!!

nota: sei italiano ?

Official git: https://www.forart.it/HyMPS/

Last edited by PatchWorKs; 27th August 2008 at 10:32.
PatchWorKs is offline   Reply With Quote