Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2004, 17:55   #1  |  Link
aketon
h.264 fan

x264 development

What is going on with x264? I haven't heard any news about it lately! Are we going to see any beta version with 2-pass code soon???
Old 15th August 2004, 18:52   #2  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Since Fenrir left the development, the project was moved to Videolan.org, and unfortunately very few has been changed since then. As far as i know there were bugfixes in the ME, and it got a basic cbr rate-control, but that's all.
Old 15th August 2004, 20:59   #3  |  Link
BoNz1

Someone on the mailing list said that they were working on a 2pass rate control. I don't know when or if we will see it though. There was also a simple scene change detection which was also added.
Old 18th August 2004, 22:17   #4  |  Link
bond

BoNz1, whos working on it?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 19th August 2004, 00:31   #5  |  Link
virus
Senior n00b

IIRC Nic, after providing a patch to add AVS input, talked about adding a 2-pass rate control a couple of months ago. Has this code never been completed/commited?

And why they don't simply borrow such code from XviD (including the keyframe insertion algorithm), given that both projects are GPL'ed?
Old 19th August 2004, 22:16   #6  |  Link
Joe Fenton

That's like borrowing the wings from a Lear jet for an F-15. They're both jets and they're both wings, but they're nothing alike other than that. They just don't fit structurally.
Old 19th August 2004, 22:39   #7  |  Link
aketon
h.264 fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fenton
That's like borrowing the wings from a Lear jet for an F-15. They're both jets and they're both wings, but they're nothing alike other than that. They just don't fit structurally.
But if you look carefully the wings of a Lear jet, you can have an idea about how to make wings for an F-15!!! Right? Especially the keyframe insertion algorithm from Xvid can be obtained in any codec, since the only thing it does is to show to the codec where to put a keyframe! It has nothing to do with the very internals of the codec! (at least, I believe so)!!!

Sorry for my bad english!!!

BYE!!!
Old 19th August 2004, 23:45   #8  |  Link
virus
Senior n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fenton
Basically, I agree with aketon on that. The keyframe insertion algorithm should be almost unrelated to the type of compression you're using. Maybe your statement holds better for the 2-pass RC, since H.264 allows more ways to compress MBs in a frame (and thus more ways to modify their size in the 2nd pass). But still XviD RC will be a very good starting point... you can tweak it for optimality later.
Even a sub-optimal algorithm is better than nothing

Last edited by virus; 19th August 2004 at 23:47.
Old 1st September 2004, 22:17   #9  |  Link
snacky

x264 encoding is now supported in the latest CVS of mencoder. Build (and maybe install) the x264 library, and currently it'll require a patch posted here: http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplaye...er/028856.html

This patch will probably be included in CVS in a day or two.

Since the previous post to this thread, a lot has gone on in x264. It now supports ratecontrol and 2pass encoding. If you want to see something really impressive, try it on animation source material. You can get good-looking, non-blocky results with incredibly low bitrates.
Old 2nd September 2004, 17:55   #10  |  Link
bond

cool stuff, may i ask who is currently working on x264? if more than one person, maybe it would be good to join forces and create one big project, which might become what xvid is now: the opensource codec, which kicks the commercial implementations asses

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 2nd September 2004, 20:35   #11  |  Link
snacky

Laurent Aimar (fenrir) is the most active committer, or perhaps even the only committer - I'm not completely sure.

My own impression is that x264 has attracted very few additional developers over its lifetime. This is unfortunate. I heard that last year, fenrir was talking about adding an h.264 encoder to ffmpeg. IMO this would have been the best possible outcome, because it would have helped attract a lot more attention from ffmpeg developers and perhaps mplayer developers. But obviously nothing ever came of this.

x264 is by far the most active and most useful open source encoder. Yet it is really not that active after all, and there are some important features that have yet to be implemented. There are only a handful of highly competent codec coders in the open source world, and it's a pity there aren't more of them interested in h.264.
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:39   #12  |  Link
BoNz1

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
cool stuff, may i ask who is currently working on x264? if more than one person, maybe it would be good to join forces and create one big project, which might become what xvid is now: the opensource codec, which kicks the commercial implementations asses
Currently, fenrir is the maintainer. But due to his employment at ateme he isn't actively working on his own code for x264. A guy by the name of Loren Merrit sent to the list the 2pass rate control and mru sent the 1 pass rate control. So there is some interest. The 2 pass rate control borrows a lot of code from ffmpeg.
Old 19th September 2004, 00:05   #13  |  Link
Bogalvator

How can I build Mencoder with x264 encoding support?

./configure --with-x264libdir="c:/x264" --with-x264incdir="c:/x264"

is not working.
Old 19th September 2004, 01:06   #14  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bogalvator
How can I build Mencoder with x264 encoding support?
  • Try the more general --with-extra{inc,lib}dir instead of --with-x264{inc,lib}dir
  • Try not using Windows

Last edited by akupenguin; 19th September 2004 at 01:23.
Old 19th September 2004, 08:59   #15  |  Link
snacky

"It's not working" is not usually a good way to get useful replies. What exactly isn't working, and why?

Latest CVS should do the sensible thing with --with-x264incdir, whereas a week or so ago it didn't actually use the include while compiling. But in general I agree with akupenguin's remark. ALL "--with-XXXXincdir" options misbehave in this way now, except for x264!

Also, in case anyone's curious, the main new feature in the next x264 revision will be subpel quality refinement options. This has a significant effect on bitrate (as well as speed!).
Old 19th September 2004, 12:08   #16  |  Link
Bogalvator

Sorry, I should have been more exact. I was using the MPlayer CVS snapshot for 18/9/04, and while configuring it just said "Checking for x264 ... no", so that's what I meant.

I tried with "--with-extra***" as well but no joy. I shall see if I have any success with Linux.

Thanks for your help.
Old 19th September 2004, 16:56   #17  |  Link
KpeX

@Bogalvator

Under linux, I simply compiled x264, then copied x264.h to /usr/local/include, and libx264.a to /usr/local/lib, and mplayer detected the library without any additional configuration arguments. Perhaps this will work under cygwin by copying these files to the appropriate directories.
Old 19th September 2004, 20:25   #18  |  Link
snacky

I should also add that mencoder is ONLY keeping compatibility with current revisions of x264, without even an attempt to keep backwards compatibility. This is because, IMO, it'd be a waste of time to keep backwards compatibility with an encoder that's not mature and hasn't even had an official "release" version. At the time of my writing, that means you must have revision 46 or mplayer simply won't compile (assuming you're using CVS mplayer). When the next x264 revision comes out, CVS mencoder will be synched to it, instead.
Old 20th September 2004, 16:57   #19  |  Link
easyfab

Has anyone test the x264 vfw version (based on core 8)?
Does a new version include the 2 pass ?
Old 3rd October 2004, 13:17   #20  |  Link
Jerry_Sm@rt

Quote:
Originally posted by easyfab
Has anyone test the x264 vfw version (based on core 8)?
Does a new version include the 2 pass ?
Where can I get x264 vfw version (based on core 8)?
I've been searching for some time,only get a 2004.05.19 build (core 7)
Closed Thread