Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th April 2021, 01:19   #1  |  Link
johnmeyer

Horizontal noise bars - what are they called, and how to remove?

I have been asked to fix this video, but have not yet received the DVD. It is of a 1945 American football game. I don't have access to the original film, but I was told that the original film to video transfer was done professionally. Whatever created these horizontal bars happened after that time.

I have been told that they are static (i.e., they do not crawl up or down the screen as the video is playing).

Question 1: does anyone know what this interference pattern might be called (so I can Google it)?

Question 2: does anyone have some general ideas of what they would use to fix it? If they truly are static, then I might just be able to get away using a mask of some sort and then adjust the exposure and color saturation. If they move, I'll have to devise another approach.

Question 3: Does anyone know what might have caused this?

I ask the last question because the person who purchased this disc may be able to find a source that is closer to the original transfer if we can pinpoint what caused the problem, and by knowing that, figure out how to go around the person involved.

Thanks!

Here's a link to an un-edited clip (MPEG-2 format from DVD):

Noise Bar Clip

Attached Images

Last edited by johnmeyer; 9th April 2021 at 22:53. Reason: typo; removed external image link (image approved)
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote