Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 26th April 2007, 16:27   #661  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuukunen View Post
Would it be somehow possible to cope with buggy filters? Would it be possible to make the error manifest when it happens, not when you close AvsP? Also the preview avs's are of course left behind.
I don't believe this is actually possible. I've been stung by it as well, but the problem is that the only way Avsp could do this is to generate an allocation map of everything it didn't allocate, and forcibly deallocate that, but you'd bascally have to reimplement a memory manager to do that reliably. That's why I was a fan of having avisynth in another process (and for crashes), but now that avsp is integrating much more tightly that isn't even feasible.

Quote:
1) Ctrl-tab. Maybe it's because I use Opera and not Firefox, but I don't like the way Ctrl-tab works. I'd prefer that it would work the same way as in Opera or Alt-tab in Windows. I mean it shouldn't move to the next tab, but to the one that was last open. (And traverse the stack if you keep Ctrl down.) Why? Because it would be so much easier to jump back and forth between two tabs even though there are other tabs open. (If you want to compare them for example.) Now I have to make sure there are only two tabs open. You could move the "next tab" function to some other shortcut.
I'd hate that. I'd prefer ctrl+number to directly access the first ten tabs, and some function key to switch between the current and last-viewed tab. (Editplus uses F12 for this.) Your method is actually the default in firefox as well, they copied opera, but I've always found it completely impossible to navigate between more than a few tabs without always having memorized the order I last looked at everything, so I simply never use that feature. The current avsp behavior is the windows standard for ctrl-tab in MDI apps. (And ctrl-alt-tab isn't taken, for what it's worth.)

Quote:
2) The preview window. I don't know how other people compare two scripts, but when I want to look at the small detail, I might open two scripts in two tabs. Then zoom the video to, say, 300%. The first annoyance is that it hides the script under the preview and I have to resize it. Then if I want to have the other script in the same position, I have to resize that tab's preview window to match the other. (Pixel perfect.) But the time it gets really annoying is when I do a typo on the script and it gives me error message. The preview window resizes itself to match the "video". I fix the typo and the preview fills the screen again! And of course I have to yet again get the right size to match the other tab. My solution: If some people like the way it currently handles, at least add two options: "Never ever resize the preview window." and "Preview window is the same size for all tabs."
Options->Misc->Allow Avsp to resize the preview window.

Quote:
3) Reopening a file. When I have a script open and I play around with it. If I notice it's not going in a good direction, I might want to get the previous save I run into some troubles. Even if I click Open and open the file, it refuses to do so. It would be great if opening a file would actually reopen it even if it's already there. Or better yet, if there was a "Reopen". (See #4) Ok, this is a small annoyance, closing the tab and then opening works, but still...
Unintuitive feature time: Double click on one of the tabs. That will clone the current contents to a new tab. From there you can undo back to wherever you wanted to be, or close+reopen, whatever. I admit this is more of a workaround than a solution to your problem.

Quote:
4) Multiple tabs of a same file. AvsP's sliders and togglable tags are great. So it would be good to have the possibility of having the same script open in two tabs so I'd be able to play around with the toggles and sliders and compare it to some other setting of the same script.
The tab double click again.

Quote:
5) Information about video. I don't know how feasible this is to implement, but when comparing filters and their settings, sometimes it's very important to know how fast they are. It would rock to have small text somewhere that tells how fast the frame was rendered. (SPF or FPS) This idea could be taken further and you could have optional other stuff too, like PSNR displayed somewhere, but that's not as important as the time.
I wouldn't mind a performance metric. You can use avstimer to get a more granual profile, but a top-level overview is nice too. (I have a version of avstimer that can do float fps & spf, because sometimes I make scripts that need them....)

No issue with the whole #6 section, though 6.4 might be a bit too ambitious in the near term, although necessary. The main thing I'd add is that the syntax becomes unwieldy for working with a whole filter's arguments at once, because of the duplication of the filter & argument name in the title of each; a "whole filter" style of slider definition would make sense. But the UI generation are quite prickly, I understand that well enough that I've just avoided that chunk of avsp's code. >.>
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 20:27   #662  |  Link
Kuukunen

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I'd hate that. I'd prefer ctrl+number to directly access the first ten tabs, and some function key to switch between the current and last-viewed tab. (Editplus uses F12 for this.) Your method is actually the default in firefox as well, they copied opera, but I've always found it completely impossible to navigate between more than a few tabs without always having memorized the order I last looked at everything, so I simply never use that feature. The current avsp behavior is the windows standard for ctrl-tab in MDI apps. (And ctrl-alt-tab isn't taken, for what it's worth.)
Well, the main point was that it would be somehow easily possible to switch between two tabs even though there are multiple open. Those suggestions would work fine too. (Or well, Ctrl-Alt-Tab might be a bit cumbersome.) I guess it's all a matter of preference, I use Ctrl-Tab in Opera all the time.
Quote:
Options->Misc->Allow Avsp to resize the preview window. :D
Naturally options was the first place I looked. I noticed the option, but... I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it doesn't work that way. It's called "Allow AvsP to resize the window." (not preview) so I figured it might mean the whole window. Anyways, it's not doing what I want. When I typo, it will still resize the window and when I fix and have zoom on, it will resize it to take all space. The second half of my point was invalidated though. I was using the older version and apparently the new version has preview sized the same for all tabs. Yay.

Well #3 and #4 were just minor things anyways, not too important. Although usually when you open open a file again, you get the new content, in AvsP it's completely ignored. (Apparently) And yea, I didn't know you could double click a tab to copy it.
Quote:
I wouldn't mind a performance metric. You can use avstimer to get a more granual profile, but a top-level overview is nice too. (I have a version of avstimer that can do float fps & spf, because sometimes I make scripts that need them....)
I like Kronos. But where could I get a avstimer that does floats? :o
Kuukunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 00:31   #663  |  Link
Alain2

French translation updated

oh and one additional note following my previous post:
- The custom resizer for the video zoom method has disappeared from options.. Or am I not looking at the right place ? Or have you removed it because of the new video directly generated via avisynth layout ? What is the method used now, and is this feature coming back in future releases ?
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 02:12   #664  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Naturally options was the first place I looked. I noticed the option, but... I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it doesn't work that way. It's called "Allow AvsP to resize the window." (not preview) so I figured it might mean the whole window. Anyways, it's not doing what I want. When I typo, it will still resize the window and when I fix and have zoom on, it will resize it to take all space. The second half of my point was invalidated though. I was using the older version and apparently the new version has preview sized the same for all tabs. Yay.
I can't replicate your exact problem, but I found another problem related to zoom: With resize enabled, going from 25%->200% does nothing. In fact it doesn't resize in zooms higher than 100% at all. I can see both good and bad sides to that, though. It might be that the zoom+resize code is just a little iffy.

Quote:
I like Kronos. But where could I get a avstimer that does floats?
http://foxyshadis.slightlydark.com/random/AvsTimer.zip

The funny thing is that float support was built-in from the beginning, but kassandro disabled it in his original release. Weird. All I did was enable it and add an spf option. I also updated the docs with the new filter definition.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:25   #665  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain2 View Post
- bug : resizing the width of the script window makes a strange bug on the video window right side that is sort of resized as well (independant windows in my config)
Not sure what you mean. Can you give a specific example?

Quote:
- cosmetic : when the cursor is in the video window, the pos and hex values appear in the status bar (default status bar, didn't customize it yet ^^), but this slightly pushes the right side infos [edit] this is not always the case apparently..
Yeah, when the status bar message gets too long for the window, it behaves a little strangely. I didn't write that code, so a fix is not possible unless I write my own status bar from scratch. Generally speaking the problem will only show up when the window size is relatively small, so you can either resize the window or customize the status bar message to something smaller.

Quote:
- bug ? : maybe check the display code of the video window, I got the impression that when resizing the window it displays the resized picture and refreshes again a second time straight away, which then takes twice longer to display than before I think (important for heavy scripts like the ones I write ^^) ; seeking with the cursor below doesn't produce the double refresh, so it's probably just when the window is resized
- cosmetic : the cursors / toggles / etc area is not hidden automatically any more when there is no specific avsp code in scripts
These problems aren't really bugs, they only occur when you use the "fit inside window" zoom mode. In this mode a video refresh is necessary whenever the window changes size. Also in this mode I forced the sub-windows to stay in the same positions when you switch tabs, to keep the video window height and width constant. Keep in mind that if you are comparing videos with the same resolution, you don't need to use the "fit inside window" option, I changed the display code to keep the video window height constant when switching between tabs with the same video resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolent View Post
I have discover this soft thanks to Alain2 (thanks to him ).
AvsP is a very impressive and powerful Avisynth tool.
Thank you qwerpoi to have created this amazing program and continued to develop it.
You're welcome, glad you find the program useful.

Quote:
There has been troubles with memory usage when there's buggy filters.
I agree that AvsP is a memory hog, especially working with big videos and intensive filters. I can't guarantee I can do anything about it, but I will give some consideration to your concerns and try and determine the best way to handle it.

Quote:
When I edit a togglable tag manually, (change =0 to =1) the corresponding checkbox won't update.
I'll check it out, thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
1) Ctrl-tab. Maybe it's because I use Opera and not Firefox, but I don't like the way Ctrl-tab works. I'd prefer that it would work the same way as in Opera or Alt-tab in Windows.
I don't really use Ctrl+Tab much, it's just sort of the standard for tabbed text editors. If the video preview is visible and has focus, you can actually use the number keys to jump to the appropriate tab (counting from zero, the "0" or the "~" key jumps to the zeroth tab, "1" jumps to the first tab, etc.) One idea I had a long time ago was to put a little bitmap on each tab whenever the video preview had focus, where each bitmap would be the appropriate keyboard shortcut to jump to it, basically to make the feature less invisible. I'll take your thoughts and foxyshadis' thoughts into consideration, and try and come up with something everyone can use.

Quote:
2) The preview window. I don't know how other people compare two scripts, but when I want to look at the small detail, I might open two scripts in two tabs. Then zoom the video to, say, 300%. The first annoyance is that it hides the script under the preview and I have to resize it. Then if I want to have the other script in the same position, I have to resize that tab's preview window to match the other. (Pixel perfect.) But the time it gets really annoying is when I do a typo on the script and it gives me error message. The preview window resizes itself to match the "video". I fix the typo and the preview fills the screen again! And of course I have to yet again get the right size to match the other tab. My solution: If some people like the way it currently handles, at least add two options: "Never ever resize the preview window." and "Preview window is the same size for all tabs."
Valid complaints, and as you point out, the new version fixes one of them (same resolution videos keep the same window position when switching tabs now). To fix the other problem (error clips), I can change the code to NOT change the video window height whenever an error clip is shown. That should cover most cases, I'll give it a bit more thought, I may add your suggested options if it simplifies things. Ah, I yearn for the days when AvsP didn't let you resize the video window at all, obviously limited, but definitely simpler for me

Quote:
3) Reopening a file. When I have a script open and I play around with it. If I notice it's not going in a good direction, I might want to get the previous save I run into some troubles. Even if I click Open and open the file, it refuses to do so. It would be great if opening a file would actually reopen it even if it's already there. Or better yet, if there was a "Reopen". (See #4) Ok, this is a small annoyance, closing the tab and then opening works, but still...
Sounds reasonable, I'll consider it. What I'll likely do is if you try to open a file that's already open with changes, prompt you to reload and overwrite those changes. For now be aware that AvsP has an infinite undo, so you could keep on hitting Ctrl+Z until you get back to a good point or the original state.

Quote:
4) Multiple tabs of a same file.
Might cause some problems, so I'd rather not, since as foxyshadis pointed out double-clicking the tab to make a copy will get you the result you need.

Quote:
5) Information about video. I don't know how feasible this is to implement, but when comparing filters and their settings, sometimes it's very important to know how fast they are. It would rock to have small text somewhere that tells how fast the frame was rendered. (SPF or FPS) This idea could be taken further and you could have optional other stuff too, like PSNR displayed somewhere, but that's not as important as the time.
Interesting suggestion, but it also sounds like a lot of work , so I'll add it to my to-do list but I can't guarantee how long it will take until I look into it some more.

Quote:
6) Misc. improvments on the interactive AvsP-only stuff. (I really don't know what to call them.) As you said, it might revolutionize the way I create scripts. I'm thinking about making a big meta-script that has all sorts of possibilities I can control with toggles and sliders. There are a couple of things I'd like before that though.
I have been working on a completely different way of constructing user sliders, based upon a few of the observations you brought up. Although it may not address all stuff you brought up in 6.1 - 6.7 (you weren't kidding about the long post ), after the next version is released, we can determine what still needs to be done.

Quote:
French translation updated

oh and one additional note following my previous post:
- The custom resizer for the video zoom method has disappeared from options.. Or am I not looking at the right place ? Or have you removed it because of the new video directly generated via avisynth layout ? What is the method used now, and is this feature coming back in future releases ?
Thanks for the translation update. The custom resizer did indeed disappear, due to the fact that the video is being generated through Avisynth directly. The resizer is still an Avisynth resize, a BicubicResize with default weights. Bringing back the custom resize option will take some work, I'll try and bring it back in a release or two.
qwerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 02:36   #666  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
I can't replicate your exact problem, but I found another problem related to zoom: With resize enabled, going from 25%->200% does nothing. In fact it doesn't resize in zooms higher than 100% at all. I can see both good and bad sides to that, though. It might be that the zoom+resize code is just a little iffy.
Looks like you posted about the same time as I did. The behavior you're describing is not a bug, basically when you refresh a video with the program resize option enabled, AvsP determines the necessary program size to show the video without scrollbars, along with the user sliders (if any are defined). If it turns out that the necessary program size is bigger than the current screen resolution (ie, you're working with a honking big video), then AvsP doesn't bother to resize the program window, and your video will show up with scrollbars accordingly.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:47   #667  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

In pyavs_avifile.py, how about changing:
Code:
resizeScript = 'Import("%s").ConvertToRGB().BicubicResize(%i,%i)' % (previewname, fitWidth, fitHeight)
to
Code:
resizeScript = 'Import("%%s").ConvertToRGB().%s' % 'BicubicResize(%i,%i)'
resizeScript = resizeScript % (previewname, fitWidth, fitHeight)
Where the Bicubic in this case is a placeholder for the actual option string, however that would get transferred into the avs class. Or really, even just making the name a string placeholder would work, the only routine use of custom arguments here are lanczos/blackman taps.

Perhaps it could check for the nearest round number percentage, so that if 100% fits but 200% doesn't, then going from 25%->200% will at least give you a window size of 100%. I'm not too worried about it though.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 27th April 2007 at 02:51.
Old 27th April 2007, 03:03   #668  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
In pyavs_avifile.py, how about changing:
Code:
resizeScript = 'Import("%s").ConvertToRGB().BicubicResize(%i,%i)' % (previewname, fitWidth, fitHeight)
to
Code:
resizeScript = 'Import("%%s").ConvertToRGB().%s' % 'BicubicResize(%i,%i)'
resizeScript = resizeScript % (previewname, fitWidth, fitHeight)
Where the Bicubic in this case is a placeholder for the actual option string, however that would get transferred into the avs class. Or really, even just making the name a string placeholder would work, the only routine use of custom arguments here are lanczos/blackman taps.
Yeah, that'll work, but pyavs_avifile.py is the backwards compatible version, pyavs.py is the one that communicates directly with Avisynth (I should have mentioned this somewhere, the source files have pretty confusing names now ). The new display method does not use temporary preview scripts anymore, since they were no longer necessary. Therefore an Avisynth Invoke() is required to generate the resize. So in order to implement the custom resize, I need to parse the arguments out of the string - not impossible, but if it's done incorrectly the video preview will fail without apparent reason. If I don't allow for custom arguments, then it should be simple to let the user choose which Avisynth resize to use. But that would seem like a half-way customization to me, I imagine the only ones using this feature would be people with advanced customization needs.

Quote:
Perhaps it could check for the nearest round number percentage, so that if 100% fits but 200% doesn't, then going from 25%->200% will at least give you a window size of 100%. I'm not too worried about it though.
Interesting. Might give it a shot, although I might not - your approach would definitely be more correct and less confusing, but I'm not too worried about it either .

Last edited by qwerpoi; 27th April 2007 at 03:05.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:00   #669  |  Link
krisq

I don't know why but 'Video Information' window doesn't give me parity info. It's always displaying 'none'. Info() in script has no problem with this.
Old 27th April 2007, 13:14   #670  |  Link
Dr.Khron

Quote:
For now be aware that AvsP has an infinite undo, so you could keep on hitting Ctrl+Z until you get back to a good point or the original state.
AS far as I'm concerned, this is the number one feature that makes AvsP better then using Notepad.
Plus, the little asterix on the tab to tell you when you've re-matched to the saved copy is brilliant. Simple but very useful.
Sometimes is just nice to work backwards, kind of a "what was I thinking?" thing on your way to back to saved state.

One question, I havn't quite figured out how the Sessions work for bookmarks... Its not possible to save bookmarks seperatley, is it? They seem to save with the session, but they also auto-save with the current session. Sometimes tho, I've lost the bookmarks if I havn't made a deliberate effort to save a session.
Dr.Khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 21:25   #671  |  Link
Alain2

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerpoi View Post
Not sure what you mean. Can you give a specific example?
before
after (resize of the width of the script window)

[edit]first time in a long time I see a crash, nice feature the new error log
Quote:
[Fri Apr 27 23:37:29 2007]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "AvsP.py", line 5153, in OnMenuVideoSwitchMode
File "AvsP.py", line 7870, in ShowVideoFrame
File "AvsP.py", line 8216, in UpdateScriptAVI
File "pyavs.pyo", line 237, in __init__
ZeroDivisionError: float division
File "AvsP.py", line 6310, in OnPaintVideoWindow
File "AvsP.py", line 8441, in PaintAVIFrame
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'DrawFrame'
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'DrawFrame'
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'DrawFrame
[...]
Btw I didn't stress it enough but I do love the new fit inside window zoom, that's exactely the zoom option I was hoping you to add

Last edited by Alain2; 27th April 2007 at 23:45.
Alain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 03:55   #672  |  Link
ChiDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
I don't know why but 'Video Information' window doesn't give me parity info. It's always displaying 'none'. Info() in script has no problem with this.
It appears that's down to this:
Code:
        if v.IsFrameBased:
            fieldframebased = _('Frame Based')
            parity = _('None')
            parityshort = _('None')
        else:
            fieldframebased = _('Field Based')
            if parity == 0:
                parity = _('Top Field First')
                parityshort = _('TFF')
            else:
                parity = _('Bottom Field First')
                parityshort = _('BFF')
qwerpoi, Frame/Field Based isn't an indication of progressive/interlaced.

That said, I'm getting BFF reported even with AssumeTFF().SeparateFields() and SeparateFields().AssumeTFF().

Last edited by ChiDragon; 28th April 2007 at 03:55. Reason: typo
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 04:18   #673  |  Link
Veiga

qwerpoi.

Nice work again. Thanks
new update translation for v138
Attached Files
File Type: zip Portugues_BR_v1.3.8__translation.zip (13.7 KB, 50 views)
Veiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 05:07   #674  |  Link
AlanHK

I've used Avsp for a few days, so have no doubt missed a few things, I've spent a few hours reading this thread but 672 messages is a lot to digest....

To me the killer feature is sliders. But these seem oddly de-emphasised in the GUI.
Though the screenshots show them, which is what first drew my attention to the project, I had to spend quite a while rummaging through the interface to find how to use them.
For instance, the r-click has "Avisynth function/Autocomplete". No mention of "sliders". The "function definition" has "presets", again, the word "slider" is absent. All these presets are initially blank, so I was just copying and pasting my slider definitions from an external text file till I stumbled across references to the "preset" method of storing them. I think there's room to label this, say "Preset (values and sliders)". Though users will surely want to customise these, wouldn't it be useful to have sliders defined out of the box for most functions? Though there is a facility for importing and exporting these, is there any repository that collects useful definitions?

A smaller issue, the blue "initial value" seems to be reset when a tab is opened, or reopened. So after playing with the sliders and switching back and forth between a few tabs, there is no way to restore the default values except by deleting and reinserting the function. I understand why this happens, but the word "initial" is a bit misleading. Perhaps it could be mentioned in the docs.

I have a problem with the r-click menu. If I have the cursor in a function name I've just written, and r-click and choose "Show calltip", nothing happens. If I choose "Autocomplete", it shows the calltip. The other functions work as expected.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 07:06   #675  |  Link
qwerpoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDragon View Post
qwerpoi, Frame/Field Based isn't an indication of progressive/interlaced.

That said, I'm getting BFF reported even with AssumeTFF().SeparateFields() and SeparateFields().AssumeTFF().
D'oh. That's the downside of releasing the source, people get to poke around and see what kind of idiot you are . Clearly I'm no interlacing guru. I'll try and have this stuff worked out by the next release, in the meantime if you want your parity info you'll have to rely on the old Info() standby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Khron View Post
One question, I havn't quite figured out how the Sessions work for bookmarks... Its not possible to save bookmarks seperatley, is it? They seem to save with the session, but they also auto-save with the current session. Sometimes tho, I've lost the bookmarks if I havn't made a deliberate effort to save a session.
You're right, bookmarks save with sessions. It may be possible that you didn't lose any bookmarks between sessions, the bookmarks won't show up visually under the frame slider if for example your current video has only 100 frames and all the bookmarks are larger than 100. You can right-click the video and check out the "Navigate -> Go to bookmark" menu to be sure.

Quote:
before
after (resize of the width of the script window)

[edit]first time in a long time I see a crash, nice feature the new error log

Btw I didn't stress it enough but I do love the new fit inside window zoom, that's exactely the zoom option I was hoping you to add
Thanks for pointing out the bugs, I'll try and figure out what's going on. And I'm glad you like the fit inside window option, it was surprisingly difficult to implement properly. Still needs some ironing out, but I'm happy that currently it's more-or-less functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiga View Post
qwerpoi.

Nice work again. Thanks
new update translation for v138
Thanks for the translation update, I'll update the links when the attachment is approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
To me the killer feature is sliders. But these seem oddly de-emphasised in the GUI.
Though the screenshots show them, which is what first drew my attention to the project, I had to spend quite a while rummaging through the interface to find how to use them.
Yeah, I admit there's a lot to rummage through, so user sliders may not be the easiest thing to learn at first. In the beginning there were a lot fewer features, so I'd argue it was simpler to figure everything out, c'est la vie . I guess I need to make it more prominent, but if you're totally lost towards the basic usage of AvsP, you should check out the animated flash demo on the AvsP website (there's a link to it directly in AvsP, in the "Help -> Animated Tutorial" menu). Also you can read the "User sliders" section in the docs (again in the "Help -> User sliders" menu).

A little aside: To me AvsP's killer feature isn't user sliders, it's the tabbed text editor, which allows for direct video comparisons (an absolute must in video editing) without the need for lining up windows. But that's sort of hard to sell at a glance, user sliders have that instant visual appeal (and of course they're very useful themselves). Generally I imagine most people will give the program a shot because of user sliders, but hopefully they stick around because the program is well rounded and has every feature you could possibly want from an Avisynth editor. Perhaps too many features , but ultimately that never bothered me much, since I figure at the least anyone who has used Notepad with Avisynth will be right at home, and figure out any extra features along the way.

As for your concerns about user slider usage, as I've mentioned a couple of times earlier, I'm working on a new method of generating user sliders to tackle some of the clunkier aspects of the current approach. This includes putting together some form of database for all existing filters (not trivial). I still have a lot of work to do, I think I might post a thread in the Avisynth dev forum with a general outline of the new approach, such that people can offer feedback and possibly help out with the generation of the complete database.

Quote:
I have a problem with the r-click menu. If I have the cursor in a function name I've just written, and r-click and choose "Show calltip", nothing happens. If I choose "Autocomplete", it shows the calltip. The other functions work as expected.
Ah, the "Show calltip" function only works when the cursor is inside the function arguments (now that you point it out, I should change this behavior). The "Autocomplete" function is supposed to be used when you have only typed in a portion of a function name, it will then bring up the list of filters which start with that portion of text. Autocomplete is called automatically when you start a word with a capital letter, the menu option is only there if the text you type started with a lower case letter or for some reason you closed the autocomplete list window (by clicking away). You generally don't need to use either function, since most of the time they are activated automatically. The reason they don't have much in the way of explanation is because they are standard features in many programming editors. Sorry about any confusion they may have caused.

Last edited by qwerpoi; 28th April 2007 at 07:21.
Old 28th April 2007, 07:50   #676  |  Link
AlanHK

Quote:
you should check out the animated flash demo on the AvsP website (there's a link to it directly in AvsP, in the "Help -> Animated Tutorial" menu).
I saw that, it's what made me persist in working out how to do the things shown there.

Quote:
A little aside: To me AvsP's killer feature isn't user sliders, it's the tabbed text editor
The sliders are, to me anyway, brand new. The tabbed screens are very useful, but before I was using several instances of VDub and clicking between them. Avsp is obviously much better, keeping the screens synchronised, etc, but the tabs are not new functionality.

Quote:
Ah, the "Show calltip" function... The reason they don't have much in the way of explanation is because they are standard features in many programming editors.
OK. The last programming editor I used was vi, and before that punchcards. So I'm not familiar with IDEs. These days I use Ultraedit for the scraps of code I write.

Last edited by AlanHK; 28th April 2007 at 07:52.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 10:29   #677  |  Link
Henrikx

Error ?
Old 29th April 2007, 04:13   #678  |  Link
ChiDragon

qwerpoi, small thing. AVS files with "&" in the filename are shown with an underline in its place. Can you change the label style or something so that this doesn't happen?
ChiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 15:32   #679  |  Link
lolent

I have some troubles when I try to play videos with any kind of scripts (just with directshowsource or with a script that has source load + resize + crop, etc...)
The preview doesn't function with internal and external player.

PS : I use Avisynth 2.5.7 & AvsP 1.3.8
lolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 16:20   #680  |  Link
chipzoller
Mr. Woof

Is the resize calculator under "tools" still scheduled to be included at some point?
chipzoller is offline   Reply With Quote