Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 9th September 2019, 22:52   #1  |  Link
maczones

Possible to add a subtitle if movie contains none?

Not sure if this question has been previously addressed but hope it can be answered, so here it is:

I have a blu-ray movie that originally came without subtitles. I went ahead and added an English subtitle using tsMuxer but when I play the movie it is very jerky and unstable. Since this blu-ray movie did not originally have subtitles, is there something extra I need to do when adding the subtitle or is this impossible to do under these circumstances?

TIA
Mac
maczones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 02:07   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Is that a commercial bluray that you bought? Which one?
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 22:19   #3  |  Link
maczones

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Is that a commercial bluray that you bought? Which one?
Yes. 633 Squadron UK release.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/633-S...lu-ray/233367/
Old 13th September 2019, 19:56   #4  |  Link
maczones

Can anybody help to address this question? Appreciate any help. More info: Movie frame rate is 23.976 and the frame rate of the inserted subtitles is also 23.976.

Last edited by maczones; 13th September 2019 at 20:02.
Old 14th September 2019, 01:27   #5  |  Link
maczones

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczones View Post
Can anybody help to address this question? Appreciate any help. More info: Movie frame rate is 23.976 and the frame rate of the inserted subtitles is also 23.976.

Another update on this mystery. I took the main video M2TS blu-ray file and added the sub .srt file in MKVtoolnix to convert it to MKV. The mkv video played fine with the added subs. I then reconverted the mkv file to M2TS and when I played the file, the same issues arose with the video breaking up and jerky. I know the mkv format is a container, so that explains why I can play it without the described issues but still don't understand why converting the mkv file back to an M2TS format it exhibits the same problems.

Last edited by maczones; 16th September 2019 at 01:13.
Old 14th September 2019, 01:47   #6  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Looks like tsmuxer has issues here. Try posting in the tsmuxer thread(s)?
Old 16th September 2019, 00:03   #7  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
Another update on this mystery. I took the main video M2TS blur-ray file and added the sub .srt file in MKVtoolnix to convert it to MKV. The mkv video played fine with the added subs. I then reconverted the mkv file to M2TS and when I played the file, the same issues arose with the video breaking up and jerky. I know the mkv format is a container, so that explains why I can play it without the described issues but still don't understand why converting the mkv file back to an M2TS format it exhibits the same problems.
tsMuxer accepts «native» Blu-Ray subpics (.SUP files). You can convert your .srt to .ssa and then to .sup and see what happens :–/
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 01:00   #8  |  Link
maczones

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Looks like tsmuxer has issues here. Try posting in the tsmuxer thread(s)?
tsmuxer thread:

Network Optix tsMuxeR. Version 2.6.12. www.networkoptix.com
Decoding H264 stream (track 1): Profile: High@4.1 Resolution: 1920:1080p Frame rate: 23.976
H.264 muxing fps is not set. Get fps from stream. Value: 23.976
H264 bitstream changed: insert pict timing and buffering period SEI units
Decoding LPCM stream (track 2): Bitrate: 2304Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 2 Bits per sample: 24bit
Decoding PGS stream (track 3): Resolution: 1920:1080 Frame rate: 23.976
Old 16th September 2019, 01:09   #9  |  Link
maczones

Quote:
Originally Posted by filler56789 View Post
tsMuxer accepts «native» Blu-Ray subpics (.SUP files). You can convert your .srt to .ssa and then to .sup and see what happens :–/
I have successfully inserted .srt files in substitution to a resident PGS sub without converting the .srt to .ssa and then to .sup. Of course this is the first time I have a movie that has no subs to start with, so of course there is nothing to substitute.

I am assuming there must be something more that needs to be done with the blu ray file structure to recognize there is a sub so it can play normally instead of a distorted playback... just my own unproven assumptions of course.

Mac
Old 16th September 2019, 02:31   #10  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Quote:
tsmuxer thread:

Network Optix tsMuxeR. Version 2.6.12. www.networkoptix.com
Decoding H264 stream (track 1): Profile: High@4.1 Resolution: 1920:1080p Frame rate: 23.976
H.264 muxing fps is not set. Get fps from stream. Value: 23.976
H264 bitstream changed: insert pict timing and buffering period SEI units
Decoding LPCM stream (track 2): Bitrate: 2304Kbps Sample Rate: 48KHz Channels: 2 Bits per sample: 24bit
Decoding PGS stream (track 3): Resolution: 1920:1080 Frame rate: 23.976
Probably videoh meant this ↓↓↓

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168539
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 03:34   #11  |  Link
maczones

filler56789... Thanks for chiming in but I don't know what you mean, the link points me to a discussion about 3D and there are 86 pages. Do you know which page to refer to?

Mac
Old 17th September 2019, 02:47   #12  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Hi maczones, welcome to the forum! I was just suggesting that as it appears to be a possible issue with tsmuxer you might consider posting your query in the tsmuxer thread at this forum. I didn't mean to suggest there was a solution there already.

My advice is you'll probably have to use a professional tool for this. tsmuxer only recently became open source and not many fixes have been forthcoming thus far for the more difficult issues. Some brave developers are working with it, however, so it may be worth posting in a tsmuxer thread. Maybe there is a bug tracker too. If you can't access a professional tool then be happy for any workaround you can cobble up. You should try as filler56789 suggested also. Feed tsmuxer with proper sup files.

Last edited by videoh; 17th September 2019 at 03:03.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:43   #13  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The solution is to read at least the documentation of a tool needed in the process.

Adding a subtitle to a movie is nowhere more complicated than replacing an existing subtitle track, in fact simpler, for it doesn't need to deselct the existing one (one click less).

Anyway, every single movie in this universe has initially no subtitle, so adding a subtitle to a movie containing no subtitles HAS TO BE possible