Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th October 2017, 08:15   #1  |  Link
smoothnobody

madVR + potplayer / MPC

when i use potplayer sometimes i get a black screen in full screen for HDR content. i have to switch the video renderer between madshi and auto before it displays properly.

with MPC if the video renderer is madshi it crashes in full screen when playing SDR content. i have to switch the renderer back to auto for SDR in full screen.

is this normal? is madVR only for HDR and not meant for SDR? am i not doing something right?

Last edited by smoothnobody; 30th October 2017 at 08:20.
smoothnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 10:33   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

That is not normal, madVR is very much for SDR.

HDR is still quite unreliable on my system after the Fall Creators update and with the newer Nvidia drivers.

Which GPU are you using? Which display?
Old 30th October 2017, 11:19   #3  |  Link
smoothnobody

KS8000 and 1080TI.

after playing with it more i realized it has nothing to do with SDR content. both potplayer and MPC crash in full screen with madshi as the renderer when using RGB full in the nvidia control panel. if i set the renderer to auto, no problem. if the players are in window mode, no problem. if i set nvidia control panel to default color settings, no problem. if i set nvidia control panel to YCBC422, no problem. the problem is madshi as the renderer, with RGB full, in full screen.
Old 30th October 2017, 12:05   #4  |  Link
smoothnobody

i figured it out. turn off enable automatic full screen exclusive mode.
Old 18th November 2017, 10:20   #5  |  Link
smoothnobody

i re-installed windows on a new drive and now i can't get HDR working. it's been working great since i posted last so really confused why i'm having problems. i installed madvr as admin, selected madshi as the renderer in potplayer, set nvidia control panel to default color settings, also tried YCBCR422, turned on hdr and advanced colors in the windows display settings. what am i forgetting to do?

Last edited by smoothnobody; 18th November 2017 at 10:28.
Old 18th November 2017, 11:33   #6  |  Link
Asmodian

Make sure to set the GPU's output color depth to >8-bit. You might also try setting madVR's HDR option to "passthrough HDR content to the display" in case madVR doesn't think your display accepts HDR.

If I manually set HDR mode in Windows and then start playback of HDR content HDR10 mode works on my LG C7P (Windows 10 Fall creators update, Nvidia 388.31).
Old 19th November 2017, 05:14   #7  |  Link
smoothnobody

where do i find passthrough HDR content to the display? i've looked at your madvr options explained thread and i don't see an hdr directory. screenshot in link.

https://imgur.com/RnqvyXH

i heard you can control+J in potplayer to see a list of player information. screenshot in link.

https://imgur.com/wYhTufi

one thing i noticed is when i start HDR content my whole desktop lights up light a christmas tree and it's obvious my display is in HDR mode but the video within potplayer is not displaying the HDR properly.

another thing i discovered is when i install shark007 MPC-BE with madVR already installed potplayer starts playing HDR properly. this makes me wonder if i'm not installing madvr properly. it doesn't matter where i install madvr right?

Last edited by smoothnobody; 19th November 2017 at 06:09.
Old 20th November 2017, 04:30   #8  |  Link
Asmodian

Expand the Device "samsung" and check its 'hdr" page.

Looking at your second screenshot; madVR is not getting the metadata from LAV video, I don't know why potplayer isn't working but that is probably your issue.

Last edited by Asmodian; 20th November 2017 at 04:32.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017, 08:32   #9  |  Link
smoothnobody

passthrough HDR content to the display didn't work. i tried installing LAVfilters, that didn't work either.
Old 20th November 2017, 11:20   #10  |  Link
jaiden190

Dunno what has happened. But I used to be able to watch HDR video on my TV with MPC-HC with Madvr. I have set it to passthrough and send metadata.

It used to work fine. In fullscreen mode (exclusive and borderless) it used to come up with the HDR message on the TV and would work fine. when closing the video Windows would turn off HDR.

Now it only works in windowed mode. In exclusive and borderless fullscreen mode it no longer comes up with the HDR message and does not work. When closing the file I have to manually go into display settings and turn off HDR.

I have reinstalled both Madvr and MPC-HC and the same problem. I have updated my drivers with no effect. Anyone else having this problem? has Microsoft updated anything recently? My Windows Version is 1709.

Would it have anything to do with Smoothnobody's Problem?

Last edited by jaiden190; 20th November 2017 at 11:23.
jaiden190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2017, 12:41   #11  |  Link
smoothnobody

try this guys player. it has madvr included in the install. when i install madvr myself HDR doesn't work. when i install it through this guys player HDR works.

http://shark007.net/tools.html
Old 20th November 2017, 12:50   #12  |  Link
smoothnobody

also, regarding my original post of crashing in fullscreen. i realized that problem is back. below is a screenshot of the error message. after google search somebody mentioned vertical sync set to fast in nvidia control panel and image settings set to use the advanced 3d image settings. i changed vsync from fast to on and it stopped crashing. some might say this is a nvidia problem. however, if i have potplayers renderer set to auto it doesn't crash. it only crashes with madvr as the renderer, in fullscreen, with fast vsync.

https://imgur.com/XCavk6P
Old 20th November 2017, 13:21   #13  |  Link
smoothnobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I don't know why potplayer isn't working
i don't think this is a potplayer issue. look at my screenshot. you can see HDR is working properly with potplayer. i didn't change any settings in potplayer. the only that that changed is i uninstalled the madvr i downloaded from the madvr site and i installed sharks player with madvr included. why does sharks madvr work for me but the madvr straight from the developers website does not?

https://imgur.com/rQBIqhU
Old 20th November 2017, 18:51   #14  |  Link
Asmodian

HDR works fine for me without sharks player, it does for those who use MPC-HC as well. Why would it be a problem with madVR?

What else does the sharks player install?
Old 21st November 2017, 01:32   #15  |  Link
smoothnobody

i decided to try MPC-HC. same issue. screenshot below. i think sharks player only installs madvr and something for subtitles. that other guy who posted is also using MPC-HC and having problems so i'm not the only one. i'm not necessarily saying there is a problem with madvr. but it's clearly not working for some people and there is a reason. what that reason is i don't know. it's probably something stupid like how i missed the samsung directory. sharks madvr isn't installed with madvr default settings. there is probably a setting that needs to be adjusted or it's not being installed correctly. remember how i said my tv lights up light a chritmas tree? my windows environment is going in to hdr mode but the video within the player is not. when i use sharks madvr it's the other way around. only the video within the player receives the hdr treatment. my desktop background and my documents and nvidia control panel should not be displaying hdr colors.

https://imgur.com/AVRLfQB
Old 21st November 2017, 02:35   #16  |  Link
Asmodian

Have you tried the various options in madVR's HDR settings? Convert to SDR using pixel shader math sounds like what you want. The TV will stay in SDR mode, leaving the desktop alone.

You could also look at the madVR settings after the sharks player was installed.

With your current settings do you get correct HDR playback if you manually set the Windows HDR mode on before starting an HDR video?
Old 21st November 2017, 03:15   #17  |  Link
smoothnobody

i've tried letmadvr decide and passthrough hdr to the display. no difference. when i unchecked send hdr metadata to the display my desktop stopped displaying hdr colors and potplayer went from saying hdr unknown properties to hdr 4000 nits bt2020 but i still was not getting hdr next to display 59.99hz. at this point i think i'm done banging my head against the wall. it works after installing sharks player. it's not ideal but it works. the only other thing i am curious about is the crashing in fullscreen. you have an nvidia gpu can you test fast vsync for me? adjust the image settings from let the 3d application decide to use the advanced 3d image settings. go to manage 3d settings and turn on fast vsync. play a movie in fullscreen when not in hdr mode. let me know if your player crashes when using madvr as the renderer.