Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 9th January 2006, 22:56   #41  |  Link
Raithmir

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Not everyone agrees on this, but in the current mode of operation, it shouldn't. The AviSynth plugins directory is very useful, and if you put your plugins there (why wouldn't you?), you don't need the loadplugin lines.
So you're saying if I've got the plugins directory configured then the encode should work fine... but that preview won't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
Only for non-Snow profiles. It makes sense, doesn't it? Why should MeGUI-Snow be able to load x264/xvid/lavc profiles? If you want that functionality, use the full version.
True. I just stick the three exe's in the same folder. Perhaps an additional tag could be added to the profile xml files to state whether the profile is for x264 or snow etc., then the x264 ones could just be ignored if you chose to run the snow only exe. I appreciate in typical usage you'd probably only use one of the exe's exclusively, so I supose it's a minor thing.
Old 9th January 2006, 23:06   #42  |  Link
Raithmir

Actually, I've figured out why I was just getting a black band. My plugins path in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\AviSynth\) was pointing to an old location. Corrected that and it now works.
Old 9th January 2006, 23:19   #43  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
erhaps an additional tag could be added to the profile xml files to state whether the profile is for x264 or snow etc.
If you look at the profiles, it's already there, however I see no point in opening each profile manually first and check what type of VideoCodecSettings it includes, then based on that decide if I really want to load it or not. I think it's kinda obvious that the snow edition can only handle snow profiles and that the x264 edition can only handle x264 profiles.. it's like if you try to play a video for which you don't have the proper codec installed.. it just won't work.
Old 10th January 2006, 00:13   #44  |  Link
godhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
If you look at the profiles, it's already there, however I see no point in opening each profile manually first and check what type of VideoCodecSettings it includes, then based on that decide if I really want to load it or not. I think it's kinda obvious that the snow edition can only handle snow profiles and that the x264 edition can only handle x264 profiles.. it's like if you try to play a video for which you don't have the proper codec installed.. it just won't work.
What if the profiles were just placed under the appropriate subdirectories so we could load off those and if they fail, fall back to the root directory? Or do you not think it's worth it?
Old 10th January 2006, 00:19   #45  |  Link
The Link

Quote:
Perhaps I don't understand the issue completely but what about making the "Video Profile" dropdown menu dependent on the state of the "Codec" dropdown menu. Hmm ... perhaps this is more a feature request (wrong thread?).

Old 10th January 2006, 08:26   #46  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
but what about making the "Video Profile" dropdown menu dependent on the state of the "Codec" dropdown menu.
Personally I name my profiles with the codec name.. I rather not have to select the codec first just so that I can then select a profile.. that kinda seems redundant seeing that profiles already contain which codecs they are meant for.

And yes, that would be a feature request, though the above is my answer to it.
Old 10th January 2006, 09:28   #47  |  Link
The Link

Quote:
Personally I name my profiles with the codec name.. I rather not have to select the codec first just so that I can then select a profile.. that kinda seems redundant seeing that profiles already contain which codecs they are meant for.

And yes, that would be a feature request, though the above is my answer to it.
Since it's just a minor thing in the end I can live with that. But it quite much confused me that the codec dropdown menu depends on the profile dropdown but not the other way round. So you can change the codec settings of a different codec than the visible (but unrelated) codec profile indicates.

Old 10th January 2006, 09:39   #48  |  Link
digidragon

When aborting an encoding, MeGUI shuts down. I don't have the 'Shutdown at end of coding' checkbox checked.

(version 0.2.3.2)
Old 10th January 2006, 13:24   #49  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@digidragon: what about the corresponding checkbox in the settings?
Old 10th January 2006, 15:45   #50  |  Link
digidragon

The 'Shutdown at end of coding' checkbox in the settings dialog is also unchecked.
Old 10th January 2006, 17:15   #51  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

alright, then please share the easiest possible procedure from starting a virgin megui to reproduce this problem (I won't be looking into it... I have my own little subproject to worry about right now but the person that will look at it will appreciate that info).
Old 10th January 2006, 20:17   #52  |  Link
digidragon

Well, I don't think this will help much, but anyway...

I used the d2v creator and avs creator to create an avisynth script:
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\GordianKnot\DGMPGDec\dgdecode.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\FS\fs50.d2v")
LeakKernelDeInt(order=1,sharp=true)
crop(2,0,-4,-2)
LanczosResize(640,512)
I then loaded the avs script, left the setting on 1P-Goodquality, hit Queue, then hit start on the Queue tab. I left it encoding for 30 seconds or so, then hit Abort. I was asked to confirm if I wanted to abort, and as soon as I clicked Yes, MeGUI closed. No log was created. Also, MeGUI is not running in task manager, so it's not just "hidden".

If I leave the encoding run, it completes successfully.

Using version 0.2.3.2001 of MeGUI.
Old 10th January 2006, 20:28   #53  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
left the setting on 1P-Goodquality,
I don't have any idea what that is.. Which means the report doesn't fullfill the criteria of being reproducable by dummies And I don't wanna hear anything about d2v creator, avs creator and the like.. it needs be "I started MeGUI, selected this avs script", set codec to X, did that and that, etc.
Old 10th January 2006, 20:42   #54  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

He's using one of my x264 video profiles.
Old 10th January 2006, 20:43   #55  |  Link
digidragon

It's the '1P-Goodquality' Video Profile preset, which MeGUI defaults to when it starts.

The other settings were Codec: AVC; File Type: MP4; (no audio)

I don't know what other info to give. To recap...
  • I selected an avs file
  • The Preview window opened
  • I closed it
  • I hit Queue (video)
  • I switched to the Queue tab
  • I hit Start
  • I clicked the Abort button on the status window
  • MeGUI closed itself
Old 10th January 2006, 20:46   #56  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

digidragon the MeGUI-x264 version that comes with x264 has profiles (coz i made and added them) while the standard MeGUI doesnt come with any profiles.
Old 10th January 2006, 20:56   #57  |  Link
digidragon

So I shouldn't be using those profiles with MeGUI? And would that explain the Exception I get when trying to AutoEncode...?
Code:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MeGUI.CommandLineGenerator.generateMP4BoxCommandline(String mp4BoxPath, MuxSettings settings, String input, String output)
   at MeGUI.JobUtil.generateMuxJob(VideoJob vjob, SubStream[] audioStreams, SubStream[] subtitleStreams, String chapterFile, MUXTYPE type, String output)
   at MeGUI.VideoUtil.generateJobSeries(String videoInput, String videoOutput, String muxedOutput, VideoCodecSettings videoSettings, AudioStream[] aStreams, SubStream[] audio, SubStream[] subtitles, String chapters, Int64 desiredSize, Int32 splitSize, Double containerOverhead, MUXTYPE muxtype)
   at MeGUI.AutoEncodeWindow.queueButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Old 10th January 2006, 21:19   #58  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

You should use the profiles but Doom9 said to do a proper bugreport (it means post the entire x264 commandline and not just what profile you used).
Old 10th January 2006, 21:29   #59  |  Link
digidragon

Okay, no problem.
Code:
"x264.exe" --bitrate 791 --ref 3 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --b-rdo --bime --weightb --subme 6 --trellis 1 --analyse all  --8x8dct --progress --no-psnr --output "C:\FS\fs50.mp4" "C:\FS\fs50.avs"
Old 10th January 2006, 21:49   #60  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

ok... bugreport:
with .2003, .2004 and .2005 version whenever a profile is loaded in x264 config the macroblock options are wrongly set.

Can anyone look at this one? i think the problem is in level -> mb code (i modified it in .2003), but im not completely sure and have no time to check it now.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 10th January 2006 at 22:29.
Closed Thread