Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2006, 11:40   #1  |  Link
berrinam

MeGUI Bug-Report Thread

This thread is intended to be a place for everyone to post their MeGUI-related bug reports, and is also intended to be a list of known bugs, so that the some bugs are not repeatedly reported. Naturally, as MeGUI is high-quality software, written by many skilled developers, this thread should not see much activity

Before posting here, please read the bug-reporting guidelines.

Guidelines
Follow these steps, and the process of finding and fixing the bug will become much speedier. Don't follow them, and you won't find much help here.
  1. Check the known bugs list (below) to see if your bug has already been reported. No point in filling up this thread if we already know about the bug
  2. POST YOUR LOGFILE. MeGUI writes lots of valuable information in the logfile. Try reading the log yourself, and see if you find the error, or any outrageous values (ones which are clearly wrong). If you can solve it based on that, good for you. Otherwise, it may help someone else solving your problem.
  3. Describe the simplest way to reproduce your problem. Imagine the people reading your instructions are idiots, so you have to tell them exactly what to do, in a fool-proof way.
    No-one is going to spend 2 days running 10 encodes, on the off-chance that at the end of them, they might crash. Work out how to cause your problem to happen again, and then it is much easier for the problem to be solved.
  4. If it is an obscure bug that happens only once in a while, and you can't work out when, try debugging it yourself:
  5. Too much information is better than too little. Don't make the developers pry the information out of you, as it is too much work for them, and they will just ignore you.
  6. If encoding/muxing doesn't start at all check your sources (e.g. open AviSynth script in a media player and VirtualDub, play the soundtrack in a media player, try playing the files to be muxed, etc.)
  7. Use a build from the latest series of MeGUI releases (at the moment, 0.2.3.2137 or later). Only bugs in this series will be documented, as all known bugs are fixed before going onto a new series.
  8. Don't post here if the problem is clearly not caused by MeGUI. If you aren't sure about which program caused the error, then there is a simple way of being pretty sure:

If MeGUI crashed, then it is almost certainly causing the problem. If MeGUI stays active, but flags the job as an error, then look at the commandline in the MeGUI log. If there are any outrageous values in the commandline (especially negative/very low/very high bitrates), then the commandline MeGUI generated had a problem, and so it is MeGUI's fault. In almost any other situation, it is the fault of an external program, so it is not MeGUI's fault.
  9. Run your job commandline manually. If your commandline is "--bitrate 700 --level 1.3 --no-cabac --subme 6 --analyse p8x8,b8x8 --qpmin 22 --me umh --threads 2 --progress --no-psnr --output "c:\videos\video.mp4", start a commandprompt (start - run - type "cmd" without the "'s, and press enter), go to the path where you have your encoder (e.g. "cd c:\program files\ripping software\x264\"), then type the name of your encoder (e.g. x264.exe ) and paste the commandline and press enter. Alternatively, you can install the "open commandprompt here" powertoy and then you can just right click on your encoder folder in windows explorer, and select open commandprompt, type the name of your encoder and paste the commandline and press enter to get started right away.
Known bugs in series in builds 0.2.3.2137 or later
If a job (say, a mux job) errors out and 'Delete Intermediate Files' is checked, then those files will be deleted anyway, meaning there is no output whatsoever
Description: N/A

Fatal error in some cases with the preview window in the AviSynth Script Creator
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...502#post795502

Queue sometimes does not proceed to next item, at random.
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...255#post798255

The matroska overhead calculation leads to undersized files
Description: See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...588#post809588

huffy mencoder commandlines have a -noodml which shouldn't be there

Last edited by berrinam; 13th May 2006 at 02:19.
Old 5th January 2006, 18:02   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

We're off to a bad start here.. first of all you didn't post all the info we request, and second you posted a bugreport in the feature request thread.. that's definitely the wrong place so I moved it.
Old 5th January 2006, 19:58   #3  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

I cant see the picture coz it's not approved but i think it's the tri-state bug introduced in that relase...

Last edited by Sharktooth; 5th January 2006 at 20:46.
Old 5th January 2006, 20:03   #4  |  Link
Romario

Location: Qetchua mountains in Peru, and Klingon battlecruiser D'Mar
Download the picture which I provided.
Old 5th January 2006, 20:04   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

It's still not approved.
Old 5th January 2006, 21:35   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I've seen it a long time ago.. it's your usual "input cannot be read" error.. but no info as to what the script looks like, if it can be played in a media player and opened in virtualdub.
Old 5th January 2006, 23:41   #7  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

2x show commandline

not updating: lossless --qp 0 show commandline
1: -
2: -
3: When selecting lossless, Show Commandline does not update to --qp 0
4: using megui-x264-svn.exe
5: -
6: -

Edit
When selecting lossless, i guess the qp box should be greyed out too, or the value changed to 0.
And possible when you enter 0, lossless will be set active (on high profile)
/Edit

not updating: Number of Threads --threads X show commandline
3: When changing Number of Threads, Show Commandline does not update to --threads X (not showing it when changing to 2 or higher)

Last edited by bob0r; 6th January 2006 at 00:55.
Old 6th January 2006, 01:38   #8  |  Link
Romario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I've seen it a long time ago.. it's your usual "input cannot be read" error.. but no info as to what the script looks like, if it can be played in a media player and opened in virtualdub.
Ok, here how I wrote my Avisynth script:
DirectShowSource("f:\test video.mpg", fps=25)

Nothing more or less, and with build 1029 it worked without any errors. So, it is very clear that we have a bussines with strange bug.

And yes, script can, without any problems, open and play in VirtualDub Mod 1.5.4.1 and media player.
Old 6th January 2006, 03:22   #9  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I remember a small error I got awhile back when messing with 1 pass TIVTC vfra nd the auto seeking that megui does in the preview pane. by trying to seek using a on demand vfr it caused a buffer overflow and the application to crash. it does the same thing when seeking in vdubmod so I'm guessing it's inherint to the filter. perhaps the file you are loading in Directshowsource is suffering from the same thing in that a non-existent frame is being loaded by the preview pane. perhaps from you giving the incorrect framerate or even from megui loading it at a random spot.

Romario it is probably best if you didn't constantly bug the devs about this issue. However what I do recommend is finding another mpg sample with similarities with the sample you are currently working with and see if it occurs with all mpg files using the current release.

Last edited by ChronoCross; 6th January 2006 at 03:24.
Old 6th January 2006, 06:39   #10  |  Link
godhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
Romario it is probably best if you didn't constantly bug the devs about this issue. However what I do recommend is finding another mpg sample with similarities with the sample you are currently working with and see if it occurs with all mpg files using the current release.
Actually he just responded with the information that Doom9 requested in the other thread and has moved his request to the appropriate thread. So, please don't be too hard on him . But, your suggestion of trying other samples is helpful.
Old 6th January 2006, 09:17   #11  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
perhaps from you giving the incorrect framerate or even from megui loading it at a random spot.
The framerate doesn't matter at the initial setup.. it could be anything and it would still work. All the preview window does is get the number of frames from the source, then jump to floor(#frames/2).

Romario's error is "unsupported colorspace YUY2".. I take it that means the input has to be YV12.. it's quite simple to test that.. add a ConverToYV12() at the end of the AviSynth script (check the AviSynth wiki to see if this command is correct just in case). If it's that.. it's definitely not a MeGUI bug but a user error. In fact, MeGUI has nothing to do at all with the fact that it worked in a previous release.. it's an error that comes directly from x264.exe.. so either something changed inside x264.exe, or you changed something at the source/playback filters that are being used via directshowsource. And then there's the thing that you should run mpg files through dgindex anyway.. DirectShowSource is probably the most dangerous source loading command AviSynth offers.. and in my own experience the most error prone.
Old 6th January 2006, 16:11   #12  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

show commandline

not updating: turbo 2pass - 1st pass and 3pass- 1st pass
3: When selecting turbo, Show Commandline does update, then when disable it does not set previous state back
Same goes for automated pass 2 and 3, not sure how it should update on that thouigh.
Old 6th January 2006, 16:24   #13  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

FOURCC and Title update

FourCC for x264.exe is not used, is it?
How is it used, and if its used should show commandline update?

When you click config the title says: x264 Codec Configuration, i think that should be:
1 x264 Configuration or
2 x264 Encoder Configuration, but id go for option 1
Old 6th January 2006, 16:30   #14  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r
When you click config the title says: x264 Codec Configuration, i think that should be:
1 x264 Configuration or
2 x264 Encoder Configuration, but id go for option 1
Done (option 2) for x264, snow and xvid.

EDIT: i forgot lavc... updated now.

Also fourCC is not a x264 option so it will not be shown in x264 command line.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 6th January 2006 at 16:50.
Old 6th January 2006, 16:30   #15  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

Done what? title or fourcc explaination?

Edit your previous post, then ill delete this msg, to keep this thread clean.
Old 6th January 2006, 16:55   #16  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob0r
not updating: turbo 2pass - 1st pass and 3pass- 1st pass
3: When selecting turbo, Show Commandline does update, then when disable it does not set previous state back
Same goes for automated pass 2 and 3, not sure how it should update on that thouigh.
This is not a bug. Those settings are set to accelerate the first pass when clicking turbo. MeGUI does not remember what happens when one option excludes other ones so you have to manually set them back to what are your preferred values in the second (or third) pass.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 6th January 2006 at 16:57.
Old 6th January 2006, 18:15   #17  |  Link
Romario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Romario's error is "unsupported colorspace YUY2".. I take it that means the input has to be YV12.. it's quite simple to test that.. add a ConverToYV12() at the end of the AviSynth script (check the AviSynth wiki to see if this command is correct just in case). If it's that.. it's definitely not a MeGUI bug but a user error. In fact, MeGUI has nothing to do at all with the fact that it worked in a previous release.. it's an error that comes directly from x264.exe.. so either something changed inside x264.exe, or you changed something at the source/playback filters that are being used via directshowsource. And then there's the thing that you should run mpg files through dgindex anyway.. DirectShowSource is probably the most dangerous source loading command AviSynth offers.. and in my own experience the most error prone.
Thank you for explanation, but could you provide me exact way to convert YUY2 to YV12 output, because I am so new in AviSynth scripts.

Doom9, why DirectShowSource is " probably the most dangerous source loading command AviSynth offers ", can you tell me?

I can tell you that that MPG file worked fine with 0.2.3.1029 build, and I don't change anything in that MPG source file, everything is same as earlier.

It seems that something is changed in x264.exe.
Old 6th January 2006, 18:28   #18  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

as doom9 said add ConverToYV12() at the end of your avisynth script.
Old 6th January 2006, 20:32   #19  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romario
DirectShowSource is " probably the most dangerous source loading command AviSynth offers ", can you tell me?
DirectShowSource is easily the flakiest part of Avisynth, and the bit I wish the Avisynth developers would work on. In many cases it just doesn't work and returns 'the filter graph manager won't talk to me' errors even though DirectShow is quite capable of rendering the file (this even happens if you feed it a filtergraph previously rendered by graphedit...).

If you have an avi file, then Avisource(<filename>) is probably a more robust method of loading it into Avisynth.
Old 14th January 2006, 13:48   #20  |  Link
de66ka

Since I've updated Megui from 02.3.1b to 02.3.2017 the Avisynth Generator doesn't work anymore. It gaves me the error "DGIndex reported......" (see snap1.jpg) when i load the *.d2v file into the generator. When I downgrad again to 02.3.1b all work fine.
Attached Images

Closed Thread