Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 6th September 2011, 18:16   #1  |  Link
Gerry62
TV Guy

Some strange Chroma issues on VHS slow & Fast feilds

Hi,
Friend sent me a tape for transferring onto Blu-Ray as its not available on any format, Tape recorded late 80's onto cheap stock VHS.

Now the issue is bugging me
Ok what the hell am i talking about?

well, Ive just spent an age grappling with a Tuner based Cap card trying to get proper interlaced YUY2 that could be transcoded to MPG2 or other blu-ray(ish) codecs, Turned out all it needed was a slap of 'Reverse Field Dominance' and all is good. But am seeing some strange chroma lag.

Looks like a field either side of a scene change is slow and fast! with some Chroma bleeding either side of a simple 1 frame cut. Have tried
mergechroma(last,last.selectevery(1,-1))
of no use, even tried a bit of FlaXens VHS filter which seemed to 'smooth' out the chroma layer change, but it then does some DNR which I don't like.

Included is a sample which I simply used
Reverse field dominance and then I shifted the chroma up 2 pixels, and also attached is the raw thing with nothing done.
They are Raw YUY2, and are only sevral frames around a break, will give you a idea on what Im seeing!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MDAO3Y78

Here's a quick Image seq

Frame 1

Frame 2

Frame 3

Frame 4

You should see one 'good' frame either side and 1 sort of blended one in the 'middle' Ive just grabbed one at random, there are other really obvious ones, but just thought Id see if anyone knows what I'm talking about first!

Oh and I want to keep the material Interlaced, so not interested in any De-interlacing methods!

Last edited by Gerry62; 6th September 2011 at 18:20.
Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote