Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 14th February 2007, 04:35   #1  |  Link
metabaron

Splitting problem with VOBBlanker

What I basically do is split the movie in 2 parts with VOBBlanker. I am encountering a problem with some movies using this technique.
The last cell of the first part is played out with a frame from the next cell that should have been blanked. I check the movie in split window and that cell does not contain anything from next cell.
Not sure what is happening here? I try playing the cell in split mode and I again I don't see any frame from next cell when it comes to the end.
metabaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 06:02   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The VobBlanker preview shows only the I frames. This means that you cannot see the very last frames of the last GOP. IMO, if there is a frame from the last cell, it's because the starting point of the cell has not been set correctly by the authoring program.

You might try to cut the last GOP of the last cell with VobBlanker.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 14:55   #3  |  Link
metabaron

You are right. It looks like the starting points have not been set properly (actually if I play the last few seconds of the cell I can see that 'next' frame). Could this be a problem with ripping tool? I use DVD Fab Decrypter. It's default setting is to skip on errors which, as I found out could cause problems like this. I have changed this option a while ago and I have even re-ripped the movie. I compared the files (by doing the cksum) to the previous files and they are the same.
So, what I do now is I split the cell just before the last frame on the selected disc split point. That small cell then goes to the next disc. It's a 2 step process with VOBBlanker though which takes time.
metabaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 16:15   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by metabaron View Post
Could this be a problem with ripping tool?
I don't think so. The GOPs are built by the MPEG encoder, and cannot be modified by a ripper or any other editing app without reencoding and remuxing. It's probably due to an human error, or a bug of the encoder. I've seen many cheap DVDs with really wrong chapter points (up to several seconds out!)

Anyway, you know how to fix it. IMO, it is probably sufficient to delete the last GOP of disc 1 entirely, as you will lose only 1/2 second or so, and it's faster, but your method is more elegant.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote