Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th September 2011, 16:55   #5221  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
If it was supported does that mean we could render it with madVR?
no idea, probably not.
Old 4th September 2011, 20:45   #5222  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
With a fast software decoder (and a fast CPU), 250 frames shouldn't be a big issue. On my system, decoding 250 frames takes about 1 second, and thats the worst case, but i do see longer seeking delays on some files, so i know that something else is going wrong, and i already have some ideas what, and i do plan to look into that soon.
With a hardware decoder, those 250 frames can take a few seconds to decode though (they typically top out around 70-80 fps on 1080p), so a higher delay is certainly possible.

Thanks for the sample, the problem is easily reproducible, that should make fixing much easier.
The problem is that it doesn't seem to be playback speed related. For example, imagine a file with keyframes at frames 1000 and 1250. Before the seek I was in frame 500. If I seek to frame 1100, it seeks instantly to frame 1100 and audio plays from there. But the screen freezes with frame 500 until, at normal playback speed, frame 1250 is reached. Then video is resumed. This can perfectly be 5+ seconds of screen freeze while audio is playing in the back. With other splitters you can clearly see that previous frames are decoded very fast until you reach frame 1100 as you say, or that they seek instantly to it, with LAVS it seems that it just waits until the keyframe is reached, then resumes playback. Pure speculation right here, but that is what it looks like.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 20:49   #5223  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.34
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Improve playback of VC-1 in EVO
- Support for SSA subtitles in AVI
- Support for H264 in VFW mode in MKV

LAV Video
- New optimized pixel format converters (faster and more accurate)
- New YUV->RGB converter
- Support for PNG video
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

I finished implementing the YUV -> RGB converter and all important YUV -> YUV converters. There are quite some significant speed ups in this version, especially if you're dealing with dithering (10bit content, 8bit output).

RGB
The new RGB converter is also working nicely, using bilinear interpolation and high-precision RGB conversion.
It supports the BT.601, BT.709 and SMPTE 240M transfer matrices, and properly handles both TV and PC range input and output. I did not add options to configure the input format (levels/matrix), because i do hope that files are properly encoded. I wouldn't want to switch that setting around on every file i play, now would i.

Quality
In theory, its mathematically slightly more accurate then ffdshows HQ RGB option. In reality, i couldn't detect any difference between the two. Note that LAV Video uses the proper chroma siting for H264/MPEG2, while ffdshow seems to assume the "old" chroma siting used by MPEG1/H263. This is a very minor difference, and like i said, i didn't see the difference.

Performance
The converter itself is really fast, and in addition its also multi-threaded. I did get performance numbers slightly above ffdshows values out of it, and any modern system should be able to use it fluidly.

Features
In addition to all the "usual" features, it supports native 9/10-bit input, without any notable degredation. It can output TV or PC range, or an untouched range (as the YUV was). I decided to set the default to PC range, because thats how most other filters and renderers work. It'll also let the renderer know which range is used, however only madVR understands this hint as of now.

Now, why would you use RGB instead of native YUV output?
The thing is that alot of renderes by default have a pretty bad chroma upsampling. I'm talking about EVR/VMR here, the "trusted" default renderes on every Windows system. They usually rely on the GPU to actually convert the YUV to RGB, and the quality of that process leaves alot to be desired. So with EVR/VMR, it can give you a quality boost if you actually use RGB. With a modern renderer like madVR, its usually not recommended to use RGB, unless you have a post-processing filter that requires it.

Note that converting interlaced YUV to RGB will stop the deinterlacing process from working!

Anyhow, i hope everything works fine, and i can focus on other things again. All these converters was a nice exercise in assembler/intrinsics, but at some point, you just have enough of those.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th September 2011 at 10:48.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 20:56   #5224  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
The problem is that it doesn't seem to be playback speed related. For example, imagine a file with keyframes at frames 1000 and 1250. Before the seek I was in frame 500. If I seek to frame 1100, it seeks instantly to frame 1100 and audio plays from there. But the screen freezes with frame 500 until, at normal playback speed, frame 1250 is reached. Then video is resumed. This can perfectly be 5+ seconds of screen freeze while audio is playing in the back. With other splitters you can clearly see that previous frames are decoded very fast until you reach frame 1100 as you say, or that they seek instantly to it, with LAVS it seems that it just waits until the keyframe is reached, then resumes playback. Pure speculation right here, but that is what it looks like.
Yeah i've seen that symptom, not 100% sure why its happening, but i have some ideas how to check whats really going on.
I'll focus on that over the next weeks, its been too long on my list.
Old 4th September 2011, 21:19   #5225  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
I'm not sure if this is 100% LAV-related but it brings MPC-HC down to its knees whereas its internal filters work fine.
Here are the steps to reproduce:
1. http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...iquid_1080.exe
2. Make sure "Rewind when done playing" is disabled in MPC-HC.
3. Start playback, seek to the near end of the video, wait until playback stops.
4. Now start playback by clicking on the video or pressing Space key.
5. Result: With MPC's internal filters/splitters, playback restarts as expected. Using LAVFilters, MPC-HC freezes 2 out of 3 times.

My setup: madVR 0.74 (windowed mode), LAV 0.33 (default settings), MPC-HC 3694.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Edit: I narrowed it down to LAVVideo. If it's disabled, restarts are OK.
Just wanted to confirm that this issue is fixed in 0.34.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 22:25   #5226  |  Link
fairchild

Thanks for the update Nev! I have a quick question which I tried searching for in this thread but didn't find anything on it. Regarding the setting "Use High-Quality Format Conversions", under what scenarios would enabling this option which is disabled by default benefit me?

I'm guessing this setting is more for a scenario where I run solely LAV Video decoder > EVR. As I'm running ffdshow raw video filter to get YADIF deinterlacing + MadVR, then this setting wouldn't do anything for me correct?

Thanks again for an awesome set of filters!
Old 4th September 2011, 22:27   #5227  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Yeah i've seen that symptom, not 100% sure why its happening, but i have some ideas how to check whats really going on.
I'll focus on that over the next weeks, its been too long on my list.
To make things worse, sometimes when it freezes it doesn't recover, a player restart is required. Hope you can nail it down.

BTW, congrats on the new converters, massive work right there. Everything seems to be working just fine, and the YUV->RGB one is even faster than ffdshow's!
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 00:20   #5228  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
@ pirlouy, this is what works over here:
1) dis-able "uncompressed" in the audio decoder
2) en-able "uncompressed" in the audio processor
3) with Graphstudio, or RadLight Filter Manager, set the merit of the audio processor to 0x00800000 or greater
4) reboot, or logoff and logon
5) enjoy
Thanks for the help.

Thanks to another computer, I've found the problem: when I double click on "ffdshow audio processor" in MPC external filters, the options window does NOT open...

I've tried to rename the registry for ffdshow, without success. I'll do tests soon in order to fix this...
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 05:52   #5229  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Thanks for the update Nev! I have a quick question which I tried searching for in this thread but didn't find anything on it. Regarding the setting "Use High-Quality Format Conversions", under what scenarios would enabling this option which is disabled by default benefit me?
That option really isn't all that useful anymore.
It controls swscale and its scalers, switching them into high-quality mode. But swscale is only used if no hand-optimized converter is found.

So it'll only be used for very rare combinations of formats, which i didn't optimize manually. All of the new converters always use the highest quality, because they are fast as it is.

In conclusion, i really cannot say when it'll be beneficial. I might even remove it again, and turn it on by default. It really only was for RGB conversion before, but i wrote my own now ..
Old 5th September 2011, 10:06   #5230  |  Link
Master_T

Both PotPlayer and MPC-HC had been giving me some annoying audio crackling with FFmpeg filters and HD videos on my laptop, I guess because it's not very powerful and it couldn't "keep up", but I switched to LAV filters today and both audio and video are smooth as silk! So, this post is just to thank you for your work, these filters are awesome, and so are the developers... keep it up!
Master_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:38   #5231  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

when selecting certain .mpls or .m2ts files in explorer (mostly not the main movie files/playlist, but others as it seems), theres sometimes a long time of wait and cpu load, before I can do anything else. why is that? (got LAV splitter, mediainfo, haali installed)

has it to do with the general readability of the playlist/file, in regards of which audio/video tracks it includes? or maybe with the number of .m2ts files a playlist includes?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 5th September 2011 at 10:41.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 13:56   #5232  |  Link
blaster00

How to set audio to stereo in LAV audio decoder?
And a render problem with mpc-hc http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...30#post1523830
blaster00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:14   #5233  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster00 View Post
How to set audio to stereo in LAV audio decoder?
LAV Audio has no mixing capabilities yet.
You can use the Windows mixer or ffdshow (in raw mode) to mix the channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster00 View Post
Looks like a MPC-HC subtitles rendering bug. Has nothing to do w/ LAV Filters.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:07   #5234  |  Link
CruNcher

@nev
you should keep an eye on this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1523826
it currently crashes a lot with *.ts files it gets via Lav Splitter unfortunately (funny is all of those crashy ones work with MPC-HC Internal Splitter though some of them have no audio in the end like the Portuguese Latm samples that also crash it, those with the wrong Audio track ids)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 5th September 2011 at 16:12.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:08   #5235  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its based on ffdshow, i don't expect it to do anything BUT crash.
Old 5th September 2011, 17:42   #5236  |  Link
BloodySword

Quote:
Its based on ffdshow, i don't expect it to do anything BUT crash.
He said, that when used with MPC-HC splitters it works.
But that must not be a mistake in you splitter.
Just like the thing with AAC. FFDShow expects init data.
BloodySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 18:26   #5237  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi nev,
Have a question to the RGB converter output settings. In which typical scenarios you generally recommend to use 16-235 / 0-255 / untouched?
Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 18:51   #5238  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Hi nev,
Have a question to the RGB converter output settings. In which typical scenarios you generally recommend to use 16-235 / 0-255 / untouched?
Thanks
If you use EVR, you either want 16-235 or 0-255, depends on which level your screen expects. PCs are generally always 0-255, TVs are 16-235, but some TV models also take 0-255. If you don't know, get some black level calibration pattern and test the two modes. Changes should be immediate.

For madVR, you should not use RGB at all, just leave all YUV modes checked, and it should not matter.
If for some arcane reason you do want RGB with madVR, untouched is probably best.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:55   #5239  |  Link
CruNcher

@nev
sorry i was to optimistic there is a major drawback with ffdshow-quicksync it seems to be a direct native Intel API implementation like Nvcuvid not DXVA2 and the overhead is too huuuuuge for a small HD2000 and imho even questionable for general playback purposes @ all

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...06#post1523906

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 5th September 2011 at 19:05.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 19:12   #5240  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
LAV Filters 0.34
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Improve playback of VC-1 in EVO
- Support for SSA subtitles in AVI
- Support for H264 in VFW mode in MKV

LAV Video
- New optimized pixel format converters (faster and more accurate)
- New YUV->RGB converter
- Support for PNG video
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit
Will you include a sub renderer in a next version?
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter