Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2013, 21:58   #1521  |  Link
Johnnyas

The clip(s) are getting the x264 treatment right now. Will check the transition points to see if the trimpoints are noticeable. If they are, I'll try it with the +/- 50 frames first I guess - would take the work out of finding a good spot to do it

Right now, it looks like the combined time to process both operations will be around 43 hours. Thats much faster than any of my attempts with MT would have finished on (by at least a day actually)
Old 1st May 2013, 22:18   #1522  |  Link
kolak

For QTGMC deinterlacing on many core CPU you can try MP_Pipeline with branching option. It's slower than splitting into many processes, but all in one go and piece
Also- anything above fast for HD is overkill, very fast is enough in most cases.

Last edited by kolak; 1st May 2013 at 22:21.
Old 1st May 2013, 22:31   #1523  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Also- anything above fast for HD is overkill, very fast is enough in most cases.
That's a very good point. I only noticed now that Johnnyas is using "very slow" which is painful even with the fastest CPUs for HD resolutions. I also have seen very good results with "Medium" and "Fast" presets. Not to mention that the memory requirements will most likely be lower.
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:07   #1524  |  Link
SamKook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
That is far from true if you care about the size of the resulting file. Slower presets will make a noticeably smaller file if using CRF with x264.

For HD, I usually use very slow paired with the source match and lossless settings in qtgmc and veryslow with x264. I also use setmemorymax(1200) which I found was the most stable on my pc with those settings and split the encode in 4 with setmtmode set to 2 threads each. I also use avs2pipemod to pipe the avs to 64bit x264, mostly for the added stability piping provides since it doesn't seem faster than using the 32bit version.

It usually take a little less than a day to make the lossless encode to FFV1 and a bit over a day for the final 10bit x264 one(so 8bit would be close to half the time) for a 2 hour movie.

Last edited by SamKook; 2nd May 2013 at 01:18.
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:23   #1525  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
That is far from true if you care about the size of the resulting file. Slower presets will make a noticeably smaller file if using CRF with x264.
Hm, I was under the impression that we were talking about QTGMC presets...
Old 2nd May 2013, 02:47   #1526  |  Link
SamKook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Hm, I was under the impression that we were talking about QTGMC presets...
I was, I simply mentioned CRF x264 because it doesn't produce a fixed file size. My statement would have made no sense with a fixed bitrate.

Either way, both slower QTGMC and x264 settings affect file size(or quality at fixed bitrate) by a lot. I wish I would have kept my result from the last time I tested this.
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:07   #1527  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post

For HD, I usually use very slow paired with the source match and lossless settings in qtgmc and veryslow with x264. I also use setmemorymax(1200) which I found was the most stable on my pc with those settings and split the encode in 4 with setmtmode set to 2 threads each. I also use avs2pipemod to pipe the avs to 64bit x264, mostly for the added stability piping provides since it doesn't seem faster than using the 32bit version.

It usually take a little less than a day to make the lossless encode to FFV1 and a bit over a day for the final 10bit x264 one(so 8bit would be close to half the time) for a 2 hour movie.
Well- it's your workflow.
I would not waste 3x more time for even 25% smaller file size. I assume it's not close to 25% is it?
If it works for you than fine
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:19   #1528  |  Link
SamKook

It indeed depends on your priorities. If I were encoding a lot of them, then I might reconsider how much time I'm willing to spend on it.
I don't care at all how long it takes as long as I can get all I can out of it. Everything is automated anyway once I've tweaked my settings for a particular video and it doesn't affect anything else I do on the computer at the same time so it doesn't bother me.
I've even tried to encode a bluray without splitting it with crazy(and not so good) settings and 21 days later, it finished. I won't do that ever again, but it was a fun experiment.

And I also doubt it's as much as 25%, but I remember being surprised by how much it was. I'll have to try it again when I have the time.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:54   #1529  |  Link
Johnnyas

The files I'm encoding are our home movies, and I encode them to keep like this. Since these will be my archive files, I definately want to do it on the best quality possible (within reason). I know there isn't too much difference between the slower presets on HD (well, at least from medium and slower), but a I'm encoding to keep so, it's not a one-time watch thing. Also, as SamKook, I've seen files get smaller when I've had both QTGMC AND the x264 encoder set at Very Slow, as opposed to Slower on QTGMC/Very Slow on the x264 encoder.
Old 5th May 2013, 13:14   #1530  |  Link
Johnnyas

Just an update here. Have done some testing, and the final renders on this movie at least - and I can't see the points where I join the movies at all, and that was with trimming from the exact frames (as opposed to doing some frames before/after). Very happy with the final results of this, so once again - thanks all!
Old 14th May 2013, 06:33   #1531  |  Link
Chainmax
Huh?

I am trying to use QTGMC with the plugin pack that uses the updated Avisynth 2.6 interface, and these filters from it:

mt_masktools-26

removegrainsse2

mvtools2

fft3dfilter

Gave out an access violation error at an address and attempted to read from 0x00000000. Also, I got an error with nnedi3 that said arg0 needed to be a clip. Replacing these five DLLs with the ones from the original Modded Plugins Package seems to have solved the issues.

What could be the cause of these error messages?
Old 14th May 2013, 06:42   #1532  |  Link
Selur

Quote:
What could be the cause of these error messages?
you replaced the five dlls with the ones from the modded plugins package
(read this thread and you will see that a bunch of people, me included, have problems with the modded plugins)
Old 14th May 2013, 07:14   #1533  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

And if you are using MT 2.60a4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Therefore the "latest" version is a patch for mt_masktools26.dll by 06_taro for AviSynth MT 2.60 alpha 4, not 3.
The frame cache interface changed between 3 and 4.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
Old 27th May 2013, 17:10   #1534  |  Link
aegisofrime

Hi. Rather a noobish question here.

I have a video that MeGUI detects as being of varying field order. How do I handle this with QTGMC?
Old 28th May 2013, 06:09   #1535  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Serious answer:

Never trust an automatical detection. There is always a chance that the samples catch frames with too little changes to detect field changes reliably.

If there is a doubt about the structure, check the video manually by stepping frame-by-frame through a bobbed result (bobbing interpolates fields to whole frames for a convenient display), preceded with both AssumeTFF and AssumeBFF successively, counting how many fields are mostly equal or different over at least 30 fields in a row.

QTGMC is usually only recommendable if you are certain that the material is plain interlaced. For telecined material, use an IVTC plugin instead. And special standard conversions (PAL/NTSC/Film; censorship cover-up) might require custom solutions even...

New German Gleitz board
Old 29th May 2013, 05:15   #1536  |  Link
GMJCZP

After calling the following function:

# Anti-aliasing with contra-sharpening by Didée (thanks to Didée, modded for this case with nnedi3)
# Is required VerticalCleaner
function DAAMod(clip c)
{
nn = c.nnedi3(field=-2)
dbl = mt_average(selecteven(nn),selectodd(nn),U=3,V=3)
dblD = mt_makediff(c,dbl,U=3,V=3)
shrpD = mt_makediff(dbl,dbl.removegrain((width(c)>1100) ? 20 : 14),U=3,V=3).verticalcleaner(mode=2)
DD = shrpD.repair(dblD,9)
return dbl.mt_adddiff(DD,U=3,V=3)
}

I get the following error message:

Avisynth open failure:
nnedi3: arg 0 must be a clip!

The nnedi3 calling is in red.
I was using version 2.6-Vit-nnedi3 (part of plugin pack for testing) and I had to return to the tritical's original version to run the script. I'm using the latest version of Avisynth 2.6.0 MT of SEt 2013.03.09.

Last edited by GMJCZP; 29th May 2013 at 05:18.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:28   #1537  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

The problem might be outside this function, you may be calling DAAMod() with something that isn't a clip (e.g. in a context where the clip is not 'last', but a specific variable), and its parameter is passed on to NNEDI3().

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 29th May 2013 at 09:33.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:57   #1538  |  Link
Gavino
Avisynth language lover

Quote:
The problem might be outside this function, you may be calling DAAMod() with something that isn't a clip
But in that case you would expect to get the error "Invalid arguments to function DAAMod" and it would never get as far as calling nnedi3.
Old 29th May 2013, 20:24   #1539  |  Link
GMJCZP

Quote:
The problem might be outside this function, you may be calling DAAMod() with something that isn't a clip (e.g. in a context where the clip is not 'last', but a specific variable), and its parameter is passed on to NNEDI3().
As I said before, the script works with the old version of nnedi3. I downloaded again the -Vit- modded plugin package of QTGMC (not 2.6 version), but I have not tested the nnedi3 version modded.

-0-
On the other hand, I did something funny. I hung up the VirtualDub is processing a script more than once when appear 5 minutes (I have so configured in my PC) the screen saver. I had the idea of not carrying on the script the old version of nnedi3 (not was calling him!, only put #Load... nnedi3.dll) and incredibly the problem was solved. Coincidence?

Last edited by GMJCZP; 29th May 2013 at 20:26.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:05   #1540  |  Link
pila13

Hello, i need small help with qtgmc + JDL_ApplyRange

I need use this filter only on xxxx of frames, and recive error -

Quote:
"expected a, or ) "
JDL_ApplyRangeOld(6428, 6466, "QTGMC(Preset="placebo").selecteven()") This is example of how i try to use this plugin. Can any one help me ? thnak you.
Closed Thread