Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th September 2003, 15:20   #1  |  Link
oldiexyz

Check / repair .m2v - File

Hi cracks,

I tried to edit and combine several DVDs into one. This means to rip the content (using DVDShrink, as the bitrate is much higher than actually required, and Smartripper or TMPGEnc), and then the problems start with some (! but not all! ) DVDs:

An extracted MPG file (MPEG2 video and AC3-2.0 sound) can be played in correct speed in e.g. PowerDVD, although the "total time" displayed is irrationally high. After demux and immediate (!) remux with TMPGEnc the sound is still in correct speed, but the video is VERY slow (about a third of the correct speed) and so it runs totally out of sync.

There also seem to be problems with the M2V file, as this video cannot be loaded into VideoStudio. Cyberlink's PowerDirector accepts the file but doesn't offer SVRT (the Smart Video Rendering Technology), which ist usually avaliable when the input file(s) have been recognized as valid MPEG2s.

Is there a way you know of to check and repair (I guess, only some timing parameters) of .M2V or MPEG files?

Thanks in anticipation,

I.
oldiexyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2003, 22:37   #2  |  Link
oldiexyz

Anybody an idea

Hi all,

I just reply to my own post to make more current actually... Still hoping to get an answer?!?

Thanks in anticipation fo any clues!

I.
Old 14th September 2003, 23:14   #3  |  Link
oddyseus

There must be something wrong in the procedure u r following, although I can't figure what it is.

I would recommend to extract the portions u want, combine them in one big dvd that actually works and then use dvdshrink to shrink it to writable size.

"when u r aiming for the impossible everything else is within reach." Mike

ps. respect the forum rules, read, search and only then post.
oddyseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2003, 21:56   #4  |  Link
oldiexyz

Hi Odysseus,

this is exactly what I'd like to do, but I don't know how to cut / edit the original DVDs. All tools I own and (think to know how to) use (TMPGEnc, Ulead Video Studio 6, Cyberlink PowerDirector Pro) don't work with AC3-Sound or simply crash when I try to open the "ripped" MPEG2 file.

And, as I said, after demuxing all timing info seems to be gone.

What I COULD do is re-encode the whole movie using one of above mentioned programs using the BeSweet converted mp2 sound, but this would mean beside the time spent a loss in quality. So I'd like to avoid re-encoding as far as possible...

See what I mean?

Thanks,

I.
Old 17th September 2003, 20:06   #5  |  Link
oddyseus

I don't see dvd decrypter in your list of programs. This leads me to believe that u just copy the files to your hd. In most of the cases u will copy just garbage, since all the vobs r encrypted. Furthermore decrypter gives you the option to rip just a portion of the dvd when used in ifo mode. There is a guide about it in the guides section on doom9 site.

After selecting and ripping the parts u want u can follow the 'Joining vobs' guide of ifoedit and make a new dvd. U can find this guide on mpucoder's site or a bunch of threads in the advanced authoring forum.

Old 18th September 2003, 14:34   #6  |  Link
oldiexyz

Hi Odysseus,

OK, this is a newbie section but I'm not THAT dumb... :-) I'm using SmartRipper to extract the files and the original DVDs aren't encrypted anyway...

Yes, I will have a look at the mentioned guide about joining VOBs. Maybe I'll be able to use this. But still I doubt it, because the editing I want to do isn't linked to VOBs, chapters, or cells / angles but just to scenes. And so I still will have to edit a ripped MPEG which consists of broken (?) MPEG2 video and AC3 2.0 sound.

Hell know how the original author may have created these streams and why they can be viewed in the original muxed version without problems but after de- / remux all timing and sync have gone...

Cheers,

I.
Old 18th September 2003, 18:49   #7  |  Link
oddyseus

I am using the following procedure to rip a scene from a dvd when needed.

I rip the dvd to hd in order to decrypt it.
I feed the vobs to dvd2avi
Using the slider and markers I mark the start and the end of the part I want. I set the audio proccess to decode. In the end I get a d2v of the wanting part and a wav file of the corresponding audio.
Using vfapi I make a pseudo-avi of the resulting d2v and I feed it to Premiere along with the audio. Till now I have yet to find a audio/video pair that doesn't sync.
I export the video, reencoding it ofcourse to mpeg2 using CCE Premiere plugin.
If needed I encode the wav audio to ac3 using softencode.

The above provide a pair that is synced always and with the proper headers to author it. Ofcourse u re-encode but for my purposes I would have reencoded anyway, so thats no problem.

Another way is to demux the video, insert it in Maestro timeline and trim the start and end until u have the part u want. Right click on the video and 'Save as mpeg2' and then use the create sync audio feature as many times as the parts u want. This is more tedious, but u don't have to re-encode.

Old 23rd September 2003, 17:12   #8  |  Link
oldiexyz

Hi odysseus,

thanks again for your answer but as far as I can see, most of the tools you are reflecting to are professional programs that I don't own or have access to.

I now finally did what I wanted to avoid: Playback on an stand-alone DVD player, connected to an externel MPEG2 encoder (high bitrate!) and then editing the result.

As expected, the video quality is lower than before, but now I can demux, convert, mix, and remux in perfect sync...

Cheers,

I.