Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th March 2012, 23:18   #12821  |  Link
deado

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Well, depending on your GPU and if you're multi-mon, you can forget about it until the later driver releases, contrary to popular opinion, Win8CP is really just barely a gloried beta. You might disable "aero" and start experimenting with Windowed-mode in the meantime.
GPU is 580, I do have 2 monitors but only showing display on one (not extending).
deado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 00:42   #12822  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by deado View Post
Well I do care because for me, this is the only thing not working in Win 8 - everything else seems to work fine. If there is a solution to it I want to know.

And unfortunately for me, exclusive mode is the ONLY way I get no dropped frames. So it is essential.
Bad news is I asked madshi about this just before the CP came out and he said he did not interest in fixing it now. Good news is he did say he'll fix it when Windows 8 actually come out.

I'm pretty sure about the cause though. Some "windows" that always present make madVR think that there are windows elements that are showing and thus does not go into exclusive mode. Those are Charmbar, Desktop, Start screen, etc.

I occasionally get drop frames, but with ReClock it's very rare and I usually don't notice it when that happen, so I'm good with window mode. I have a similar setup: one LCD, one projector. I use one at a time and not extended/mirrored.

Last edited by Hypernova; 20th March 2012 at 00:50.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 01:23   #12823  |  Link
deado

That is a shame. I would happily donate like $20 to madshi if he could get it working
deado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 01:36   #12824  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by deado View Post
That is a shame. I would happily donate like $20 to madshi if he could get it working
We might try to request an option to turn exclusive mode on regardless of what're on the screen, similar to what MPC-HC has for EVR stuff. I.e. Manual as oppose to automatic exclusive mode. If it's a quick enough job maybe madshi might consider that for the time being.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:44   #12825  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Yeah, without a sample it doesn't make sense to look into it any further. So, 703, here's your chance...
Just to give you an update, upgrading LAV fixed the issue of not being able to read the matrices from upstream for .mp4's.

Btw, what is the difference between "upstream" and "bitstream" ? Is upstream the container?
703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 12:26   #12826  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703 View Post
Btw, what is the difference between "upstream" and "bitstream" ? Is upstream the container?
"Upstream" means the decoder supplied this information, while "bitstream" means madVR figured this out on its own from the format headers of the video.
Old 21st March 2012, 20:12   #12827  |  Link
mark0077

Hi, I got a hang just now seeking in a bdmv. mpc-hc was still responsive, audio continued for a few minutes in the background, just the image froze. Also double clicking on the mpc-hc window to resize to fullscreen, I can see the image doesn't fill the screen so madVR isn't completing the resize to the full width of the screen while in this state.

http://pastebin.com/GTyQ9sAg

I'm using mpc-hc 4164, madVR v0.82.5, LAV from here http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...1-gd935c59.zip

Apologies if it has nothing to with madVR.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 20:34   #12828  |  Link
Nevilne

madshi, would it be possible to separate start of file delay and seek delay option?
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 21:06   #12829  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
madshi, would it be possible to separate start of file delay and seek delay option?
There's no justifiable reason for those two things to be separate options. The reason you want to delay playback anywhere in the file is for someone who doesn't want ANY frames dropped even when they are seeking. The same person, 9 times out of 10 ALSO doesn't want any frames to be dropped or delayed at the start of playback.

Very few people will start playing a file and not seek or change some player option or fullscreen the video throughout playback from start to finish.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 21:23   #12830  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
So I noticed something...my 2600Pro is able to run the 1080p movies great if I uncheck the option to go to exclusive mode when going to full screen then there are no hiccups, the movie runs smoothly all the way. I wonder what that option does and what am I missing..
?
So previously, for this question we determined I was better off using then fullscreen not exclusive mode.
But now I was given information that it seems means I am not really using Madvr at all.

"the dxva native option wont work with madvr"
dxva is the only option that runs smoothly with my hd2600 pro.

So is that true? Am I not really getting any benefits?
Thanks
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 21:49   #12831  |  Link
Nevilne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
There's no justifiable reason for those two things to be separate options.
Justifiable selfish reason: I never have any artifacts or frame drops on seeks, but plenty of times with playback start (external hdds, reclock being nice, avisynth scripts and so on).

New version noticeably delays playback after seek, and I've always used low queues.
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 23:20   #12832  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Justifiable selfish reason: I never have any artifacts or frame drops on seeks, but plenty of times with playback start (external hdds, reclock being nice, avisynth scripts and so on).

New version noticeably delays playback after seek, and I've always used low queues.
Actually, you're right. I don't have any dropped frames on seeking either. Looks like I just needed to adjust my queue settings.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 04:18   #12833  |  Link
CruNcher

@madshi

Seems Nvidia changed something very massively in the upcoming new 300 series Driver people report MadVr brakes entirely with a Black Screen http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=360359
Though i dunno if they might left FXAA enabled and that Shader interferes with MadVR instead of just blurring everything causing a black screen possible

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 22nd March 2012 at 04:23.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 05:53   #12834  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

If the 300.99 Kepler drivers are causing madVR a black screen, I'd suspect it would have something to do with the new VSync modes, Adaptive VSync, and other VSync enhancements in that driver.

Edit: Looks like 301.10 Kepler drivers are out now as well.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 22nd March 2012 at 11:59.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 07:26   #12835  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, I caught a crash I believe to be MadVR related. It happened on initial playback in MPC.
I just now had another MPC crash with an abnormal termination error window being displayed, the video and audio was still playing but the video output was playing back in slow stages as if the CPU was being stressed.
I also get crashes when the next file is played in the folder which is most likely the same issue, using LAV with QuickSync and MPC build 4170.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?o5o29wnxj329lc3

*Edit* The crash was most likely not MadVR related, I'm no longer having any issues.

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd April 2012 at 02:25.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:07   #12836  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
If the 300.99 Kepler drivers are causing madVR a black screen, I'd suspect it would have something to do with the new VSync modes, Adaptive VSync, and other VSync enhancements in that driver.
I don't think so, it happens also with fully disabled vsync.
FXAA shouldn't be a problem neither, I suppose.
Nvidia is aware of the issue but it should be faster if madshi takes a look, I guess.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:48   #12837  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I don't believe you can fully disable VSync with madVR, at least in Windowed mode. A couple ways I could see madVR producing a black screen is if NVIDIA changed how the default D3D buffer flipping (VSYNC) modes function, or flat-out broke refresh-rate/scan-line reading. Hopefully it's nothing more serious like broken texture uploading/downloading.

Even if NVIDIA is aware of the issue, they don't always have a quick turnaround releasing driver fixes. Has anybody tested 301.10 yet? Same issue?

Edit: I wonder is this even occurs with an actual GTX 680. Supposedly Adaptive VSync is only supposed to work with GTX 680, but people claimed to be using it with other cards. It's possible madVR not working is just a case of people incorrectly modifying the inf, and installing driver features which are unsupported by their hardware.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 22nd March 2012 at 14:35.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:22   #12838  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
yes, I already asked for this...for the very same reasons as you ^^
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:32   #12839  |  Link
mbordas

Can somebody do a little sanity check for me on this file:

https://rapidshare.com/files/2764315045/clip_0.wtv

It's a plain vanilla video recording, but regardless of whether I set deinterlacing: if in doubt activate, or automatic source detection: force film mode, I get the same result - it leaves the display in 60hz and leaves deinterlacing off. I can manually turn on deinterlacing or IVTC from the keyboard, but I can't tell if that results in a better picture. What's the preferred behavior in this case?
mbordas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 17:35   #12840  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
I don't believe you can fully disable VSync with madVR, at least in Windowed mode.
AFAIR it's possible via Nvidia driver.
Forced off means off, no matter what applications want.
Even in windowed mode.
With AMD forcing Vsync off doesn't work.

Quote:
Even if NVIDIA is aware of the issue, they don't always have a quick turnaround releasing driver fixes. Has anybody tested 301.10 yet? Same issue?
That's why I said it'd be better if madshi took a look.
301.10 is affected too.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling