Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2006, 10:16   #1  |  Link
mrdez
dez

Guide: HOW TO: Encode DVD to XviD using GK

This Tutorial/ Guide will show you how to Rip and Encode DVD to XviD with Lame MP3 and using Gordian Knot <3

Tools:
[*]Gordian Knot Codec Pack 1.9
[*]Gor dian Knot Rip Pack 0.35.0
[*]Lame MP3
[*]DVD Decrypter

I didnt post the Tutorial here because I think it too long so I made it as PDF file so you can dl it :P

Edit: Working links

Last edited by mrdez; 22nd September 2007 at 09:14.
mrdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 10:40   #2  |  Link
Dams

It aims to encode what type of movie, and what are the target (quality and size ?)
Old 5th December 2006, 10:46   #3  |  Link
mrdez
dez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dams View Post
It aims to encode what type of movie, and what are the target (quality and size ?)
It aims to encode DVD to XviD and the target are to be decide on the length of the movie .. eg 1 hr 30 mins ususally 700 mb or 1 hr 45 mins or more is 1400 mb .. please read the tutorial first mate

Last edited by mrdez; 5th December 2006 at 10:51.
Old 5th December 2006, 15:59   #4  |  Link
Dams

Well, I've read it , and I've found some things to change :
* add more information on resolution (min, max, comparaison with targeted size ..)
* add information on Xvid setting !! -> it is the goal of this tutorial, don't you ?

that resembles the tutorial of doom9 too much
Old 9th December 2006, 12:10   #5  |  Link
mrdez
dez

Well .. it is my tutorial but thanks .. i'll rls an update for it soon
Old 9th December 2006, 13:33   #6  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

Why do you downmix audio to 44.1kHz? Surely it's not a good idea if the output is a computer file...
Changing the resolution til the AR error is as close to 0% is also not a good idea in my opinion. You would be better to encode to the highest resolution possible.
check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 14:41   #7  |  Link
spanky123

The Subtitle ripping and Video Splitting parts seem good (although I've never tried)

The DVD to XviD part seems good too. Just one question. How come you encode the audio seperately first ?
I would've thought that if you do decide to encode audio first (like you have done), then where you select Audio 160kbps (in the GK Bitrate Tab), you should probably select 'size' and choose the audio file to get a more accurate file size. That way, you don't have to choose a file size 8 MB less to be safe. It should be within 1 MB of the chosen file size every time (from experience)

Also, you should definetly put in something about properly configuring the XviD Encoder settings (especially seeing as you're using Scene standards for almost everything else). Make sure they get max compatibility or max quality, coz the default XviD is very average in both aspects.

Another thing, you haven't mentioned the bits/pixel*frame value down the bottom, which is very important. In fact, you're resolution could and probably should be a bit bigger. The bits/(pixel*frame) value doesn't need to be as high as .299 (which is what yours seems to be at). That's just overkill IMO (unless you're encoding sport or some very intense, high action footage). But then again, that's my opinion. You should atleast explain what it means and the importance of it

Last thing, the final step where you get Nandub out to mux audio is just unecessary imo.
Back in the "Gordian Knot: DivX Control Panel" you could've just selected 'Audio 1' tab and then selected the already encoded audio file and chosen 'Just Mux'. Then VirtualDubMod would automatically mux it with the video once it's done

And why don't you select 'split file into cd's' instead of doing it manually later on ?

Hope something that I've written helps
spanky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 21:19   #8  |  Link
mrdez
dez

Thanks for your many suggestion guys .. I'll included this in my update tutorial ... When I did the tutorial I was in a rush because some of my friends wanted it. But in the update I'll included everything and your suggestion
Old 9th December 2006, 23:21   #9  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

There are lots of "why don't you _____ instead of _____" comments about this tutorial that would cause me to never recommend it to anyone. The last official Gordian Knot guide may be outdated and a little vague, but yours has seriously overcomplicated the process.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 06:14   #10  |  Link
mrdez
dez

Well .. I tried to get the best quality so yeah .. but it seem that I didnt put enough time into the tutorial .. Well if you guys have any suggestion for my update that I'll be doing soon .. dont hesitate to PM me
I'll appreciate very much for your help and I hope to included you guys in my update tutorial