Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 8th June 2002, 08:35   #1  |  Link
bjfacca

Noise, *lots* of noise and my ugly face :).

I have this old home video of me and my girlfriend (not what you're thinking), it has great sentimental value to me and it's looking horrible, I have never seen so much noise in a recording.
I would really like to improve the image quality but as you can see in the image I attached it's hard/impossible do remove all that noise, I already tried the following VirtualDub filters: 2d cleaner, temporal smoother, denoise, flaxen's VHS filter, dynamic noise reduction, smart smoother, smart smoother high quality, spatial smoother and video de-noise.
I got some improvement in the image with some of them but no significant improvement, I've been testing and tweaking filters for 3 days now and nothing
Any ideas on how I could reduce the noise? Can this be a dirty VHS tape (my VCR was just cleaned)?
Below is a sample frame:

Thanks
Bruno
bjfacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2002, 08:26   #2  |  Link
Belgabor
VDubMod Devel

As I dont know what you tried, its hard to give advice. But I'll try.

- First, I dont know of any good filter you didnt mention
- Have you tried multiple passes? Like piping a temporal deniose with a 2d one?
- Have you tried multiple instances of filters? (eg one for chroma denoise and another one for luma?)
- Have you tried AVISynth filters? I dont have any experiences with 'em because at the one instance i tried 'em they gave me worse results while taking more time, but that could be diffrent in your case (i was encoding anime)

- No more ideas for the moment

Cheers
Belgabor
Belgabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2002, 08:52   #3  |  Link
bjfacca

Quote:
- Have you tried multiple passes? Like piping a temporal deniose with a 2d one?
Yes I've tried multiple passes, I will try some other combinations that I still didn't.

Quote:
- Have you tried multiple instances of filters? (eg one for chroma denoise and another one for luma?)
I couldn't quite understand the difference between this question and the above one. My english is not very good, sorry.

Quote:
- Have you tried AVISynth filters? I dont have any experiences with 'em because at the one instance i tried 'em they gave me worse results while taking more time, but that could be diffrent in your case (i was encoding anime)
I still didn't try them, I probably will.

Thanks
Bruno Facca

Last edited by bjfacca; 10th June 2002 at 08:54.
Old 10th June 2002, 12:09   #4  |  Link
Didée

It´s hard to decide from only a still snapshot - but indeed, it looks not too easy to get something viewable out of that.

Shot in the dark:
[...]
temporalSmoother(4,2) # from (3,1) up to (5,3) SLOOOOW
SmartSmootherHiQ(diameter[5-13],threshold[20-100],amount[192-254],weighted
[...]

Don´t have the exact SShiQ-syntax handy, here at work ...

If something in this manner won´t suffice, I´d suggest something I made many good experiences with while those billions of hours working on image editing:

1. gaussian blur of the source ´til all the noise is gone
2. (Eventually) sharpen again with unsharp mask
3. Calculate the difference between the blurred image and the original
4. Result of Step 3 gives you the *mask* for the further:
5. very strong denoising (spatial or whatever deals best) in the plain areas
6. Less strong, more detail-preserving denoising in the edge areas

This would require the MaskedMix-feature of avisynth to work correctly. I don´t know if this is the fact atm. Also it would be VERY SLOW, but almost anything is worth and done for sentiment ...

Another idea:
- try the latest WarpSharp directly in Virtualdub (not in avisynth). With its parameter *Blur Passes* you might get sort of effect that could be useful in some way.

Good luck anyway!

[edit] step 3 (the trick in itself) was missing ... [/edit]

Last edited by Didée; 11th June 2002 at 08:10.
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2002, 17:54   #5  |  Link
bjfacca

I see it's time for me to start learning avisinth.
I will sure try that as soon as I get my tapes back in a couple of days and capture it again. I sent them for cleaning, maybe that also helps a lot as they're old tape and are probably dirty.

Thanks Didée, your method sound promising

Bruno
Old 11th June 2002, 08:06   #6  |  Link
Didée

In the hurry of typing, I forgot an additional (and important) step:
- Calculating the difference between blurred and original image gives the desired mask. I will edit the above post immediately.

If I find the time, I will try to set up the complete script for the method ... but **don´t** rely on that, time is a MAJOR issue for me
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 16:16   #7  |  Link
Belgabor
VDubMod Devel

Quote:
Originally posted by bjfacca

I couldn't quite understand the difference between this question and the above one. My english is not very good, sorry.
You're completely right, I wasnt clear and the diffrece is minimal. What I meant was using two diffrent filters in contrast to using the same filter twice with diffrent settings (what I was reffering to is one of the smoother filters where you can enter diffrent settings for luma and chroma noise)

Cheers
Belgabor
Belgabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2002, 18:47   #8  |  Link
bjfacca

Quote:
Originally posted by Didée
If I find the time, I will try to set up the complete script for the method ... but **don´t** rely on that, time is a MAJOR issue for me
I will try to write the script myself, I don't know much about avisynth but I'm learning. It would be nice if you could write it but if you don't have the time don't worry, sooner or later I will do it right Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgabor
You're completely right, I wasnt clear and the diffrece is minimal. What I meant was using two diffrent filters in contrast to using the same filter twice with diffrent settings (what I was reffering to is one of the smoother filters where you can enter diffrent settings for luma and chroma noise)
I already tried using 2 different filters, even 3 and 4 but I didn't try to enter different settings for luma and chroma, sounds like a good idea. Thanks
Old 24th June 2002, 02:20   #9  |  Link
bjfacca

I just wanted to thank you all for your replies and tell you that I will post the results as soon as I get my hands on a VCR for re-capturing, mine are both broken and I still didn't have the time to fix it. I'll let you know.

Bruno Facca