Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th November 2011, 10:05   #10861  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I sincerely cannot wait for madVR v1.0 so that I can donate for the continued development and support of this superior renderer.
With ya on that, I'm really waiting for the better upscaling algorithms which will probably come right when it hits 1.0.
I wonder if Madshi plans to create a paid build with extra features?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 11:22   #10862  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That would explain why it works so well. Sweet. I haven't been using ReClock for a while now. The Video Clock feature provides everything I need.
Is this video clock feature a part of the internal media player of mc17?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 11:33   #10863  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
Is this video clock feature a part of the internal media player of mc17?
Yup - just check the box in Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings --> Video Clock
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 16:21   #10864  |  Link
Budtz

I have madvr set to present 12 frames in advance. The queue starts out at 11-12 then slowly over time it drops to about 1-3. Is this normal? I have a very fast pc btw so it should not be lack of power. Also I seem to get a dropped frame or something every half an hour. But madvr does not report any dropped frames or glithces. Does this mean my tv is dropping frames? I have noticed it also happens sometimes with my blyray player. but not when wathing tv. Its a brand new samsung tv. seems strange that it can't show a simple movie without messing it up.
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 19:20   #10865  |  Link

Out of interest, is there any way to get madVR working with 3D Blu-rays? I've tried playing one in MPC-HC, and it just displays in 2D?

I didn't really care before, as 3D isn't very good on my LCD but I hope to get one of those new Sony OLED 3D headsets soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
I'm eagarly awaiting for DVD playback to work with it in Win 7 and above (without DLL hacks).
With a filter list of:
LAV Splitter Source
LAV Audio Decoder
ffdshow Video Decoder (make sure that "DVD decoding" is checked for the MPEG2 codec)
You should be able to play DVDs with madVR in MPC-HC using the "open disc" command. (set madVR as the video renderer, and I use ReClock for the audio renderer)

In ffdshow's video output options, make sure the only supported colorspaces are YV12/NV12 and the "set interlaced flag in output media type" is enabled.

Edit: looks like LAV Splitter isn't necessary for DVDs.
My full filter list is currently:
LAV Splitter Source
LAV Video Decoder (with CUDA enabled)
LAV Audio Decoder
ffdshow Audio Processor (to downmix audio)
ffdshow Video Decoder (DVD Playback only)

Last edited by 6233638; 14th November 2011 at 19:36.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 20:19   #10866  |  Link
THX-UltraII

And is the mc17 internal player just as good asmpchc and can madvr and lav filters be used?
Old 14th November 2011, 20:29   #10867  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
And is the mc17 internal player just as good asmpchc and can madvr and lav filters be used?
I tried this out last night after hearing that it uses the madVR video clock for sync, rather than its own calculated sync as ReClock does. It seemed pretty good, but the UI for configuring things was fairly complex, and I didn't see a way to check that audio was being decoded correctly, for example.

The biggest issue I had was that it runs madVR in windowed mode so that they can use their own player controls for video files (which I personally thought were rather ugly) and I still have the problem where changing resolution on file launch has madVR playing back everything at what appears to be half the framerate or less in windowed mode until I bring up the madVR preferences dialogue or go into FSE.

When you enable fullscreen exclusive mode, the madVR seek bar doesn't work in their player, and mousing to the edge kicks you back to windowed mode.

The main reason I decided to try it out though, was their mention of advanced downmixing and crossfeed functions for headphone use (I only use headphones) but those controls don't seem to apply with Blu-ray playback.

Edit: Oh, and when I uninstalled it, it removed ffdshow from my system which I wasn't too happy about.

Last edited by 6233638; 14th November 2011 at 20:37.
Old 14th November 2011, 20:52   #10868  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Out of interest, is there any way to get madVR working with 3D Blu-rays? I've tried playing one in MPC-HC, and it just displays in 2D?

I didn't really care before, as 3D isn't very good on my LCD but I hope to get one of those new Sony OLED 3D headsets soon.

With a filter list of:
LAV Splitter Source
LAV Audio Decoder
ffdshow Video Decoder (make sure that "DVD decoding" is checked for the MPEG2 codec)
You should be able to play DVDs with madVR in MPC-HC using the "open disc" command. (set madVR as the video renderer, and I use ReClock for the audio renderer)

In ffdshow's video output options, make sure the only supported colorspaces are YV12/NV12 and the "set interlaced flag in output media type" is enabled.

Edit: looks like LAV Splitter isn't necessary for DVDs.
My full filter list is currently:
LAV Splitter Source
LAV Video Decoder (with CUDA enabled)
LAV Audio Decoder
ffdshow Audio Processor (to downmix audio)
ffdshow Video Decoder (DVD Playback only)
LAV Splitter Source does not "split" IFO titles and playback DVD's. The only navigation filters that can do that are MS's qdvd.dll, libdvdnav, and dslibdvdnav. Of the three dslibdvdnav seems to fix a couple of problems that MS's nav filter has had forever. Yet it still has some bugs to work out.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 21:47   #10869  |  Link
Gser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
Not smooth. Every other frame is doubled.
I am experiencing the same thing with my 5870. No bobbed deinterlacing.
Gser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 22:11   #10870  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Old 14th November 2011, 22:15   #10871  |  Link
SamuriHL

Didn't you already post that question? IMO, the MC17 player is better than anything else out there for a variety of reasons. First, they developed their own subtitle renderer that works with madVR. Second, they have their own private copies of madVR, LAV Filters, and ffdshow and if you use their Red October feature, will automagically configure each one for you. (I agree with whoever said the madVR defaults aren't sufficient. I've made that point to JRiver, as well, and hopefully they will change it at some point. Window mode no workie for me either, but, I override their defaults with my own. ) Anyway, madshi and Nev have both worked with the JRiver developers to make their product work exceptionally well with LAV Filter and madVR.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:23   #10872  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
I found it interesting that madVR says "deinterlacing off (framerate)", when using the internal decoder, and reports the framerate as 59.940

[...]

BTW: The issue with madVR reporting 59.940 only happens with the internal madVR decoder and Haali. Using the internal decoder with LAV Splitter shows a framerate of 29.970 (but the non-smoothness is still present).
Which Haali version are you using? I've tried the current from Haali's own homepage and also the one shipping with CoreAVC 3.0.1. I can't reproduce this problem with either Haali version. Are you using a different one? If so, can you check whether the problem goes away with the latest Haali version?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 23:52   #10873  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Which Haali version are you using? I've tried the current from Haali's own homepage and also the one shipping with CoreAVC 3.0.1. I can't reproduce this problem with either Haali version. Are you using a different one? If so, can you check whether the problem goes away with the latest Haali version?
Sorry madshi, the problem was with the files. Running them through eac3to revealed that the container framerate was wrong.

I think I used the same program to edit/mux several files - which just happened to be files I was using to test the new deinterlacing feature.

Again, sorry for the mistake.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 01:29   #10874  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I tried this out last night after hearing that it uses the madVR video clock for sync, rather than its own calculated sync as ReClock does. It seemed pretty good, but the UI for configuring things was fairly complex, and I didn't see a way to check that audio was being decoded correctly, for example.
Yup there is alot packed in MC17 and finding it all for a newbie is not easy. If you bring up the DSP you can see how the audio is being decoded and the various processing that can be applied. You need to add the arcsoft dtsdecoderdll.dll if you want full DTS-HD decoding but apart from that it is all good.

Quote:
The biggest issue I had was that it runs madVR in windowed mode so that they can use their own player controls for video files (which I personally thought were rather ugly) and I still have the problem where changing resolution on file launch has madVR playing back everything at what appears to be half the framerate or less in windowed mode until I bring up the madVR preferences dialog or go into FSE.
Most of us just change it to FSE mode by right clicking on the playing video --> Direct Show Filters --> madvr and config as you like. The issues with Windowed mode have been raised by the devs of MC with madshi.

Quote:
When you enable fullscreen exclusive mode, the madVR seek bar doesn't work in their player, and mousing to the edge kicks you back to windowed mode.
When playing the video in MC17 try using the arrow keys and it will bring up a seek bar, title, chapter, stream selection etc etc and it works in both Windowed and FSE mode (specifically written to work with madvr in FSE).

Quote:
The main reason I decided to try it out though, was their mention of advanced downmixing and crossfeed functions for headphone use (I only use headphones) but those controls don't seem to apply with Blu-ray playback.
Any decoded audio (regardless of source) is pushed through the DSP as long as Tools --> Options --> Video --> General Video Settings --> Bitstreaming is set to "None" and Tools --> Options --> Video --> Advanced --> Audio playback device: Same as device used in audio playback. These are both the default settings so the DSP should be active (and you can bring it up while playing and see it working).

Quote:
Edit: Oh, and when I uninstalled it, it removed ffdshow from my system which I wasn't too happy about.
Now this one I don't get as MC does not install FFDSHOW, it does put a copy in C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\ffdshow but it calls it programatically like the other filters and does not rely on it being "installed". Edit - also with developments in madVR and LAV Video I don't know how long FFDSHOW will still be used....

Last edited by jmone; 15th November 2011 at 01:35.
Old 15th November 2011, 03:36   #10875  |  Link

Thanks for the reply, looks like I missed a couple of things then, I'll give it another try. It was telling me that it couldn't apply any of the DSP settings to current playback.
It may not have uninstalled ffdshow, but unregistered it? It was no longer showing up in MPC-HC after I uninstalled MC17.

I'm definitely interested in trying the headphone-related features, and it will be good if it works well as a library manager for films. I've yet to find anything for that, that I have liked using.
Old 15th November 2011, 04:34   #10876  |  Link
jmone

It should not have unregistered FFDSHOW either. The only think it does is add some registry entries about the custom profile to load but who knows, I've not uninstalled it to test!

Also with the DSP, all things can be setup while nothing is playing, though some things can also be changed dynamically during playback so you can hear the effect. Items that can not be changed during playback is stuff like Output Format (makes sence really).
Old 15th November 2011, 05:43   #10877  |  Link
dansrfe

madshi,

I'm not sure if you've recently read this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153191&page=6 but it is bringing up some interesting point about solving the whole DVD navigation situation and refresh rates so please take a look when you get a chance.

Thanks!
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 07:44   #10878  |  Link
Mark Regalo

I seem to have a problem with minimizing MPC-HC and the video catching up to the audio. The audio also stops after a couple of mins when minimized.
Mark Regalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:04   #10879  |  Link
Alek93j

I have two question:
1)What exactly do the new parameter "scale linar light", when should i use it?
2)Use SoftCubic 70/80 for chroma upscaling look very good and it remove a lot of banding, i wonder if there is a way for obtain the same result with avisynth, maybe it can replace gradfun3 for lower bitrate encoding.

Edit: Sorry i didn't notice than it remove banding with any resize, anyway the "debanding" result look interesting to me.

Last edited by Alek93j; 15th November 2011 at 10:17.
Alek93j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 10:18   #10880  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
If I use madVR in MPC-HC, the OSD font size is twice as large as with other renderers. Which of both would be responsible for the prevention of this issue?
Newer MPC-HC versions ask madVR to draw the OSD, so if the OSD has a too big font size for your taste, you'll have to blame madVR.
So I do here.

I guess madVR doesn't apply a downsampling on the OSD. The background "box" looks aliased too (pixel stairs around the border).

For a comparison: "Arial 10" rendered in madVR and in VMR9 (Windows XP SP3); MPC-HC 1.5.3.3757, madVR 0.78

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling