Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 18th September 2019, 07:25   #8901  |  Link
Lord Dredd
a Hobby Encoder :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
When someone transcodes the processor is doing the same thing for them in real time as megui does for you slowly for more quality.

There is no magic fix. If plex calls for the CPU power it's going to get it ad megui is lower priority.

If plex didnt get it their steam would buffer or hang.

If you want it to go faster you need to look into high core count thread rippers.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I was afraid i was gonna get this reply
Thanks mate
I was under the impression that 2650 would prove to be an awesome choice
May be i need to cancel the subscription.
I guess there is no other way to help it slightly ???
Thanks
Lord Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 14:17   #8902  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dredd View Post
I was afraid i was gonna get this reply

Thanks mate

I was under the impression that 2650 would prove to be an awesome choice

May be i need to cancel the subscription.

I guess there is no other way to help it slightly ???

Thanks
I'm not sure what you are asking. Make your files direct playable if you have the bandwidth and it wont be a problem!

jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 20:32   #8903  |  Link
Merlincool

What does x264 log means.

I mean only the part where there is mention

Quote:
x264 [info]: frame I:1039 Avg QP:14.13 size:133071
x264 [info]: frame P:28114 Avg QP:15.54 size: 57455
x264 [info]: frame B:107619 Avg QP:17.64 size:31151
What do you expect to read from this kind of log. What is best practice to understand transparency.
Merlincool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 21:58   #8904  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlincool View Post
What does x264 log means.

I mean only the part where there is mention

What do you expect to read from this kind of log. What is best practice to understand transparency.
What are you trying to achieve?

Old 22nd September 2019, 00:18   #8905  |  Link
Merlincool

Quote:
What are you trying to achieve?

Nothing. I want to know how you read this log. What is expected for best transparency or how do you judge the video transparency by looking at x264 log. Like I,p,b value,what you observe and decide?
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:18   #8906  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Nothing. I want to know how you read this log. What is expected for best transparency or how do you judge the video transparency by looking at x264 log. Like I,p,b value,what you observe and decide?
Final Rate factor. I then add about .50 to the CRF value from it and hit my 2 pass kbps with Crf that way

Old 22nd September 2019, 10:08   #8907  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
What is best practice to understand transparency.
Transparency is a subjective goal.

My goal is a compromise between quality and size and try to obtain, more or less with a crf 18:

I_QP: 16
P_QP: 18
B_QP: 20

I know it is not absolutly transparent but is enough for me.
I think than crf less than 16 is to waste bitrate but each user must select their goal.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:59   #8908  |  Link
Merlincool

I am sorry guys if my english was too bad or my framing of sentences were poor.

Idk what this means,I have seen under every major places.

Quote:
x264 [info]: frame I:1039 Avg QP:14.13 size:133071
x264 [info]: frame P:28114 Avg QP:15.54 size: 57455
x264 [info]: frame B:107619 Avg QP:17.64 size:31151
How to read from this.
Old 22nd September 2019, 13:25   #8909  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It means x264 used 1039 I frames, 28114 P frames and 107619 B frames.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_..._picture_types

The average quantizer for I frames was 14.13, for P frames 15.54 and for B frames 17.64.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanti...ge_processing)

The average sizes were 133071 Bytes for I frames, 57455 Bytes for P frames and 31151 Bytes for B frames.

So these values are only interesting for computer scientists and not so much for end users.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2019, 19:35   #8910  |  Link
Merlincool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
So these values are only interesting for computer scientists and not so much for end users.
I thought this has some technical details. Sone were I read if ipratio and pbratio is equal that means it's good encode? Or is it something else?
Old 23rd September 2019, 07:43   #8911  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

No, the intention of I/P and P/B ratios is: You can configure the encoder in a way that it uses finer quantization for frames which are used a lot as a reference (the quality of many other frames depends on its precision – thus, mainly I frames) and coarser quantization for frames which only depend on other frames but are not referenced by others (their lack of precision is not inherited and not visible for a long time – thus, mainly B frames). Many people already spent a lot of time in testing which ratios produce a good compromise between efficient encoding and good quality retention. I/P and P/B quantizer ratios don't have to be equal, they may be both small (only little more than 1.0) or both larger or selected independently ... the encoder has its defaults, which may depend on selected presets and tunings, and you can still override them manually. But both are settings to prepare the encoder, not results telling much about the quality of the encoded video.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 07:25   #8912  |  Link
Lord Dredd

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are asking. Make your files direct playable if you have the bandwidth and it wont be a problem!

Juast to speed up things i added --threads 96 to the command line of x264 , but its not encoding at all now
it says unrecognized ..
had to remove threads from it.

also even if cpu is more than 75% free and memory usage in the RDP is around 60 and obviously there is disk usage too , my encoder becomes slow , very slow.

I was under the impression that using megui , x264 is a CPU dependent job but ....
Old 25th September 2019, 13:11   #8913  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Juast to speed up things i added --threads 96 to the command line of x264 , but its not encoding at all now

it says unrecognized ..

had to remove threads from it.

also even if cpu is more than 75% free and memory usage in the RDP is around 60 and obviously there is disk usage too , my encoder becomes slow , very slow.

I was under the impression that using megui , x264 is a CPU dependent job but ....
Threads should be left alone. It will automatically use all your threads/cpu.

Memory depends on resolution etc. That doesn't matter.

If you are indexing or encoding audio it wont use your entire CPU. When its actually encoding x264 it will.

Old 26th September 2019, 07:20   #8914  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

If you manually "tune" for 96 threads, then there is no surprise it goes all slow. There are dependencies between parts of the encoding algorithm. Most threads will have to wait until one thread finished its task, because they need its intermediate results to continue.

Furthermore, the more threads you enable, the smaller is the scope of each thread, and the less efficient is the search for similarities to spare bitrate. That will limit the quality.

The x264 encoder has a pretty smart default strategy. Only change that if you are as smart as all of its developers and contributors...

And the most probable reason for limited CPU utilization are video filters in AviSynth, before the encoder, which may be even less parallelizable (or the AviSynth script does not use multi-threading at all).

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 26th September 2019 at 07:23.
Old 26th September 2019, 17:47   #8915  |  Link
Lord Dredd

Quote:
Threads should be left alone. It will automatically use all your threads/cpu.

Memory depends on resolution etc. That doesn't matter.

If you are indexing or encoding audio it wont use your entire CPU. When its actually encoding x264 it will.

Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
If you manually "tune" for 96 threads, then there is no surprise it goes all slow. There are dependencies between parts of the encoding algorithm. Most threads will have to wait until one thread finished its task, because they need its intermediate results to continue.

Furthermore, the more threads you enable, the smaller is the scope of each thread, and the less efficient is the search for similarities to spare bitrate. That will limit the quality.

The x264 encoder has a pretty smart default strategy. Only change that if you are as smart as all of its developers and contributors...

And the most probable reason for limited CPU utilization are video filters in AviSynth, before the encoder, which may be even less parallelizable (or the AviSynth script does not use multi-threading at all).
Thanks for the clarification
this is one of the usual scripts that i use
hardcoded sub was added only to this one , but it might not have played any part
Quote:
LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Neil\Desktop\MEGUI\tools\lsmash\LSMASHSource.dll")
LWLibavVideoSource("F:\files\TESTmkv\whts.ur.vu.mkv")
#deinterlace
#crop
#resize
#denoise

Last edited by Lord Dredd; 4th October 2019 at 09:33.
Old 30th September 2019, 11:37   #8916  |  Link
Lord Dredd

anyone ??
Old 30th September 2019, 14:03   #8917  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
anyone ??
Is there a question there ?

this is what your script produces at frame 500

Suibtitle in bottom right hand side.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 07:21   #8918  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Well, this script doesn't contain any CPU intense filters. So the AviSynth filtering may not be the bottleneck. I guess his question remains why he feels the CPU not utilized perfectly.

When x264 doesn't use the majority of available CPU time, it's usually a sign that it waits for the video to be delivered. That may start by reading the source from the media ...

New German Gleitz board
Old 3rd October 2019, 05:30   #8919  |  Link
imsrk48

Sir Why MeGUI Not Capturing the Total Time of Process from Starting to Running.

I Have Checked in My Log File There is MeGUI Capture only starting time but not capturing total time taking in running process

i want to submit a log file for show how much time MeGUI taking in a audio encoding. that is Running Continues in processing process even after 20-40+ minutes
imsrk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 09:30   #8920  |  Link
Lord Dredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Well, this script doesn't contain any CPU intense filters. So the AviSynth filtering may not be the bottleneck. I guess his question remains why he feels the CPU not utilized perfectly.

When x264 doesn't use the majority of available CPU time, it's usually a sign that it waits for the video to be delivered. That may start by reading the source from the media ...
Thanks LigH
You are right seems like high amount of reading and writing on the disk even if they are RAID ( 1 or 2) isnt letting things peak, thats the only thing i could deduce considering enough ram is available.
So after so many years of using MEGUI , i am onto handbrake and viola no slow encoding issues with it , wonder why that is ???
Been trying to get all my profile settings to it but there are a few I am unable to figure out

How can i hard code a custom subtitle file something like adding a small text which displays for a few frames
secondly is there any major difference in the way handbrake processes a video and megui does ???
I mean both are x264 or x265 based but ids there any specific drawback of using handbrake.

Personally i love megui but this speed cap has forced me to look for other applications
Thanks

Tags
megui