Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 30th May 2011, 22:10   #1  |  Link
BuddTX

Alternative format (smaller file size) to convert Standard DVD's Movie Only to File

As the people who hang out here are pretty demanding when it comes to making backup's of their DVD, esp as far as the video is concerned, I have a question for us perfectionists!

I have been using the DVD-Rebuilder-pro for years (registered user, of course).

I am now wanting to convert my 4.3 SL dvd's to file, to store on a HD, so that I can play it back on my media Player (Dune Duo).

I know that the Dune Duo will read ISO images, but since the file does NOT have to be MPEG2, I am wondering if there is a format that I should use to convert my 4.3 DVD's to a smaller file, that will give me no loss in video or audio quality. Thw Dune Duo will read almost any media file, so I am betting that compatability is not an issue.

The next question would be, what program should I use to do this conversion?

For most of my movies, I am looking for "movie only" conversion.

I don't mind making a ISO image, but if I can get the same results at 25-50% the original size, I could fit a lot more on one HD.

Thanks!
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 22:34   #2  |  Link
jdobbs

I would keep the audio untouched (keep AC3), convert the video to H.264 (with x264), and store it in an MKV container. H.264 (AVC) is much more efficient than the MPEG-2 used for DVD and you would be able to reduce the storage size significantly without measurable loss of quality. If you do it right, you can also fairly simply move (without any need for reencoding) the audio/video into an alternate container at some point in the future (should you want to) for playback on a Blu-Ray player.

I've done this with several discs. I use MultiAVCHD to convert the DVD into Blu-Ray format (MPEG-2 output without any reencoding), and then use BD Rebuilder to reencode and make the MKV file. You can choose a CRF that floats your boat (in terms of quality) and the space used will be only what is needed to hit that quality level.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th May 2011 at 23:41.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 08:12   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
... I have a question for us perfectionists!
.... I should use to convert my 4.3 DVD's to a smaller file, that will give me no loss in video or audio quality. The Dune Duo will read almost any media file, so I am betting that compatibility is not an issue.
These two assertions are not compatible one to each other. Recompression is always a source of quality loss, that you don't see it at the first glance is however a different issue.
Old 31st May 2011, 13:12   #4  |  Link
varekai

@jdobbs

Sorry for bumpin' in but could you show me the settings for converting a Pal DVD into Blu-Ray format MPEG-2 output without any reencoding?
I'm new to this and can't figure out the settings in MultiAVCHD. The way I'm doing it now BD Rebuilder won't open any of the output files.

Thanks...
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:19   #5  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
@jdobbs

Sorry for bumpin' in but could you show me the settings for converting a Pal DVD into Blu-Ray format MPEG-2 output without any reencoding?
I'm new to this and can't figure out the settings in MultiAVCHD. The way I'm doing it now BD Rebuilder won't open any of the output files.

Thanks...
You just select the DVD folder (containing VIDEO_TS) as input (using the "AVCHD/BDMV/DVD" button) and then choose "Blu-Ray Disc" as output (after pushing the START button).
Old 31st May 2011, 16:41   #6  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I use MultiAVCHD to convert the DVD into Blu-Ray format (MPEG-2 output without any reencoding), and then use BD Rebuilder to reencode and make the MKV file.
Will this method preserve the DVD structure including the menus?

If not, wouldn't it be easier to use a 1-stop application like Handbrake, StaxRip or RipBot264?

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 18:17   #7  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Will this method preserve the DVD structure including the menus?

If not, wouldn't it be easier to use a 1-stop application like Handbrake, StaxRip or RipBot264?

Cheers
manolito
No, it won't preserve the original menus. But it will create a new menu system specific to MultiAVCHD (very handy for series discs). I didn't think the apps you mentioned would read DVD file structures and interpret the titles... but I don't really keep up with them. In fact RipBot264 is the only one I've ever actually used and that was long ago.

I've used MultiAVCHD/BD-RB to combine multiple series discs from DVD (like an entire 39 episode season of Bonanza) and move them to a single BD-25 -- with exceptional output quality.

Last edited by jdobbs; 31st May 2011 at 18:26.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote