Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 17th November 2015, 15:27   #2861  |  Link
Ian_J

I took off ffdshow to try LAVFilters 0.67 but that runs through sampling then crashes part way through the encode.

I'm burned out, can't be any more combinations to try.
Ian_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 16:01   #2862  |  Link
manolito

It has been a while, but I do remember some users who could not get HCenc to run on their Win7 computers (I believe it was over @ VideoHelp).

You could still try if you have more luck if you force FFMpeg instead of HCenc as your encoder...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 17:07   #2863  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Yes... Well, HC is a very intensive and deep system validator... If it starts properly, by encoding few second of movie and then crashes --> very probably something is screwed up in your system (HW? File system? Who knows...)...

Sorry, but I have no additional hints other than for you to try to reinstall from scratch the whole OS on your machine...
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 17:11   #2864  |  Link
Ian_J

I just can't understand why everything worked with the exact same hardware apart from the drive the OS was on.
Old 17th November 2015, 19:00   #2865  |  Link
Ian_J

I've finally got it to go through an entire file without error, but the output is too big for a DVD.

Does AVStoDVD support any other encoders? CCE etc?
Old 17th November 2015, 20:20   #2866  |  Link
manolito

The last AVStoDVD version which supported CCE was version 1.1.3. Very old, not really recommended today...

Current versions only support HCenc and FFMpeg. By default FFMpeg can only be used for high bitrates in CBR mode, but you can get much higher quality from FFMpeg if you use my ffmpeg_VBR plugin:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...23#post1745423

It is a small download, read the included PDF manual and decide if you want to check it out...

Cheers
manolito
Old 17th November 2015, 20:49   #2867  |  Link
Ian_J

I'll definitely check it out, always prefer VBR if possible to get the best quality.
Old 17th November 2015, 21:04   #2868  |  Link
Ian_J

Thanks Manolito,

Just set a recode going, fingers crossed it finishes and fits the disc.
Old 17th November 2015, 22:40   #2869  |  Link
Ian_J

Hi Manolito,

1st video went through fine in 25 minutes, I don't know if I did everything right though as the DVD is only 2.55Gb from a 4.35GB 1280x720p DTS file.

Previously AVStoDVD filled the disc (I understand the savings VBR can make though)

I amended the .bat file as I will always be using FFmpeg and have set my video tab to FFmpeg CBR 1-pass and ticked the Use High Quality Settings.

I locked my AVS Audio and Video Source to FFMpeg Source.

I would like to get a 2 pass encode that makes full use of the space on the DVD.

Is there any way to get that using the settings?

Many thanks

Ian
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian_J; 17th November 2015 at 22:53.
Old 17th November 2015, 23:10   #2870  |  Link
manolito

Hi Ian,

as MrC already suggested, please do not attach log files or other stuff to your post as it can take some days until a moderator approves it. Right now I can't see your attached file.

If I understand you correctly, you always want to use the High Quality 2-pass VBR mode. Please do not do this for bitrates above 7500 kbps, because the ffmpeg parameters are not intended for such high bitrates (ffmpeg might throw an error), and it also does not make much sense. CBR is a better choice in these cases.

You should modify the ff_vbr batch file like this:
Replace the section under the :doit label with:

Code:
:doit
IF [%bitrate%==[ GOTO dont_touch
IF %bitrate% GTR 7500 GOTO CBR
GOTO 2pass
If you cannot fill the disk using this code then the requested bitrate is high enough to reach the max bitrate limit. The only way to get a bigger file size in this case would be to use padding, but ffmpeg does not do this (completely useless, quality would be the same).

Cheers
manolito
Old 17th November 2015, 23:13   #2871  |  Link
Ian_J

Thanks Manolito,

Yeah I realised as soon as I had posted that the image would not show up so just described my settings. I cannot see anyway on the forum to remove the image though.

I have amended the bat file and will run another test.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:43   #2872  |  Link
Ian_J

Those new settings work like a dream.
The original setting took the file to 2.55GB and it looked a bit soft, the new setting nearly filled the disc at 4.24Gb and the picture seems much cleaner.

Thank you Manolito.
Old 18th November 2015, 14:35   #2873  |  Link
manolito

Glad it works for you...

The 2-pass High Quality parameters come from forum member Fishman0919 (whose request triggered the creation of this plugin). According to him these settings give a better result than HCenc for lower bitrates (<= 3500).

If you use this mode for high bitrate conversions, you could maybe tweak some settings (the 2-pass commandline parameters are at the bottom of the script). My experience with tweaking ffmpeg is limited, you would have to test this for yourself.

Cheers
manolito
Old 19th November 2015, 14:29   #2874  |  Link
Przemek_Sperling

manolito, thank you for your help. I experience similar problems like Ian_J (Error Message: 'Warning! Title 1 output Video duration (00:00:00) is shorter than expected duration.') and switching from HCEnc to ffmpeg solved my problem.

What seems to be interesting - I have two machines, one with Win 10 the other with Win 7 (fresh install, I went back from Win 10 to Win 7 due to lacking drivers) and both started to have the problems after LAV filters update (from v. 0.66 to v 0.67). Coincidence? I do not know. I swear I have no problems with cooling the CPUs of the machines, as well as I did not touch HCEnc.
Przemek_Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 14:54   #2875  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Thanks Przemek for commenting. And of course double thanks to manolito for the troubleshooting and for his great work here at doom9...
I was infact wondering why ffmpeg works in the Ian_J scenario and HCEnc isn't...

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 19th November 2015 at 14:57.
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 17:09   #2876  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_Sperling View Post
What seems to be interesting - I have two machines, one with Win 10 the other with Win 7 (fresh install, I went back from Win 10 to Win 7 due to lacking drivers) and both started to have the problems after LAV filters update (from v. 0.66 to v 0.67). Coincidence? I do not know. I swear I have no problems with cooling the CPUs of the machines, as well as I did not touch HCEnc.
Hi Przemek,

this is indeed interesting. On my ancient computer (Intel Celeron 1.1 GHz Coppermine running under WinXP) I have no problems using the latest LAV filters (I use the latest nightly 0.67.0-3).

Could you please go back to version 0.66 and see if this solves the HCenc problem?

Another thing you could try is fix a registry setting which LAV alters upon installation:
Fix_LAV.reg
Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.avs]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.avs]
@=""
"Source Filter"="{D3588AB0-0781-11CE-B03A-0020AF0BA770}"
Save it as a .reg file and run it after the LAV installation. This has saved some folks' butts already...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 19th November 2015 at 17:14.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:46   #2877  |  Link
Ian_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
Thanks Przemek for commenting. And of course double thanks to manolito for the troubleshooting and for his great work here at doom9...
I was infact wondering why ffmpeg works in the Ian_J scenario and HCEnc isn't...
Seconded on the thanks for all the help, I was at the end of my tether trying to get AVStoDVD working again.

Done a few discs now and all works well using FFMpeg VBR.
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:15   #2878  |  Link
Ian_J

I spoke too soon.

Just tried doing a disc with subtitles and they don't work.

I have tried playing the original file and the subtitles work fine.
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:48   #2879  |  Link
manolito

Sorry, subtitles are not my turf, I am totally ignorant about subs. You will have to wait for MrC, but I suppose that he will be quite busy with real life at this time of the year.

What you should do in any case is post your log file (do not attach files in this forum, post the text directly or upload it to SendSpace or ZippyShare).

Whatever, after a crazy year 2015 I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Cheers
manolito
Old 27th December 2015, 23:24   #2880  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

@Jan_J

yes, please, upload the project log file and the subtitles file to convert.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote