Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2016, 10:54   #41101  |  Link
Oguignant

Hi! Is there any manual or web where I can find published information of which is each option in the configuration? I'm new using madvr (only 1 year ago) and I want to understand the differences between the changes I make, specifically upscaling.
Old 3rd December 2016, 14:53   #41102  |  Link
Backflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi! Is there any manual or web where I can find published information of which is each option in the configuration? I'm new using madvr (only 1 year ago) and I want to understand the differences between the changes I make, specifically upscaling.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...84#post1709584

this is also decent starting point if you know absolutely nothing, I'd change a lot of things in that guide but it's good reference point

https://imouto.my/tutorials/madvr/

P.S. Quoting seems to work again.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 15:17   #41103  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...84#post1709584

this is also decent starting point if you know absolutely nothing, I'd change a lot of things in that guide but it's good reference point

https://imouto.my/tutorials/madvr/

P.S. Quoting seems to work again.
This one is also very good : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 15:18   #41104  |  Link
pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Read this Warner306's guide http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 15:47   #41105  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Does anyone else have issues with Windows occasionally locking up to a black screen after exiting/closing a video while in fullscreen exclusive mode? This happened here or there in the past with D3D9 FSE, but with D3D11 FSE it seems to be happening more often (couple times a week). About 5% of the time after closing the player the screen will go black, and I will have to do a hard reset with the power button and reboot the pc.

As a test if I quickly cycle between windowed and FSE over and over occasionally it does the same thing and just crashes to full black screen.

Windows 10 x64
HD 7770 with latest AMD drivers
MPC-HC as player

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I thought it was due to PotPlayer that I sometimes got a black screen for a second or two when closing it but creating a "madVR\DontRenderAfterStop" empty folder fixed it as far as I can tell. Prolly unrelated to your problem, though as I always was able to at least open the taskmanager and kill PotP.
Unfortunately this didn't help. Just got 2 Windows black screen lockups on player exit.

I guess I will have to give up 10 bit support and use D3D11 windowed mode. Having to restart my pc several times a week due to black screen lockup is getting too annoying.

Interestingly, present stats are actually lower in windowed mode and Windows screen saver works again when a video is paused.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:31   #41106  |  Link
burfadel

At least I know I'm not the only one who may have to do a hard reset at times. Sounds like your problems are related to mine.

Last edited by burfadel; 3rd December 2016 at 16:36.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 16:38   #41107  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
At least I know I'm not the only one who may have to do a hard reset at times. Sounds like your problems are related to mine. Why kind of card do you have?
AMD HD 7770, but I also had same issue with 7850.
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:27   #41108  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
I want to report a bug, I can't select chroma quality very high when using luma NGU High.
That's intentional, because luma is much more important than chroma, so it doesn't make sense to use a higher quality setting for chroma than for luma. The settings dialog tries to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Is there any reason why the 'chroma quality' drop down box is greyed out when NGU is enabled and is only available when NNEDI3 is used?
It depends on the NGU quality level. NGU "low" and "medium" quality levels are tweaked for best speed, and for these madVR is forcing the use of a very fast chroma algo, too. It just wouldn't make any sense to use such a fast NGU quality preset for luma, and then to slow things down to a crawl by using a slow chroma algo.

The chroma quality drop down box should become available if you select NGU "high" or "very high" quality levels, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
madshi, anti-ringing checkbox in image downscaling is greyed out for me. Switching to chroma upscaling and back makes it active until I close the settings window.
Oh, I'll have to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman View Post
In "Chroma upscaling" the default setting is now "Bicubic60" while it was 75 before.

Why did this change? Is it better to leave it at 60 now?
It was always a somewhat "random" choice to use 75. I've switched to 60 now because at some point I did some tests and found 60 to be more scientifically "correct" than 75. It's still somewhat of a random choice, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
NGU still oversharpens noticeably on mid-quality SD content.
FWIW, NGU doesn't really intentionally sharpen anything. NGU works by interpreting the source images as a downscaled version of a high-res master, and then NGU simply tries to output a best guess at what the original high-res master might have looked like. This educated guess often ends up looking quite sharp, but there's no artificial sharpening involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'm fine with the new doubling dialogue, turns out it quadruples the lighttower picture when setting NGU to always activate as supersampling (which is no problem since the setting is only for a profile with high scaling factor).
This should work without having to activate supersampling. Quadrupling is only used starting with NGU-Med, though. NGU-Low doesn't ever quadruple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
since v0.91.2 I have a problem when NGU image upscaler uses Bicubic60 to process chroma. The picture is a mess of coloured rectangles and mostly freezed while I can see that the luma part is moving.
Strange stuff. Is it possible you're running out of GPU RAM, maybe? Does lowering the GPU queue size help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I recommend that everyone who wants a particular option available post a screenshot showing the improvement with your content. madshi has always been responsive to suggestions when shown real benefits.
Always a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Also, things in the settings that still need to be clearer:
- "downscale quality" should also say what the algorithm actually is.
- "chroma quality", what is this and why is it active with NNEDI3 but not NGU?
- NNEDI3/NGU, "activate only if it's useful", what is being used to upscale when it's *not* useful?
These thoughts have been posted before and I've already replied to them earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
I only tested this last night but I seemed to get better performance from NGU than NNEDI3 (On a 980Ti).

How is that possible over Pascal cards?
NGU is faster than NNEDI3, that's not a surprise, but it depends also on which NGU quality level and which NNEDI3 neuron count you're using, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvans18 View Post
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/192201 (i think the glitches can be ignored, they only started when i disabled overlay to take the screens)

well i love sharpness, but even for me NGU is too destructive to even clean low res animation compared to nnedi3
Which upscaling factor is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobrd View Post
hi all, i'm a madvr user since many years and i really love it. i use it 90% for bluray upscale to 4k TV.
i like NGU very much and i can't think about using different algos from now on.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispano View Post
I know madshi has implemented a warning for SuperRes but also note this should apply to the "artifact removal" section for "reduce ringing artifacts".
Agreed. I've already thought about adding the warning for that, but then some users mentioned that they still liked to do "reduce ringing artifacts" even when using NGU, so I hesitated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I think its perfectly logical - you want to upscale the image, and all options that affect this process should be combined in one place. It doesn't seem logical that the "downscaling" options would affect the upscaling process - no matter what it does internally.
Agreed, that were my thoughts, exactly. But it seems many users don't like it, so I'm considering changing this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
I think the goal for madshi is to make NGU just an option like Jinc without any drop down menus for upscaling.
That would be nice, but at this point I don't think it's realistic. Maybe I should have pretended from the start that NGU would be a scaler which do any scaling factor, just like Cubic or Jinc scalers, and then internally double and scale down with algos of my choice. If I had done that, probably nobody would have ever complained about my choice of downscaling algos. But now that everybody knows NGU is a doubler like NNEDI3 and super-xbr, most users want control over the downscaling algo. <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
NGU low is a definite improvement over the other "dumb" scalers (jinc, bicubic, lanczos). I think it's the go-to scaler for low-demand laptop playback.

Otherwise, if you can run it, I find NGU high (the new high, old medium) is a breakpoint where the image becomes noticeably better.
Good to hear. From my own tests there's a nice quality step between all NGU quality levels. Depending on the exact test image and scaling factor, sometimes the quality step seems larger between Low vs Med or Med vs High or High vs Very High.

Quote:
I think NGU-Low is great for 720p->1080p upscaling. Switching between NGU-Low and NGU-Very High I see little to no difference with 720p content, except for a very very (did I say very?) small increase in sharpness.

I am now able to run NGU-Low on 720p60 videos, where I couldn't use any NGU levels before with my HD 7770. It's also significantly faster than Jinc+SR2.

There is a bigger difference with SD videos. There is a noticeable quality increase between NGU-Low and NGU-Med, with then smaller increases all the way up to Very High. Surprisingly I am able to use NGU-High on 480p60 videos with render times around 10ms, so it's not much of an issue.

If you are somehow able to make NGU-Low sharper without increasing gpu usage, that would be good though.
Similar impressions to my own.

Not much hope to make NGU-Low sharper (or rather more "focused"), unfortunately. It simply lacks the processing power for that. It's possible I might find some minor quality improvements in the future, but don't expect big jumps, unless there's a new breakthrough in the science at some point in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I wanted to give some feedback on the new settings layout. Personally I do not like it much as I feel its a little confusing. At the same time though I can see the original way was probably not the best either simply because it has elvolved over time. Both ways kind of over complicate the settings. I have a suggestion of a settings layout that may work but at the same time I guess some may not like it and it would be alot of work for madshi given it probably needs the current system demolished and rebuilt...

My idea is under 'scaling algorithms' there should be three sub option windows.

- Movie Original
- Movie Upscaling
- Movie Downscaling

Under each of these settings are dropdown boxes (much like the new doubling options) and other settings that follow the rendering process, from top of page to bottom of page. The user can then choose how chroma / doubling and everything else is handled as it passes through the rendering process.
Not a bad idea, but I see some problems that stop me from seriously considering this approach:

1) Squeezing all the controls for chroma upscaling, image upscaling, doubling and downscaling after doubling into the "Movie Upscaling" settings page would make the page crazy full of controls and it would shy users away.

2) Having chroma upscaling settings in all 3 pages means a lot of redundant controls. Maybe some users would want to use different chroma upscaling settings for the 3 different situations you mentioned, but many users would not. I think many users are happy using just 1 chroma upscaling algo for all situations.

3) The basic concept of your approach can be covered very nicely and easily by using profiles.

Overall I simply don't see this approach as a noticeable improvement over the current approach. Just my own personal opinion, of course. Your approach has some advantages and some disadvantages. So it's simply different, but not better, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I think this is probably something that madshi can fix.

EVR-CP has similar issues after sleep/hibernate, which can be solved by turning on this option:
options > playback > output > reinitialize when changing display

Relevant code:
https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/blo...rPresenter.cpp (starts at line 1627)
I'm already doing something like this in madVR. Maybe there's a difference in what I'm doing, I'm not sure. I'd have to be able to reproduce the issue to be able to really test and fix that. If it's my fault at all.

Quote:
Hi madshi, since you are now also working on simplifying the settings GUI, I have some ideas regarding the presets/profiles.

1) Get rid of the profile groups. It is just unnecessarily complex. Just let presets cover the whole group in each section.
Makes sense for profiles in the "scaling algorithms" section. But there are sections which have very different purposes in other sections (e.g. devices). There having different profile groups may be really useful for some users. Generally, profiles are meant to be for expert users, so I prefer to have them as powerful as possible. I've intentionally hidden the whole profiling system in the context menus so that "normal" users don't even see them, so they don't get confused.

Quote:
2) On the main level in the GUI (e.g. scaling algorithms page) show a list of all presets in that section. Have buttons to remove and duplicate a preset.
3) Always have at least one preset. For example called "default". This one can't be removed. It is used as a fallback.
4) Display all settings pages just once. Have a dropdown box somewhere at the top to select the "current" preset. Simpler GUI and one can quickly compare settings of different presets. Have an entry called "new" at the bottom of the list. When selected, this takes the user to the preset creation page of that section.
Wouldn't all this mean the whole profiling system would be visible for every user, even if it's not activated yet?

Anyway, atm I'm just trying to do the most pressing changes in the settings dialog. I'd much rather like to work on adding new algorithms atm. There might be a whole settings dialog redesign for version 1.0, or maybe for 1.1. Maybe there will be an "expert view" and a "normal view". I haven't got a clue right now. Totally changing the way the profiles work right now is not a good time for me. It would cost a lot of work, and I might have to change it all again for version 1.0.

Quote:
5) Don't use a profile selection script, but instead give each preset a boolean statement that determines if it should get loaded. This has two benefits. First of all, presets become fully independent, making them easy to share/exchange. So we can start making "Doom9 community approved (TM)" optimized presets in the near future. Secondly, it is much easier to have a large number of presets. Non-programmers are often already struggling with relatively simple profile selection scripts. Given the increasing popularity of 4k and 60fps video, plus the availability of HDR and 3D functionality in madvr, the amount of presents can be significant in case of the true enthusiasts.
6) Add buttons to import/export a preset. Preferably in a (human readable) text-based format (xml/ini) for easy sharing.
7) Add a right-click menu to the boolean statement field of the preset. This is used to quickly insert commonly used variables (srcWidth, deintFps, etc) and could even have submenus for stuff like "(deintFps > 31)".
I like the concept of sharing profiles. Might be something to look into after 1.0 release. I'm not really in love with the idea of using simple "one boolean" switchable presets. E.g. consider the following rule set:

Code:
if (deintFps < 31) and (sourceWidth < 1025) and (sourceHeight < 580)
  "highQualityAlgos"
else
  "lowQualityAlgos"
If you try to achieve the same logic with "1 boolean" presets, you'd need multiple presets instead of just 2 profiles. Which means the user would have to change settings in multiple presets instead of just 2 profiles. That makes things much more complicated, IMHO, instead of easier. I do admit that having to write script rules is difficult for many normal users, but then, the whole profile system was always targetted at nerdy expert users. Maybe in a "non-expert view" after v1.0 or v1.1 I could offer a simplified profiling system which doesn't use any scripting but just offers some predefined profiles like "SD 24fps", "SD 60fps", "HD 24fps", "HD 60fps", and madVR would auto switch between them correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Here is another test with an upscaling to UHD
Bicubic150 was never recommended as an upscaling algo. It's a really really very bad upscaling algo. However, it works great as a downscaling algo. So using an upscaling test which uses Bicubic150 for upscaling doesn't have any meaning for how good or bad Bicubic150 is for downscaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
NGU low is great in itself. I actually like its lesser sharpness as compared to the higher versions of NGU. I tend to get distracted by the disproportion that NGU high and NGU very high create in the image in terms of definition of the edges and the texture. Even “soften edges” doesn’t help much there. NGU low is better in that regard. The performance is great too.
Good to hear. Can you share a couple of screenshots which show why you like NGU low better than NGU high? Which scaling factor are we talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
I'm sorry for bothering everyone with my petty problem, but what could be the cause of madVR not detecting any display device at all?
Ouch, that's weird! Seems that the OS APIs to enumerate monitors simply don't report any! Are any monitors listed in your computer's device management? If so, try deleting them, then let device management search for new devices and they should be re-added. Maybe that helps?

Quote:
It's a shame that NGU isn't scalable and just doubles, requiring huge resources to downscale back to native resolution.
JFYI, have you tried using "low" quality downscaling?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:29   #41109  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tFWo View Post
On one hand we have things like the profile system that lets power users configure everything to their liking.

On the other there is the need to streamline/simplify options for normal users.

Every piece of software in the history of the universe has failed at balancing these two hands. Unfortunately I can see the same thing happening to madVR. Power users end up disappointed with the lack of options (compared to the earlier builds) and normal users never have enough knowledge to not be confused with the remaining options. It has all happened zillion times before.
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a "normal" user in regards to madVR though? No one I know in real life has ever used or has a clue what madVR is.

I'm not sure why the new shift to catering towards "normal" users is for. madVR is only used by super nerdy videophiles. And super nerdy videophiles want to customize everything.
It's not a "new shift". I'm always trying to get rid of settings that are not needed (or only needed by an extremely small number of users) to make things simpler.

The main reason why I have changed the "image doubling" settings is that after the initial release of NGU, almost every user tested NGU with bad settings, resulting in much slower performance results than necessary, even though I explained it all in the NGU announcement post.

This made it pretty clear to me that only very few users really understood the old logic well enough to use it "correctly". So something had to change. It was very clear to me, and also to the expert users.

Quote:
Not sure I'm crazy about the limited presets for downscaling after image doubling either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Just another vote in favor of giving advanced users back control of the upscaling / downscaling and chroma settings used with image doubling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
Tend to agree (full disclosure I'm not a software developer nor a UI specialist) ... without knowing madshi's timeline for v1.0 release or what features/functionality comprise that event, I'd be inclined to continue catering to the power users after all they are going to provide the best critique of features and the most difficult to please (as most geeks are ...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
I have tried the newest madVr version and I miss the ability to set the upscaling settings like before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
I would want to choose the upscaling algorithm to be used after image doubling for further upscaling to the target resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Reverting back to v0.91.1, because I can't set the luma to > NGU-med < Lanczos3 AR anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I vote to remove downscaling quality or at least add an option to use the downscaling algorithm.
Quote:
The downscale pulldown menu in the "image upscaling" section is the only thing I find redundant and should probably be removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I was wondering about that too. Noticed that it falls back to simple Cubic interpolation, when the scaling factor drops below a certain threshold. Can this be changed, e.g. to Jinc?
Quote:
I miss having the option to choose my own settings after doubling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I still don't like having downscaling under "image upscaling."
I hear you. I'm considering to change some things. Not sure how yet, we'll see if you like the next build better. It'll likely be some sort of compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
EDIT: I'm a UX Designer, and I think the changes you've made to the Settings UI are very good and quite well thought out. If you wanted, you could even add an "Easy" mode for beginners, with an Image Enhancement page with only Low, Medium, High, and Very High choices. The defaults are that good (assuming use of NGU).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
I like the new interface a lot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post
I also like the new GUI way more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma View Post
I am in favor of the simplifications of the gui. My account may be new but I have been using madvr since more than a year.
Quote:
I also would like to say that I really like the new GUI, found it more intuitive than before, and easier to use for noobs or starters. But as usual you need to know what you are doing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
FWIW I'm ok with the new interface config. The "automatic" option is a really nice idea for casual users like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo91531 View Post
This version feels more simple to adjust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian View Post
I think the new settings dialogues are quite good and very closely correspond to the settings I would use anyway. They are much more friendly to new users.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
I was sceptical at first but I must say I really like the preset approach.
Glad to hear that, thank you!
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:43   #41110  |  Link
burfadel

Ah ok! I didn't have problems on my R9-280X, but the RX 480 is very finnicky. Most stable mode is D3D 11 Windowed, as long as the card doesn't power down if paused when the computer is set to turn the monitor off. Despite what others have said, it resumed and played fine with the R9-280X. If I'm doing encoding in the background sometimes even Windows mode freezes, and a hard reset is required. Mind you I am using Avisynthshader with it, but regardless of that I could run two parallel encodes, madVR, shaders such as enhance detail etc, full screen exclusive DX11, all trade quality for performance settings disabled, smooth motion, error diffusion, NGU scaling etc all enabled and no issues. Absolutely can not do that now! Seems like a compatibility issue.

The hard lockup where you have to reset the computer I believe is because madVR locks the process/handle and it cannot close, which keeps the parent process (the player) in the process list and locked. This could mean the screen is stuck on black, which I get in D3D11 Exclusive, or just the inability to launch the media player in full screen windowed mode again. However, it does play with madVR if not full screen.

Since these and other issues are happening to multiple people there's likely a couple of issues somewhere, but seeing as most other people don't have a problem it may not be resolved unfortunately. Maybe it's even trial and error with purchasing different cards until you find one that works (not feasible, both Nvidia and AMD are affected), not use madVR at all, or just put up with it and gradually kill the computer with all the hard resetting :S.

I did activate debug mode to make the log file, but it became really large really quickly and may not help at all. At this point since it's mostly working apart from the odd freeze requiring a hard reset I'm not going to fiddle with making log files etc. I guess I'll just have to put up with it or stop using it . Not Madshi's fault, I do suspect it's a compatibility issue relating to Windows 10 and the newer card's API support. Remember Windows 10 TH2, RS1, and soon RS2 all have graphical API changes in relation to additional features etc. It's why DirectX 11 is up to 11.4 in RS2.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:22   #41111  |  Link
anta777
Rx470 50VT50

Dear madshi!
You write:
"The chroma upscaling algo does currently not make use of the luma channel. I plan to try adding that to a future NGU version, but that will take serious development time, so don't expect it too soon."

What about the term - one week, one month or big time ?
anta777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:30   #41112  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anta777 View Post
What about the term - one week, one month or big time ?
I can't say for sure. Probably more than a month. There's simply so much still left to do with NGU for luma, and luma has priority.

Atm I'm working on direct NGU quadrupling. First results look nice. It seems that direct quadrupling might beat "doubling twice" in both speed and quality. Speed will probably be slower than I had originally hoped for, but still noticeably faster than doubling twice. It will be at least 1 week until I have some quadrupling NGU version to test, though, maybe longer.
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:39   #41113  |  Link
Telion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Strange stuff. Is it possible you're running out of GPU RAM, maybe? Does lowering the GPU queue size help?
Nope. And I tried in v0.91.1 the same settings that new presets are giving - everything is OK. In v0.91.3, when I switch back and forth between bicubic and NGU low for chroma on the fly while in NGU doubling mode and on pause, the picture immediately switches between a mess and a correct one accordingly.

Last edited by Telion; 3rd December 2016 at 18:45.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:39   #41114  |  Link
hannes69

Feedback for NGU watching lores/lowbitrate content:
Iīm watching snooker at the moment with Kodi + MPC HC + madVR. Iīm watching it with BBC iplayer addon and because Iīm living outside UK Iīm using a proxy (-> low bandwidth -> low video quality). BBC video material has a good quality already with low bandwidth, but it is blurry of course.
I tested all scaling algorithms, and I have to say: NGU is one of the most noticeable improvements in madVR for me!!!
Of course there were other great improvements like the display switcher, dithering, smoothmotion, debanding, profiles and so on, but in regards of scaling NGU tops everything in my opinion.
Back to my example: the material I watched had 512x288 resolution and a bitrate of 544kbps (I consider this really low quality). I scaled it to my monitor resolution of 1680x1050.
What shall I say? NGU has a new dimension in scaling quality. BTW I can use NGU low up to NGU high with high quality downscaling with my very weak Radeon R7 250, thatīs really high bang for the buck...
With low quality scalers the mentioned video material is on the edge being watchable for me; by using NGU itīs absolutely normally watchable without thinking about the bad quality all the time...
NGU beats clearly NNEDI (and of course all other scalers) for me when watching this lowres content.
NGU low is sufficient sharp, NGU medium is on the edge of being too sharp (or there are artifacts or it looks somehow unnatural), NGU high is worse in this regard compared to medium. So I stay with medium at the moment.
I share the opinion that a scaler should produce "the real image" and not add something like sharpening additionally. So NGU low/medium seem to look more natural/unprocessed to me than NGU high.
Of course high quality content is another story (havenīt had the time to test that much).

NGU is an impressive improvement in scaling to me. Because:
I normally go mostly for judderfree playback (-> custom resolution / smoothmotion) and color accuracy (->calibrated monitor and beamer), scaling was for me a thing for microscope nerds using 800% magnifying and watching for single pixels. In normal usage scenarios I often didnīt see differences between several scalers, linear light, debanding, dithering and so on (sometimes I thought I saw something, most of the time it was placebo I think). NGU is a completely other story. I see CLEARLY the difference compared to other scalers, it CLEARLY wins in regards of quality and performance and I didnīt have to use 800% magnified pictures to find out about that.

Many thanks to madshi for investing his (free-)time for us videophiles
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 19:13   #41115  |  Link
Knight77

Guys don't get angry OK? I tried to find the answer in the last replies but I'm a bit confused: I updated to the last version and I really cannot find "image doubling" settings anymore. Anywhere. Really nothing not even a drop menu or minimum choice. Is it normal?

Thanks!
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 19:41   #41116  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
Guys don't get angry OK? I tried to find the answer in the last replies but I'm a bit confused: I updated to the last version and I really cannot find "image doubling" settings anymore. Anywhere. Really nothing not even a drop menu or minimum choice. Is it normal?

Thanks!
See here : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...98#post1787798
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 20:49   #41117  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
The hard lockup where you have to reset the computer I believe is because madVR locks the process/handle and it cannot close, which keeps the parent process (the player) in the process list and locked. This could mean the screen is stuck on black, which I get in D3D11 Exclusive, or just the inability to launch the media player in full screen windowed mode again. However, it does play with madVR if not full screen.
Do you still get Windows locking to black screen in fullscreen windowed mode too or only exclusive?

I switched to windowed D3D11 a few days ago, and just had the same thing happen right now. Had to do a hard reset and reboot.

I did still have empty DontRenderAfterStop folder in madVR folder. I removed that and will see if it keeps happening again.
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:11   #41118  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Hi guys. I have a challenge for you. You must download them and compare them in fullscreen and try to identify which Option goes with the right settings. After some time I will be posting the results.

This is the link: http://imgur.com/a/zmRYh

Movie Resolution: 720x480
Output Resolution: 1920x1080

In both options I just doubled resolution once and only in Luma, so downscaling algo is not relevant. So this test is basically to see if you are able to see differences after doubling between Jinc AR and Bicubic 60 AR.

One of the options is with 0.91.1. Settings:
Remove Banding: Medium/High
Chroma: NGU High
Luma Doubling: NGU High
Image Upscaling: Jinc AR
Downscaling: Not relevant.
Add grain and Soften Edges at 1

The other is with 0.91.3 version. Settings:
Remove Banding: Medium/High
Chroma: NGU Very High
Luma Doubling: NGU Very High (all auto)
Downscaling: Not relevant.
Add grain and Soften Edges at 1
Results:

Option 1: It is from version 0.91.1 (Jinc AR)
Option 2: It is from version 0.91.3 (Bicubic 60 AR)

3 votes: 2 were right and 1 was wrong.

Because almost no one tried the challenge I will not be uploading another.

I was really hoping that more people get involved. I wanted to test if the ratio comes closer to 50/50 or not. And also it would have been useful to ask how did you compare the pics (for example if you use 1080p output or 4K), being honest I can't tell the difference between the two from normal view distance in a FHD 32" TV.

Last edited by fedpul; 3rd December 2016 at 21:14.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:22   #41119  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I can't tell the difference between the two from normal view distance in a FHD 32" TV.
Option one has more noticeable noise artifacts than option two.. but that's really about it.
Image analysis by Beyond Compare shows that the changes are so minor that it would be near impossible for anyone to see a difference between them at normal viewing distances.
I'd simply prefer the one with the lower render time (option 2)

Last edited by ryrynz; 3rd December 2016 at 21:24.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:31   #41120  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
now that everybody knows NGU is a doubler like NNEDI3 and super-xbr, most users want control over the downscaling algo. <sigh>
It's just that we've been playing around with all those settings for a long while now and we all got well polished profiles that make us plenty happy. Also, either you feed a very sharp picture to a soft downscaler or the opposite and settings such as AR and LL downscaling are more a matter of personal taste and display dependent than anything else.

Anyway the what catastrophe has already been quite emotional lately so I'm not keen on giving up on SSIM2D100%LL+50%AB downscaling just yet huh, still rocking 0.91.1 and will be eagerly awaiting the next less crippled build please

Last edited by leeperry; 3rd December 2016 at 22:31.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling