Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2006, 18:54   #481  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ck_ View Post
I'm still waiting for the HD divx players to drop in price but it probably won't be until late next year given how the market works.
Indeed...

More competition between chip-set manufacturers would help push prices down.... Especially as Sigma have cornered this sector of the market for a couple of years now!
Old 9th November 2006, 08:39   #482  |  Link
_ck_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Indeed...

More competition between chip-set manufacturers would help push prices down.... Especially as Sigma have cornered this sector of the market for a couple of years now!
Is that single sigma chip still the only HD game in town?
That would explain why HD divx players are still $250+
Maybe the others are focusing on developing AVC/h264 decoding hardware to grab some of the bluray/hddvd market.

Sort-of on topic for this thread, I take that it's impossible to do any kind of near-lossless conversion of h264 to mpeg4-part2, even if the more advanced options of part10 are not being used? I wonder if an optimized process could be written to keep the re-encoding as lossless as possible? What I mean is that an xvid/divx stream that is using qpel and gmc has to be fairly close to the spec of avc/h264, no? I guess I don't know enough to ask the question properly...

Last edited by _ck_; 9th November 2006 at 10:11.
_ck_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 06:17   #483  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

The quantization step is totally incompatible, and that's where most of the quality gets lost. You might be able to reuse motion vectors, since they're post-quantization in AVC instead of pre (like other mpegs), which is good, a lot of time gets wasted there. Hmm, but AVC has more motion vector modes, some of which are incompatible, but at least it's a head start. And it would be quite complex, rearranging b-refs into... something. Overall it's not worth the effort.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 07:26   #484  |  Link
_ck_

Ah I suspected my ignorance was making it sound too easy,
thanks for the clarification foxyshadis...

Last edited by _ck_; 10th November 2006 at 07:30.
Old 10th November 2006, 21:11   #485  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

You know, I can't help feeling there are many members missing out on this great little application... with it being located in this section of the forum 'n all
Old 10th November 2006, 21:16   #486  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Yes, I agree. Sometimes I even get confused where to get the binaries, the PR-Part could be imrpoved to give this great Prog the attention it deserves.
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 07:36   #487  |  Link
_ck_

Anyone with a DVP642 should be aware of it.
Either that or they are cursing half of their disc burns that don't work or they are wastefully doing complete re-encodes.
Old 11th November 2006, 12:13   #488  |  Link
bond

afaik mp4box also drops delay frames (its full of workarounds and fixes for avi and vfw)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 19:01   #489  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
Also I'd like to point out a growing problem with it not adapting to the use of large fonts
You can try out this version, it should look better. It looks ugly with normal size fonts though .

Quote:
ps. was the feature request to remove nvops from already non-packed bitstreams ever looked at? this is still a problem with dvp642 hardware dvd player and audio-sync
I looked at it a bit but it seemed difficult. I might be able to figure it out if I focused on it enough, I don't know.
Old 14th November 2006, 11:25   #490  |  Link
_ck_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moitah View Post
You can try out this version, it should look better. It looks ugly with normal size fonts though
Just wanted to let you know the normal fonts version does indeed solve the issue here. I've seen other apps that can adjust the window size automagically if the system is set to use large fonts but I couldn't begin to suggest how it's done.

Allowing the window to resize might be a workaround?
Old 21st December 2006, 02:07   #491  |  Link
dwallersv

I screwed up and used a FourCC code that some of the Divx tools don't like. I need to change it without having to re-encode a bunch of files, if at all possible.

Thought this tool would do it, but I don't see any way to modify the FourCC code with it (can read it out in the Info screen, but that doesn't help).

Am I missing something with MPEG4Modifier, or is there a different tool that will do the trick?
dwallersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 02:10   #492  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Try NIcs FourCC Changer, its inkluded in KOEPIs XVID Build an sure is available somewhere on the net, maybe dvdrhelp.com? doom9 download-sektion? google it
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 02:18   #493  |  Link
dwallersv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Try NIcs FourCC Changer, its inkluded in KOEPIs XVID Build an sure is available somewhere on the net, maybe dvdrhelp.com? doom9 download-sektion? google it
Thanks

Now I just have to find the program...
dwallersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 11:00   #494  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallersv View Post
Thanks

Now I just have to find the program...
Here you go...
Old 31st December 2006, 12:43   #495  |  Link
Lord_KiRon

Hi !
I have a lot of files that won't open in MPEG4-Modifier giving something like "This is not valid MPEG-4 video (startcode not found on the beginning of the frame). Codec DIV3" or "This is not valid MPEG-4 video (startcode not found on the beginning of the frame). CodecMP43".
However both WMP and other soft players as well as my hardware based players (one MTK and one Sigma EM8620 based) play the file fine.
No other utility gives an error ...
Can you please explain why it happens ? If needed I can provide samples ...
Lord_KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 13:15   #496  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Microsoft MPEG-4 and DivX ;-) 3.11 aren't actually MPEG-4, they're based on an early draft, so you'll always get that message. You have to translate them into real MPEG-4 with another tool to use this one. YAMB/MP4box might be able to do it, but then you don't have an avi anymore.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 14:09   #497  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Nope MP4Box doesn't support that files but there is a ffmpeg build somewhere in this forum to convert this kind of files losslessly...

I can upload it if necessary.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 15:00   #498  |  Link
Lord_KiRon

Well the tool that REALLY converts DivX 3.11 or old ASF to MPEG-4 compliant LOSSLESSLY would be really welcome , I never knew such tool exists.

About my post - I still think MPEG-4 Mod. should hand this files at least for changing AR.
Lord_KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 15:19   #499  |  Link
bond

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=85229

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 00:43   #500  |  Link
Moitah

1.4.4 released. Fixes problem where DivX subtitles were broken after being run through MPEG4 Modifier, added *.divx extension to the file dialogs, and provides a default filename when saving (same as the source filename).