Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 22nd January 2004, 19:48   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Guide to Inserting a Blank Cell at End of Title

Inserting a Blank Cell at end of Title
Courtesy of 2CL

Many thanks to Jeff (geffroman) on his successful beta-testing with my guide!

[Feb 5 2004 update] Guide has been rewritten and shortened.

Free Tools I used
IFOedit 0.95/0.96
BlankVob

This is pretty the much the concept as my other guide, 2COOL’s guide to adding a “Insert Disc 2” clip, but wanted to document it as a separate guide. There are some Titles that don’t have a short blank dummy clip at the end. This is useful as then you can chapter skip at the last chapter instead of fast forwarding. This guide will help you do just that. Of course, you still have to have your IFO PUOPs (Prohibited User’s Operations) unchecked so that your chapter skipping feature is not disabled. With that said, read on.
1. Open up your movie’s IFO in IfoEdit and look in you VTS Overview. My movie is in PGC_1 and according to my last chapter, it’s not a blank cell. Usually it’s a cell that has a time of 00:00:01.00 or less. Since this example doesn’t have one, we need to insert one in.
Code:

PGC_1 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 1] [00:29:15.01 / 30 fps] (Programs: 4) (Cells: 4) (uses VOB-IDs: 3)
  [Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] [V/C Id:  3/ 1]   : time: 00:07:31.20 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:07:31.20] [Frames: 13550]
  [Ch 02] [Pg 02] [Cell 02] [V/C Id:  3/ 2]   : time: 00:10:42.12 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:18:14.02] [Frames: 32822]
  [Ch 03] [Pg 03] [Cell 03] [V/C Id:  3/ 3]   : time: 00:01:40.21 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:19:54.23] [Frames: 35843]
  [Ch 04] [Pg 04] [Cell 04] [V/C Id:  3/ 4]   : time: 00:09:20.08 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:29:15.01] [Frames: 52651]

PGC_2 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 2] [00:01:49.01 / 30 fps] (Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 2)
  [Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] [V/C Id:  2/ 1]   : time: 00:01:49.01 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:01:49.01] [Frames: 3271]

PGC_3 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 3] [00:00:06.00 / 30 fps] (Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 1)
  [Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] [V/C Id:  1/ 1]   : time: 00:00:06.00 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:00:06.00] [Frames: 180]

PGC_4 (program chain): [Title(TTN): 4] [00:00:06.00 / 30 fps] (Programs: 1) (Cells: 1) (uses VOB-IDs: 1)
  [Ch 01] [Pg 01] [Cell 01] [V/C Id:  1/ 1]   : time: 00:00:06.00 / 30 fps  [Pos: 00:00:06.00] [Frames: 180]

In this step, write down the VTS_PGC_# that you want to insert a blank cell into it.

PGC_#: ______
2. We’ll be doing some IFO editing in following steps so I highly recommended that you backup/save your IFOs and BUPs to another folder in case you mess up in editing. If you do then you can just copy the original IFOs and BUPs back over your badly edited ones and then click on “Get VTS Sectors” button for sector corrections.

Write this new number down.

(NEW) Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS: _____

Here’s the before and after edit.
Code:
OLD > Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS  4
NEW > Number of VOBs in VTS_VOBS  5
Also, we need to find out the next VOB ID so scroll down to the last VOB ID in this table. We don’t need to edit it but if we increment this value by one, that’s our new VOB ID for our blank cell we will be inserting. Write this down.

New Cell VOB ID : ______
4. Now go to your PGC_# in / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_#. Increment the current “Number of Programs” and the “Number of Cells” by one. To do so, double left click on line and enter new value. For example...
Code:
OLD > Number of Programs        4
OLD > Number of Cells           4  

NEW > Number of Programs        5
NEW > Number of Cells           5
5. You’ll be doing a lot of window refreshing throughout this guide as IfoEdit doesn’t automatically refresh for you to see your edits so here’s a personal trick I do. Double click on “Show Reserved Values” checkbox located bottom left.
OLD > Program_5: Entry cell number         4

NEW > Program_5: Entry cell number         5
Cell_1: has Cell ID        1
Cell_2: has VOB ID         3
Cell_2: has Cell ID        2
Cell_3: has VOB ID         3
Cell_3: has Cell ID        3
Cell_4: has VOB ID         3
Cell_4: has Cell ID        4
Cell_5: has VOB ID         #
Cell_5: has Cell ID        #
Remember in Step 3, we wrote down our New Cell VOB ID value? Well, that’s the value we will be for Cell_5 here. Also Cell_5 Cell ID will always be “1”. So, double click and change each ID accordingly.
Code:
NEW > Cell_5: has VOB ID         5
NEW > Cell_5: has Cell ID        1
8. We need to add configure our new cell as a new chapter so go to / PTT_SRPTI. Since we are working on PGC_1, we need to do some our edits in TTU_1. So if you were working on PGC_2, then TTU_2 is where you need to be. Anyway, this is what I have in TTU_1.
Code:
TTU_1 PTTs:		
    PTT_1: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_1: Program number (PGN)                  1	
    PTT_2: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_2: Program number (PGN)                  2	
    PTT_3: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_3: Program number (PGN)                  3	
    PTT_4: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1	
    PTT_4: Program number (PGN)                  4
According to our New Number of Programs in Step 4, I have 5 programs. In this table…
  • Number of chapters = Number of Programs

So since I have 5 programs in this examples, I should have 5 chapters or PTTs (Part of Titleset Title). Got it? Good!

Now, if you have extra PTTs present, just right click on last PTT and select “Delete Chapter”. Keep repeating from the last PTT until your desired Number of chapters is achieved. So in this guide’s example, I would stop at 5 PTTs remaining.

If we initially had a lower amount of PTTs like 4, then we need to add a new PTT so that would it make it 5 PTTs, which is what we want. It’s easy, just right click on last PTT and select “Add chapter”.

At this point, we should have our desired number of PTTs (chapters) achieved so now we need to edit our last chapter’s values. See the pattern of our PTT_#’s values in example below? 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4. Well if you haven’t figured it out, PTT_5 will be 1-5 so double click on values and change them accordingly.

Code:
TTU_1 PTTs:		
    PTT_5: Program Chain number (PGCN)           0
    PTT_5: Program number (PGN)                  1
This is our desired end results on what we should have.
Code:
TTU_1 PTTs:		
    PTT_5: Program Chain number (PGCN)           1
    PTT_5: Program number (PGN)                  5
10. We need add a new VOB to our TitleSet. We are going to use a free tool called BlankVOB, courtesy of Doom9 user jsoto. It's pretty easy to figure out. Here it the download link and settings you will follow.

BlankVob.exe

Output File:

Our Titleset has only VTS_01_1.VOB and VTS_01_2.VOB. Our new added VOB will be the next one in line so it will be VTS_01_3.VOB. So for the Output file in BlankVOB, browse to your movie folder and edit the filename as VTS_01_3.VOB.

Ex. C:\My Movie\VTS_01_3.VOB

Vob_Ids:

From step 7, we got our new VobId and we will be using this info. We got a 5 for this guide's example so click only on "From" drop down list and select 5

Cell_Ids:

Our new cell ID will always be one so we don't need to touch this section as 1 is set as default.

TV-SYSTEM:

Self explanatory

Mode:

Select "Simple"

With settings set, click on "GENERATE" button and when you browse to your movie's folder and titleset, you'll now see your newly added VOB.
14. In Stream List window, click on “Check All” button. We need to keep everything! Click on “Strip it” button and process will start. If you want to process to speed up, drag the process window below your task bar. This is an IfoEdit trick.
   	  Title   1: VTS_01_*, TTN_1 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 4) (Start Sector 8234)		
   	  Title   2: VTS_01_*, TTN_2 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 1) (Start Sector 8234)		
   	  Title   3: VTS_01_*, TTN_3 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 1) (Start Sector 8234)		
   	  Title   4: VTS_01_*, TTN_4 (Angles: 1) (Chapters: 1) (Start Sector 8234)
My movie’s PGC_1 that we were editing was in my video titleset 1 (VTS_1) so according to above, that’s my Title 1. TTN_1 means Titleset Title Number which is also my PGC_1 in VTS_01. We just need to know the Title # before going to next step. Go to your Title in question.
18. With Title # in mind, go to / VMG_PTT_SRPT / Title_1: Number of chapters (PTTs). This value should match the same as your new Number of Programs in Step 4. Number of Programs equal Number of chapters.

Code:
OLD > Title_1: Number of chapters (PTTs)    4
NEW > Title_1: Number of chapters (PTTs)    5

Last edited by 2COOL; 19th February 2004 at 07:24.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2004, 22:50   #2  |  Link
Dave82
vobclips.com

Great work (as usual) and really useful!
Just a couple of things:
- IMHO, to change the VOB ID, using MenuEdit free version would be much easier than exploring navigation packs
- Why do you need to do join CellVOB files? What does it do? What's the difference between this command and Join Clips? (I've never really known )
I mean, in your example at the end you obtain 3 VOBs, not 2, don't you? Otherwise you wouldn'have increased the number of VOB files in your IFO, I think. Am I on the right way? So I suppose Join CellVOB files doesn't join the vobs, does it?
But please, could you give me one of your clear explanations?
Thanks!

P.S. of course these things concern the other twin-guide you posted too, the one about "Insert Disc 2" clip.
Old 22nd January 2004, 23:13   #3  |  Link
2COOL

@Dave82

I'm at work right now and so I'm going through images in my mind. I'll try to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave82
- IMHO, to change the VOB ID, using MenuEdit free version would be much easier than exploring navigation packs
I know MenuEdit can change IDs. Just can't confirm if that's also a unregistered feature too though. Call me old school, but I've always done it the VobEdit way. Besides, you get to learn something about what's inside a VOB.
Quote:
- Why do you need to do join CellVOB files? What does it do?
Basically, it joins separate VOBs and the VOBs will be splitted in 1 GB files.
Quote:
What's the difference between this command and Join Clips? (I've never really known )
When using Join CellVOBs, you keep your original VOB IDs and Cells Ids and when your using Join Clips, you have to input a start VOB Id and your original IDs get re-ordered according to start ID. That's why we wanted to keep our original IDs at the end and just add a new one. VobEdit does not edit the IFO when doing changes. You can read up on it here.

Quote:
I mean, in your example at the end you obtain 3 VOBs, not 2, don't you? Otherwise you wouldn'have increased the number of VOB files in your IFO, I think. Am I on the right way?
don't be confused by Number of VOBs as the actual number of VOB files. The Number of VOBs is referred to the number of VOB IDs. I guess Derrow should clarified that better.

Quote:
So I suppose Join CellVOB files doesn't join the vobs, does it?
It does and again, all original IDs are retained.

Last edited by 2COOL; 23rd January 2004 at 03:29.
Old 22nd January 2004, 23:30   #4  |  Link
Dave82
vobclips.com

Thanks very much!
Quote:
I know MenuEdit can change IDs. Just can't confirm if that's also a unregistered feature too though.
Yes, it is
One last question: if the PGC to which you want to add a blank cell is the only one or the last one in your titleset, you don't need to join the vobs, do you? (I know, it's not such an hard work to do, but my great desire for knowledge pushes me to ask and ask and ask again...)
Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2004, 23:37   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave82
One last question: if the PGC to which you want to add a blank cell is the only one or the last one in your titleset, you don't need to join the vobs, do you? (I know, it's not such an hard work to do, but my great desire for knowledge pushes me to ask and ask and ask again...)
Thanks!
You know, I think it may still work but I wanted the VOBs to conform to DVD Specs as much as I can. That's like saying that I can demux my whole titleset in separate chapter VOBs and renaming them accordingly. I'd rather join them as much I can get in separate 1 GB files.
Old 23rd January 2004, 20:53   #6  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
One last question: if the PGC to which you want to add a blank cell is the only one or the last one in your titleset
Yes, at least it works fine to me. I usually skip the manual work of joining when adding vobids at the end and/or begining of the VTS.

jsoto
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2004, 21:17   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Last edited by 2COOL; 6th February 2004 at 04:54.
Old 16th March 2004, 01:58   #8  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

I really hate intro titles you cannot escape with next chapter, and IMHO this is a very useful guide.

So.........

I wrote a little (well, it has not been so easy...) app, following this guide and including some improvements:
- No need to strip. Ultra Fast application!!
- New Blank Cells (one per chapter) can be append to the last Vob file or included in a new vob file.
- Auto_select titles with last chapter shorter than 1 sec.

As usual, the tool is open source and any bug report is welcome.
AddChapter_exe.zip

AddChapter_src.zip

jsoto
Old 16th March 2004, 04:57   #9  |  Link
2COOL

@jsoto

Thanks for the tool!

When I process the first TitleSet, it works fine and the "Do It!" button is disabled. But when I browse to another IFO, the button is still disabled. The only workaround is to close the tool and open another IFO.
Old 16th March 2004, 19:45   #10  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Well, not really a bug, it was how I've coded it. I mean, it is dangerous to do not disable the Doit button (a doble click could cause two chapters insertion and you will lose your IFO backups)

But, as you say, it can be enabled again with a new browse. Done in AddChapter 1.0.0.2, same links.

BTW, please check carefully the cases when the IFO must grow (you know, adding a cell can cause a table grows over n*2048 bytes).

Also, check if sectors are corrected. For your info, Addchapter does not calculate the sectors, only adds to the original value the number of 2048 sectors added (5 per blank cell + IFO growing if it is).

jsoto
Old 17th March 2004, 14:23   #11  |  Link
violao

jsoto,

Could this tool be modified to provide for adding blank cells to empty menu PGCs? This would eventually solve problems associated with burning "empty" menus (VTS_XX_0.VOB with 0 KB size).
violao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2004, 20:40   #12  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

@violao
Probably it can be modified (or other tool can be written based in this one), but I need to know what has to be exactly done in IFO's. Do you know the answer?, seems 2COOL doesn't (I also don't).

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL
I'm not trying to avoid you on this as I honestly don't have an answer. I know what you are saying but I still haven't figured out how to fix the problem. A perfect DVD example is Scooby-Doo meets Batman Region 1. During my earlier days of backups, this was a problem DVD for me and still is. It had a VTS_02_0.VOB and VTS_03_0.VOB and both were at 0 KB. Nero hates files under 2 KB. Even viewing them in VobEdit resulted in no data. I mean, there was no detection of VOB data so I had nothing in my left pane. I tried a few tricks recently but no go. Sorry, for the moment, I'm still stumped on this situation.
jsoto
Old 20th March 2004, 03:06   #13  |  Link
geffroman

Re: Guide to Inserting a Blank Cell at End of Title

Quote:
Inserting a Blank Cell at end of Title
Courtesy of 2CL

Many thanks to Jeff (geffroman) on his successful beta-testing with my guide!

[Feb 5 2004 update] Guide has been rewritten and shortened.

Free Tools I used
IFOedit 0.95/0.96
BlankVob

This is pretty the much the concept as my other guide, 2COOL’s guide to adding a “Insert Disc 2” clip, but wanted to document it as a separate guide.
Awesome guide ! Hadn't read it after you updated it until today...
geffroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2004, 05:06   #14  |  Link
2COOL

@geffroman

What took you so long?
Old 20th March 2004, 09:49   #15  |  Link
geffroman

Quote:
@geffroman

What took you so long?
Been working my brains out... I finally got started on my web site... Have tons to finish but I got the new Free Video Clips section going... I just posted Schindler's List and LOTR Return of the King...

I will be adding many generic clips like before and I also have a few folks submitting some really cool clips which I will be posting to the site as well... We are even taking requests for custom clips...

I did as you suggested and have created PAL and NTSC versions of each... In fact each download has 8 versions in one ZIP file:

1) - Insert Disc 2 to Continue... NTSC & PAL
2) - Insert Disc 3 to Continue... NTSC & PAL
3) - Insert Next Disc to Continue... NTSC & PAL
4) - This Item Has Been Removed NTSC & PAL

We also have a link on the clips page to your awesome CLIPS GUIDE..!

Lot's more to do... but that's a start...

To get there just click on FREE DVD STUFF & then VIDEO CLIPS

Last edited by geffroman; 20th March 2004 at 09:56.
Old 20th March 2004, 16:28   #16  |  Link
2COOL

@geffroman

You're just 2CL2!
Old 25th March 2004, 23:32   #17  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Hi,

I've found a non working case in AddChapter, but it's due to my poor knowledge in TTUs.

I need some clarifications about Titles (that means, PGCs) and TTU (Title Unit Search pointers) in PTT_SRPT Table. Can be the number of PGCs higher than TTUs one? And less?. What is the relation between them?

Thanks in advance.
jsoto
Old 26th March 2004, 12:36   #18  |  Link
Dave82
vobclips.com

Titles and PGCs are not the same thing. A title can contain more than 1 PGC (multi-PGC title). The first PGC in a title is an entry PGC, the other ones are non-entry PGCs. TTUs corresponds to the number of titles (so there can be more PGCs than TTUs).
Have a look at this guide where I explained how to create multi-PGC titleset with IFOEdit (especially step 12, where you should find some information about TTUs).
Have a look also at the thread to which I put a link at the beginning of the guide, in which mpucoder explained me the differences between entry and non-entry PGCs.
Old 26th March 2004, 19:02   #19  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
Titles and PGCs are not the same thing
This was my error. Now, after reading those threads, it's crystal clear. Many thanks Dave82.
Well, I'll change AddChapter to manage this in the right way.
jsoto
Old 28th March 2004, 19:18   #20  |  Link
geffroman

Quote:
Originally posted by jsoto
I really hate intro titles you cannot escape with next chapter, and IMHO this is a very useful guide.

So.........

I wrote a little (well, it has not been so easy...) app, following this guide and including some improvements:
- No need to strip. Ultra Fast application!!
- New Blank Cells (one per chapter) can be append to the last Vob file or included in a new vob file.
- Auto_select titles with last chapter shorter than 1 sec.

As usual, the tool is open source and any bug report is welcome.
AddChapter_exe.zip

AddChapter_src.zip

jsoto
Wonderful tool...

What would it take to go a step further and allow the user to select a still clip for insertion as last chapter instead of the default blank?