Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 9th July 2003, 23:41   #1  |  Link
rapjp2001

Any tool to change/correct PCI/DSI information in a VOB?

Hi All,

I have a unusual question --

Is there a tool that will allow for quick correction or modification of the PCI/DSI information in a VOB file...Sorta like the MPEG2VCR function of MPEG GOP Fixer...Where it analyses and allows you to fix it...

Here is the problem.

1: I have a muxed VOB with cell ID's at every minute (due to my standalone DVD recorder).

2: I use this muxed VOB directly (w/o demuxing into el. streams) in DVDLab to create a nice menu and set chapters in the video.

3: When I play back this resultant DVD, I get all standalone DVD players to display a timecode that resets after every minute(at each cell ID change) -- so the timecode starts at 0 and goes to 59 seconds and then resets to 0 at the end of the minute and starts its increment again till 59 seconds....

A friend on the DVDLab forum was kind enough to find the root problem...

Apparently, DVDLab does not update the PCI/DSI information
the PCI/DSI -- the Cell Elapsed Time (BCD) record is not updated, so it starts at 0 then goes till 59 seconds till it finds the next NAV pack where the BCD value is 0 and so the countdown begins till the next NAV pack...

Basically DVDLab is messing things up and I want to see if I can rectify that...Is there anyway to do it...I like the other features of DVDLab and would like to use it over other tools, but this bug is a pain in the ass at the moment...

Thanks
rapjp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 00:47   #2  |  Link
mpucoder

The cell elapsed time should start at zero for each new cell. It is the cell elapsed time, not the program, chapter, or title. What you are missing is a time map for the title PGC that plays this video.
mpucoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 03:27   #3  |  Link
rapjp2001

So is there a way to fix this PGC timemap using some tool like IFOEdit, VOBEdit or any other such tool...

Where exactly should I go looking for this field value in VOB edit...It should be in the NAV pack somewhere, but what is the specific field ID...

Can you be a bit more specific, I am not an expert like you...

Thanks
Old 10th July 2003, 18:46   #4  |  Link
mpucoder

The time map resides in the ifo, it is fairly large. IfoEdit and other authoring programs can create it when authoring. I don't know of any program to add the table afterwards.
Old 10th July 2003, 19:15   #5  |  Link
rapjp2001

MPUCoder, here is more specific information of what DVDLab is doing to the final compiled DVD using the muxed VOB from my standalone recorder (Philips 985)...

The DVD recorder puts 1 new Cell ID every minute, so a 60min show will have Cell IDs from 1 to 60 (61?).

When you use this VOB in DVDlab, the number of Cell IDs in the final VOB created by DVDlab is equal to number of chapters plus one
Ex1 : 0 chapters + 1 = Cell ID 1 only (since you chose not to have any chapters)
Ex2: 5 chapters + 1 = Cell ID 1 to 6, etc.

HOWEVER, some of the information in the NAV pack is not updated, so let's say we take a 60 Cell VOB and create a DVD without chapters, the resulting VOB will have only Cell ID 1 (similar to ex1 above) but the information in the NAV packs are:
- First NAV pack: Cell ID 1, Cell Elapsed Time (BCD) 0 sec
(*assuming* a NAV pack every 0.5sec )
- Second NAV pack: Cell ID 1, BCD 0.5 sec
- Third NAV pack: Cell ID 1, BCD 1sec
so the 120 NAV pack: Cell ID 1, BCD 59.5sec

BUT on the 121'st NAV pack: Cell ID 1, BCD 0sec and the LCD display in the player gets reset to 0

HOWEVER, in the original VOB the 121'st NAV pack was Cell ID 2, BCD 0sec, and because is another Cell ID the LCD displays 1min 0sec and so on. and all is peachy in terms of the player display...

The way I see it, if I knew enough about the DVD structure, all a program would have to do is to open a file and fread() blocks of data based on a size and then go to an offset and be able to modify some values to that they are contiguous...

With that amount of detail, I hope you understand the problem and I do not see how that info. is in the IFO file...It is ALL contained on the VOB file...

Please advise...
Old 10th July 2003, 22:01   #6  |  Link
mpucoder

I think I see what you're trying to do. And DVDLab when it merges several cells into one doesn't correct the cell elapsed time. btw, there are other things it should fix as well, like the "trick play" pointers.

ATM I can't think of a program that does that, having never tried it myself. Maybe someone else has done this, or knows of another app that can either do the merge correctly or fix what you have.

The only thing that comes to mind is to demux and author with IfoEdit. That would require a chapter list, but would create new NAV packs.
Old 11th July 2003, 05:00   #7  |  Link
rapjp2001

Demuxing and authoring is exactly what I am trying to avoid since I may get audio sync issues and I can fix those with AC3 Delay Corrector...but in mast cases it rounds off and there is usually a frame or 1/2 a frame that it is off by and that is unacceptable for me since this is music concerts I am talking about...

God! I thought you would have an aswer for me :-(

Rajiv