Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th September 2010, 00:17   #121  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
I answer to Doom9. He has all the data he needs to determine if I have done anything untoward. I'm still a moderator, so I suppose he doesn't agree with you.

I apologized several times for my mistake in confusing binary/source distribution. Can't you let it go?

Last edited by Guest; 6th September 2010 at 03:26.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:19   #122  |  Link
stax76
Registered User
 
stax76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,787
@neuron2

Does that mean all edits and deleted posts on every thread can be examined by the admin? Is there a time limit the information is kept?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:22   #123  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I apologized several times for my mistake in confusing binary/source distribution. Can't you let it go?
See? You still don't understand a thing.

I don't blame you for that confusion. Everyone makes mistakes. From the beginning, that's never been the problem I had.

The problem is that you are using moderator powers to further your own personal interests and opinions.

Apologize for that, and promise to never again use your moderator powers in a thread where you have any personal interest, and I will accept.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 6th September 2010 at 00:27.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:26   #124  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
@stax76

You'll have to ask Doom9/Swede about what the admins can see. As a simple mod, I can see my deletion and edit histories so I would assume they can as well.

Posts and threads can be soft or hard deleted. We are instructed to do only soft deletes although some obvious spam from new posters is sometimes hard deleted (e.g., wow gold spam). I do not know if the admins can see a trail of hard deletes.

I do not know how long Swede maintains logs, but these recent threads certainly still have visible logs.

Finally, what may look like a hard delete to a normal user may actually be a soft one, and it may also have a copy in the Thread Moderation forum that is not visible to normal users.

Last edited by Guest; 6th September 2010 at 00:31.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:27   #125  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
The problem is that you are using moderator powers to further your own personal interests and opinions.
That is incorrect. I do not do that and I resent your suggestion that I do.

As I explained elsewhere, the licensing issue was actually started by BetaBoy, with whom you have a commercial relationship. My mistake was only being uninformed on the source/binary distinction.

Last edited by Guest; 6th September 2010 at 00:32.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:28   #126  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
That is incorrect. I do not do that and I resent your suggestion that I do.
Let us prove so then.

1. You have a personal interest in DGAVCDecNV and related tools.

2. Therefore, you have a personal interest in a thread about DGAVCDecNV.

3. You used your moderator powers to ban me for posting in that thread.

Therefore, you used your moderator powers in a thread where you had a personal interest.

QED

Accept that you made a mistake, apologize for it, and promise not to do it again. Find another moderator to handle threads where you have a personal interest. This isn't that difficult and isn't the end of the world. But until you do, I, along with an increasing number of Doom9 community members, will be elsewhere.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 6th September 2010 at 00:31.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:38   #127  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
I have already addressed the points of your argument, and I have already placed everything in Doom9's hands. I have no reason to apologize for anything beyond the mistake I have already acknowledged, and I have no intention of doing so.

Can you please take this issue to PM with Doom9, or do you think that you have special privilege to violate multiple forum rules?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:41   #128  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer
 
Dark Shikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
I have already addressed the points of your argument, and I have already placed everything in Doom9's hands. I have no reason to apologize for anything beyond the mistake I have already acknowledged, and I have no intention of doing so.
Then this will be my last post; x264 will permanently leave Doom9.

Doom9 will regret kicking out free software from its community.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 00:48   #129  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
So back on topic...

I have reviewed the MPEGLA license and don't see any clauses about distributions prior to the signing of the agreement.

Regarding diavc.ax used in DGAVCDecDI, I no longer include it in the zip, users have to request it by mail. This allows me to count the number of distributions. I couldn't have done that if it was included in the freely downloadable DGAVCDecDI.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:19   #130  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User
 
linyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Audio Stream - 0x80
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
If I ask Doom9 to review the edits on that thread and he states that I never posted what DS claimed I did and which you questioned, will you apologize for casting doubt on my credibility in this case?
In that single case, sure. Don't bother wasting his or your time though, I'll be departing from Doom9 as well.

for the excellent two and a half years, Doom9, farewell.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:24   #131  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...
 
MatLz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: France
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Then this will be my last post; x264 will permanently leave Doom9.

Doom9 will regret kicking out free software from its community.
Even if you are a great dev, you "aren't" x264. x264 isn't yours and never won't.
It is also a community and a good leader would never act and speak as you did.
That is one of the reasons I never liked you.

I permit myself to be oot too because it's your last megalomaniac post.

Good way though.
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:46   #132  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable
 
Midzuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: offline
Posts: 1,477
Well, now I feel like "confessing" that I have always admired Gabest, Alexander Noe, akupenguin, and Dark Shikari. As for the developers that I do not admire... well, I think everybody already knows who they are.
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 02:59   #133  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
this is getting OT and personal. now, the involved ppl already stated their final position. so please stop adding OT comments.
frankly speaking ppl interested in how licensing works doesnt care of those things.
those are admins problems and should be fixed by them. ofcourse, if you want to discuss that you're free to do it elsewhere but not on this thread.
Thanks.

back on topic. does the MPEG-LA talks about distribution of software without specifying if it does work or not?
i mean, can a patented software that requires a key or something to work be distributed? coz if that's the case, you can exactly know how many working copies are being distributed...
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:05   #134  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
does the MPEG-LA talks about distribution of software without specifying if it does work or not?
No. If the patent is embodied that would require licensing.

EDIT: This is wrong, see below.

Quote:
i mean, can a patented software that requires a key or something to work be distributed? coz if that's the case, you can exactly know how many working copies are being distributed...
I don't think requiring a key changes anything. But even if it did, in my case that wouldn't help because my key covers all my tools and I can't just count how many keys I have issued to know how many people I have distributed diavc.ax to. Down the road, the diavc.ax will come directly from DiAVC, but I want to retain the option to distribute it, so I have signed the MPEGLA license. DiAVC is distributed in China, where the MPEGLA patents are not enforceable, and for which licensing is therefore not required.

Last edited by Guest; 6th September 2010 at 03:49.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:17   #135  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
and... if the binary file is encrypted?
i mean, if i distribute a zipped file that contains a software but the zip is encrypted and requires a password to extract the file.
technically that "binary" is not executable unless you give the user a password do decrypt it (im talking about unique passwords for each zip archive)
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:19   #136  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Checking my license agreement right now...
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:22   #137  |  Link
Guest
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 21,923
Following is the clause:

Quote:
3.4 The Payment of Running Royalties Upon the Sale of AVC Codecs Sold in an
Encrypted, Disabled, or Otherwise Unusable Form (for purposes of this
Section 3.4, collectively “Encrypted Products”).
3.4.1 Royalties pursuant to this Article 3 are payable upon the Sale of
Encrypted Products in which the AVC functionality of the Encrypted
Product is encrypted, disabled or otherwise unusable only:
3.4.1.1 upon the distribution of a key or other instrumentality
allowing the Encrypted Product to be used to decode and/or
encode bit streams compliant with the AVC Standard; or
3.4.1.2 if the encryption, disablement or other method employed to
prevent use of the Encrypted Product is generally breached;
royalties for all such Encrypted Products Sold shall
immediately become payable pursuant to Article 3; or
3.4.1.3 if Licensee fails to take reasonable steps to insure that the
AVC functionality is encrypted, disabled or otherwise
unusable, royalties for all such Encrypted Products Sold
shall immediately become payable pursuant to Article 3.
Since DiAVC controls the key to unlock diavc.ax, and I have no knowledge or control of that, I have to assume that any binaries I distribute are or will become usable.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:46   #138  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
interesting
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
neuron2 qed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.